Darlington V Sunderland

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Sunderland

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:42 am

A more positive performance.

Darlofan97

Re: Darlington V Sunderland

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:50 am

I wouldn’t say so. Defensively we are poor. Really worrying that AA had to put Purver at centre half for some communication.

Two centre halves needed, and quickly.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:01 am

What was the score?

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:04 am

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:01 am
What was the score?
1-1
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:02 am

I thought it was pretty poor to be honest. We all know the weaknesses in defense but going forward we barely created any clear cut opportunities against an average Sunderland team who lost to Whitby. Some good individual performances from Hedley, Hope, KDS and Ravenhill but I'm struggling to be optimistic at the moment.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:40 am

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:02 am
I thought it was pretty poor to be honest. We all know the weaknesses in defense but going forward we barely created any clear cut opportunities against an average Sunderland team who lost to Whitby. Some good individual performances from Hedley, Hope, KDS and Ravenhill but I'm struggling to be optimistic at the moment.
Agree.
Season starts in a week and we look woeful in attack and defence. Seen them 3 times now and sorry, but some of his signings are not good enough. He even had to move a midfielder to defence “ because the centre halves don’t talk”. What!
His words, “ we still need two centre halves and a fit Nelson”. Well sorry AA but You said yourself he’s at least 8 weeks away and you are responsible for our lack of decent centre halves a week before the season starts.
This team is easily weaker than the last two seasons.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:58 am

It does seem we are a bit underprepared for the season. Some of that has been unavoidable - it was simply bad luck that covid wiped out our first couple of weeks of preseason. However, Armstrong's gamble with transfers has left us short in some key areas. It may all still come together in the next week or so if those players he's been talking to don't get fixed up with a pro club, and if a few first team players sign then we'd look much stronger. But if it doesn't, we're looking midtable at best at the moment.

One thing in our favour this year is that the start of the season isn't as carnage as usual. If we do have a slow start then we won't be as far behind as in previous seasons.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:26 pm

That was an OG by Beeden last night, I was right in line with the ball and it was going wide before he put it in. He didn’t even attempt to clear it, I don’t think he is ready and we need to get a centre half in sharpish!
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:35 pm

Must admit central defence is the area that worries me the most. Surely we can not go into the season with just 2 young central defenders and no back up. I am sure AA will be pulling out all the stops to bring in at least one experienced centre half before the Telford game.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:17 pm

What is Gary brown doing this season? Aren't shields going full time?

I'm not usually one for going back, but I do love browny and he would provide all the things we don't currently have.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:35 pm

It's easy to get the impression that everyone else is looking good and fully prepared for the new season. But take Telford as an example. Their fans are worried that they look a little fragile at the back and struggle for goals. They recently toiled against Stafford Rangers and only got an equaliser with a late penalty, were beaten by Caernarfon Town and Rushall Olympic and drew with Nuneaton. And they have brought in a big, experienced centre back in Nathan Pond. I'll be judging our recruitment when everything's in place and we've had the chance to assess how we measure up when the action really begins.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:47 pm

LoidLucan wrote:It's easy to get the impression that everyone else is looking good and fully prepared for the new season. But take Telford as an example. Their fans are worried that they look a little fragile at the back and struggle for goals. They recently toiled against Stafford Rangers and only got an equaliser with a late penalty, were beaten by Caernarfon Town and Rushall Olympic and drew with Nuneaton. And they have brought in a big, experienced centre back in Nathan Pond. I'll be judging our recruitment when everything's in place and we've had the chance to assess how we measure up when the action really begins.
Exactly this. Doubtless if we lose to Telford, some will be straight on here or the Tin Shed writing the season off (I’m looking at you Quakerlad).

I reckon some would be quite happy if we start badly, as it would give them something to whinge about.

But I’d like to think most right-minded fans would at least give a little time to allow things to settle down and let the new team gel.

Given the turnover in the squad, we can’t be expecting a promotion push this season. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love a charge for promotion, and AA may land a couple of coups in the coming weeks. And certainly if we have a slow start, I won’t be writing the season off like some will (yes you again Quakerlad).

But right now, I’m not expecting promotion and I think others should temper expectations too.

The squad feels very transitional and a top half finish with the bulk of the team settled would do for me this time out. If we’re in the position where we have settled squad, which only needs a couple of additions for a promotion push in 22/23, that suits me. Others will disagree but I think that’s realistic at this stage.

Clearly pre-season and the transfer strategy hasn’t gone to plan, and there are legitimate concerns about how the club have gone about it. But we’ve got money to play with and time too. So let’s not get on AA and the squad’s backs if things start slowly.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:16 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:47 pm
LoidLucan wrote:It's easy to get the impression that everyone else is looking good and fully prepared for the new season. But take Telford as an example. Their fans are worried that they look a little fragile at the back and struggle for goals. They recently toiled against Stafford Rangers and only got an equaliser with a late penalty, were beaten by Caernarfon Town and Rushall Olympic and drew with Nuneaton. And they have brought in a big, experienced centre back in Nathan Pond. I'll be judging our recruitment when everything's in place and we've had the chance to assess how we measure up when the action really begins.
Exactly this. Doubtless if we lose to Telford, some will be straight on here or the Tin Shed writing the season off (I’m looking at you Quakerlad).

I reckon some would be quite happy if we start badly, as it would give them something to whinge about.

But I’d like to think most right-minded fans would at least give a little time to allow things to settle down and let the new team gel.

Given the turnover in the squad, we can’t be expecting a promotion push this season. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love a charge for promotion, and AA may land a couple of coups in the coming weeks. And certainly if we have a slow start, I won’t be writing the season off like some will (yes you again Quakerlad).

But right now, I’m not expecting promotion and I think others should temper expectations too.

The squad feels very transitional and a top half finish with the bulk of the team settled would do for me this time out. If we’re in the position where we have settled squad, which only needs a couple of additions for a promotion push in 22/23, that suits me. Others will disagree but I think that’s realistic at this stage.

Clearly pre-season and the transfer strategy hasn’t gone to plan, and there are legitimate concerns about how the club have gone about it. But we’ve got money to play with and time too. So let’s not get on AA and the squad’s backs if things start slowly.

Agree with this 100%

Even Spennymoor up the road look like they are struggling to recruit, even with all those ‘vibes’ going on up there!

The team photo yesterday showed they only have 16 players currently- don’t get me wrong it’s arguably a stronger 16 than we have right now , but if you took Taylor and Curtis out of it I think the two squads aren’t miles apart

AA will still have irons in the fire , it just might take a little longer than he would like

Like gramps says a bit of a rebuild this season to then kick on next and a cup run and I’d be happy

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:58 am

Darlogramps wrote:

But that’s exactly what you are doing here Gramps (writing the season off)!

Ie: we can’t be expecting a promotion push, temper expectations, top half finish would do for you!

All you’ve done here is exactly what I have previously said about AA messing up our summer recruitment but in a more articulate way!

Pleased we are on the same page.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:19 am

I am actually a little bit upbeat about this season.

Last season I felt less optimistic than the general mood on here but this season weirdly it seems it's the other way around.

I think most if not all of the new signings look good or promising or give us something we didn't have. And I would expect us to make more signings too. I don't think Armstrong has ballsed it up this summer at all. We needed a major rebuild and there are clubs around us who can offer a higher league or a full time gig or have a bigger budget. It's never going to be easy for us.

My only hope for the season is that its one free from Covid disruption - which I think is doubtful - and that we are better at home with fans in than we were last season. One thing we have in our favour in this division is a proper support. Got to make that count.

Darlogramps

Darlington V Sunderland

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:01 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Ie: we can’t be expecting a promotion push, temper expectations, top half finish would do for you!

All you’ve done here is exactly what I have previously said about AA messing up our summer recruitment but in a more articulate way!

I’m not writing anything off. It’s only “writing the season off” if you view promotion as the be all and end all. It isn’t for us (for a whole host of issues - predominately financial).

Crystal Palace can’t win the Premier League - does that mean the season is a write-off? No, just that they have different priorities.

For me, our priority is get a settled squad, stay out of relegation trouble and be in a good position for next season. If we can be in the promotion mix this time out, even better. But I won’t flap if we start slowly, whereas you’ll rant and rave like you usually do.

I’ll take an optimistic view, whereas you’ll do your usual of keeping silent when we do well, but as soon as we do badly, you’ll leap into action. Face it, you’re not that much of a fan, given how much you enjoy us doing badly.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:36 am

StevieMardenboro wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:19 am
I am actually a little bit upbeat about this season.

Last season I felt less optimistic than the general mood on here but this season weirdly it seems it's the other way around.

I think most if not all of the new signings look good or promising or give us something we didn't have. And I would expect us to make more signings too. I don't think Armstrong has ballsed it up this summer at all. We needed a major rebuild and there are clubs around us who can offer a higher league or a full time gig or have a bigger budget. It's never going to be easy for us.

My only hope for the season is that its one free from Covid disruption - which I think is doubtful - and that we are better at home with fans in than we were last season. One thing we have in our favour in this division is a proper support. Got to make that count.
Its a strange one, I am really on the fence about what we can expect this season. I'm happy with the additions of Taylor, Griffiths, Smith and Purver I think all of them make us stronger across their respective positions than we were last season. The additions of Martin and Hope make sense and if we can develop them as players over the next couple of years they could be great assets to the club. Beeden, Dos Santos, Mondal and Cassidy are jack in the box signings, genuinely don't know either way how they will turn out, but the opening signs from especially Dos Santos have been positive. So on the basis of players we've signed to replace players lost its largely positive.

Of the players we've lost Campbell & Sousa were the only ones I would say I really wanted to keep, but both left for full time football and there's not a lot we can do about that. No secret that we went after the likes of Wheater, O'Neill and Beck, all of who would have improved us. Arguably if we can sign Nelson and get him back fit then we've replaced the loss of Campbell, so that just leaves the big commanding CB. Hunt was signed to fill that role, but it didn't quite work out last season, in part due to also having McMahon at RB in my opinion which left us too susceptible to pace and counter attacks. Wheater would be brilliant at this level, but not sure who the alternatives we went after were, which is my only area of big disappointment in terms of the signings.

Away from signings my only other point is that we still appear to be lacking when it comes to set pieces both attacking and defending. They can be the difference in tight games and I'm disappointed we look so disorganised especially from a defensive perspective when we're trying to keep out a corner or free-kick.

At the moment I think we have a mid-table side. Add the right personnel and we could be trying to knock on the door for the final play-off place, the overall standard of the league does seem to have gone up again, but that also means that lots of teams will be capable of taking points off each other, it wouldn't surprise me if the points required to get into the playoffs is lower than what we've seen in previous years.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:08 am

IMO, just to start playing meaningful games in a league will be enough, never mind promotion but a cup run again would be a welcome addition.

DarloJason

Post by DarloJason » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:47 am

I’m struggling to get my head around the recruitment process this year, in particular how many players have been recommendations or a friend of a friend. Hopefully all works out for AA, he certainly must be working hard and doesn’t just fritter away the BTB pot.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:55 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:01 am
Quakerlad wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I’m not writing anything off. It’s only “writing the season off” if you view promotion as the be all and end all. It isn’t for us (for a whole host of issues - predominately financial).

Crystal Palace can’t win the Premier League - does that mean the season is a write-off? No, just that they have different priorities.

For me, our priority is get a settled squad, stay out of relegation trouble and be in a good position for next season. If we can be in the promotion mix this time out, even better. But I won’t flap if we start slowly, whereas you’ll rant and rave like you usually do.

I’ll take an optimistic view, whereas you’ll do your usual of keeping silent when we do well, but as soon as we do badly, you’ll leap into action. Face it, you’re not that much of a fan, given how much you enjoy us doing badly.
You see it’s a shame that you seem to enjoy trying to intimidate your fellow supporters on a club messageboard so am a bit sad for you really.
You have tried the “your not much of a fan” thing previously but think after 54 yrs home and away and contributing to various fundraising over the years that I honestly think I just qualify😁!
You always seem to miss the positive comments I make and the strange thing this time is that we are pretty close to agreeing on the close season, even said a couple of days ago that “ I agree Gramps”.
Just accept that other fans have different views and some of the negativity comes from a passion for the club to get it right and succeed.
Will never agree with you in pre season that our priority should be “ get a settled squad, avoid relegation and look towards the season after next”. If that’s ok for you then that’s absolutely fine, but please don’t think that the majority of us would also accept it. Yes, we get frustrated at lack of signings for example, but all borne from our passion for the team to be successful.
Anyway, know there as many that agree with me that it has been a disappointing close season for signings as agree with you I am sure that it has been ok.
Won’t be responding to your next post no doubt accusing me of all sorts so will leave at that.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:12 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:17 pm

I'm not usually one for going back, but I do love browny and he would provide all the things we don't currently have.
Gary Brown was out of his depth however many years ago at NLN level never mind now

Darlogramps

Darlington V Sunderland

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:27 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:55 pm

You see it’s a shame that you seem to enjoy trying to intimidate your fellow supporters on a club messageboard so am a bit sad for you really.
You have tried the “your not much of a fan” thing previously but think after 54 yrs home and away and contributing to various fundraising over the years that I honestly think I just qualifyImage!
LOL - you're a sensitive soul. "Intimidate" - no, I just happen to think you're unrealistic with your expectations, and that you enjoy complaining about things more than you enjoy actually supporting the club. Get a grip soft lad.
Quakerlad wrote:
Just accept that other fans have different views and some of the negativity comes from a passion for the club to get it right and succeed.
In what way is you consistently being negative about the club helping them succeed?

And why do I have to accept your opinion? I'll acknowledge that anyone can think differently. But by the same token, I'm allowed to disagree, challenge and question another view. You seem to be deluding yourself that your view is beyond being questioned, as if merely having an opinion grants it the same status as someone else's. Some opinions are worse than others, and don't complain if you say something that doesn't subsequently stand up to any scrutiny.

In this instance, you've not really explained why we should be getting promotion, yet are saying you expect a challenge regardless. On what basis should this Darlington squad be challenging for promotion?

The cynic in me thinks you're deliberately setting the bar too high, so you can do what you enjoy most, which is rant and rave when things go badly.
Quakerlad wrote:
Will never agree with you in pre season that our priority should be “ get a settled squad, avoid relegation and look towards the season after next”. If that’s ok for you then that’s absolutely fine, but please don’t think that the majority of us would also accept it. Yes, we get frustrated at lack of signings for example, but all borne from our passion for the team to be successful.
If you're looking at expectations for the season, you have to be realistic. We have a brand new squad, which has had a disrupted pre-season. Other teams are further ahead in their pre-season, and there's already a bottleneck when it comes to promotion as no one went up last season. You have the likes of Gloucester, AFC Fylde and York who were strong last season, while others sides like Boston and Chorley have also strengthened.

Against that backdrop, saying you expect promotion is unrealistic, so you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I want promotion as much as you, but based on the facts at hand, I don't think it's likely to happen - and actually I'm relaxed with that. More time to strengthen our financial position before getting promoted isn't a bad thing in my book.
Quakerlad wrote:
Anyway, know there as many that agree with me that it has been a disappointing close season for signings as agree with you I am sure that it has been ok.
I haven't said it's been "OK". In fact I've said quite the opposite. Learn to interpret arguments properly.

However, I'm being pragmatic about my expectations based on pre-season. You on the other hand seem to be demanding the world on a stick, and will whinge when it doesn't happen. And if it did happen, you wouldn't say anything by way of praise. If you were a bit more balanced, it wouldn’t require me to call your support into question.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:32 pm

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm very happy with Taylor, Smith, Purver. Hope looks decent going forward, and will probs get some game time. Griffiths is a good player however I don't think he's been fit in pre-season yet. Was stretching his hamstring in the last game.

Need to see more of Mondal, KDS and Beeden. KDS had lots of work-rate in the last game, so hopefully him and Mondal can get some partnership going.

Player of pre-season so far is Hedley who has been excellent in defence and also in an attacking sense. Some things to be positive about and things to be wary of.

I would have started Charman with Cassidy to see if there's any relationship there if we are starting as 4-4-2.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:37 am

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:12 pm
tdk1 wrote:

Gary Brown was out of his depth however many years ago at NLN level never mind now
He was part of the defence that reached the play offs in our first season at nln level, and I don't think you could argue that any centre back we've had since he left has been an improvement. Nor have any of them actually replaced what he gave us - bravery, a desire to win the ball at all costs, and leadership across the back.

Didn't he win player of the year for shields last year?

I mean, maybe he's not the player to get us promotion, but in a team that needs defensive solidity and a couple of hate-to-face-them types, is he really that bad?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:59 am

tdk1 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:37 am
lo36789 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:12 pm
tdk1 wrote:

He was part of the defence that reached the play offs in our first season at nln level, and I don't think you could argue that any centre back we've had since he left has been an improvement. Nor have any of them actually replaced what he gave us - bravery, a desire to win the ball at all costs, and leadership across the back.

Didn't he win player of the year for shields last year?

I mean, maybe he's not the player to get us promotion, but in a team that needs defensive solidity and a couple of hate-to-face-them types, is he really that bad?
Think that was 2020 season he won player of the year, he moved to West Auckland last season and is now 34 so don't think he's quite what we need. Arguably Burgess was the power at CB in the NPL winning and first NLN season but you're not calling for us to bring him in from Marske. Full respect to them both for what they achieved and how they played in their time with the club but I think is more the fondness of memory than actual practical transfer strategy.

We've had good defenders at this level before since those days players like Heaton, Smith (albeit on loan from Barnsley). Maybe it's a case of looking for a decent loan for a month or two from a higher level while we look to see if any senior pros don't get tied up with clubs or become available for transfer from Clubs higher up.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:17 am

You're probably right, he's maybe not the answer, but if I could build a 25 year old defender in anyone's shape to fit into our team it would probably be his.

Heaton I think had a purple patch first time round but his subsequent career has been very sub par. Smith is clearly a better player, I'd forgotten about him tbh, but yeah, we had a few really good loans about then.

I'm just jot sure we'll end up with a really top class defender, and maybe we should be looking for personality and nous over the absolute optimum quality, as it's probably more what we need now, in proportion to what is achievable