Whitby Town v Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dl10quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Whitby Town v Darlington

Post by dl10quaker » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:25 pm

Any rumours who the CB stuck on the A19 was?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:35 pm

Would assume it was Storey?
AA appeared to indicate he was not having any luck getting anyone in I believe.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:01 pm

I'm prepared to be patient this season and I think we have to be realistic.

We currently have a small squad and a young squad at that, Lexus Beeden and Joey Hope are both only 19 then you've got the likes of Ben Hedley, Alex Storey and Kevin Dos Santos who are all in their early 20's and although we have a few experienced heads like Kallum Griffiths and Will Hatfield there is still a serious lack of depth in the squad.

It brings back memories of the 2004/05 season when we were so light on numbers at the beginning of the season we had big Matt Clarke up front along with Craig Russell until Alun arrived along with Clyde Wijnhard and Craig Hignett. We had an indifferent pre-season that year as I recall getting beat 4-2 by Leeds and then getting annihilated 5-0 by Peterborough the week before the season kicked off, we got off to a stuttering start only just scraping a 1-0 against Grimsby on the opening day, drawing with Yeovil and then losing to Kidderminster and Bristol Rovers consecutively but despite not coming flying out of the traps we went on to have a decent season finishing 8th and only missing out on the play offs on goal difference.

It is a work in progress and although the problems we've had this summer are well documented we cannot continue to look for excuses, my only concern throughout pre-season - barring that second half capitulation against Harrogate - is we look very light up front. We looked good in possession moving the ball around nicely and getting ourselves into some good positions but we barely employed the goalkeepers against either Newcastle, Boro or Sunderland's kids.

I was hoping we could get a win yesterday, if anything to give us a boost ahead of next week, it's now even more important that we get off to a positive start next week as the unrest from the manager is starting to spread to the fans a little bit and it won't do the young lads in the squad any good if there is a toxic atmosphere around the place.

Hopefully in the coming months Alun can channel his inner David Hodgson and do a bit of wheeling and dealing to get some bodies in, anyone know what Andy Carroll and David Wheater are up to these days? :problem:
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:19 pm

David Wheater, Nathan Clarke are 2 centre halves off the top of my head I can think of. Obviously wheater is a name been mentioned all summer and sure I saw someone say that the deal was getting “closer” a couple weeks ago so wonder if that fell through. Obviously Andy Nelson would be a great signing if we plan it correctly with his recovery and regarding agent fees I’m sure AA mentioned that he’s still got “plenty of the budget left” so maybe he uses some of it there also would like to see us Sign Cole Kiernan he’s looked pretty good in the games I’ve seen maybe have him on a deal like we had Theo Hudson last year, AA has got to pull something mad off here this week to ease lots of fans rightful concerns but I’m sure he’ll do the job

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:34 pm

dl10quaker wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:25 pm

Brandon Taylor from Sunderland, the echo says

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:47 am

tdk1 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:34 pm
dl10quaker wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:25 pm

Brandon Taylor from Sunderland, the echo says
Taylor is a 22yo defender released by Sunderland at the end of last season. Not much else to say as I can’t find any record of him being out on loan anywhere. Pity he was unable to play at Whitby as it would have given AA the chance to run the rule over him in a match rather than in training. He could be one of the players we have been waiting for who has been on trial elsewhere. Not exactly the experienced centre half we seem in need of though.