The attendance next Saturday.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:53 am

I wonder what peoples thoughts are on this?

It's a tough call as there hasn't been a game for over a year, some will be desperate to go, some will have lost interest and drifted away, whilst others may be wary of turning up due to understandable health concerns.

Bearing all this in mind I will stick my neck out and predict 1300 - 1400.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Fat josh

Re: The attendance next Saturday.

Post by Fat josh » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:41 am

1400/1500
Compared to 600 we would have got at the rusting Arena if the dictator in charge had his way before the fans backlash caused a massive u turn.
King of uncovered

Leader of the true fans against the Arena return resistance movement

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:50 am

Maybe would have been 1,400-1,500 but due to a good percentage of the population being covid bedwetters, and the ground being s***, I reckon about 1,100.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:10 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:50 am
covid bedwetters
Have a heart Ghost. There's quite a number of elderly fans at home matches - unless you think they have nothing to worry about......
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:36 pm

I am an old git but feel safe to attend having been double jabbed. If you have had your jabs and stay outdoors you should be ok. If not safe now how long do you wait? Time to get your life back and get to Blackwell Meadows.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:53 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:10 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:50 am
covid bedwetters
Have a heart Ghost. There's quite a number of elderly fans at home matches - unless you think they have nothing to worry about......
It's not about having a heart.

Any one double vaccinated (of any age) is as protected as they're ever going to be, and risk can't be wiped from life. Older people especially have less time, who wants to spend those precious last years locked away?

The overall risk is now massively magnified and exaggerated compared to reality, thanks to a 17 month long media and government psychological bombardment. Many people are mentally damaged beyond repair, I reckon.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:58 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:36 pm
I am an old git but feel safe to attend having been double jabbed. If you have had your jabs and stay outdoors you should be ok. If not safe now how long do you wait? Time to get your life back and get to Blackwell Meadows.
Exactly. The risk is far less than what it was.

As for severely immuno-compromised people, or severely ill people, I guess they wouldn't be going to the football ordinarily anyway - so the attendance shouldn't be affected. But sadly, I think quite a few people who would have usually gone won't go, due to the heightened anxiety.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:48 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:36 pm
My feelings exactly. I stayed indoors for 16 months because I knew I had zero chance of recovery if I caught it, but having been vaccinated I think I have to get back to as normal as I can. After all, there has to be SOME quality of life as long as longevity or there simply is no point. I will however remain vigilant as anyone should for both my own and others sake.
Anyone not taking that last line is either stupid, selfish, or a combination of the two!!
And NO I am far from being indoctrinated into fearing some non-existant myth as some think !!!

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:26 pm

out of interest - are the club still accepting cash? i see a lot of clubs have gone cashless for things like food, drink and programmes?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:20 am

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:26 pm
out of interest - are the club still accepting cash? i see a lot of clubs have gone cashless for things like food, drink and programmes?
Yes when I went to a friendly, I paid cash on the gate & in the bar as well.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:40 am

A lot of people away on holiday and with a not so interesting pre season and lack of signings I’ll go for 1050.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:38 am

quakersfan wrote:A lot of people away on holiday and with a not so interesting pre season and lack of signings I’ll go for 1050.
Would expect about 1300 bearing in mind season tickets sold are roughly 850.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:30 am

Sadly we will have a lost some fans in the last 18 months through Covid and other reasons. A minutes silence before the game would be an appropriate start to the season. Hopefully some younger fans will be coming through and help to push up the attendance to around 1400.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:56 am

Old Git wrote:Sadly we will have a lost some fans in the last 18 months through Covid and other reasons. A minutes silence before the game would be an appropriate start to the season.
Nope, not for me. I think having minute silences/applauses for fans is silly and OTT at any time. Next Saturday is about the return of fans, it should be about celebrating that.

We’re getting to a point where we’re having some sort of tribute before every match. And actually it loses it’s significance if you do it for every Tom, Dick and Harry who once had a season ticket. The whole point is that it’s a significant moment of reflection, not some pointless gesture we’re doing for the sake of it.

The only time we should be having minute applauses/silences is for major national events (Remembrance Day/death of a senior royal etc) or the death of a significant figure who all club staff and fans can relate to. Ordinary fans don’t fall into that category.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:20 am

Old Git wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:30 am
Sadly we will have a lost some fans in the last 18 months through Covid and other reasons. A minutes silence before the game would be an appropriate start to the season. Hopefully some younger fans will be coming through and help to push up the attendance to around 1400.
I for one wouldn’t object to a minutes silence next Saturday, we are a fan owned community club and the events since we’ve last played will have affected just about everyone.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:13 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Old Git wrote:Sadly we will have a lost some fans in the last 18 months through Covid and other reasons. A minutes silence before the game would be an appropriate start to the season.
Nope, not for me. I think having minute silences/applauses for fans is silly and OTT at any time. Next Saturday is about the return of fans, it should be about celebrating that.

We’re getting to a point where we’re having some sort of tribute before every match. And actually it loses it’s significance if you do it for every Tom, Dick and Harry who once had a season ticket. The whole point is that it’s a significant moment of reflection, not some pointless gesture we’re doing for the sake of it.

The only time we should be having minute applauses/silences is for major national events (Remembrance Day/death of a senior royal etc) or the death of a significant figure who all club staff and fans can relate to. Ordinary fans don’t fall into that category.
You could argue that the death of an “ordinary fan” is of far more significance to the club than a senior royal or other dignitary but the class system is alive and well in our country today so perhaps not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:17 pm

You could counter argue that as we have thousands of fans that we''d be having a minutes silence every 5 minutes.

I'm in agreement with gramps on this one.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:11 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

You could argue that the death of an “ordinary fan” is of far more significance to the club than a senior royal or other dignitary but the class system is alive and well in our country today so perhaps not.

It’s not anything to do with the class system. To me the whole point of a minute silence/applause is to reflect on an important moment.

You can’t really do that if it’s a supporter who 95% of those in the ground hadn’t met. At that point it’s just a tacky gesture that we’re doing for the sake of it.

When the Duke of Edinburgh died, at least I knew who he was. Would also add a senior royal dying has an impact on the entire nation, whereas Dave from Haughton barely has an effect on Darlington.

There are other things that can be done to commemorate supporters without needing a mawkish minute of silence/applause at every match.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:04 pm

The death of Philip had no impact on my life, other than having to avoid the News for about a week due to the mawkish, overplayed, forelock-tugging coverage. If we’re going to have a minutes silence for people with no connection to Darlington FC, or football in general, then I despair. It’s not necessary. Just let me watch the football.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:26 pm

Lawman3 wrote:The death of Philip had no impact on my life, other than having to avoid the News for about a week due to the mawkish, overplayed, forelock-tugging coverage. If we’re going to have a minutes silence for people with no connection to Darlington FC, or football in general, then I despair. It’s not necessary. Just let me watch the football.
We’ve been having minute silences for Remembrance Sunday, major royals and victims of terrorist attacks for as long as I can remember.

Those are national events so I understand why they happen. Doing it for individual football fans though goes a bit too far for me.

Each to their own on this one though.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:23 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:11 pm
Quaker85 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

It’s not anything to do with the class system. To me the whole point of a minute silence/applause is to reflect on an important moment.

You can’t really do that if it’s a supporter who 95% of those in the ground hadn’t met. At that point it’s just a tacky gesture that we’re doing for the sake of it.

When the Duke of Edinburgh died, at least I knew who he was. Would also add a senior royal dying has an impact on the entire nation, whereas Dave from Haughton barely has an effect on Darlington.

There are other things that can be done to commemorate supporters without needing a mawkish minute of silence/applause at every match.
If you go to games it is surprising who you "know".
First game back KR did 1-minute applause for all Robins who had passed since our last game with fans in the ground. The club also invited people to send in photo's of lost relatives and did a montage on the big screen of all those sent in, along with names, dob and dod.
It was quite shocking to see that I actually spoke to quite a few in passing over the years, and while I did not "Know" them it was a nice few seconds of reflection.
I don't know if you go to games, but if you do I bet there are a few you will never see again that you were at least on nodding terms with.
Does it really hurt to show respect?

Struth! Ted is Ed

Post by Struth! Ted is Ed » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:48 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:23 pm
[
Respect from Ted Forster :roll:

Did you show respect when you lied about buying the club and screwed around potential other buyers?

Did you show respect when you lied about having cancer for sympathy?

Did you show respect when you faked your own death as you couldn't afford to take the day off from your chip shop dish washer job?

Fuck Hull KR and fuck you you creepy wrong un .
Can you watch farmyard frolics on an S4? :wtf:

Ed Ted Forster John's bullshitting since birth :thumbdown:

Still no zoomcall?????? :lol:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:52 pm

Struth! Ted is Ed wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:48 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:23 pm
[
Respect from Ted Forster :roll:

Did you show respect when you lied about buying the club and screwed around potential other buyers?

Did you show respect when you lied about having cancer for sympathy?

Did you show respect when you faked your own death as you couldn't afford to take the day off from your chip shop dish washer job?

Fuck Hull KR and fuck you you creepy wrong un .
I wouldn’t know Ted if I fell over him but really your personal attack is way over the top and has no place on here. Please go away and take your poison with you.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:18 pm

Can’t believe people are arguing whether we respect the dead or not. IMO it would be a good gesture to hold a minutes silence for all those who have lost their lives through Covid whether they are Darlo fans or not after all our USP is we are a community club that operate and help in the wider Darlo community.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:29 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:11 pm
Quaker85 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

If you go to games it is surprising who you "know".
First game back KR did 1-minute applause for all Robins who had passed since our last game with fans in the ground. The club also invited people to send in photo's of lost relatives and did a montage on the big screen of all those sent in, along with names, dob and dod.
It was quite shocking to see that I actually spoke to quite a few in passing over the years, and while I did not "Know" them it was a nice few seconds of reflection.
I don't know if you go to games, but if you do I bet there are a few you will never see again that you were at least on nodding terms with.
It is quite funny to see you talking about showing respect for the dead, given you once faked your own death as a prank on Darlo_Pete.

But in all seriousness, on the wider point, there are better ways of showing “respect” (itself a very subjective term), other than a minute silence. It’s not the only way of doing so (e.g. programme and website acknowledgements, the club speaking to the families, memorial walls etc). These are longer lasting and mean more to those involved.

If someone is just a face in a stadium who you see once in a while, well a minute silence means nothing. You can’t reflect on someone if you didn’t even know them.

I just think the whole minute silence idea is overused, to the point it makes the gesture hollow and empty. It’s doing something for the sake of doing something, and the idea suggested by Old Git would be another example of that in my opinion.
quakersfan wrote:Can’t believe people are arguing whether we respect the dead or not.
This is the problem manifest, right here.

“Not have a minute silence? OMG you’re disrespecting the dead!”

My uncle’s dog once went to an away pre-season friendly and slept on a Darlo blanket. Can that get a minute’s applause? Does it count? We are a community club after all.

The whole notion is getting silly. Show respect and acknowledgement to people while they’re living, rather than forced empty gestures when they’re not around to see them.

Appreciate other people will think differently, but can we at least squash the idea that not having a minute silence is in some way disrespecting the dead. It’s not.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:21 pm

Sunderland have the right idea, one minute silence once a season for those fans who have passed on.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:12 am

Altrincham, Chesterfield and Stockport do this as well.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:01 am

On the subject of the expected attendance on Saturday it seems to me that they have held up well in the EFL on the first day of the season. Over 31,000 at Sunderland and over 5,000 at Poolie seem very healthy figures although the latter obviously boosted by their recent promotion. In League 2 both Carlisle and Mansfield had in excess of 6,000 but neither Salford or Harrogate could quite break through the 2,000 barrier. If we follow a similar pattern I don’t see why 1400 or even a little more could not be reached.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:26 am

Old Git wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:01 am
but neither Salford or Harrogate could quite break through the 2,000 barrier.
Fake plastic clubs, thats why.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:43 am

650 of the 1,800 fans at Harrogate were from Rochdale. They sold their ticket allocation within 45 minutes.