Reminder Fans Forum tonight

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reminder Fans Forum tonight

Post by AndyPark » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:46 am

I really do fail to see why there’s so much negativity regarding last nights fans forum/webinar..

People kicking off on the TinShed page claiming parts of the club just meet to pat each other on the back etc.
I personally felt a lot more positive after watching the comments from both DJ, Chris and Alun.
Every question that was asked, was responded to and reasons given as to why we are doing something one way or another.

Financially we seem to be doing bang on, thanks to Chris Stockdale for breaking it down.
DJ explained the reasons for not returning to the arena and then a breakdown of how we would manage to afford a new piece of land for a new stadium we can call ours.
Talks about the FanZone coming in the next 4-6 weeks potentially.
How we make money from the food/drinks side of things now from the caterer and rugby club.
Both AA and DJ saying this isn’t our final squad and we are still looking to tie down deals for the best players for the club (and not just signing players for the sake of it), that we are close to signing Nelson.
Explained in the comments that Wheater is looking to retire and that’s why he doesn’t look like accepting the offer we’ve given him.

I’ve probably missed bits, but more positive than negative in my opinion.

See you Saturday. #UpTheDarlo

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:03 am

AndyPark wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:46 am
I really do fail to see why there’s so much negativity regarding last nights fans forum/webinar..

People kicking off on the TinShed page claiming parts of the club just meet to pat each other on the back etc.
I personally felt a lot more positive after watching the comments from both DJ, Chris and Alun.
Every question that was asked, was responded to and reasons given as to why we are doing something one way or another.

Financially we seem to be doing bang on, thanks to Chris Stockdale for breaking it down.
DJ explained the reasons for not returning to the arena and then a breakdown of how we would manage to afford a new piece of land for a new stadium we can call ours.
How we make money from the food/drinks side of things now from the caterer and rugby club.
Both AA and DJ saying this isn’t our final squad and we are still looking to tie down deals for the best players for the club (and not just signing players for the sake of it), that we are close to signing Nelson.
Explained in the comments that Wheater is looking to retire and that’s why he doesn’t look like accepting the offer we’ve given him.

Fair summary to me. For me it boils down to the club has got through a very tough time in far better position than most clubs through the boards hard work. Other clubs would envy the financial position.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:12 am

Fat josh wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:47 am
Old Git wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:47 pm
quaker4life wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:33 pm
Old Git wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:15 pm
DJ ruled out the Arena completely much to the relief of many of us.
Now we await the triumphant return of Fat Josh!
On the subject of the Arena he is correct. It is a rusting shell not fit for purpose and will likely be knocked down in the future. In all other respects he is a complete tool.
My massive complete tool is of no-ones concern but me and Mrs Fat josh thank you.

Well well well Ghost of 1883 Darlo Pete and all the other Arena worshippers can you hear me ?

Your rusting Arena will take one hell of a beating

When it's demolished soon
RIP my beloved Arena. It looks like we're stuck at Shitwell Meadows where we're never really going to be welcome, and which by the looks of it, we aren't going to be able to develop.

Our only hope is a new ground, we're gonna be stuck in limbo for years.

If only there was a ground nearby which already had all the facilities required for the next level and the one above if we ever get there...

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:18 am

al_quaker wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:23 am
It sounds like DJ has explored all the options, and we're left with stay at BM as we are, or try and get our own stadium built to enable revenues to grow. If DJ think there's a real opportunity to get the latter done, then I'm happy to trust him on that. There's nothing inherently wrong with staying as we are - which appears to be a midtable part time NLN side who will flirt with both ends of the table occasionally, but it would be nice if we could progress further.

On the pitch I came away slightly more confident - with both AA and DJ insistent this isn't the final squad. There's only 4 games in August this year (half of what we had in 19/20!) so if we do end up going into September with those few extra signings we need then there's still a chance of a decent season.
The problem with staying as we are is that, should we get promoted one season - like for example what if we unexpectedly get promotion this season - then what do we do next season if we can't develop BM to NL standard?

Did DJ say we wouldn't be able to develop it at all? Or was he talking about to league standard?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:43 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:18 am
al_quaker wrote:
It sounds like DJ has explored all the options, and we're left with stay at BM as we are, or try and get our own stadium built to enable revenues to grow. If DJ think there's a real opportunity to get the latter done, then I'm happy to trust him on that. There's nothing inherently wrong with staying as we are - which appears to be a midtable part time NLN side who will flirt with both ends of the table occasionally, but it would be nice if we could progress further.

On the pitch I came away slightly more confident - with both AA and DJ insistent this isn't the final squad. There's only 4 games in August this year (half of what we had in 19/20!) so if we do end up going into September with those few extra signings we need then there's still a chance of a decent season.
The problem with staying as we are is that, should we get promoted one season - like for example what if we unexpectedly get promotion this season - then what do we do next season if we can't develop BM to NL standard?

Did DJ say we wouldn't be able to develop it at all? Or was he talking about to league standard?
We can develop it to cat A (NL) standard with a new terrace and more entrances. Whether that's the best use of money (I guess 6 figures) if we aren't long term tenants of BM is a different question. Football league standard would be harder if ever required as it would require more seats than we have (and perhaps can fit in, what with the pipe and a new terrace presumably behind the goal to meet cat A standard).

DJ said the rugby club weren't interested in us buying a stake in BM I think.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:07 am

As regards to a new stadium I think it is out of the question to think it will be within walking distance of the town centre just because of the size of the plot required. DJ mentioned that he would like to see other facilities there that could be used to generate revenue such as 4G training pitch,gymnasium and function rooms. Add in the car parking space required and we must be looking at a site of some size to accommodate all of this. I think this would likely mean a site on the outskirts of the town such as Lingfield Faverdale or Neasham Road. We will have to wait and see.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:31 am

What’s the deal with a fan zone btw? Nothing up on the website yet.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:34 am

H1987 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:31 am
What’s the deal with a fan zone btw? Nothing up on the website yet.
Sounded like they were wanting an outside bar as part of it

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:54 am

al_quaker wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:43 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:18 am
al_quaker wrote:

We can develop it to cat A (NL) standard with a new terrace and more entrances. Whether that's the best use of money (I guess 6 figures) if we aren't long term tenants of BM is a different question. Football league standard would be harder if ever required as it would require more seats than we have (and perhaps can fit in, what with the pipe and a new terrace presumably behind the goal to meet cat A standard).

DJ said the rugby club weren't interested in us buying a stake in BM I think.
Could probably be moveable terracing to a new location. The two stands at Blackwell supposedly are already, aren’t they?

I’d imagine the cost of installing such a terrace would be offset by promotion anyway, as it would definitely bolster attendances being in the league above.

The big issue is eventual football league eligibility.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:26 am

H1987 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:54 am

I’d imagine the cost of installing such a terrace would be offset by promotion anyway, as it would definitely bolster attendances being in the league above.
Obviously there would be a boost from a promotion campaign from this division, but going into a division with a lot of southern teams and probably one in which we'd struggle? I'd be surprised if attendances were higher in that scenario just because we were in a league above.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:43 am

AndyPark wrote:I really do fail to see why there’s so much negativity regarding last nights fans forum/webinar..

I came away thinking that as well.

Wouldn’t worry too much about the Tin Shed whingers. The club could win every game, cure cancer and bake every Darlington resident a cake, and the likes of Alan Robson and Rodney Dale on that page would still find a reason to moan, complain or s***-stir. They have an agenda to do the club down so are best left ignored.

It’s good that we have some clarity on DJ and the board’s longer term vision for the club (basically we need a new stadium, or some sort of change at Mowden Park and the Arena. Lots of questions about how exactly that happens, and I think most right-minded, genuine fans are will be cautious around it, given everything that’s happened in the last 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:27 pm

Happy with the meeting last night, all questions were answered to the best of the knowledge of those answering, futures looking good with upwards movement at the heart of all involved in this fan ownership club, as they say things can only get better, it's going to be difficult 3 weeks at the start of this season due to several factors, keep the faith and back the club. :thumbup:

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:11 pm

:)
al_quaker wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:26 am
H1987 wrote:

Obviously there would be a boost from a promotion campaign from this division, but going into a division with a lot of southern teams and probably one in which we'd struggle? I'd be surprised if attendances were higher in that scenario just because we were in a league above.
It’s one of those things though, it’s more appealing playing at a national level, against recognisable, (former) football league sides, which that level is packed with. I do believe we would see a boost (and remember, we would be coming off a promotion winning season too).

That said, I’d expect us to take an almighty beating and we’d be requiring a minor miracle to stay up there.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:13 pm

It will be interesting what the EFL do about artificial surfaces given the initial outputs of the fan review.

If their position changes that would potentially be a good trigger point to really work on an alternative ground proposition. I could see commercial sense in a purpose built ground around a 4G surface.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:19 pm

H1987 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:11 pm
:)
al_quaker wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:26 am
H1987 wrote:

It’s one of those things though, it’s more appealing playing at a national level, against recognisable, (former) football league sides, which that level is packed with. I do believe we would see a boost (and remember, we would be coming off a promotion winning season too).

That said, I’d expect us to take an almighty beating and we’d be requiring a minor miracle to stay up there.
Potentially - lets hope we get to find out one day :lol:

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:57 pm

has anything else been said/reviewed about the expensive food prices from the new caterers?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:37 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:57 pm
has anything else been said/reviewed about the expensive food prices from the new caterers?
Yes they'll review them and benchmark them. And also that unlike the previous arrangement, DFC makes something from the food provision now.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:32 pm

al_quaker wrote:
bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:57 pm
Yes they'll review them and benchmark them. And also that unlike the previous arrangement, DFC makes something from the food provision now.
Probably why it’s so expensive then. Rugby club get their usual cut and the price increase pays for our cut. In hindsight we’d have been better off negotiating a higher licence to occupy fee and keeping all the match day income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:53 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:48 pm
He has been saying that for 3 years just can’t see it happening, good that Ray is asking the right questions but everyone just looks fed up and I wish Stockdale would stop grinning.
If Chris continues to be in his role over-seeing the finances, then the club will continue to be in a very solid financial position. Any individual that has reduced our debt, improved cash-flow and has over-saw two operating profits in a row can grin as much as he/she would like. :thumbup:

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:47 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:53 pm
quakersfan wrote:
He has been saying that for 3 years just can’t see it happening, good that Ray is asking the right questions but everyone just looks fed up and I wish Stockdale would stop grinning.
If Chris continues to be in his role over-seeing the finances, then the club will continue to be in a very solid financial position. Any individual that has reduced our debt, improved cash-flow and has over-saw two operating profits in a row can grin as much as he/she would like. :thumbup:
I wasn’t saying he hasn’t done a good job but furlough, government loans and the cup run have also helped us massively to put us in a good financial position.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:34 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:47 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
quakersfan wrote:
I wasn’t saying he hasn’t done a good job but furlough, government loans and the cup run have also helped us massively to put us in a good financial position.
Of course it has helped, but those reasons above aren’t the sole factor for our improving financial position.

To post on here to complain about someone grinning is just ridiculous & rude, especially when they’ve just sat and gave quite a comprehensive & positive update on our finances. Not quite sure what your point was/is with that, other than just having a personal swipe.

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:12 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:34 pm
quakersfan wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:47 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
quakersfan wrote:
Of course it has helped, but those reasons above aren’t the sole factor for our improving financial position.

To post on here to complain about someone grinning is just ridiculous & rude, especially when they’ve just sat and gave quite a comprehensive & positive update on our finances. Not quite sure what your point was/is with that, other than just having a personal swipe.
I work as an IFA and some of our clients have done very well out of the pandemic with the various government loans, furlough etc whilst some are really struggling and once furlough finishes I think there will be lots of redundancies. Working from home whether on furlough or full pay has helped lots of people to make some serious savings.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:47 am

Some quite ridiculous posts on here regarding the financial position of the club. As far as I can see Chris Stockdale has done an excellent job over the last year or two managing the club financially through an extremely difficult period. Of course we have taken advantage of the various Government assistance schemes on offer and this will have been a great help but lets give him some credit. I don’t know the guy personally but I know he has a background in financial services and I am grateful he has given his experience and time on a voluntary basis to support DJ and oversee the day to day running of the club. I would imagine he could be doing something similar elsewhere and getting well paid for his services.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:07 am

Yes, well put O.G.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:59 am

Just listened to AAs comments about players he let go and particularly interesting here. Dan Maguire was never fit so he let him go. Adam Campbell, he said that he would maybe like to have kept him, but when he looked around at what was available form the same wages then it wasn't right. Also, the other players who left struggled with the expectations at Darlington.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:31 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:59 am
Just listened to AAs comments about players he let go and particularly interesting here. Dan Maguire was never fit so he let him go. Adam Campbell, he said that he would maybe like to have kept him, but when he looked around at what was available form the same wages then it wasn't right. Also, the other players who left struggled with the expectations at Darlington.
Where did you find the link to it?

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:54 am

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:31 am
Vodka_Vic wrote:
You’ll have to go on the Your Club site to watch it.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:59 am

Emdubya wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:54 am
[quote=ReeceStyche’sManbun post_id=478019 time=<a href="tel:1628674307">1628674307</a> user_id=20363]
[quote=Vodka_Vic post_id=478018 time=<a href="tel:1628672347">1628672347</a> user_id=136]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Emdubya wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:54 am
ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:31 am
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Found it! Thank you 😀

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:26 pm

Great honesty from all the panel and would like to thank them for the hard work. compared to other local NE clubs our fans have far more insight and influence than any other club. Well done

bga

Post by bga » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:11 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Re Maguire AA did say that but also was nothing he could do about his fitness. So we are left with either was more about the player not keeping fit as opposed to having an injury? We will never know. Glad AA had the balls to make the right decision.
I also thought AA said the same about both players wages but I might have mis-heard.