Darlo v Telford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Post Reply
darlobaz791
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo v Telford

Post by darlobaz791 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:48 pm

With the season curtain raiser a few days away what’s your team (if no incomings)… (what you would do not what you think AA will…)

Taylor
Hedley
Beeden
Storey
Smith
Wheatley
Purver
Hatfield
Dos Santos
Cassidy
Charman

Subs: Martin, Griffiths, Mondal, Nelson, Rivers

Old Git
Posts: 1207
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:51 pm

Looks like a decent lineup but I would expect Rivers may start instead of Dos Santos.

CrazyDarlo
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Thirsk

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by CrazyDarlo » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:36 pm

I reckon AA will go 4-4-2 as he has done in the last two friendlies, KDS has been arguably our best player over pre season along with Hedley so I expect him to play.

Taylor
Hedley
Storey
Beeden
Smith
Wheatley
Hatfield
KDS
Rivers
Charman
Mondal

Darlopartisan
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:11 pm

Anyone walking the dog past the training ground tonight and spotted a 6ft 5 CD been put through his paces? 😀

quakerste
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by quakerste » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:15 pm

There certainly was. Lexus put in a good session tonight, roll on Saturday. :D :)

JE93
Posts: 1593
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by JE93 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:39 pm

----------------------- Taylor ----------------------
Griffiths --- Storey - Beeden --- Smith
Rivers ---- Hatfield - Wheatley -- Dos Santos
--------------- Cassidy - Charman ----------

Subs: Martin, Hedley, Purver, Mondal, Nelson

Doesn't look like we'll have any other CB options for Saturday so hopefully we've been working hard on shape and making sure we protect those 2 CBs as best we can. Some will pick Hedley over Griffiths and probably fair enough as he's had a great pre-season, but for me Griffiths is still a more natural right back, less likely to be caught out of position and I've picked him for that solidity. Upfront is really the only other choice to make, gone for Cassidy over Mondal. We have fullbacks and wingers who are willing to whip the ball into the box so we might as well have someone in the box to hit. Then we need to get Charman and Hatfield around him on second balls make sure we're keeping the pressure on and plenty of shots on goal, then Nelson to give 20 - 25 mins if needed.

Telford seem to have had a similarly indifferent/poor preseason to us results wise, so could be a bit of a confidence game. Cant help but think if we can get ourselves an early goal and get our tails up. Although I'm sure they'll be thinking the same and thinking they can make it a frustrating afternoon for us should they get the early goal.

More than anything just looking forward to being back at BM supporting the team.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 13195
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by divas » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:58 pm

———-—————Taylor————————
—Hedley—-Taylor—-Storey—-Smith

———————Wheatley————————
————-Purver——Hatfield—————

——Rivers——Cassidy——Santos

dfcdfcdfc
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:44 pm

That's giving Taylor a lot to do ☺️

dfcdfcdfc
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:46 pm

Ahaa you were in the know about B Taylor!

quakersfan
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by quakersfan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:06 am

So looking forward to a competitive game of footie tomorrow. Come on Darlo.

50 years
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by 50 years » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:37 am

Really looking forward to the game today, think I would try:-

---------‐------------‐-----------Taylor ---------------------------

Griffiths---------B Taylor -------- Storey ---------Smith

Headley-------Headley-----------wheatley

-----------------------------De Santos------------------------------

------------------Charman ------------Cassidy-'------------'---

My thinking being, Headley has been excellent and can get forward on the wing, KDW can run all day and cover behind forwards and on the wing plus support midfield as he is a good tackler as well. This would also leave us with a good subs bench.

Just my thoughts of course after watching a few of the pre season games.

darlobaz791
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by darlobaz791 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:54 am

50 years wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:37 am
Really looking forward to the game today, think I would try:-

---------‐------------‐-----------Taylor ---------------------------

Griffiths---------B Taylor -------- Storey ---------Smith

Headley-------Headley-----------wheatley

-----------------------------De Santos------------------------------

------------------Charman ------------Cassidy-'------------'---

My thinking being, Headley has been excellent and can get forward on the wing, KDW can run all day and cover behind forwards and on the wing plus support midfield as he is a good tackler as well. This would also leave us with a good subs bench.

Just my thoughts of course after watching a few of the pre season games.
Hedley has been good in pre-season but don’t think we should play him in two positions in one game 😂

en passant
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by en passant » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:02 am

50 years wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:37 am
Really looking forward to the game today, think I would try:-

---------‐------------‐-----------Taylor ---------------------------

Griffiths---------B Taylor -------- Storey ---------Smith

Headley-------Headley-----------wheatley

-----------------------------De Santos------------------------------

------------------Charman ------------Cassidy-'------------'---

My thinking being, Headley has been excellent and can get forward on the wing, KDW can run all day and cover behind forwards and on the wing plus support midfield as he is a good tackler as well. This would also leave us with a good subs bench.

Just my thoughts of course after watching a few of the pre season games.
With so many Headleys and Taylors we should at least win the coin toss.

Old Git
Posts: 1207
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by Old Git » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:23 am

en passant wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:02 am
50 years wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:37 am
Really looking forward to the game today, think I would try:-

---------‐------------‐-----------Taylor ---------------------------

Griffiths---------B Taylor -------- Storey ---------Smith

Headley-------Headley-----------wheatley

-----------------------------De Santos------------------------------

------------------Charman ------------Cassidy-'------------'---

My thinking being, Headley has been excellent and can get forward on the wing, KDW can run all day and cover behind forwards and on the wing plus support midfield as he is a good tackler as well. This would also leave us with a good subs bench.

Just my thoughts of course after watching a few of the pre season games.
With so many Headleys and Taylors we should at least win the coin toss.
The Headleys should help us win a few more balls in the air. The Taylors will come in handy if we make it to Wembley and need some new suits.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 13195
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by divas » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:46 am

dfcdfcdfc wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:46 pm
Ahaa you were in the know about B Taylor!
;)

norwich darlo
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by norwich darlo » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:14 am

Charman missing through covid.

Old Git
Posts: 1207
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by Old Git » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:26 am

norwich darlo wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:14 am
Charman missing through covid.
That is a blow was looking forward to seeing him playing alongside Cassidy. Can’t see Nelson or Beauchamps being fit enough to start so may give Mondal an opportunity to start in that role. Really looking forward to being at Blackwell Meadows tomorrow.

User avatar
Geordie Quaker
Posts: 609
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:32 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: See Username

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by Geordie Quaker » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:47 pm

I desperately hope that Alun gives 4-4-2 a good chance this season.

Last year, we rarely clicked as an attacking force when we largely played one up top. Our centre midfield (whilst arguably our strongest asset) are simply not the type to get right up next to the lone forward and bag 10+ goals. Now we have lost real uality in wide attachng positions, I can see the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 system being evev less potent.

I am far from convicned over Cassidy, but in a 4-4-2 his physicality might be just what we need. Charman and Nelson (I hope at least one wil be fit at a time) can pick up scraps and we can put more emphasis on getting balls in the box as alluded to above. Even AA said in his interview last night that we need to drop the "score the perfect goal" mantra.

I know it sounds rather old school ("four - four - fucking - two"), but I honestly think it is the best system for the squad we have.

AndyPark
Posts: 11679
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by AndyPark » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:19 pm

Taylor,
Hedley, Storey, Beeden, Smith,
Wheatley, Purver, Hatfield
Rivers, Cassidy, Mondal.

Bench of: Martin, B. Taylor, Dos Santos, Nelson, Griffiths

ReeceStyche’sManbun
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:53 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:30 pm

Geordie Quaker wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:47 pm
I desperately hope that Alun gives 4-4-2 a good chance this season.

Last year, we rarely clicked as an attacking force when we largely played one up top. Our centre midfield (whilst arguably our strongest asset) are simply not the type to get right up next to the lone forward and bag 10+ goals. Now we have lost real uality in wide attachng positions, I can see the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 system being evev less potent.

I am far from convicned over Cassidy, but in a 4-4-2 his physicality might be just what we need. Charman and Nelson (I hope at least one wil be fit at a time) can pick up scraps and we can put more emphasis on getting balls in the box as alluded to above. Even AA said in his interview last night that we need to drop the "score the perfect goal" mantra.

I know it sounds rather old school ("four - four - fucking - two"), but I honestly think it is the best system for the squad we have.
My thoughts too more physicality and height in the squad was important to get sorted as last year as most of the squad wouldn’t of been able to get on a rollercoaster rather than battle centre half’s and midfields.

I’d go for

T Taylor
Griffiths
B Taylor
Beeden
Smith
Rivers
Hatfield
Wheatley
Dos Santos
Cassidy
Mondal

Bench of: Martin, Nelson,Storey,Hedley,Purver

Old Git
Posts: 1207
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford

Post by Old Git » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:04 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:19 pm
Taylor,
Hedley, Storey, Beeden, Smith,
Wheatley, Purver, Hatfield
Rivers, Cassidy, Mondal.

Bench of: Martin, B. Taylor, Dos Santos, Nelson, Griffiths
Think you might have nailed it Andy

Post Reply