New signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

New signings

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:38 pm

We’ve signed former Sunderland CB Brandon Taylor and former Darlo youth striker James Beauchamp, recently at Darlington Town.

Quakerlad

Re: New signings

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:31 am

Was not expecting that when DJ said don’t worry fans the squad isn’t finished yet.
Exactly what we need, two more young inexperienced and untested kids at this level! What on Earth are they doing.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:45 am

Happy with these two signings, we still need that experienced CB to lead these young thrusters 👍

Piggy_

Post by Piggy_ » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:51 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:31 am
Was not expecting that when DJ said don’t worry fans the squad isn’t finished yet.
Exactly what we need, two more young inexperienced and untested kids at this level! What on Earth are they doing.
Whilst I agree we’re short on experience, that’s a bit harsh!

Beauchamps 25, non contract terms- wouldn’t expect t him to figure too much in the first team tbh

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:54 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Do you want them to sign players who dont want to come here? We needed a CB before tomorrow, we've signed one. Not exactly what we need, but he's obviously got something about him and he was willing to sign for us too. I'm sure if Wheater or similar changes their mind then we will be very interested still, but people would soon be moaning if we went into the season with only 2 CBs.

Beauchamp is on non-contract, which suggests he's just here to flesh out the squad while waiting for Nelson to get fit. If he turns out to be better than that then great.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:57 am

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/201 ... ses-taylor

Taylor has to have something about him, he is young at 22 but he has experience playing a much higher level.

Beauchamp seems a bit of a wildcard but see what happens!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:30 am

Very happy to wish these two lads the best of luck and welcome them to the club. Taylor could be an excellent addition, not quite as experienced as we would ideally have liked, but lots of potential to develop into a very accomplished defender at our level or above. Not much of a risk signing Beauchamps on a non contract basis and AA must have seen something in him to give him a chance.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:31 am

Glad to welcome these lads to our squad :clap:
Not quite Messi or Kane (yet)
Last edited by jjljks on Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

New signings

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:32 am

Quakerlad wrote:Was not expecting that when DJ said don’t worry fans the squad isn’t finished yet.
You know when I question your support for the club - this is what gives me the ammunition.

Two players signed, and you’re immediately criticising the club and talking down the players based on nothing more than their age.

The club can do without persistent moaners like you, who get off on being negative. And don’t say “It comes from a place of wanting the club to do well”.

You couldn’t care less if the club is successful. You simply enjoy being negative and talking the club and its players down. I feel sad for you that that’s how you get through the day, but trying to drag others down.

Doubtless you’ll say the club isn’t above criticism. And that’s true - but you aren’t reasonable in your criticism. You just leap in with negative rants at every opportunity.

Let’s see them in action before writing them off as signings.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

divas

Post by divas » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:35 am

It’s the eve of the season and we’re short defensively. The experienced CB hasn’t materialised so rather than do nothing Alun has brought in a lad to increase numbers at CB where both Beeden and Storey have been struggling with injuries and form. Nothing to say if/when somebody more experienced becomes available we won’t add them but would have been suicide to go into tomorrow’s game with just Storey and Beeden

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:58 am

divas wrote:It’s the eve of the season and we’re short defensively. The experienced CB hasn’t materialised so rather than do nothing Alun has brought in a lad to increase numbers at CB where both Beeden and Storey have been struggling with injuries and form. Nothing to say if/when somebody more experienced becomes available we won’t add them but would have been suicide to go into tomorrow’s game with just Storey and Beeden
Yes, good post Divas.Must admit I like the look of this signing, a good move for him to gain valuable experience in a very tough league with a local club and we could have a very good prospect on our hands.Absolutely nothing to lose with this signing and a lot to gain

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:09 am

Piece in the echo this morning in which the spenny manager about struggling to recruit this summer so seemingly we're not alone.

I'd imagine there's still some slack in the budget to move when players decide the full time opportunities aren't there, but adding these players to make the squad more robust feels like a sensible move in lieu of that taking effect.

Lool at Telford, their recruitment this summer has looked broadly poor to me, but when the opportunity has arisen they've signed Nathan pond then yesterday Kyle Bennett, which could be a very good signing indeed. Hopefully we'll be able to grasp these opportunities as they come up too.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:22 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Beauchamp is non-contract, and will be on a relatively modest wage given we have signed him from the Wearside League. He is a relatively low-risk gamble and we have some flexibility with the non-contract status.

Most pleasing for me is we've addressed the depth issue at centre-back with the signing of Brandon Taylor, whilst still probably retaining enough budget to go out and bring in that experienced centre half (if we manage to find one!).

DarloJason

Post by DarloJason » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:04 am

Can’t fault AA for pulling out the bag three signings this week. This season is going to be a marathon rather than a sprint. Certainly appears like he has shifted out those without the desire and hunger needed, something which he referred to in the interviews at the end of the season and confirmed during the fans forum. He’s brought in lads with a point to prove and a hopefully will be able to support them with some experience if needed when those players become available. Will be interesting to see if the new striker will get more time than Hudson.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:12 am

Acquiring Nelson, Taylor and Beauchamp in one week, just before the season commences, is good business.

Bring on tomorrow.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:13 am

Pre-match interview with AA suggests that there is still adequate budget to bring in another centre-half and, despite to signing of Brandon Taylor, he stills knows that we need another.

Beauchamp brought in on non-contract terms due to Luke Charman testing positive for Covid-19.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:36 pm

Dear me all this moaning about bringing in players and knocking them before they even kick a ball is detrimental to the manager's choices. Some on here must be depressive addicks no matter what the manager is a managing to do player wise for them he can't do right. you'd think they would give manager and players a chance before castigating them.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:58 pm

Alun has said in his pre-match interview we are still working on the big and experienced defender. There is certainly enough flex in the budget. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpxe4ijpowE

Taylor must have something about him. Seems like the change of manager at Sunderland is the only thing that stopped him progressing with them. Their loss is hopefully our gain.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:45 pm

Looking at the squad now 13 out of 19 are new signings with just six players retained. Quite amazing really. Can't expect all of these recruits to come off but its quite exciting I think to see such a new look team.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:48 pm

TFDM wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:58 pm
Taylor must have something about him.
Exactly. His interview didn't strike me as a player particularly happy to be playing in National League North next season, and certainly doesn't want that to be his future.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:18 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:32 am
Quakerlad wrote:

Doubtless you’ll say the club isn’t above criticism. And that’s true - but you aren’t reasonable in your criticism. You just leap in with negative rants at every opportunity.

Let’s see them in action before writing them off as signings.
Got to give you this one Darlogramps, I agree with you again, I did jump in too fast to be critical.

Didn’t know at time that Charman was out potentially for a few games and the new guy was just week to week. Makes total sense given Nelson cannot contribute much yet. Who knows he may turn out to be a revelation, and hope he is.

Like many others, know we need some experience at CH so was surprised to see another young untested player similar to the other two, so yes was disappointed. Again, hope he plays out of his skin if playing tomorrow.

You do to be fair ignore the positive posts and praise of signings that I have posted recently mind.

Look, both these guys and the whole team have my absolute backing tomorrow and let’s hope for an enjoyable day back in the ground.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:02 am

Hope Charman recovers without this post-Covid syndrome and that he wasn't in contact wiith the rest of the squad to infect them!

Dover Athletic have 2 confirmed cases and had to postpone their opener v Solihull as the whole squad are self-isolating for 10 days.

Something to be said for having a lone striker!😬

Arrgghh! Posted this before the news came out😪