Bar closure

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Post Reply
Alfie
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

Bar closure

Post by Alfie » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:37 pm

According to the club twitter the downstairs bar will close after kick off due to an 'unavoidable double booking'

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 666
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:13 pm

The timing of the announcement was terrible. What a start to the season. Welcome back folks!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quakerste
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by quakerste » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:20 pm

They tell you to go in and use the bar as the club gets more of a cut then they tell you can't because it's closed.

No words for this any more.

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 666
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:22 pm

You would think the terms of our licence would give us priority over the bar area on a match day


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlopj
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:36 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by Darlopj » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:25 pm

I understand that it's a wedding that was booked prior to the fixtures coming out but I agree the timing is piss poor. Not least by the bride and groom. I mean who gets married on the first day of the season? Must be an egg chaser.

quaker4life
Posts: 2500
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Bar closure

Post by quaker4life » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:40 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:22 pm
You would think the terms of our licence would give us priority over the bar area on a match day Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the tenant has more priority than the landlord then there is something wrong :lol:
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlogramps
Posts: 5641
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Bar closure

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:05 pm

So all it means is people can’t get a pint at half time, and will have to go into town afterwards (as most would do normally anyway).

Forgive me, but that’s no great hardship. I’m sure people can cope with going from 3pm til 5:30pm without getting a pint. Never understood why people get so worked up about needing to order booze at the game.

This isn’t a big deal, but doubtless people will whip it up into a massive crisis.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 666
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:10 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:22 pm
You would think the terms of our licence would give us priority over the bar area on a match day Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the tenant has more priority than the landlord then there is something wrong :lol:
Not really. It depends what is written in the contract.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onewayup
Posts: 2162
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by onewayup » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:11 pm

So what just call at one of the many hostelries along the road from the town,bloody hell it's not difficult to understand, the blackwell bar was booked before the games were sorted, it's one week,
Com,on gentlemen not worth getting steamed up about, it's not as if you can't get a pint on the way to the ground. Don't worry be happy. 1st game of the season. :thumbup: :thumbup:

darlo reborn
Posts: 1376
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by darlo reborn » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:18 pm

Sounds like it is still open before match so what's the problem

quaker4life
Posts: 2500
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Bar closure

Post by quaker4life » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:45 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:10 pm
quaker4life wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:22 pm
You would think the terms of our licence would give us priority over the bar area on a match day Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the tenant has more priority than the landlord then there is something wrong :lol:
Not really. It depends what is written in the contract.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you've entered an agreement as a landlord that allows the tenant to overrule you, you've surely made a mistake?

Anyway this was apparently arranged before the fixtures were released it's just one of them things not being able to get a pint at half time for one match isn't the end of the world.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5095
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:47 pm

Will it not feel a little strange to the wedding party goers to be celebrating to the backdrop of a noisy football match just outside the window?

When the best man gives his speech will he struggle to be heard over the back drop of " WHO R YER WHO R YER" ?
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Old Git
Posts: 1207
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by Old Git » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:31 pm

Not the end of the world but what a splendid day it will be when we leave Blackwell Meadows for our own stadium and be masters of our own destiny. Until then we will just have to go along with the Rugby Club. Really hope DJ can deliver us a new stadium.

lo36789
Posts: 9503
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:53 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:31 pm
Not the end of the world but what a splendid day it will be when we leave Blackwell Meadows for our own stadium and be masters of our own destiny. Until then we will just have to go along with the Rugby Club. Really hope DJ can deliver us a new stadium.
Except the suggestion is that we'd be looking for foreign investors who would control the commercial side...which would be thing likes wedding / events / hospitality use of the venue...

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5095
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:57 pm

I hope that Fecking clock reads the right time!
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Vokuhila
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlo

Re: Bar closure

Post by Vokuhila » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:40 pm

I think not being able to get a pint at halftime of a football match and a broken clock might be the finest first world problems I've read about in a while.

jjljks
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by jjljks » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:11 am

onewayup wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:11 pm
So what just call at one of the many hostelries along the road from the town,bloody hell it's not difficult to understand, the blackwell bar was booked before the games were sorted, it's one week,
Com,on gentlemen not worth getting steamed up about, it's not as if you can't get a pint on the way to the ground. Don't worry be happy. 1st game of the season. :thumbup: :thumbup:
TBH, from Polam Lane down to Blackwell Meadow I can only think of the Majestic Wine warehouse and Blackwell Grange hotel as among "the many hostelries" . Personally am looking forward to some celebratory libations in town after the match with some decent beers.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 13195
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by divas » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:38 am

Whilst it is an inconvenience I’m hoping that once we’re able to get the fan zone up and running it’ll help somewhat to mitigate this problem in future

Old Git
Posts: 1207
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:22 am

divas wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:38 am
Whilst it is an inconvenience I’m hoping that once we’re able to get the fan zone up and running it’ll help somewhat to mitigate this problem in future
Pity it is not up and running today. Won’t be so appealing in mid winter unless they have some industrial heaters to keep us warm.

User avatar
Kalu
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by Kalu » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:12 am

It’s not a major inconvenience and is pretty much unavoidable given the wedding was supposedly booked prior to the fixtures being released.

What is poor is the fact it was announced the day before the game. Whether that be the rugby club not letting the football club know until yesterday or the football club knowing in advance and not bothering to let it’s supporters know until the day before remains to be seen.

onewayup
Posts: 2162
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by onewayup » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:02 am

It doesn't matter anymore GAME IS OFF

jjljks
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by jjljks » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:45 am

Perhaps more time to sort out the fan zone?
Only the wedding party will be happy about the postponement!

alec.g.white7
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:32 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by alec.g.white7 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:40 pm

Time to move back to The Arena, at least you can get a pint anytime, stay dry and have a good view of the game.
Also increased hospitality revenue available to peruse.

quaker4life
Posts: 2500
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Bar closure

Post by quaker4life » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:17 pm

alec.g.white7 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:40 pm
Time to move back to The Arena, at least you can get a pint anytime, stay dry and have a good view of the game.
Also increased hospitality revenue available to peruse.
We can't afford the Arena.

If we could we would have moved back there some time ago, it's in the past and needs to be left there.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlogramps
Posts: 5641
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Bar closure

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:43 pm

Pretty clear from the last Fan’s Forum that The Arena isn’t an option DJ is considering.

Put simply, unless we can access a large amount of finance to buy our own ground, we’re at Blackwell and can only make the best of it.

Do love the fact the trigger for Alec.g.white7’s comment was the bar being closed on one occasion at half time two weeks ago for a match which didn’t happen anyway.

“No pint at half time! Right, let’s move grounds”.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Fat josh
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by Fat josh » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:41 pm

alec.g.white7 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:40 pm
Time to move back to The Arena, at least you can get a pint anytime, stay dry and have a good view of the game.
Also increased hospitality revenue available to peruse.
Pathetic

You've been crying on about your beloved Arena on here since 2014 .

Anyway it's all irrelevant as

I've heard from a high up at mowden park they know The Arena won't pass it's 10 year safety check in 2023

Plus the major design flaws in the 18 year old still unfinished areas

It's no longer cost effective to fix any more

They are seriously looking at demolishing the Arena and relocating .

Shame that innit
King of uncovered

Leader of the true fans against the Arena return resistance movement

joejaques
Posts: 2935
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Milford Haven

Re: Bar closure

Post by joejaques » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:14 pm

Fat josh wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:41 pm
alec.g.white7 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:40 pm
Time to move back to The Arena, at least you can get a pint anytime, stay dry and have a good view of the game.
Also increased hospitality revenue available to peruse.
Pathetic

You've been crying on about your beloved Arena on here since 2014 .

Anyway it's all irrelevant as

I've heard from a high up at mowden park they know The Arena won't pass it's 10 year safety check in 2023

Plus the major design flaws in the 18 year old still unfinished areas

It's no longer cost effective to fix any more

They are seriously looking at demolishing the Arena and relocating .

Shame that innit
Fundraising idea. Sell tickets to watch the demolition. :D :roll:
Image

quaker4life
Posts: 2500
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Bar closure

Post by quaker4life » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:24 pm

I remember a couple of years after moving in a massive crack formed in the wall next to the food kiosk in the concourse beneath block 10!

It was obviously repaired but it was shocking for what at the time was a newly built venue, the Arena was obviously rushed in the end but I'm intrigued as to what these supposed design flaws are aside from being it ridiculously over sized!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

jjljks
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bar closure

Post by jjljks » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:32 am

joejaques wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:14 pm
Fat josh wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:41 pm
alec.g.white7 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:40 pm
Time to move back to The Arena, at least you can get a pint anytime, stay dry and have a good view of the game.
Also increased hospitality revenue available to peruse.
Pathetic

You've been crying on about your beloved Arena on here since 2014 .

Anyway it's all irrelevant as

I've heard from a high up at mowden park they know The Arena won't pass it's 10 year safety check in 2023

Plus the major design flaws in the 18 year old still unfinished areas

It's no longer cost effective to fix any more

They are seriously looking at demolishing the Arena and relocating .

Shame that innit
Fundraising idea. Sell tickets to watch the demolition. :D :roll:
Brilliant idea! Let's do digital feature film on Quaker TV for the exiles & it would go viral on You Tube, thus generating even more cash BTB2🙌👊👍

Post Reply