National League voting changes

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:43 am

Gone unmentioned on here but the National League voting rights (where Step 2 clubs only got four votes per division) have been changed.

Good news - it’s one club, one vote.

Bad news - for any resolution to pass, it must include a majority of Step 1 clubs (so 13/24).

Therefore in theory, all 43 Step 2 clubs, plus 12 Step 1 clubs could vote for a resolution, and it would still fail.

It’s a better system than before, but the balance of power still lies with Step 1 clubs.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Re: National League voting changes

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:02 pm

I can’t see a difference. Step 1 still holds all the power. If 13 of their clubs vote for something then that’s it.

In fact could it be worse than before?

If I’ve understood it right, before if all step 2 clubs wanted something then 8 votes would carry forward to get added onto the step 1 vote, so in my imaginary example - 14 clubs in step 1 want fish for tea and 10 don’t. The 8 votes from step 2 get added on to the 10 (as all step 2 clubs don’t want fish too) and the result is - no fish for tea.

But under the new system, fish for tea as the 14 votes in favour trump everything else.

Somebody please say I'm wrong.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:11 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I can’t see a difference. Step 1 still holds all the power. If 13 of their clubs vote for something then that’s it.

In fact could it be worse than before?

If I’ve understood it right, before if all step 2 clubs wanted something then 8 votes would carry forward to get added onto the step 1 vote, so in my imaginary example - 14 clubs in step 1 want fish for tea and 10 don’t. The 8 votes from step 2 get added on to the 10 (as all step 2 clubs don’t want fish too) and the result is - no fish for tea.

But under the new system, fish for tea as the 14 votes in favour trump everything else.

Somebody please say I'm wrong.
Not quite. The 14 votes don’t trump anything else as you’d still need a majority to change rules.

Currently, there are 66 members of the National League. So for any resolution to pass, it would need a simple majority of votes (34 votes currently). Within that majority, it must also contain a majority of Step 1 clubs (I.E. at least 12 of the 23 clubs in that division).

So the Step 1 clubs can’t force through votes against the wishes of the majority (in the scenario you describe, those who want fish for tea would still need 34 votes). But they could block a resolution if a majority of Step 1 clubs voted against it.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Jackiegonzales

Post by Jackiegonzales » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:24 am

Let me be clear, the National League voting changes are an improvement. But it’s not a perfect system. The balance of power still lies with Step 1 clubs, and they may have more incentive to vote against any https://topcvwritersuk.com/cvpeople-review/ that benefits their competition in other divisions. This is why I think it would make sense for all 44 members of the league to come together on this issue and get involved in trying to change things themselves.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:49 pm

Which 44 members? Is it a lottery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk