Darlington V Alfreton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Alfreton

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:42 pm

Will some of our lads be able to train tonight? Anyone
Last edited by Darlopartisan on Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyDarlo

Re: Alfreton

Post by CrazyDarlo » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:24 pm

I believe so - yes

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:35 pm

Might as well use this as match thread. Very excited for tomorrow and to get the season underway. Let's hope the team can live up to the expectation that I'm sure will be there as its first game back after such a long period of time and that plenty of fans get down to BM to show their support. Will be tough for the lads having not played a match for 3 weeks in an already disrupted preseason but they're going to have to try and make the best of it.

Alfreton have had a tough start. Beaten 2-0 by Blyth, had their game against Leamington postponed and replaced it with a home game v Brackley for another defeat. We know exactly what we can expect from a Billy Heath time, lots of balls into the box and a team of giants to play against, not something we've handled particularly well in recent years despite our record against Alfreton at this level being pretty good.

Seems like it's a full squad to choose from tomorrow. So I think I'd go 4-4-2, don't think we were particularly great at CB over preseason so would give Taylor a go at CB. Rest of the team is not too difficult, but think Subs will be key for us to ease the load on some player, especially with another game to come on Monday. Probably harsh to leave out Hedley based on his preseason form but just rate Griffiths that bit more as a natural RB. Further up we need Cassidy to get in the game, be a handful and give as good as he gets in what I'm sure will be a rough and tumble game against their CBs. Know a lot of people don't like not having a Keeper on the bench but think it's worth it for the options we have.

------------------------- Taylor ------------------------
Griffiths ---- Taylor ---- Storey ---- Smith
Rivers----- Hatfield ---- Wheatley -- Dos Santos
--------------- Charman - Cassidy -------------

Subs: Beeden, Hedley, Purver, Mondal, Nelson

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:34 pm

That looks like a decent team on paper but I think AA will opt to play 3 in midfield and will include Purver to add some experience to the team.

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:04 pm

JE93 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:35 pm
Might as well use this as match thread. Very excited for tomorrow and to get the season underway. Let's hope the team can live up to the expectation that I'm sure will be there as its first game back after such a long period of time and that plenty of fans get down to BM to show their support. Will be tough for the lads having not played a match for 3 weeks in an already disrupted preseason but they're going to have to try and make the best of it.

Alfreton have had a tough start. Beaten 2-0 by Blyth, had their game against Leamington postponed and replaced it with a home game v Brackley for another defeat. We know exactly what we can expect from a Billy Heath time, lots of balls into the box and a team of giants to play against, not something we've handled particularly well in recent years despite our record against Alfreton at this level being pretty good.

Seems like it's a full squad to choose from tomorrow. So I think I'd go 4-4-2, don't think we were particularly great at CB over preseason so would give Taylor a go at CB. Rest of the team is not too difficult, but think Subs will be key for us to ease the load on some player, especially with another game to come on Monday. Probably harsh to leave out Hedley based on his preseason form but just rate Griffiths that bit more as a natural RB. Further up we need Cassidy to get in the game, be a handful and give as good as he gets in what I'm sure will be a rough and tumble game against their CBs. Know a lot of people don't like not having a Keeper on the bench but think it's worth it for the options we have.

------------------------- Taylor ------------------------
Griffiths ---- Taylor ---- Storey ---- Smith
Rivers----- Hatfield ---- Wheatley -- Dos Santos
--------------- Charman - Cassidy -------------

Subs: Beeden, Hedley, Purver, Mondal, Nelson
I thought that I heard that there were new rules re subs, and that there had to be a keeper on the bench. Anyone know if that is so?

lo36789

Re: Darlington V Alfreton

Post by lo36789 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:46 am

en passant wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:04 pm
I thought that I heard that there were new rules re subs, and that there had to be a keeper on the bench. Anyone know if that is so?
None that I have seen.

What would define someone as being a keeper?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:37 am

6.8 SUBSTITUTE PLAYERS
A Club at its discretion may use three substitute Players at any time in a match. Substitution can only be made when play is stopped for any reason and the Referee has given permission. When a Club is making a substitution it shall use a Board to show the number of the Player to be substituted and the number of the substitute Player. The substitution board used shall be branded as determined by the Competition.
A maximum of five substitutes may be nominated and they must be included on the official Team Sheet handed to the Referee before the match in accordance with Rule 8.20. A substitute may not be used to replace a Player who has been suspended from the match by the Match Officials.
If a Player does not take part in the match for which he is a nominated substitute he shall be deemed as not having played for the Club in that match.
From the extensive !!!! Vanarama league rules

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:41 am

I’m hoping we go
Taylor

Hedley
Beeden
Taylor
Smith

Wheatley
Purver
Hatfield

Mondal
Charman/Cassidy
Dos Santos

Subs: Martin, Griffiths, Storey, Nelson, Rivers

Blackwell64

Post by Blackwell64 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:09 am

I think that although Beeden is still growing as a player with their physical nature as a team with players like Matt Rhead up front he’ll be needed. Looking forward to what should be a special moment being back there in person. Can see that element being extra motivation to get a good performance today.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:29 am

Can’t see Rivers not been in the starting 11.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:46 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:29 am
Can’t see Rivers not been in the starting 11.
Recovering from Covid and not 100% sharp, so it is possible. However for experience I would expect him to be playing with so many debuts around.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:21 pm

Really looking forward to match today, weather great a few beers what can possibly go wrong🤪

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:19 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:21 pm
Really looking forward to match today, weather great a few beers what can possibly go wrong🤪
Beware. Famous Last Words. :roll:

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:38 pm

2 down just can’t deal with any crosses into the box

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:04 pm

Charman off injured in first half

bga

Post by bga » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:11 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:04 pm
I cannot get commentary but report on Club site says after going 2 nil down "Quakers responded by replacing Charman with Purver" so that suggests a tactical move?

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:19 pm

joejaques wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:19 pm
quakersfan wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:21 pm
Beware. Famous Last Words. :roll:
Wasn’t a good first half that’s for sure

bga

Post by bga » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:24 pm

1-3 now for those who can be bothered!

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:36 pm

bga wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:11 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:04 pm
I cannot get commentary but report on Club site says after going 2 nil down "Quakers responded by replacing Charman with Purver" so that suggests a tactical move?
The commentators said Charman just looked knackered, came back too soon from Covid :roll:

bga

Post by bga » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:02 pm

2-3 made a fight of it at least.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:04 pm

Refreshingly similar to pre-covid times. Couldn’t cope with Rhead, struggled to break down the opposition, poor refereeing. It’s good to be back….

Hopefully the comeback is more indicative of the season rather than the first half which was so poor

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:56 pm

That defence worries the hell out of me. Hopefully it's a work in progress because Alfreton found it way to easy to cut through our back line. If they continue to operate at that level we won't be keeping clean sheets. From what I saw Purver, Griffiths and Rivers should all be starting on Monday.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:02 pm

Does anyone know if Smith was injured, otherwise he would have started surely

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:07 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:56 pm
That defence worries the hell out of me. Hopefully it's a work in progress because Alfreton found it way to easy to cut through our back line. If they continue to operate at that level we won't be keeping clean sheets. From what I saw Purver, Griffiths and Rivers should all be starting on Monday.
I’m just hoping that once Griffiths and Smith are in at fullback that will help. We all know a CB is needed - AA just needs to find one, obviously easier said than done

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:09 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:07 pm
LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:56 pm
I’m just hoping that once Griffiths and Smith are in at fullback that will help. We all know a CB is needed - AA just needs to find one, obviously easier said than done

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:10 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:04 pm
Refreshingly similar to pre-covid times. Couldn’t cope with Rhead, struggled to break down the opposition, poor refereeing. It’s good to be back….

Hopefully the comeback is more indicative of the season rather than the first half which was so poor
I didn’t see a lot of poor refereeing but I did see a team that are nowhere near good enough.Alfreton will be one of the worst teams in the league and they outdid us in every department.Yes I know it’s our first game after a disjointed pre season but I expected better than that.
Get out of the bargain bins Armstrong and spend the money we’ve given you.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:40 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:10 pm
al_quaker wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:04 pm

I didn’t see a lot of poor refereeing but I did see a team that are nowhere near good enough.Alfreton will be one of the worst teams in the league and they outdid us in every department.Yes I know it’s our first game after a disjointed pre season but I expected better than that.
Get out of the bargain bins Armstrong and spend the money we’ve given you.

Agree, not good enough, but some poor decisions on the day too by AA in my view.

1. Why not start with Purver alongside Hatfield, Wheatley against a physical team. When he came on he made a big difference, he wants the ball and talks talks which we don’t have.
2. Given they had a big 6’3 centre forward why play a small, young kid against him and leave our big 6’3 centre half on bench. Beedon had a poor pre season but unfair on the young lad who was never going to be able to compete physically. Not sure he is built to be a centre half in this league.
3. 3-1 down, 30 mins to go, surely it was made for Nelson so why just swap full backs, and use up your subs?

Recruitment has been very poor and has given us a much weaker squad than any of last few seasons. He said early summer that he needed to bring in physically stronger players, well he hasn’t!
Some will say it’s too early to judge and hope your right.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:26 pm

Took us 75mns to start playing balls along the ground (which looked in great nick) but before then too many long balls. TBF Cassidy did get a head on quite a few without linking up to create chances, but generally we just gave away possession. Hope gave their winger far too much space, but Rhead just too big for our back 4 to handle. Wheatley looked to be a shadow of himself last season. Tommy Taylor saved several point blank efforts & kept score down
Crowd of 1700+ must have been disappointed & only the near £700 prize of 50/50 draw was cause for any celebration. Hatfield had little competition for his MOTM award, putting away his penalty well and playing some decent football. Junior Mondal largely ineffective but Kevin Dos Santos had a few good touches & put in a shift. AA needs to take a leaf out of Billy Heath's playbook and be a lot more vocal & sorting out issues immediately on the pitch

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:19 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:40 pm

Agree, not good enough, but some poor decisions on the day too by AA in my view.

1. Why not start with Purver alongside Hatfield, Wheatley against a physical team. When he came on he made a big difference, he wants the ball and talks talks which we don’t have. Some will say it’s too early to judge and hope your right.
Because including Purver would have meant leaving out Cassidy - who is our biggest physical presence. Charman is our main striker and would have to play. Therefore going with three in midfield would have meant leaving out Cassidy against a really physical Alfreton defence.

Not saying I agree with it (I've said before I don't rate Cassidy at all) but that will have been the logic.
2. Given they had a big 6’3 centre forward why play a small, young kid against him and leave our big 6’3 centre half on bench. Beedon had a poor pre season but unfair on the young lad who was never going to be able to compete physically. Not sure he is built to be a centre half in this league.
You've answered your own question here. Beeden was poor in pre-season. He might be a presence, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he'd have fared any better than Storey and Taylor today. Centre back is a position we know we're weak. Undoubtedly we'll need to bring in a commanding, experienced leader there because we're in for a disaster if it stays as is. With the transfer window closing this week, we may well see some movement from EFL clubs loaning out players further down the pyramid.
3. 3-1 down, 30 mins to go, surely it was made for Nelson so why just swap full backs, and use up your subs?
At a guess, Charman coming off early was unplanned and therefore, given we have two games in three days, I can only assume he was saving Nelson for Monday where I'd imagine he'll play some part. If Nelson (who's still rebuilding after a serious injury) came on and picked up an injury, leaving us with one fit forward for the Curzon game, AA would be slaughtered too.

AA suggested in his post-match interview Charman is nowhere near fitness after his bout of Covid. It does raise the question why he started in the first place.

I don't think anyone can pretend the first hour today was anything other than awful. Defensively we were shambolic. The number of headers they won against our defenders was incredible. Our starting front four also disappointed me. Mondal was anonymous, Charman barely had a kick and Cassidy appeared poor with the ball. I also disagree with jjljks about him winning headers. He was out-jumped and out-fought loads of times, and whenever he did win a flick on, it went nowhere.

Dos Santos did show enthusiasm. There's something there, although he lacked any sort of final ball today. Hopefully as he gets to grips with the league, he becomes more of a threat.

Overall a really poor day at the office. I don't even think the comeback was much to write home about. They were 3-0 up and took their foot off the gas in the last half hour. It should also be said Alfreton aren't a great side and I'd expect them to be bottom half. That they could have scored five or six in the first hour should give us cause for great concern.

Plenty of work to do for AA.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:53 pm

Have to say I agree again with you Darlogramps, very poor but not really surprising when you saw the defence and attack, both of which looked a long way below what is needed at this level. Against not a great side either who should probably have been 4 up by half time.

To me Some funny decisions on the day but basically AA has got his summer recruitment very wrong.