Blyth v Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Blyth v Darlo

Post by JE93 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:10 pm

Attempt number 4 to get our season off and underway tomorrow. Going to be another tough game, plenty of ex-players at Blyth who will need no extra motivation than trying to get one over on their old employers. Other than the ex-Darlo players there's also the ever green Robbie Dale to try and stop. They've had some good results this season, comfortably beaten Alfreton & Telford as well as a good 0-0 draw against Brackley. Michael Nelson has clearly been given a bit extra to spend after the last two seasons where they're only been saved by the season failing to complete.

For me I'd stick with the defensive approach, pack the centre of defence and give us some physicality in that position. Obviously Cooper will come straight in to the starting 11 but I'd like to see that stay as part of a 3, give Beeden the instruction to go be aggressive and try and win things in the air, let Cooper and Storey drop in behind that and keep us solid against any flick-ons etc. Rest of the team picks its self in this shape for me. Other thing to say, if we went for the team below we'd have 4/5 6ft plus players on the pitch, if that's the case we have to really use set pieces as teams have against us. Keeping everything crossed for a good result come tomorrow tea time.

---------------------- Taylor --------------------
---------- Beeden - Cooper - Storey ---------
Griffiths -------------------------------- Smith
-------- Hatfield - Wheatley - Purver -------
------------ Charman --- Cassidy -------------

Subs: Martin, Hedley, Dos Santos, Rivers, Nelson

Old Git

Re: Blyth v Darlo

Post by Old Git » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:19 am

Just a gut feeling and blind optimism perhaps but think it could just be our first win today. Will go 2-1 Darlo.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:23 am

This is my favourite away day game and unfortunately I cant make it😪. Neither team high scorers but feel we may just get something out of this, going with OG's score.

Only difference I would make to team above would be Headley in for Wheatley (he has been off his game lately).

"Up the Quakers"

Darlogramps

Blyth v Darlo

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:44 pm

JE93 has it spot on. Debut for Cooper and Beeden starts with Storey in a back three.

Brandon Taylor ill and not in the matchday squad.

Glad to see Charman starting, as I think Cassidy needs someone alongside him. All well and good Cassidy occupying defenders and winning headers, but he needs someone alongside him to pick up those flick ons and headers.

Also want to see a step up from Wheatley too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:13 pm

1-0 down already ☹️

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:24 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:1-0 down already Image
2 down now, awful defending yet again.This is getting ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:27 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:13 pm
1-0 down already ☹️
Make that 2.Hope everyone remembers the way to Bamber Bridge,Kendal etc :thumbdown:

bga

Post by bga » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:43 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:27 pm
Comfortably_numb wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:13 pm
1-0 down already ☹️
Make that 2.Hope everyone remembers the way to Bamber Bridge,Kendal etc :thumbdown:
Don't worry AA works on the basis that if the oppo score 2 we will score 1.......

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:45 pm

Charman gets 1 back

bga

Post by bga » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:08 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:45 pm
Charman gets 1 back
.......as I was saying now we need to break the mould! Come on
Darlo.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:51 pm

Much better performance after 20mins - takes pressure off players and AA to concentrate on game against Chester - IMO we are very slowly growing in confidence and getting better each match.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:11 pm

I would have taken a draw at the start (but was hoping for a 2-1 win) listened to the game, good to see the confidence to come back from 2-0 down.

It may just be me, but while I like rivers he is tricky and fast but not a defensive battler, and I am still not sure about Mondal, so I would have thought in a game like this KDS would have been a better option, (only imo of course).

What was pleasing was that as a back 4 it looked more solid and Storey's confidence grew with the new CB.

Still going to be a difficult season, but certainly signs there of potentially a good team in the making imo, and the confidence from that should help. Difficult game coming up though.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:37 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:51 pm
Much better performance after 20mins - takes pressure off players and AA to concentrate on game against Chester - IMO we are very slowly growing in confidence and getting better each match.

What about Brackley on Tuesday night?
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:44 pm

Nice to come back, and I would've taken a point at kick-off. Still a bit worrying we conceded two in quick succession but it's some small progress.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:55 pm

A step forward but someone needs to tell the squad we’re not playing off a two goal handicap.

Delighted for Nelson too. If he keeps developing his fitness, he could be brilliant for us.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:19 pm

An entertaining game and we fully deserved to take our first point of the season. Lets not kid ourselves we are still fragile in defence but at least Storey and Cooper did ok second half. We also showed plenty of spirit to come back from 2 down so all is not lost. Great to see Nelson back on target and both Charman and Cassidy proved to be a handful at times. Only a point but at least we have broken our duck and hopefully we can build on this result.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:49 pm

Not really sure how to take that result. Cant be pleased that once again it sounds like we've conceded really soft goals. But atleast there was the character there for a fight back and the lads didn't just dissolve. Add to that a second league goal in 2 games for Charman and a first goals back for Nelson. Even though it didn't work glad Alun tried something different in terms of formation to try and sure us up. But sounded like we were better team second half when moving back to 4 at at back.

Wasn't at the game so can't comment on performances but looking at us statistically, we've scored 1 less goal than Brackley in 2 less games. Yet they're second and we're last, seems to indicate that if we can sort out our defensive issues we have something there that can atleast get us into mid table.

Looking around the rest of the division it's still pretty topsy-turvy, Chester getting well beaten by a Chorley side who'd barely scored until they turned up last week and battered Gloucester for 9. And Leamington comfortable winners over Boston who are only mid table despite being many peoples dark horses. Fylde clearly the class of the league on the early showing, but think the gaps between all the rest has shrunk compared to previous seasons.

Herts exile, so looking forward to being at Brackley on Tuesday night to support the lads.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:12 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:55 pm
A step forward but someone needs to tell the squad we’re not playing off a two goal handicap.

LOL but at least the second half come back got us somewhere this time. I was very pleased by this result - it was the toughest match on paper so far and will hearten the team, it also counters any suspicions about dressing room tensions. If he can oversee a performance like this AA should stay. We know he's a great man for the cups so we fans should hold our nerves and look forward because with this league early form has been hard to evaluate for a few teams. Fix the back line and we can look up. Also, full marks for getting Nelson back, even slightly hampered he's a quality player at our level and, like the team, he can only get fitter. :D

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:19 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:49 pm
Not really sure how to take that result. Cant be pleased that once again it sounds like we've conceded really soft goals. But atleast there was the character there for a fight back and the lads didn't just dissolve. Add to that a second league goal in 2 games for Charman and a first goals back for Nelson. Even though it didn't work glad Alun tried something different in terms of formation to try and sure us up. But sounded like we were better team second half when moving back to 4 at at back.

Wasn't at the game so can't comment on performances but looking at us statistically, we've scored 1 less goal than Brackley in 2 less games. Yet they're second and we're last, seems to indicate that if we can sort out our defensive issues we have something there that can atleast get us into mid table.

Looking around the rest of the division it's still pretty topsy-turvy, Chester getting well beaten by a Chorley side who'd barely scored until they turned up last week and battered Gloucester for 9. And Leamington comfortable winners over Boston who are only mid table despite being many peoples dark horses. Fylde clearly the class of the league on the early showing, but think the gaps between all the rest has shrunk compared to previous seasons.

Herts exile, so looking forward to being at Brackley on Tuesday night to support the lads.
Apologies if I’ve asked you before but where in Herts do you live. I’m in St Evenage
Would have been at Brackley but up in Darlo at the mo

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:31 pm

comeondarlo wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:19 pm
JE93 wrote:

Apologies if I’ve asked you before but where in Herts do you live. I’m in St Evenage
You're just up the A602, I live in Ware mate.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:53 pm

"We spoke about them not being great at defending," said the Blyth boss after the game and he wasn't kidding as two hoisted balls into the box handed them free headers and a two-goal start. We were much better with a back four when Beeden came off and Cooper operated next to Storey. In the end Blyth were happy to hang on for a draw after spending much of the second half on the back foot. It felt like a significant step in steadying the ship and eventually coming up with a defensive line-up that isn't a soft touch any more.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:41 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:31 pm
comeondarlo wrote:
JE93 wrote:

Anything to do with Glaxo by chance?

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:55 pm

JE93 wrote:
comeondarlo wrote:
I bet it feels great to be able to put that one to bed now.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:38 pm

I'm still wondering where St Evenage is!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:00 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:38 pm
Is it where Dame Edna Everage lives ?

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:17 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:38 pm
It’s a in joke around these parts, Stevenage

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:55 am

:? This Home Counties banter needs looking at but isn't it nice to see a point bringing back the good vibrations.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:32 am

comeondarlo wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:41 pm
JE93 wrote:
comeondarlo wrote:
JE93 wrote:

No mate, I work in the city and handy train line into Liverpool Street. Still laughing at the St Evenage comment, if you know you know :lol:

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:33 am

JE93 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:32 am
comeondarlo wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:41 pm
JE93 wrote:
comeondarlo wrote:
JE93 wrote:

No mate, I work in the city and handy train line into Liverpool Street. Still laughing at the St Evenage comment, if you know you know :lol:
It appeared on the local tv weather map recently as ‘St Evenage’, always amuses me.

My Mrs works for Glaxo (hence we ended up in Stevenage) and I used to work in the West End, as you say very handy train line

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:52 am

Worked in Potters Bar for a few years. Lived in Tewin, Harpendon, and St Evenage. Liked St Evenage the least.