Darlo v York

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo v York

Post by JE93 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:49 am

Tough game incoming having Saturday, Tuesday games for the last couple of weeks and with York not only having midweek off but also all week to prepare for the game. They've not had the best of starts largely due to injuries in their back line but it seems like things are starting to come together for them. They certainly have choice of two big lads upfront in Donaldson and Beck who will cause us problems if we're not challenging for and winning our share of headers at the back.

4-3-3 seems to have given us the most competitive so it makes sense to stick with it and I've gone for the team.below. GK and back 4 picks itself. Wasn't there on Tueaday to see how Hedley got on at CM but was there at Brackley and the midfield 3 were excellent that night so going to bring Ourver back in. For me Rivers offers some of the natural width you need of you're playing 4-3-3 so I'd bring him in for Nelson. Hopefully Cassidy will have the fire in his belly to prove those York fans that slated him wrong, think he's had a very promising start to the season. On the bench we have some good options in Dos Santos, Nelson and Lambert who could all come on and potentially change the shape of the team.

-------------------------- Taylor -----------------------
Griffiths --- Cooper --- Storey ------ Smith
------- Purver --- Hatfield --- Wheatley -----
------- Rivers ---- Cassidy --- Charman -----

Subs: Hedley, Beeden, Dos Santos, Nelson, Lambert

Hopefully a big crowd down at BM and a win to keep on pushing us up the table.

Darlopartisan
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:55 pm

Is Beeden injured, hasn’t featured much lately, might need him to counter Becks hight.

Old Git
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Old Git » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:12 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:55 pm
Is Beeden injured, hasn’t featured much lately, might need him to counter Becks hight.
No not injured as far as I know just not good enough based on his appearances so far.

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by D_F_C » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:58 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:12 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:55 pm
Is Beeden injured, hasn’t featured much lately, might need him to counter Becks hight.
No not injured as far as I know just not good enough based on his appearances so far.
Agree with the starting 11 from the opening poster. Beedon was doing a workout with the fitness coach before the Chester game.

lo36789
Posts: 9571
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by lo36789 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:53 am

D_F_C wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:58 pm
Old Git wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:12 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:55 pm
Is Beeden injured, hasn’t featured much lately, might need him to counter Becks hight.
No not injured as far as I know just not good enough based on his appearances so far.
Agree with the starting 11 from the opening poster. Beedon was doing a workout with the fitness coach before the Chester game.
That's sounds like an awful lot like a fitness test to be honest...he wouldn't travel to Chester just to do a workout.

Lallacab
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:49 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Lallacab » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:07 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:53 am
D_F_C wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:58 pm
Old Git wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:12 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:55 pm
Is Beeden injured, hasn’t featured much lately, might need him to counter Becks hight.
No not injured as far as I know just not good enough based on his appearances so far.
Agree with the starting 11 from the opening poster. Beedon was doing a workout with the fitness coach before the Chester game.
That's sounds like an awful lot like a fitness test to be honest...he wouldn't travel to Chester just to do a workout.
It was the Chester home game I believe , just not in the squad on merit from what I have heard

jjljks
Posts: 2363
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by jjljks » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:09 am

Just hope we can put it all together against York, decent crowd & well behaved, decent ref & officials, decent weather, decent prepared pitch and decent competitive match. Mind, I would swap that for a flukey 1-0 win in the blink of an eye.

Vokuhila
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlo

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Vokuhila » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:25 pm

I'll have to see it again, but that might just be the most astonishing sending-off I've ever seen.

Old Git
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Old Git » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:28 pm

Arrrgh Bugger

Alfie
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Alfie » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:42 pm

Vokuhila wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:25 pm
I'll have to see it again, but that might just be the most astonishing sending-off I've ever seen.
Had a look at several York social media sites and it seems you are wrong - thru their eyes it was one of the worst tackles ever.

spen666
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by spen666 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:42 pm

Vokuhila wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:25 pm
I'll have to see it again, but that might just be the most astonishing sending-off I've ever seen.
no complaint on club twitter account
31’ | RED CARD - COOPER

A late challenge from Cooper and the referee shows him a straight red

(0-1)

#WeAreDarlo⚫️⚪️
nor any suggestion on York twitter of anything other than a straight red
York City FC @YorkCityFC
2h
30' - RED CARD FOR DARLO!

Jake Cooper is sent off after a late challenge on Olly Dyson on the right wing.

(0-1) #YCFC

Why do you say it was astonishing?

Vokuhila
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlo

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Vokuhila » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:02 pm

As I say, I'll have to see it again, but I can't remember ever being more astonished to see a red card brandished, so I'm not wrong to say that it might just be the most astonishing sending-off I've ever seen.

Just let me be astonished, alright?! :lol:

JE93
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by JE93 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:03 pm

spen666 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:42 pm
Vokuhila wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:25 pm
I'll have to see it again, but that might just be the most astonishing sending-off I've ever seen.
no complaint on club twitter account
31’ | RED CARD - COOPER

A late challenge from Cooper and the referee shows him a straight red

(0-1)

#WeAreDarlo⚫️⚪️
nor any suggestion on York twitter of anything other than a straight red
York City FC @YorkCityFC
2h
30' - RED CARD FOR DARLO!

Jake Cooper is sent off after a late challenge on Olly Dyson on the right wing.

(0-1) #YCFC

Why do you say it was astonishing?
Interesting take from someone who wasn't there and isn't a fan of either side playing today. Dont you normally need outstanding proof, such as Mr Groves 7 figure investment into the club, to give an opinion on such things?

Got to remember our social media feeds are handled professionally. Not like say Spennymoor. I could point to examples where your social media team tried to blame BPA for not accepting a price cut for the playoff game despite BPA pointing out it was against league rules.... but its been conveniently deleted without apology by FC Holier Than Thou.

I'll wait to see some of the game before I comment, but sounded like a spirited second half when we could have crumbled with things going against us. Was always going to be hard against a full time side with the number of games we've played recently.

Telford game next week becomes a big one.

AndyPark
Posts: 11718
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by AndyPark » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:05 pm

That referee was absolutely shocking. Spoilt the game.

LoidLucan
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:17 pm

It wasn't serious foul play or violent conduct, he didn't deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity and there was no offensive or insulting or abusive language so I'd say, yes, it was an astonishing decision. The York fans I spoke to thought Cooper must have said something because they couldn't belueve the challenge warranted a red. I assume AA was sent to the balcony because of something he said to the clown.

Darlo_Rob
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:20 pm

I was in the tin shed so quite a long way away, but although there wasn’t much force in the tackle Coopers tackle was very high, looked thigh area. I tried to argue against it at first and I need to see it again, but it I think the red card was fair. Cooper didn’t argue either. It would definitely be given in the prem. Penalty looked like Purver hauled Beck down. He might have gone easily, but which striker wouldn’t, so again probably the right decision.

In all honesty I don’t think the referee had that bad a match and I’m usually the first to have a go at them.

As to the game, we were very good first 15 minutes, let them dictate for the next 10 and they scored a very scrappy goal. Sending off changed things, but we kept battling to the end and York fans must have been embarrassed at the end when they were keeping the ball in the corner against 10 men.

LoidLucan
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:27 pm

The York Press said: "It was perhaps a touch harsh on the Darlo man, whose body-check on Dyson definitely deserved a yellow, and the red seemed to catch most of the crowd by surprise."

I can tell you that Cooper was astonished by the decision as were all of the players nearby and at least one member of the York coaching staff. No-one would have raised an eyebrow if that had been a yellow card.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsr
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 10:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by dsr » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:32 pm

I know it is early in the season and that a couple of wins will paint a very different picture, but I have a sense that there will be half a dozen or so teams scrabbling to avoid being in the bottom two and that we will be in that mix.

spen666
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by spen666 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:34 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:03 pm
spen666 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:42 pm
Vokuhila wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:25 pm
I'll have to see it again, but that might just be the most astonishing sending-off I've ever seen.
no complaint on club twitter account
31’ | RED CARD - COOPER

A late challenge from Cooper and the referee shows him a straight red

(0-1)

#WeAreDarlo⚫️⚪️
nor any suggestion on York twitter of anything other than a straight red
York City FC @YorkCityFC
2h
30' - RED CARD FOR DARLO!

Jake Cooper is sent off after a late challenge on Olly Dyson on the right wing.

(0-1) #YCFC

Why do you say it was astonishing?
Interesting take from someone who wasn't there and isn't a fan of either side playing today. Dont you normally need outstanding proof, such as Mr Groves 7 figure investment into the club, to give an opinion on such things?

Got to remember our social media feeds are handled professionally. Not like say Spennymoor. I could point to examples where your social media team tried to blame BPA for not accepting a price cut for the playoff game despite BPA pointing out it was against league rules.... but its been conveniently deleted without apology by FC Holier Than Thou.

I'll wait to see some of the game before I comment, but sounded like a spirited second half when we could have crumbled with things going against us. Was always going to be hard against a full time side with the number of games we've played recently.

Telford game next week becomes a big one.

I haven't made any take on it. I was asking why the poster thought it was the most astonishing red card they had ever seen when neither of the tweets quoted seemed to say there was anything controversial.

I haven't given an opinion on the sending off and won't.

LoidLucan
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:37 pm

So why are you actually here?

AndyPark
Posts: 11718
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by AndyPark » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:39 pm

Because he’s a prick, adamant on getting a reaction from
Darlo fans.

Old Git
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Old Git » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:42 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:20 pm
I was in the tin shed so quite a long way away, but although there wasn’t much force in the tackle Coopers tackle was very high, looked thigh area. I tried to argue against it at first and I need to see it again, but it I think the red card was fair. Cooper didn’t argue either. It would definitely be given in the prem. Penalty looked like Purver hauled Beck down. He might have gone easily, but which striker wouldn’t, so again probably the right decision.

In all honesty I don’t think the referee had that bad a match and I’m usually the first to have a go at them.

As to the game, we were very good first 15 minutes, let them dictate for the next 10 and they scored a very scrappy goal. Sending off changed things, but we kept battling to the end and York fans must have been embarrassed at the end when they were keeping the ball in the corner against 10 men.
A very fair summary.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5704
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:05 pm

AndyPark wrote:Because he’s a prick, adamant on getting a reaction from
Darlo fans.
Andy’s got it in one.

Spen actually spends more time talking about Darlington, trying to get a rise out of Darlo fans, than the club he alleges he supports.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JasonDeVos
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by JasonDeVos » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:29 pm

Telling that Purver was put to centre back and Taylor was kept on the bench??

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2278
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:37 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:29 pm
Telling that Purver was put to centre back and Taylor was kept on the bench??
Extremely. We appear to have 2 unselectable centre halves in the squad, a similar situation to Jonny Burn and James Caton.

Emdubya
Posts: 900
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Emdubya » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:49 pm

Neither Taylor or Beeden are ready for this level of football which means Armstrong will again be scratting around for a loan centre half to cover Coopers suspension .
Lose to Telford next week and the timer should be starting.Tick tock Alun.

Old Git
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Old Git » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:54 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:29 pm
Telling that Purver was put to centre back and Taylor was kept on the bench??
Big problem for us having Cooper suspended if he is unable to appeal against his red card. Anyone know how many games he is likely to be suspended for?
Agree with your comment regarding Taylor as you would have expected AA to send on a central defender to replace Cooper and perhaps sacrifice a midfielder. Also telling that we were facing a big threat in the air today from Beck and our tallest defender Beedon not even on the bench.

jjljks
Posts: 2363
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by jjljks » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:13 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:05 pm
That referee was absolutely shocking. Spoilt the game.
Absolutely, even the lino on seating stand side was shocking, shouting "man on" & almost coaching York then not giving fouls / offsides etc. Beck had more handfuls of our back 4 than Prince Andrew. In 2nd half, ref started to flash York some cards but too late to make any difference.
Why do we keep getting these incompetent officials? QTV will show just how bad they were.

JasonDeVos
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by JasonDeVos » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:19 pm

:)
Old Git wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:54 pm
JasonDeVos wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:29 pm
Telling that Purver was put to centre back and Taylor was kept on the bench??
Big problem for us having Cooper suspended if he is unable to appeal against his red card. Anyone know how many games he is likely to be suspended for?
Agree with your comment regarding Taylor as you would have expected AA to send on a central defender to replace Cooper and perhaps sacrifice a midfielder. Also telling that we were facing a big threat in the air today from Beck and our tallest defender Beedon not even on the bench.
Looks to me that never are trusted by Armstrong

bigdavethemaddog
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Darlo v York

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:26 pm

https://twitter.com/YorkCityFC/status/1 ... 0651743243

Steve Watson 'the sending off wasnt as clear cut as the penalty'

Post Reply