Darlington Attendaces - One for the Oldies

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: Darlington Attendaces - One for the Oldies

Post by Wiseacre » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:10 pm

I'd like to hear more about that game - that was when celebrated tough guy Johnny Morrissey came up against John Peverill. Like to have seen that.

banktopp
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by banktopp » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:55 pm

Feethams 1965 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:41 pm
Having been in a crowd of 16000+ at Feethams I can only say that it was extremely uncomfortable and probably downright dangerous; you saw very little of the match, were squeezed from all sides and choked from fag smoke. But as others have said there were some outstanding performances and the standout one for me was the 1-0 league cup defeat by top of the First Division side Everton in 1969.
Crowd of 16000+, would that have been the last game of the 65/66 season against Torquay United. ?
We needed to win to be champions but only drew 0-0 in front of 16469, and Doncaster pipped us to the title.
Great season that one with Bobby Cummings and Barry Hutchinson strikers, arguably the best keeper we've ever had in Tony Moor.
Even Yogi chipped in with a couple of goals that season, one I seem to remember a piledriver, in old parlance.
And what an Everton team that was we played. No reserves sent out to play in the league cup back then.
Joe Royle, Alan Ball, Howard Kendall, Colin Harvey , Gordon West in goal and Morrissey.
Stand out game for me though will always be the 5-4 defeat to Cloughie's Derby County in 1967.

Will win

Post by Will win » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:12 pm

Anyone remember oct24 1960? attendance 17057, followed by 21023 on nov 14 now that was what crowding was all about!Those games are still in the memory cells never to be forgotten ——- anyone else around who was there to remember?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:45 pm

Will win wrote:Anyone remember oct24 1960? attendance 17057, followed by 21023 on nov 14 now that was what crowding was all about!Those games are still in the memory cells never to be forgotten ——- anyone else around who was there to remember?
Would that be West Ham followed by Bolton?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:25 pm

Will win wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:12 pm
Anyone remember oct24 1960? attendance 17057, followed by 21023 on nov 14 now that was what crowding was all about!Those games are still in the memory cells never to be forgotten ——- anyone else around who was there to remember?
Was at both. Only 11 but actually had a reasonable view from the south terrace for West Ham game. Saw not a thing of the Bolton game,
but I was there and lived to tell the tale.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:53 am

Feethams 1965 wrote:
Having been in a crowd of 16000+ at Feethams I can only say that it was extremely uncomfortable and probably downright dangerous; you saw very little of the match, were squeezed from all sides and choked from fag smoke. But as others have said there were some outstanding performances and the standout one for me was the 1-0 league cup defeat by top of the First Division side Everton in 1969.
The game where Lance clattered West after about 3 minutes and from then on West got rid of the ball as soon as he got it all night.
I remember Royal clattering Tony Moor just before Ball got the goal for them.
I was up in the West stand seats that night so it was not so bad.
I was there v Bolton and the Arse but the most crowded I ever felt was the day we drew with Torquay to finish runners up. Think there were about 17000 that day.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:55 am

banktopp wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:55 pm
Feethams 1965 wrote:

Stand out game for me though will always be the 5-4 defeat to Cloughie's Derby County in 1967.
The Pompey 4-1 earlier in the comp remains my all-time best game ever watched.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:57 am

banktopp wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:25 pm
Will win wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:12 pm
Was at both. Only 11 but actually had a reasonable view from the south terrace for West Ham game. Saw not a thing of the Bolton game,
but I was there and lived to tell the tale.
Makes you a tad older than me as I was 10. I was in the East Paddock for both games.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:23 am

Things have changed and 'woke' generation would be appalled to think fans used to go tooled up with home-made wooden rattles and rosettes in club colours (no expensive replica shirts in 1950's). The vegans would be shocked at the number of pies & volumes of instant Bovril hot beef drinks consumed, let alone the dubbing used on heavy leather 'caser' balls with pig bladders laced in that were the balls. Health & safety was a small team of uniformed StJohn's ambulance volunteers who took around a blanket collection at halftime when fans pelted them with coins. Occasionally they would carry off a casualty on a wooden stretcher or less serious injuries treated by an icy sponge of cold water from a galvanised bucket. There was an unintelligible Tannoy that was useless so fans would buy programmes which had a decoding key for getting half time score that were posted by a system of capital letters allocated to matches that had numbers added. Some lucky fans had tiny transistor radios tuned to BBC radio & news of results spread like Chinese whispers (not always correct). Add in the bizarre changing ends at halftime to ensure you were behind the goal that we were kicking into, almost like spawning salmon that return to their origins, mixing with opposing fans or others returning with pies & hot drinks to find a spot on the crumbling concrete terraces. Don't forget the aroma of the primitive toilets (more of a brick wall & gutter) plus clouds of Woodbine/ Capstan/ rollup smoke and fog off the Skerne rolling down onto the pitch which created an unforgettable atmosphere.
Those were "the good old days", but we had to move on. At least in modern times we got the chance to see our team play at Wembley (& even win!). Enjoy what we have now.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:50 am

jjljks wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:23 am
Things have changed and 'woke' generation would be appalled to think fans used to go tooled up with home-made wooden rattles and rosettes in club colours (no expensive replica shirts in 1950's). The vegans would be shocked at the number of pies & volumes of instant Bovril hot beef drinks consumed, let alone the dubbing used on heavy leather 'caser' balls with pig bladders laced in that were the balls. Health & safety was a small team of uniformed StJohn's ambulance volunteers who took around a blanket collection at halftime when fans pelted them with coins. Occasionally they would carry off a casualty on a wooden stretcher or less serious injuries treated by an icy sponge of cold water from a galvanised bucket. There was an unintelligible Tannoy that was useless so fans would buy programmes which had a decoding key for getting half time score that were posted by a system of capital letters allocated to matches that had numbers added. Some lucky fans had tiny transistor radios tuned to BBC radio & news of results spread like Chinese whispers (not always correct). Add in the bizarre changing ends at halftime to ensure you were behind the goal that we were kicking into, almost like spawning salmon that return to their origins, mixing with opposing fans or others returning with pies & hot drinks to find a spot on the crumbling concrete terraces. Don't forget the aroma of the primitive toilets (more of a brick wall & gutter) plus clouds of Woodbine/ Capstan/ rollup smoke and fog off the Skerne rolling down onto the pitch which created an unforgettable atmosphere.
Those were "the good old days", but we had to move on. At least in modern times we got the chance to see our team play at Wembley (& even win!). Enjoy what we have now.
You should be a Poet! I can relate to all of that. Not forgetting that dangerous act of throwing loo rolls on the pitch how hard were we!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:26 am

jjljks wrote:
A great trip down memory lane

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:23 pm

Not sure what being 'woke' or 'vegan' has to do with any of that. I miss Feethams, and old Football Stadiums in general, but the kids and younger generations didn't 'update' football. The process began in the 90's, and generally (this might shock you to learn), adults tend to make the big decisions. Semi-blaming young people for a changing world that they held basically no say in the process of changing is the sort of nostalgic boomer nonsense that made Facebook unusable. Give it a rest man.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:05 pm

H1987 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:23 pm
Not sure what being 'woke' or 'vegan' has to do with any of that. I miss Feethams, and old Football Stadiums in general, but the kids and younger generations didn't 'update' football. The process began in the 90's, and generally (this might shock you to learn), adults tend to make the big decisions. Semi-blaming young people for a changing world that they held basically no say in the process of changing is the sort of nostalgic boomer nonsense that made Facebook unusable. Give it a rest man.
Try giving it a rest yourself mate.This is someone’s recollection of how things used to be at Feethams which a fair few of us can relate to and is doing no harm on a quiet day Lon here.Lighten up FFS.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:29 pm

jjljks wrote:
You missed off the pre match and half time entertainment, supplied enthusiastically by the Cockerton Silver Band. Can hear Colonel Bogie now,
and of course the inimitable "I'm Henery the VIII, I am". Didn't realize bandsmen each got £5 and free admission though.
Probably more than some players.

Will win

Post by Will win » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:53 pm

Thanks jjlks I was the voice of the unintelligible tannoy! Started august 1960 — dldnt know i was that bad although northern echo once had a complaint letter in complaining about the cacophany of sound! Happy days!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:47 pm

What a great, fun thread. I'm old school too and after watching Darlington since 1978 and Liverpool since the early 70s give me a cold night away at Wigan's Springfield Park. I recently sat in the Annie Road at Anfield watching the tourist fans making cut throat gestures at West Ham. I despair at the Premier League and won't be rushing back, Chorley awaits.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:53 pm

banktopp wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:29 pm
jjljks wrote:
You missed off the pre match and half time entertainment, supplied enthusiastically by the Cockerton Silver Band. Can hear Colonel Bogie now,
and of course the inimitable "I'm Henery the VIII, I am". Didn't realize bandsmen each got £5 and free admission though.
Probably more than some players.
Thanks for reminding me, was always going to miss some bits of our history as memory starts to fail me. I should also have mentioned the little hut near the front gates with lovely old lady selling programmes, nipping into the cricket club bar after the match & rubbing shoulders with our players.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:27 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:47 pm
What a great, fun thread. I'm old school too and after watching Darlington since 1978 and Liverpool since the early 70s give me a cold night away at Wigan's Springfield Park. I recently sat in the Annie Road at Anfield watching the tourist fans making cut throat gestures at West Ham. I despair at the Premier League and won't be rushing back, Chorley awaits.
See you at Chorley :thumbup: #UpTheDarlo

Feethams 1965

Post by Feethams 1965 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:10 pm

Does anyone else remember that awful song "let's sing Darlington forever" which some bloke sang and was played over the tannoy at matches towards the end of the 66/67 season, when the club launched a competition for a Darlo song to the tune of John Brown's body? It still makes me cringe.