Southport...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Southport...

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:53 pm

Shame that Ellis misses out as we could have done with him for the aerial bombardment that we will face at times. They make full use of long throws whenever they can and everyone will have to play a part in standing up to it.

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1987
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:57 pm

Cracking start 🙁

Old Git
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by Old Git » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:58 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:57 pm
Cracking start 🙁
For Southport 😢

Old Git
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by Old Git » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:03 pm

Yet another goal conceded from a set piece. Hope Ellis back soon.

Yarblockos
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:06 pm

The commentary is awful, don't know whats happening most of the time.

AndyPark
Posts: 11718
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by AndyPark » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:21 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:06 pm
The commentary is awful, don't know whats happening most of the time.
I have learned more about this Southport Defender having a long throw then knowing what on earth is going on in the game.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2295
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:27 pm

Sounds like we are getting bullied all over the park and lucky to be only 1 down.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


karlo-cardiff
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:16 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by karlo-cardiff » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:30 pm

We sound terrible.. Not that im hearing anything other than this guys long throws.. Neither keeper has had a save to make yet despite the goal

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk


Old Git
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by Old Git » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:34 pm

2 nil just before half-time. Sounds like we are awful.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2295
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:48 pm

They looked decent on the video highlights of the Spenny cup game and looked a tough, physical side and seems like they are overpowering us.Hope AA can get us going in the second half, an early goal and you never know.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Emdubya
Posts: 900
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by Emdubya » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:57 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:48 pm
They looked decent on the video highlights of the Spenny cup game and looked a tough, physical side and seems like they are overpowering us.Hope AA can get us going in the second half, an early goal and you never know.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Don’t think Armstrong could get us going with a set of jumper leads.Just keep whacking it up to Cassidy and put Nelson on at 85 minutes.☹️

darlo reborn
Posts: 1383
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:20 pm

Funny how the 2 games he missed we were ok makes you wonder what he is saying to them at times.

User avatar
TKOA
Posts: 783
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:59 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Manchester

Re: Southport...

Post by TKOA » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:20 pm

A local away match for me, I should have been there tonight but thanks to covid I couldn’t make it so I can only go off the commentary. Looking at Southports results perhaps they’re in a bit of a false position? they had only played 7 games before tonight and have 2 good FA Cup wins over Chorley and Spenny. Sounds like we’re definitely missing Ellis though!

JABWootton
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by JABWootton » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:44 pm

darlo reborn wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:20 pm
Funny how the 2 games he missed we were ok makes you wonder what he is saying to them at times.
Or if they are even listening. Seem to remember that there were issues before the 2 games. Think it's a blip and once all the squad are back we will improve. Can't get much worse

Darlopartisan
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:48 pm

Luke Charman sent off

MB86DFC
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:49 pm

JABWootton wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:44 pm
darlo reborn wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:20 pm
Funny how the 2 games he missed we were ok makes you wonder what he is saying to them at times.
Or if they are even listening. Seem to remember that there were issues before the 2 games. Think it's a blip and once all the squad are back we will improve. Can't get much worse
We’re missing one player. It isn’t a blip. This is a hammering by the team at the bottom without a league win. This is piss poor summer recruitment showing

Old Git
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by Old Git » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:51 pm

As if it wasn’t a bad enough evening we will now be without Charman. So much for 7/9 points from the 3 games this week.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2278
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:53 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:49 pm
JABWootton wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:44 pm
darlo reborn wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:20 pm
Funny how the 2 games he missed we were ok makes you wonder what he is saying to them at times.
Or if they are even listening. Seem to remember that there were issues before the 2 games. Think it's a blip and once all the squad are back we will improve. Can't get much worse
We’re missing one player. It isn’t a blip. This is a hammering by the team at the bottom without a league win. This is piss poor summer recruitment showing
Nail on head

50 years
Posts: 449
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by 50 years » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:12 pm

Very poor tonight, they deserved the win, we had one decent shot on target all game, they had a plan, and we didn't, they looked faster and fitter than us and won all first and second balls. We were slow in build up most of the time. Tommy Taylor made a howler for the 3rd goal but made up for it with a penalty save (and give him his due he held his hand up to apologise to the fans at the end). Southport weren't a good team but much better than us. To be honest I think Ellis would have made a difference but its serious if one player makes that much difference, and the others not willing to step up. Something seems to have changed since Alan came back, but what I don't know.

Disappointing night and a lot of unhappy fans there tonight.
Last edited by 50 years on Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darlo_baron
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:28 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by darlo_baron » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:13 pm

We've had long enough to judge this team now and it's obvious we are in for another season of complete mediocrity at very best.

Suppose it is what it is. We are where we are as a club and any thoughts of getting out this division feel extremely long term. It's difficult to get excited about games as every good result is followed by a performance like this.
Craig Liddle is God!!

LoidLucan
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:18 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:51 pm
As if it wasn’t a bad enough evening we will now be without Charman.
I wonder if there's been some history behind the sendings off at the end. The Southport player Bainbridge and Charman had apparently been having words earlier before the red cards. Bainbridge played for Sunderland under-23s when Charman was at Newcastle and their paths definitely crossed at that time. Sounds like it was a bit of a scrap.

jjljks
Posts: 2363
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by jjljks » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:45 am

TBF Southport are probably in a false position having played most of the teams at the top before us, but despite that we were undone by basic route 1 tactics & outplayed/outmuscled. Poor performance capped by Charman rising to the bait & getting a red card in the final minutes of what was by then a lost cause. No apology is enough, drastic action is needed by AA

eddie-rowles
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:29 am

TW won 21 (30%) of his 71 NLN games before leaving: AA I believe only has Joe Wheatley left from TW days and has also won 21 (38%) of his 55 NLN games so there is a slight improvement over the last couple of seasons; but I have resigned myself to a bottom half of the table finish with only our NE neighbours Blyth not joining York, Gateshead and Evenwood Utd in the playoffs. Without a FA trophy run it is going to be a tough old season.

darlo2001uk
Posts: 1368
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:21 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:18 pm
Old Git wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:51 pm
As if it wasn’t a bad enough evening we will now be without Charman.
I wonder if there's been some history behind the sendings off at the end. The Southport player Bainbridge and Charman had apparently been having words earlier before the red cards. Bainbridge played for Sunderland under-23s when Charman was at Newcastle and their paths definitely crossed at that time. Sounds like it was a bit of a scrap.
What goes through the mind of a player to get involved in a sending-off incident in the final minute of a game when you are 3-0 down? Bizarre.

onewayup
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by onewayup » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:33 am

I would guess frustration got the better of him after a very disappointing result and in game chiding spilled over. Very poor performance from all darlington FC last night .at least alun changed it just after half time. To give us a chance. Undone by the long ball again we just can't seem to deal with long ball teams. Alun has to sort that out. Anyway onto Saturday and hopefully a much better performance from the lads.

Old Git
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by Old Git » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:35 am

A very honest and blunt assessment from AA in his post match interview with Ray. Describes the first half performance as embarrassing and unacceptable but it feels like we have been here before. Ultimately he has to take responsibility if the players are underperforming on a regular basis.
Really hope he can get a positive reaction and we will see a vastly improved performance against Guiesley on Saturday. No mention of whether Ellis will be fit to return but would be a massive boost if he is back. Presumably Charman could get a 3 match ban for a straight red card so will be interesting to see who will be selected up front if his ban kicks in straight away.
Have to agree with eddie rowles it could be a long season if we are rooted in the bottom half of the league looking up at York Heed and Spenny challenging for promotion.

Darlopartisan
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:27 am

Should give Danny Rose a start on Saturday .

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5854
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:38 am

darlo2001uk wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:21 am
LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:18 pm
Old Git wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:51 pm
As if it wasn’t a bad enough evening we will now be without Charman.
I wonder if there's been some history behind the sendings off at the end. The Southport player Bainbridge and Charman had apparently been having words earlier before the red cards. Bainbridge played for Sunderland under-23s when Charman was at Newcastle and their paths definitely crossed at that time. Sounds like it was a bit of a scrap.
What goes through the mind of a player to get involved in a sending-off incident in the final minute of a game when you are 3-0 down? Bizarre.
Going to defend Charman on this one.

From our view he was on the floor with the Southport lad over him and the Southport lad had his hand round his neck pushing him down. He didn’t seem to hit or fight back but tried to get up off the floor, was surprised Charman was sent off to be honest.

I am assuming we will appeal, unless I missed something at the time which is possible.

lo36789
Posts: 9571
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport...

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:04 am

From what I understand both players had each other by the neck on the ground. Pretty impossible to see anything from the stands given there were c. 18 other players on top of them at the time.

I am not even sure how much the footage will pick up given the crowd that swarmed in. The club cameras were on opposite sides of the pitch so that might help clear it up.

Appreciate what people say about being Ellis being only one player, but equally Southport's one and only threat was putting a ball on top of our centre backs. We still looked pretty toothless even if we had managed to defend long throws and corners.

User avatar
beatroute66
Posts: 1437
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:46 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Ingleby Barwick

Re: Southport...

Post by beatroute66 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:02 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:21 am
What goes through the mind of a player to get involved in a sending-off incident in the final minute of a game when you are 3-0 down? Bizarre.
The red card I got in the final few minutes for deliberate handball at 6-0 down in my Yarm Town Boys' days back in the early-90s springs to mind here.

And they scored the resulting penalty. A 7-0 defeat, two game suspension across school/TJFA games and an £8 fine... :lol:

Post Reply