Darlington V Guiseley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Guiseley

Post by poppyfield » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:22 pm

After the Southport game where should we be in terms of selection, players on the bench that night were, Lambert, Nelson, Purver, Rose and Mondal.
Hopefully Ellis is fit and can start, Charman not sure if we are appealing the red card or if the suspension starts immediately, if we can play him he should start, if not Nelson should replace him.
I would also start Lambert in for Dos Santos, not that KDS has played badly its just the quality Lambert brings to the side. I think Purver has earned a start, in for Wheatley , who seems to be lacking something this season not sure what , imo.
Can't comment on Rose as he hasn't been given a chance, same as Mondal.
We need to mix things up a bit on Saturday, and boy do we need a result.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlopartisan

Re: Darlington V Guiseley

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:50 pm

Agree Lambert should start, hopefully Ellis is fit👍

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:56 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:50 pm
Agree Lambert should start, hopefully Ellis is fit👍
According to Alan’s interview both Ellis and Smith will not be fit. Charman is available as his suspension does not begin until after this game.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:19 pm

Ok, so the back four will be the same, but hopefully a different result

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:52 pm

I doubt we'll see too many changes. I'd expect to see Lambert in for KDS (don't think he'll drop Rivers as he does the defensive job as well). Maybe Purver in for Wheatley. Can't change the back 5/Keeper. Would expect the front 2 to be the same if Charman is out after tomorrow. Wouldn't change the formation, stick with 4-4-2. But they are likely to have many players out, so we really should be winning

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:24 pm

Reposting from a duplicate thread.

Going to have to be a good result and performance tomorrow following the dire showing mid week. Cant really say much about midweek that hasn't been said already, so the players owe the fans, not only a good result but the type of commanding performance that goes with it to show we can push on and have a good season.

On paper Guiseley look in a world in trouble, key attacking players out injured other players suspended. All added to a midweek covid out break. We can't let them just sit in and frustrate us. An early goal will be key make them have to come out and play and give ourselves a chance to play on the front foot.

Question is what does Armstrong change? Is it a change of system we require or is it key personnel under performing or a bit of both. In addition the continued come back from injury of both Smith and Ellis means we can't really make changes where they're most needed, in defence. I'd be tempted to change shape back to the 4-3-3 that played so well in the win Vs Brackley. That day having Purver as the extra midfielder let us control the ball and the game, and allowed Hatfield to push on and offer a goal threat behind the front 3. Who makes up the front 3 is probably the only other question, I'd be tempted to save Nelson as a sub he's likely to have to play a big part in the next 3 with Charman suspended so wouldn't be great him getting injured at the start of that run. I dont see much difference between Rivers and Dos Santos atm, both have missed key chances in recent games and both have provided goal contributions. Have edged for Dos Santos due to the goal against Leamington. Arguably could play Lambert as the 3rd CM and make Hatfield sit deeper if you think we're going to have enough of the ball.

--------------------- Taylor ---------------------
Griffiths --- Cooper --- Storey --- Hedley
-------- Purver --- Hatfield --- Wheatley ---
---- Charman --- Cassidy --- Dos Santos - -

Subs: Rivers, Rose, Lambert, Mondal, Nelson

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:50 pm

Poppyfield is right about Wheatley - just not the star player from last season & I can't imagine why that should be. AA claims he will change things so swap Wheatley for Lambert, Cassidy for Nelson, KDS for Rivers in JE93's line-up & could be close to start XI. AA does need to sharpen up on elective sub choice, too often he leaves it too long before bringing on his subs IMO.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:12 pm

jjljks wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:50 pm
Poppyfield is right about Wheatley - just not the star player from last season & I can't imagine why that should be. AA claims he will change things so swap Wheatley for Lambert, Cassidy for Nelson, KDS for Rivers in JE93's line-up & could be close to start XI. AA does need to sharpen up on elective sub choice, too often he leaves it too long before bringing on his subs IMO.
Wheatley could be suffering from a lack of confidence in his centre backs. He looked loads better when Ellis was playing. With Cooper and storey not being solid and lacking confidence / communication this may show in Wheatley’s game

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:47 am

My team selection would be 4 4 2,
Taylor,
Griffiths Cooper Storey Hedley,
Rivers Purver Hatfield Lambert,
Cassidy Charman.
I would like to see Rose play, can't see the point of bringing an experienced attacking midfielder who's played nearly 500 games in leagues above us and not even come off the bench.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:31 am

MB86DFC wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:12 pm
jjljks wrote:
Wheatley could be suffering from a lack of confidence in his centre backs. He looked loads better when Ellis was playing. With Cooper and storey not being solid and lacking confidence / communication this may show in Wheatley’s game
Agreed, in fact whole team looks better with Ellis in. Perhaps today with a wet pitch we may see the old Wheatley back with sliding challenges.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:34 am

jjljks wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:31 am
MB86DFC wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Agreed, in fact whole team looks better with Ellis in.
Wheatley looks like he's injured as he seems to stiffen towards the end of the game when he's running. Wouldn't surprise me if he had a hernia or something like that. Not sure if he's suffered from something like that before and played through it

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:38 am

jjljks wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:31 am
MB86DFC wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Agreed, in fact whole team looks better with Ellis in. Perhaps today with a wet pitch we may see the old Wheatley back with sliding challenges.
I hope not. His sliding tackles always worry me.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

bga

Post by bga » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:47 am

poppyfield wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:47 am
My team selection would be 4 4 2,
Taylor,
Griffiths Cooper Storey Hedley,
Rivers Purver Hatfield Lambert,
Cassidy Charman.
I would like to see Rose play, can't see the point of bringing an experienced attacking midfielder who's played nearly 500 games in leagues above us and not even come off the bench.
Totally agree about Rose but I guess if his loan is not going to be extended beyond next week what would be the point? I don't understand why he has not featured at all even off the bench.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:16 pm

Guiseley announce 6 new signings just before the game. 4 out of the 6 academy graduates and only 1 of them above the age of 18. They're without 15 squad members today due to injury. We really really need to be putting them to the sword today.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:36 pm

Team news here. So no Charman for 4 games as is injured. Got to be honest I will be happy with a one nil win today, we don't look full of goals with that line up. Please prove me wrong!

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/darling ... -updates-1

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:11 pm

1 up Lambert, a well taken goal

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:04 pm

5-1 it finished, five different scorers. Sounds like Lambert played well.

Now very solidly in mid table, which seems about right tbh.

Interesting that Blyth are now third bottom

bga

Post by bga » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:12 pm

As I said above glad to be proved wrong! Pleased especially forLambert I have only seen him once but his cameo 15 mins or so at Chorley he seemed to offer something different. Well done to all gard work has paid off.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:30 pm

Let’s hope the scoring success encourages for the coming weeks. Gloucester excepted, the remaining 2021 fixtures are clearly going to be a tad tougher.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:41 pm

We played against 11 very young players today. Don't get the impression all is good just because 5 goals were scored. We were at best very average today. The team will have to change week to week until all the players are fit and without card bans.
I do think that once all the players alun wants as first team players are up and running we will do well. But at this present time I have doubts about how we will do.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:00 pm

Did what we needed to do today against a team of kids but didn’t tell us anything about our team. Except maybe that Lambert and Purver have to start, thought both did well. Mondal to be fair took his goal very well too.
On a different note, why don’t the club simply tell the truth about Ellis, just be transparent. Heard different versions today ranging from injured, holiday, about to sign elsewhere?
One that I probably find most believable is that we knew he was away for 4 games when we signed him, which was why it was non contract to begin with but now another club is interested?
Who knows, but communication in general about players, injuries etc is sometimes not great.
Guess we will know if he,s back next game!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:10 pm

I know we were playing an under strength Guiesley team but at least we took advantage and scored 5 goals. Don’t know why they did not try to get the game postponed if they had 15 players unavailable for selection. Presumably Covid was responsible for much of this.
Looks like next weeks opponents Kettering are also struggling with Covid so wonder if that game will go ahead.
With regard to Ellis it is strange that no information has been forthcoming about his injury. If he is unavailable due to other commitments then please tell us the truth. I hope that the club are not withholding information from the supporters over this because it won’t look good if they are. The absence of information is bound to lead to fans speculating about what is going on.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:13 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Did what we needed to do today against a team of kids but didn’t tell us anything about our team. Except maybe that Lambert and Purver have to start, thought both did well. Mondal to be fair took his goal very well too.
On a different note, why don’t the club simply tell the truth about Ellis, just be transparent. Heard different versions today ranging from injured, holiday, about to sign elsewhere?
One that I probably find most believable is that we knew he was away for 4 games when we signed him, which was why it was non contract to begin with but now another club is interested?
Who knows, but communication in general about players, injuries etc is sometimes not great.
The club have said Danny Ellis is missing with injury. What makes you think that's not telling the truth, other than a desire to listen to the gossip you've been hearing?

If you know for a fact that's not true then fair enough, but accusing the club of being dishonest just because you've heard rumours is unfair. If he's injured why would they say anything else?

He could be injured and has therefore decided to take a holiday while he's unavailable. That's not really anyone's business though, so why would the club report it?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:52 pm

Thought there keeper had a good game for a 17 yr old even if he did ship 5

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:02 pm

Spyman wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:13 pm
Quakerlad wrote:Did what we needed to do today against a team of kids but didn’t tell us anything about our team. Except maybe that Lambert and Purver have to start, thought both did well. Mondal to be fair took his goal very well too.
The club have said Danny Ellis is missing with injury. What makes you think that's not telling the truth, other than a desire to listen to the gossip you've been hearing?

If you know for a fact that's not true then fair enough, but accusing the club of being dishonest just because you've heard rumours is unfair. If he's injured why would they say anything else?

He could be injured and has therefore decided to take a holiday while he's unavailable. That's not really anyone's business though, so why would the club report it?

Fair comment, badly worded , I’m not accusing of being dishonest but many people today were asking exactly the same question. They are not good at moment at updating the fans on things like injuries, contract situations etc .
Not once to my knowledge have they said what was wrong with Ellis, when did he get injured, how long likely to be out etc, he basically just suddenly did not play. The Echo this morning said he was unavailable yet said others were injured.
Just saying that communication could be better, but hey let’s celebrate a 5-1 victory ey.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:42 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:00 pm
Did what we needed to do today against a team of kids but didn’t tell us anything about our team. Except maybe that Lambert and Purver have to start, thought both did well. Mondal to be fair took his goal very well too.
[/quote

Is Ellis Contracted or non contracted dont think the club have ever revealed that have they?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:59 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:10 pm
Don’t know why they did not try to get the game postponed if they had 15 players unavailable for selection. Presumably Covid was responsible for much of this.
They also had some crucial suspensions that are now spent as a result of playing today in advance if their big FA Cup game next weekend.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:00 pm

darlo reborn wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:52 pm
Absolutely with 3 top class saves at full length, he had a great game considering the ad hoc defence in front of him.
TBF Guiseley could have had a couple of goals, but we stayed calm & played some good football at times, especially when we kept the ball on the deck.
Thought a few people passed the ball too many times instead of shooting, but in the end the goals were evenly spread & a couple were 1st class. The lads like Lambert, Purver & Rose made the most of their selection and hope they get another chance.
Just for once, the match officials did do their jobs well & kept the game flowing.
All in all, under blue skies & blinding sun, it was an afternoon for the 1202 faithful to savour.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:33 pm

darlo reborn wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:52 pm
I didn’t know he was only 17, got to say his distribution was excellent, even under pressure from our forwards , he made a few decent first time passes too his wide players

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:12 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:13 pm

Fair comment, badly worded , I’m not accusing of being dishonest but many people today were asking exactly the same question. They are not good at moment at updating the fans on things like injuries, contract situations etc .
Not once to my knowledge have they said what was wrong with Ellis, when did he get injured, how long likely to be out etc, he basically just suddenly did not play. The Echo this morning said he was unavailable yet said others were injured.
Just saying that communication could be better, but hey let’s celebrate a 5-1 victory ey.

That's the Echo, not DFC. DFC said in an article on its website that Ellis is injured. Maybe they could tell us what exactly he's injured, but does it matter?

It was also confirmed in an interview with Ellis published on the DFC website that he'd signed on non contract terms and was hoping to earn a contract, so again, completely transparent from the club.

If other teams are looking at him, that's not really for the club to comment on, just as him going on holiday isn't for the club to comment on. They'd only be fuelling rumours and speculation by doing so.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC