FA Cup Reflections

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

FA Cup Reflections

Post by Old Git » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:58 am

Always enjoy the FA Cup 1st Round when the Non Leaguers get to have a crack at their EFL counterparts. Sadly this year we have not made it but this stage of the competition brings back some great memories of the last 2 seasons.
The away game at Walsall in 2019 was really special with Joe Wheatley’s injury time equaliser that sent our massive away following crazy. Not sure what happened but I think that I ended up about 3 rows further down the seats after he scored than when the free kick came in. Don’t forget we really should have won that game being the better side for 80 minutes, leading 1-0 and them going down to 10 men.
The win last season was an even better result, winning 2-1 away at League 1 Swindon. Of course none of us were there to witness it so we do not have the same memories watching on TV. I think perhaps we did not get the credit we deserved for that victory because it was played behind closed doors. Even given the fact that Swindon were struggling, they were 3 leagues above us at the time. It was a similar sort of achievement as Poolie going to Newcastle and beating them which would be incredible, even though the Geordies are so poor.
This year we will simply have to stand back and watch with interest as no doubt some of our Non League colleagues pull off shock results. Good luck to them and let’s hope we will be back next season in Round 1.

H1987

Re: FA Cup Reflections

Post by H1987 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:10 pm

Last year is just weird to me. It barely registers in my memories. I was grateful of something to watch, and I watched more non-Darlo football than ever before during the pandemic (or at least since I was a kid anyway), but… I don’t have any fond memories of our cup run really. It’s not just not being there, it’s the empty stadiums. Felt really cold and it’s something I hope never happens again.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:51 pm

When it comes to Darlo and the F.A. cup to me it conjures up visions of Conlon's missed penalty against Peterborough.

For those who were lucky enough to have missed it, what happened was this - it was at Feethams under the floodlights, the winner of the tie would end up playing Newcastle at home (Shearer and Co) - Conlon lent back as he took the penalty at the Polam hall end and skied it, the ball hit a metal terracing barrier and went upwards, never to be seen again :crazy:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:13 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:51 pm
When it comes to Darlo and the F.A. cup to me it conjures up visions of Conlon's missed penalty against Peterborough.

For those who were lucky enough to have missed it, what happened was this - it was at Feethams under the floodlights, the winner of the tie would end up playing Newcastle at home (Shearer and Co) - Conlon lent back as he took the penalty at the Polam hall end and skied it, the ball hit a metal terracing barrier and went upwards, never to be seen again :crazy:
The best-worst penalty I ever witnessed was at a Boro match v Millwall way back in the day.
John Hickton took it at the Holgate end and it actually went for a throw in to Millwall.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:37 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:51 pm

I remember that well, lost the bloody replay at Peterborough! A year after that was the infamous Farnborough match in the last season at Feethams. They turned us over 3-2 and drew Arsenal at home in the next round but got it moved to Highbury!

I often wonder would our future have been much different with the money from these two potential home ties. Then again with who was in charge perhaps not!