Chester Away

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

My opinion
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Chester Away

Post by My opinion » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:47 pm

I don't necessarily agree with that. The two outstanding team in this league are clearly Fylde and Brackley. But even they have dropped unexpected points. Who ever can get a bit of consistency will challenge. It could be us, Chester or anyone.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:55 pm

Great afternoon huge support and so comfortable til they scored. First time I've seen bother after a game in ages. Funny how their young scallies didn't go near the coaches but picked on those walking. Listening to their lads they were impressed with how game Darlos lads were!

Bernie Rhodes knows

Post by Bernie Rhodes knows » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:40 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:55 pm
Great afternoon huge support and so comfortable til they scored. First time I've seen bother after a game in ages. Funny how their young scallies didn't go near the coaches but picked on those walking. Listening to their lads they were impressed with how game Darlos lads were!
The older ones might remember how they got turfed out of the West Stand at Feethams back in the 80’s twice in the space of a couple of weeks 😉

wellingaway

Post by wellingaway » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:09 pm

We were absolutely mugged today. Controlled the game from minute 1 to minute 86 and snuffed out all they had to offer. They were out of ideas and lumped it forward and got lucky twice in the dying minutes. Absolute travesty of a score.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:58 pm

We seemed to have sorted out the problems of switching off at the back at critical times but it returned today just when we should have had it won comfortably. Shame because after the own goal early on last week the defence was rock solid and saw out the game superbly well.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:02 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:26 pm
Maybe just about fair in the end and on the evidence so far this season us and Chester will finish the season fairly close together in the table, maybe around mid-table which is probably OK after the major rebuild.

Anthony Johnson fully expected a point with ten minutes to go....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXUnRY1VaaU
His other telling comment is about half way through "the way they (Darlo) mark (at corners) will always give a chance to anyone running in"
AA needs to get that sorted. At least the team gave travelling fans a good show for 85mins, shame to chuck away 2 points in last 5😬

bga

Post by bga » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:26 am

wellingaway wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:09 pm
We were absolutely mugged today. Controlled the game from minute 1 to minute 86 and snuffed out all they had to offer. They were out of ideas and lumped it forward and got lucky twice in the dying minutes. Absolute travesty of a score.
Disagree they "lumped it forward" they went down the flanks and outplayed us for 6 mins simple as that. Shame one of the smallest players on the field (mind they were all small) scored from a header if I recall in those last mad 6 mins.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:33 am

jjljks wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:02 am
LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:26 pm
Maybe just about fair in the end and on the evidence so far this season us and Chester will finish the season fairly close together in the table, maybe around mid-table which is probably OK after the major rebuild.

Anthony Johnson fully expected a point with ten minutes to go....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXUnRY1VaaU
His other telling comment is about half way through "the way they (Darlo) mark (at corners) will always give a chance to anyone running in"
AA needs to get that sorted. At least the team gave travelling fans a good show for 85mins, shame to chuck away 2 points in last 5😬
Can't say I have much tactical knowledge of the game, so if AJ has spotted something we do or don't do when we defend corners, free kicks and the like, what is it we should be doing ? The only thing I notice when we are defending corners etc. Is we tend to mark there players running which ever way, instead of watching/attacking the incoming ball.
So anyone got the knowledge of how we should be go be going about it?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:39 am

Two of the three Southport goals were free headers as was Chorley's late winner (that goal was someone running in as Johnson describes) and, of course, two headers, two goals yesterday. Maybe that will be addressed when, as seems likely, Ellis is playing alongside Lawlor.

I do feel a bit sorry for Storey in all of this. He had been improving game on game and I thought was very unlucky to be dropped yesterday after being extremely solid against Kettering. You'd normally be rewarded for good performances by staying in the team. He was replaced by a player who had not played any competitive football for a long period of time.

The positive side of this is that's there's now fierce competition for places in the side. It does seem as though there will now never be a place for Brandon Taylor or Beeden in the side, whatever the circumstances with availability and injuries.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:02 pm

How we didn’t win that game yesterday, I do not know. Dominated the game for 84 minutes and if Griffiths had buried that 1 on 1 at 2-0, it was game over.

Just knew soon as they got that 1st goal, it was always ending up 2-2. Just come out of nowhere, nobody expected it. Shell shocked.

Another note, what a superb away following of about 350 Quakers. The atmosphere was class, none stop backing for the lads :clap:

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Chester Away

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:32 pm

What fantastic performance and support.

Gutted with the draw in the end but playing as well as we did bodes well for the rest of the season.

Saw a bit of trouble at the end, as has been said didnt go for the lads on the coach as they would have got mullered.

The Chester fans involved will be bragging at school Monday.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:48 am

Just watched highlights and Chester had chances too but nearly every single one came from a cross into our box! If only we could defend crosses we would be in play off positions no doubt. Wish I knew the answer as we had two 6’3” centre half’s and still couldn’t defend them. Is it the full backs stopping them, the goalkeeper dominating the 6yard box, our marking system? Probably a combination of all those things.
On a positive though, we seemed to play some lovely flowing football with Lambert again at the centre of our creativity. What a difference he has made. Thought Rose looked the part too.
Imagine the problem of how to fit likes of Charmen, Ellis, Nelson into the team......

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:56 am

Their goalkeeper was terrible. He may have stopped a couple of one-on-ones that we hit straight at him but he was all over the place for the corner we scored from and the second goal he just handed to us on a plate after a weak shot from Griffiths. It looked like an open, exciting game with plenty of chances at both ends. Could have been about 5-5.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:02 am

From the highlights it looked like a decent game and we played some good football at times. Our second goal was a thing of beauty, moving the ball from almost our own byline up the pitch incisively to finish with a Cassidy tap in. Their keeper did his bit for us with a weak save from Griffiths’s shot mind you.
Again disappointing to concede 2 headed goals which could have been defended better. If we have a player on the far post they would not have scored their first goal from the corner. Looks like both Taylor and Griffiths should have done better on the second goal. Between them they have allowed a small striker to get a header in on from the edge of the six yard box. I like Tommy Taylor but he really has to be taking charge of crosses 6 yards from goal in a central area. Surely he should be able to punch the ball away even if he is unable to take a clean catch.
Hope we are doing plenty of work on defending crosses in training this week because it really has been our Achilles heel this season. I know some people are lobbying to outlaw heading in the game but perhaps we need to remind our defenders it is still allowed at present.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:26 am

Old Git wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:02 am
From the highlights it looked like a decent game and we played some good football at times. Our second goal was a thing of beauty, moving the ball from almost our own byline up the pitch incisively to finish with a Cassidy tap in. Their keeper did his bit for us with a weak save from Griffiths’s shot mind you.
Again disappointing to concede 2 headed goals which could have been defended better. If we have a player on the far post they would not have scored their first goal from the corner. Looks like both Taylor and Griffiths should have done better on the second goal. Between them they have allowed a small striker to get a header in on from the edge of the six yard box. I like Tommy Taylor but he really has to be taking charge of crosses 6 yards from goal in a central area. Surely he should be able to punch the ball away even if he is unable to take a clean catch.
Hope we are doing plenty of work on defending crosses in training this week because it really has been our Achilles heel this season. I know some people are lobbying to outlaw heading in the game but perhaps we need to remind our defenders it is still allowed at present.
In the interest of fairness and balance probably a good idea to have our forwards practicing some one on ones with the keeper as well.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:02 am

Lambert showed glimpses last time he was here, but so far in this spell he's turning in consistently excellent performances. Having watched the highlights he again seemed to be the one with that quality to create chances. It'll be interesting to see what Armstrong does when Charman is back, as Lambert has excelled playing in that role off of Cassidy. Will Lambert out wide (the obvious switch to me at least) be as effective?

Disappointing goals to concede, but, unlike earlier in the season, I feel confident in the personnel we have available that we can turn out a functioning defence. Hopefully just a 10 min blip

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:05 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:48 am
Just watched highlights and Chester had chances too but nearly every single one came from a cross into our box! If only we could defend crosses we would be in play off positions no doubt. Wish I knew the answer as we had two 6’3” centre half’s and still couldn’t defend them. Is it the full backs stopping them, the goalkeeper dominating the 6yard box, our marking system? Probably a combination of all those things.
On a positive though, we seemed to play some lovely flowing football with Lambert again at the centre of our creativity. What a difference he has made. Thought Rose looked the part too.
Imagine the problem of how to fit likes of Charmen, Ellis, Nelson into the team......
I agree with the generally upbeat nature of this post but I think you're being ironic with your last sentence - I wonder if Nelson will ever be fit enough to trouble our selectors and Ellis looks like a player who could spend more time in the treatment room than on the pitch. Have we taken a gamble with these two ? :sick:

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:24 am

al_quaker wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:02 am
Lambert showed glimpses last time he was here, but so far in this spell he's turning in consistently excellent performances. Having watched the highlights he again seemed to be the one with that quality to create chances. It'll be interesting to see what Armstrong does when Charman is back, as Lambert has excelled playing in that role off of Cassidy. Will Lambert out wide (the obvious switch to me at least) be as effective?

Disappointing goals to concede, but, unlike earlier in the season, I feel confident in the personnel we have available that we can turn out a functioning defence. Hopefully just a 10 min blip
Lambert played out wide against Kettering and it worked well, which is good that he is flexible to play a few forward positions.

Even though we did lose the two goal lead on Saturday, I came away thinking we have the makings of a squad that could actually start challenging this season for maybe a play off place, when previously I didn't think we had enough. Ellis, Lawlor, Cooper & Storey give us enough at CB and Smith was taking full part in pre game training on Sat, who I think is a very solid left back.

Be nice to have Wheatley, Ellis, Smith, Purver, Charman, & Nelson all back and available.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:49 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:24 am
al_quaker wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:02 am

Lambert played out wide against Kettering and it worked well, which is good that he is flexible to play a few forward positions.

Even though we did lose the two goal lead on Saturday, I came away thinking we have the makings of a squad that could actually start challenging this season for maybe a play off place, when previously I didn't think we had enough. Ellis, Lawlor, Cooper & Storey give us enough at CB and Smith was taking full part in pre game training on Sat, who I think is a very solid left back.

Be nice to have Wheatley, Ellis, Smith, Purver, Charman, & Nelson all back and available.
Agreed about the competitiveness of the team - it was a slow and shaky start, but we've come on leaps and bounds since then. Is it enough to challenge for a playoff place? The next few months will gives us some idea about that as we have some tough fixtures coming up.

Great news about Smith who like you say is very solid.

Rio Doherty
Team Supported: Chester FC

Post by Rio Doherty » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:56 pm

Here is my match review from last Saturday’s game - feel free to watch if you wish:
https://youtu.be/ZZ8SkoQ_ZMQ
Hope you enjoyed it and best of luck to you for the rest of the season.