Blyth Spartans

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blyth Spartans

Post by jjljks » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:54 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:11 am
jjljks wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:03 am
LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:46 pm
jjljks wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:18 pm
Campbell scored for 'Heid at Spenny today, so he is still doing us proud.
Tommy Miller looks nailed on to be the next managerial casualty.
Lucky that Solskjaer has just become available!
So has Steve Watson. Perhaps a tad more realistic even if Uncle Brad does have deep pockets.
Good point, perhaps Steve Bruce or Neil Warnock would be cheaper :lol:

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:25 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:33 pm
Old Git wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:17 am
I was very much in agreement with Ghost of1883 at the time over the players that left us in the summer and nothing since has changed my mind. I disagree about Campbell getting in to current first team. Who would he replace?
Not as good out wide as Rivers or de Santos and certainly not as good as Charman or Cassidy in a central role. We also have Lambert as a creative advanced midfielder/attacker. At best he would have to settle for a place on the bench,possibly at the expense of Mondal.
Our current squad is an improvement on last season as long as we can defend our box better and with Cooper Ellis and Lawlor now in the squad that should happen.
Yep.

Although we lost a class act in Sousa, and arguably a decent player in Campbell, I think the likes of Ellis and Cooper are a upgrade on the central defenders last season, Smith is an upgrade on Liddle, Purver an upgrade on Reid, Taylor an upgrade on Saltmer, Griffiths an upgrade on the aging McMahon, Dos Santos more than holds his own in the Sousa role, Lambert and Cassidy offer new dimensions.

It's a shame we've rarely been able to play our strongest team due to injuries to the likes of Smith, Griffiths, Nelson at different points.
Pretty much agree with this.

Sousa is an irreplaceable loss at this level and Campbell I feel is still a loss. KDS has moments but is still to prove consistency.

Taylor is a massive upgrade at keeper, I have no worries like I have for 3/4 seasons.
Griffiths is better than McMahon, and is just starting to prove that after battling injuries earlier in the season#
Smith is a good defender and also good at getting forward
Ellis/Cooper/Lawlor - We've eventually got better CB's then we had last season
Purver/Rose - both neat and tidy, but could do with a Hatfield next to them
KDS - as above
Cassidy does the dirty work well and compliments Charman so much more than Maguire did

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:48 am

D_F_C wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:25 pm
Taylor is a massive upgrade at keeper, I have no worries like I have for 3/4 seasons.
I would agree with this but he can be a bit hot headed. An eccentric/vocal/involved goal keeper is a good thing but you need to keep a cool head sometimes too. At times, in the second half of Saturday's game he got a bit carried away, and if the ref had had better hearing he could have possibly been sent off :shock:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!