Darlo v Gloucester

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6413
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by loan_star » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:56 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:30 pm

I left the house at 6am and got home at 1am on Wednesday for £60 match fee...or £34.80 after tax and national insurance...
For night game? Takes you 3 hours to get home but you set off at 6am?
Plus you will get travelling expenses which more than cover your costs and them some! If it’s anything like Sunday league travelling expenses you will do quite nicely out of that

lo36789
Posts: 9563
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:06 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:48 pm
So a high arm used for leverage which makes contact with an opponents face (I’m assuming you’ve seen both stills) is still a foul, I’m assuming you still agree with that. Again, because you only seem to read certain parts of posts, I’m not saying whether it was a red or yellow, but to give a free kick to Gloucester?
Yeh agree. That seems implausible based on stills.

The point is to endanger safety there needs to be force. An arm just existing doesn't endanger anything.

To be red it will need to be swung with force.

lo36789
Posts: 9563
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:14 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:56 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:30 pm

I left the house at 6am and got home at 1am on Wednesday for £60 match fee...or £34.80 after tax and national insurance...
For night game? Takes you 3 hours to get home but you set off at 6am?
Plus you will get travelling expenses which more than cover your costs and them some! If it’s anything like Sunday league travelling expenses you will do quite nicely out of that
Appointed on the Monday to a game in Birmingham. 19:30 KO.

Due to meetings in work so couldn't get out earlier. So travelled down at 6am so I could be in the Birmingham office for 9am to work through to 16:30 and get to ground for 17:30.

After actually putting diesel in the car 34p a mile it isn't a big money spinner like.

M6 shut on way home, as roads tend to be after night games, so took a lot longer to get home.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5151
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:17 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:15 pm
Of course placing the ball in the wrong position isn’t an outburst of dissent, but doing it on several occasions when the referee has told you to take the ball back and either refuses to do so, or clearly moving it back a few inches is. If you don’t think that is and as a referee don’t at the very least talk to him, or in my opinion in this case caution him, you’re not doing your job in controlling the game.

I didn’t say he should have got a red card for the elbow, I said it was more than likely a red would have been given if the ref was watching. You must think he ref got it wrong (will the refs union strike you off for going against them), because you think it’s a yellow.
I agree. I can’t get my head round what lo is saying tbh. If all players continually took no notice of the ref then surely there wouldn’t be a game, or a game worth watching.

Ref “take this free kick after I blow my whistle” players kicks ball immediately. Repeat…
Ref “ players move back ten yards” players move back 1 yard. Repeat…
Ref “ do not cross the half way line when you take this throw” player takes no notice. Repeat…..

In regards to Taylor, I like him and I don’t want to see him booked. I think his disobedience was his way of letting off steam and showing his frustration with the appalling referee, a kind of ‘up yours’
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6413
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by loan_star » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:18 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:14 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:56 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:30 pm

I left the house at 6am and got home at 1am on Wednesday for £60 match fee...or £34.80 after tax and national insurance...
For night game? Takes you 3 hours to get home but you set off at 6am?
Plus you will get travelling expenses which more than cover your costs and them some! If it’s anything like Sunday league travelling expenses you will do quite nicely out of that
Appointed on the Monday to a game in Birmingham. 19:30 KO.

Due to meetings in work so couldn't get out earlier. So travelled down at 6am so I could be in the Birmingham office for 9am to work through to 16:30 and get to ground for 17:30.

After actually putting diesel in the car 34p a mile it isn't a big money spinner like.

M6 shut on way home, as roads tend to be after night games, so took a lot longer to get home.
So you didn’t leave home at 6am for a £60 match fee, you did a full days work and then got a match fee and expenses. Not quite the hard life your original post made it sound like.

lo36789
Posts: 9563
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:23 pm

Managing restarts from distance is the problem. If it's an issue get close and manage them actively. If it's a repeat issue get in place the ball, stand on a free kick.

Get your fourth to stand in the way on a throw in so they can't go further.

The reality is these things are told not to make a fuss out of them as it's not what managers and players want. Fussing over yards on free kicks that are going to be pumped forward is pointless just get the game restarted asap.

lo36789
Posts: 9563
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:24 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:18 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:14 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:56 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:30 pm

I left the house at 6am and got home at 1am on Wednesday for £60 match fee...or £34.80 after tax and national insurance...
For night game? Takes you 3 hours to get home but you set off at 6am?
Plus you will get travelling expenses which more than cover your costs and them some! If it’s anything like Sunday league travelling expenses you will do quite nicely out of that
Appointed on the Monday to a game in Birmingham. 19:30 KO.

Due to meetings in work so couldn't get out earlier. So travelled down at 6am so I could be in the Birmingham office for 9am to work through to 16:30 and get to ground for 17:30.

After actually putting diesel in the car 34p a mile it isn't a big money spinner like.

M6 shut on way home, as roads tend to be after night games, so took a lot longer to get home.
So you didn’t leave home at 6am for a £60 match fee, you did a full days work and then got a match fee and expenses. Not quite the hard life your original post made it sound like.
Well I wouldn't have left at 6AM if I wasn't.

I'd have instead lost half a day of work and left at 2PM...

Point is. They keep trying to get ex pro's to do it and they all have the same answer "no way, not worth it".

30-40% down on affiliations this season across the country. Losing more and more each week. In Liverpool they have scheduled one division to be off each week off and even then they can't cover the games.

To the point there is a sellers market - offers of £100+ to cover Sunday league games these days...but they aren't worth the hassle for that.

I understand there are similar issues in London and West Riding as well. I think one league introduced a appoint your own system as they knew the trouble clubs wouldnt be able to find anyone.

The point is...numbers are down...no one wants to do it. It's not worth doing. If the thought is quality is suffering...well maybe that is symptomatic of years of the behaviour of predominantly those in the amateur game as ultimately that is where all refs start from.

Vokuhila
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlo

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by Vokuhila » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:39 pm

I can't really comment on what he was up to in the second half, but Nugent's s***housery in the first half was next level - and fair play to him if he can get away with it.

Just to put the elbow incident in context, Cassidy had (allegedly) caught him in the face when they'd gone up for a header together earlier [he dropped to the floor clutching his face, lay there face down until nothing was given, then jumped up and immediately berated the officials, before grabbing his chin and doing one of those exaggerated jaw wobbles - you know the drill]. He might've been looking at the ball, but he clearly knew Cassidy was there and just swung round and smashed him with a Chiellini-style reducer. I haven't seen any stills, but I doubt they'd do it justice.

I'm a Darlo fan, but seeing it live I can objectively say that I immediately thought it was a red.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5151
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:40 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:23 pm
Managing restarts from distance is the problem. If it's an issue get close and manage them actively. If it's a repeat issue get in place the ball, stand on a free kick.

Get your fourth to stand in the way on a throw in so they can't go further.

The reality is these things are told not to make a fuss out of them as it's not what managers and players want. Fussing over yards on free kicks that are going to be pumped forward is pointless just get the game restarted asap.
Lo, please don’t think I’m picking on you but with the Taylor incident the Ref did make a fuss. He came running in fast and hard and rightly told Taylor to move the ball back. So now he’s done that, he is still reasonably close and watches Taylor take no notice.

I mean if it doesn’t matter, don’t make a big deal about where the ball is. If it does matter then make sure your orders are listened to and acted on. It seemed to me it was a battle of wills, Taylor wanted to make the ref look ineffectual, and he did, and he was.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6413
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by loan_star » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:45 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:24 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:18 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:14 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:56 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:30 pm

I left the house at 6am and got home at 1am on Wednesday for £60 match fee...or £34.80 after tax and national insurance...
For night game? Takes you 3 hours to get home but you set off at 6am?
Plus you will get travelling expenses which more than cover your costs and them some! If it’s anything like Sunday league travelling expenses you will do quite nicely out of that

Appointed on the Monday to a game in Birmingham. 19:30 KO.

Due to meetings in work so couldn't get out earlier. So travelled down at 6am so I could be in the Birmingham office for 9am to work through to 16:30 and get to ground for 17:30.

After actually putting diesel in the car 34p a mile it isn't a big money spinner like.

M6 shut on way home, as roads tend to be after night games, so took a lot longer to get home.
So you didn’t leave home at 6am for a £60 match fee, you did a full days work and then got a match fee and expenses. Not quite the hard life your original post made it sound like.
Well I wouldn't have left at 6AM if I wasn't.

I'd have instead lost half a day of work and left at 2PM...

Point is. They keep trying to get ex pro's to do it and they all have the same answer "no way, not worth it".

30-40% down on affiliations this season across the country. Losing more and more each week. In Liverpool they have scheduled one division to be off each week off and even then they can't cover the games.

To the point there is a sellers market - offers of £100+ to cover Sunday league games these days...but they aren't worth the hassle for that.

I understand there are similar issues in London and West Riding as well. I think one league introduced a appoint your own system as they knew the trouble clubs wouldnt be able to find anyone.

The point is...numbers are down...no one wants to do it. It's not worth doing. If the thought is quality is suffering...well maybe that is symptomatic of years of the behaviour of predominantly those in the amateur game as ultimately that is where all refs start from.
Yes numbers are down but then you look at how much the FA charge to qualify and think nah I’m not paying that. Plus from what I understand they have put other things in place that makes it more difficult for already qualified refs to continue. A long standing ref who I know, ex league linesman, said even he considered packing in because the FA, not the teams, were making it more difficult.

lo36789
Posts: 9563
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:01 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:45 pm
Yes numbers are down but then you look at how much the FA charge to qualify and think nah I’m not paying that. Plus from what I understand they have put other things in place that makes it more difficult for already qualified refs to continue. A long standing ref who I know, ex league linesman, said even he considered packing in because the FA, not the teams, were making it more difficult.
Possibly. Except 50% quit in their first season I think it hits 80% by season two - the primary reason being abuse and actually funny enough lack of support from FA when it is reported.

The pinch has come with 2 years of being unable to do the courses. So the covid impact has had an obvious impact basically there aren't as many lambs to slaughter at the moment.

12 months ban is generally the max for assault of a match official and they are usually back playing under another name a week later regardless.

I mean you have to be CRB checked if doing kids games - and I don't think they accept cheques anymore but all in all affiliation takes about 20/30 seconds it is basically just purchasing something online.

lo36789
Posts: 9563
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:13 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:40 pm
Lo, please don’t think I’m picking on you but with the Taylor incident the Ref did make a fuss. He came running in fast and hard and rightly told Taylor to move the ball back. So now he’s done that, he is still reasonably close and watches Taylor take no notice.

I mean if it doesn’t matter, don’t make a big deal about where the ball is. If it does matter then make sure your orders are listened to and acted on. It seemed to me it was a battle of wills, Taylor wanted to make the ref look ineffectual, and he did, and he was.
Which is simply bad management - doesn't make it a cautionable offence.

If he's an arse caution him the next time he doesn't something where you can warrant it and be correct in law. If he is slow on the next goal kick or shouts something after a decision do it then.

FWIW I am not saying what he did was right or even done well. I am just saying what you described isn't a mandatory caution.

Darlo_Rob
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:53 pm

But what you haven’t addressed is Taylor was forcibly told by the referee earlier in the game about the same thing (remonstrating and pointing at the place he should take the kick 3 times). I’ve told you this countless times, but you just ignore that.

lo36789
Posts: 9563
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:30 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:53 pm
But what you haven’t addressed is Taylor was forcibly told by the referee earlier in the game about the same thing (remonstrating and pointing at the place he should take the kick 3 times). I’ve told you this countless times, but you just ignore that.
That is irrelevant. It still isn't an offence. I've said this before. There is still no valid reason to caution.

Throw in takers get told repeatedly where to take throwins - it isn't an offence to try and take it somewhere else.

If a referee asks a player "let him play the ball, let him play the ball" when goalkeeper has it in his hands. If he doesn't move and/or steps in the way of keeper as he clears it the foul is given. It is still just a free kick, the fact he was asked to before hand does not make it a caution.

If he does the same thing again, with the same instruction it might be a caution for persistence, but the infringement is for preventing the goalkeeper releasing the ball was the offence.

There is no such offence as not listening to the referee and what he tells you to do.

You might not like it but the onus is on the referee to find another way to manage the restarts if there is a problem player with them.

Vokuhila
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlo

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by Vokuhila » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:52 pm

Out of interest, lo, how long is a referee's assistant meant to keep her/his flag up for once she/he has flagged for offside?

If it's the free kick I'm thinking of, I thought the issue was that TT was being told to take the ball back, but didn't know where he was meant to be taking it back to, as the assistant had already put his flag down and didn't seem to want to help him out either.

lo36789
Posts: 9563
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:47 am

Vokuhila wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:52 pm
Out of interest, lo, how long is a referee's assistant meant to keep her/his flag up for once she/he has flagged for offside?

If it's the free kick I'm thinking of, I thought the issue was that TT was being told to take the ball back, but didn't know where he was meant to be taking it back to, as the assistant had already put his flag down and didn't seem to want to help him out either.
"Until the ball is placed" usually with defensive stuff if it is there or there abouts just carry on.

If it's within 10 yards usually just let it go from an offside which is in own half.

lo36789
Posts: 9563
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:54 am

Yeh it's a red card - well it looks red, in my opinion, from that angle. AR1 can't help much it is the wrong side of them to see the swing. Ref should have had a decent view but clearly didn't see the extent of it especially to swing the free kick around the other way.

As for the rest. Its not a foul on Lambert in the build up to the goal had it been 10-15 yards deeper or in the defensive corner it would have been given as a safe defensive foul but he falls from his legs when the contact is allegedly upper body. The first penalty appeal can't really see it to comment the defenders body blocks what contact there might have been - it looks incredibly soft though especially under the newer definitions that for a penalty to be awarded there has to be material consequence. The second one doesn't even look like a decision just looks like a crowd have basically come together at most.

Major gripe would be the red card incident the rest are by the by.
Last edited by lo36789 on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeinBlack2
Posts: 1645
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Stockton-on-Tees

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:13 am

Refereeing decisions asside, we wern't as good as we have been of late and a draw was probably a fair result. Boston tomorrow evening, which won't be an easy task but there's no reason to doubt that we can take something from the match. I think our recent form is showing that there's no reason why we can't expect to be a top half club this season and perhaps if we can keep the nucleus of the squad together make an asserted challenge for the play offs next season.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Emdubya
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by Emdubya » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:50 am

Just watched the highlights and got to say it was a great strike for their first goal BUT!!!
Does anyone else think Rivers ducked out the way of it🤔🤔.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5151
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:52 am

MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:13 am
Boston tomorrow evening, which won't be an easy task but there's no reason to doubt that we can take something from the match.
Probably a number of injured players knowing the way they play. :thumbdown:
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1147
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:51 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:14 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:56 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:30 pm

I left the house at 6am and got home at 1am on Wednesday for £60 match fee...or £34.80 after tax and national insurance...
For night game? Takes you 3 hours to get home but you set off at 6am?
Plus you will get travelling expenses which more than cover your costs and them some! If it’s anything like Sunday league travelling expenses you will do quite nicely out of that
Appointed on the Monday to a game in Birmingham. 19:30 KO.

Due to meetings in work so couldn't get out earlier. So travelled down at 6am so I could be in the Birmingham office for 9am to work through to 16:30 and get to ground for 17:30.

After actually putting diesel in the car 34p a mile it isn't a big money spinner like.

M6 shut on way home, as roads tend to be after night games, so took a lot longer to get home.
I will have to defend you on that point.
Most of my travelling is from home to watch KR now. Travelling down 2.5 to 3 hours does it with ease. On the way back after night matches leaving the ground just before 10pm it is regularly 3-4 or even 5am before I get back home, Round the Metro is closed at night until 2025 so I normally go the A68 but even that has regular detours. The last few months I did not even get out of Hull before being detoured over 20 miles round South Cave. Try driving to Beverley and York and the sat nav becomes useless because there are so many overnight works it just can't keep up.
When you add in detours from the Otley turn off on the A1 as far as Boroughbridge over a period of time you simply can't get around them.
I reckon you getting back anywhere inside the M25 in 3 hours makes it an easy journey.

Ps, interested to know the game in Brumagum. Which league at least?

lo36789
Posts: 9563
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:35 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:51 am
, interested to know the game in Brumagum. Which league at least
The league would answer the game tbh only one game at St Andrews last Wednesday haha.

Old Git
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by Old Git » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:42 am

Emdubya wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:50 am
Just watched the highlights and got to say it was a great strike for their first goal BUT!!!
Does anyone else think Rivers ducked out the way of it🤔🤔.
Yes great strike but really a free volley 15 yards from goal off a corner. Words fail me to describe the sheer ineptitude involved in allowing that to happen. Clever play from Gloucester but I bet he couldn’t believe how easy it was to find some much space from a set piece. Brilliant execution but schoolboy defending.
As for the referee he was useless. How could he give a foul against Cassidy when the defender clearly elbowed in the face. The linesman was no better when he flagged for a foul by Cassidy when the defender fell over his own feet. Big shout for a penalty in the last minute for a push on Ellis, not sure about that one but no doubt Cassidy was hauled down in the box before that.
The referee lost the respect of the players because he was so poor and he also didn’t work well with his assistants which all contributed to such an inept performance. He really should be demoted if he can’t do better than his display on Saturday.

al_quaker
Posts: 5800
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by al_quaker » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:15 am

Just watched the highlights - that refereeing performance was even worse than I thought at the time. The Cassidy incident is just mind blowing - he's looking right at it! If he thought it wasn't a red card, I could understand it. There's an element of subjectivity in that. But to give a foul against Cassidy? I try to give refs the benefit of the doubt - maybe he went down easily, maybe it looked a fair challenge from where he was stood etc etc. But that decision I can't possibly think how he's given a free kick to Gloucester. He deserves to be demoted just for that decision, but no doubt we will see him again at Blackwell Meadows this season. Hopefully next time he wont be as weak or inept as he was on Saturday.

JE93
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by JE93 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:26 pm

Can only go by the highlights but my take would be.

Nugent is a lucky boy for the elbow. Clearly thought he got something in the face from Cassidy in an earlier move so decided this was his chance for pay back. Throwing your arm and forearm in an opponents direction like that is clearly dangerous. Will let those who wish to debate the rules as long as they like (re yellow vs red) but it was undeniably a Darlo freekick.

Their first goal, great strike by their lad but agree with the comments above. 1 why is the scorer alone in the box and 2 I think if Rivers stands up it smashes him in the face and stays at 0-0.

Their second goal has to be a foul on Lambert in the build up. The same ref and lino gave a foul against Cassidy first half for the merest touch on Gerring in the first half when we were through 2v1 on their goal. So why shouldn't the same apply here. Again after that it's all on us. Too slow to stop the shot and not reacting fast enough for the ball coming back off the bar.

Think the Cassidy pen shout had to be. Clearly being pulled back as he runs onto it. Made more obvious by the fact he falls backwards rather than forwards as he's brought down.

Our two goals scored. Gerring and Cooper can compare notes on lobbing the keeper with headers. Pleased for Purver getting his goal as he's looking a very solid signing for us. Lambert looked like he caused them all sorts of trouble again. Very glad we got his signaturein a contract.

The Ellis pen shout. No idea. No way to tell from the footage on the highlights its way too far away.

My big frustration with refs as it always has been is lack of transparency. We as fans don't get to see their scores from the Home team, away team and assessor. We don't get any insight from the ref as to why something was or wasn't given. Some will ask what is the point as its all post game and doesn't matter anymore. But atleast it would prove that poor refereeing performances don't go unrecognised. Eg if he were to come out and say he didn't see the elbow incident when there are pictures of him looking right at it, he should get a lower assessment score which slows his progress and forces him to reflect on what he could be doing better if he wants to move up. I'm not looking to vilify referees but I think this never explain policy that currently exists creates a worse environment for them.

lo36789
Posts: 9563
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:52 pm

JE93 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:26 pm
My big frustration with refs as it always has been is lack of transparency. We as fans don't get to see their scores from the Home team, away team and assessor
The reality is this will never happen.

In no area of work are individual performance reviews published to the customers / stakeholders of a business.

The only people where you even get close to their performance goals being published are FTSE 100 directors.

LoidLucan
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:57 pm

Apart from the many thousands of investment fund managers in the UK who are named and whose invesment goals/targets are publicised and then measured against the actual performance of the funds. Very easy to identify the failing ones.

lo36789
Posts: 9563
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:35 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:57 pm
Apart from the many thousands of investment fund managers in the UK who are named and whose investment goals/targets are publicised and then measured against the actual performance of the funds. Very easy to identify the failing ones.
Sound.

When officials are paid the same as fund managers and FTSE 100 CEOs then they should bring parity to that.

Sound fair?

LoidLucan
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:04 pm

I'd settle for putting some of the incompetents we've had this season in the stocks :D

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5151
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:08 pm

Kev needs longer studs ;) he keeps on slipping over.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Post Reply