Boston V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Comfortably_numb
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boston V Darlington

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:13 pm

Into miracle territory now

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 pm

Can’t wait for the 4 minutes of bullshit interview later tonight.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:21 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 pm
Can’t wait for the 4 minutes of bullshit interview later tonight.
“Should have had 4 or 5 before half time”

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:52 pm

Sounds like we set up wrong from the off☹️

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:17 pm

:oops: Anybody want a crystal ball ? I'm picking up that Darlo are a very difficult team to predict and the celestial forces that oversee these things cannot account for it.

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:31 pm

Personally apart from 1st 15 mins i thought we sounded the better team.. Same old things though waiting to go behind before we turn up

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:38 pm

karlo-cardiff wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:31 pm
Personally apart from 1st 15 mins i thought we sounded the better team.. Same old things though waiting to go behind before we turn up

Why did we start so slowly? Is it the player’s fault or is it a management issue?

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:40 pm

JABWootton wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:38 pm
quaker4life wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:21 pm
Wiseacre wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:17 pm
:idea: Just had my crystal football out and I can therefore forecast a 1-0 win for Darlo in classic away style.
Cheers, Pete.

I await your excuses later tonight when we have been beaten by that very scoreline! :!:
I've gone for a 4-2 win for Darlo - No excuses will be needed!
Is that so? :problem:
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:51 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:38 pm
karlo-cardiff wrote:

Why did we start so slowly? Is it the player’s fault or is it a management issue?
Formation issue for me, sounded like we just didn't know roles, positions and responsibilities out of possession and that cost us dear by 10 minutes. Armstrong just needs to hold his hands up tonight and say he got it wrong. Nothing really to take from 13 minutes onwards tbh, they were 2-0 up playing against 10 men. They had us at arms length for most of it, not expended any energy they didn't need to and got a comfortable win.

Very deflated in the manner of that defeat. The 100 odd fans who made the trip are only ones who get much credit from a darlo perspective this evening.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:56 pm

We just can’t defend. Different centre halves, new system, same result.
Watched the goals from Saturday and for the first there wasn’t a Darlo player anywhere near the scorer and the second we just stood still whereas their guy reacted. Don’t know about tonight.
Like Taylor in goal, but at some point he surely has to come for more crosses given how poor we are. Surely he is experienced enough and big enough to more dominant.
Feels like as a team we have progressed but if you take the Guisely result out ( let’s be honest that was a gift) then won 1 from 7.
Until we learn how to defend this will continue.
Surely the pre match interview can’t start with “ well Alan the first 10 minutes aside we did very well considering we were playing with 10 men”....😁.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:01 pm

Don’t expect any searching questions from Uncle Ray it is not his style. A fans forum where we could put AA on the spot would be interesting, because I think some of us are getting frustrated with how things are going.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:14 pm

karlo-cardiff wrote:

Sounded to me like they would have had a few more if they could finish.

Game was over after 10 mins so they sat back and conserved energy, we can take nothing positive from today.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:16 pm

Was it a deserved sending off? Anyone…..
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:39 pm

A guy next to us who was a ref said it was an easy sending off with both feet off the ground. In this league you can't give refs the chance. The issue is inconsistency. A similar foul from their guy 5 mins later and he gets a yellow.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:07 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:16 pm
Was it a deserved sending off? Anyone…..
From where we was stood, no.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:10 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:A guy next to us who was a ref said it was an easy sending off with both feet off the ground. In this league you can't give refs the chance. The issue is inconsistency. A similar foul from their guy 5 mins later and he gets a yellow.
We certainly are not getting the rub of the green from referees this season, their lad making a similar tackle and only getting a yellow is typical of many strange decisions this season but Cassidy should have known better.No excuses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:32 pm

At the time it didn't even strike me as a foul. Came from slightly behind and wrapped both legs around the ball to win it. Is that a foul these days? Certainly didn't make contact with the player before the ball. Difficult to see their man's foul but looked as though it was two footed and studs showing and caught what I think was Hedley. I know which I'd rather be on the receiving end of.

The first 5 minutes was down to AA I'm afraid. 3 centre backs not very familiar with each other playing an unfamiliar system was a recipe for disaster. Two behind before they had got any sort of handle on it.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:09 am

One step forward them two back, unfortunately consistency doesn’t appear to be on our side this season we can’t keep blaming referees if we lose.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:01 am

quakersfan wrote:One step forward them two back, unfortunately consistency doesn’t appear to be on our side this season we can’t keep blaming referees if we lose.
We always seem to get ourselves into a good league position where a win will get us close to a play off place and then blow it.Chester and Gloucester so typical, the points we are throwing away is criminal with awful defending.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:03 am

Strange thing was that we were set up to play a side who weren't there. They didn't just endlessly lump it forward - witness both their goals which came down the middle on the floor. Having three cbs limited us going forward especially after Cassidy was sent off and meant we were short in midfield.

Their keeper was voted MoM and though he didn't have masses to do he did make two outstanding saves and very tidy in all the more routine stuff. He's apparently a loanee and should go further if he keeps that up. Annoying thing is that their defence didn't look very good and with 11 men we could still have got something.

Credit to the players for their endeavour and effort even when they were down to 10 and 2 goals in arrears.

Shout-out for fans who were unstinting in their support.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:43 am

dfcdfcdfc wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:32 pm
Came from slightly behind and wrapped both legs around the ball to win it. Is that a foul these days?
"Wrapping both legs" and "from behind" sounds a bit dodgy tbh but it all depends on the level of force. Think you run a risk if you leave the ground (assumed he'd have to leave the ground if both legs were able to wrap around the ball), particularly if you are having to go through the player to get to the ball.
Last edited by lo36789 on Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:54 am

18 games played this season under AA and won 5 can keep saying we were unlucky or refs decisions cost us or we give away too many soft goals to the opposition but we are definitely not heading in the right direction.
We supposedly have a named squad of 27 players, Gateshead only have a squad of 24 and they include three keepers.
Yes Charman and Hatfield have found the net but KDS and particularly Rivers final scoring opportunities not great 2 between them . Mondal, Beauchamp limited so far.
Hedley and Griffiths are adequate full backs but with Smith injured, Taylor and Hope are not considered good enough to replace them. Defensively we are poor only keeping 3 clean sheets (2 league,1 facup) yet have 11 defenders on the books to chose from (ok Laing long term injury) .
A squad of 27 part time players should be doing alot better or atleast move some on to reduce our outgoings!

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:28 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:54 am
18 games played this season under AA and won 5 can keep saying we were unlucky or refs decisions cost us or we give away too many soft goals to the opposition but we are definitely not heading in the right direction.
We supposedly have a named squad of 27 players, Gateshead only have a squad of 24 and they include three keepers.
Yes Charman and Hatfield have found the net but KDS and particularly Rivers final scoring opportunities not great 2 between them . Mondal, Beauchamp limited so far.
Hedley and Griffiths are adequate full backs but with Smith injured, Taylor and Hope are not considered good enough to replace them. Defensively we are poor only keeping 3 clean sheets (2 league,1 facup) yet have 11 defenders on the books to chose from (ok Laing long term injury) .
A squad of 27 part time players should be doing alot better or atleast move some on to reduce our outgoings!

Agree with most of what you are saying.
A number of poor recruitment decisions in the summer has left the squad unbalanced and even AA clearly does not rate a number of his own signings.
Many fans said in Sept, “ give him a bit of time, lots of players will become available” etc etc and was probably fair but after 18 games it’s obvious that we are not good enough overall.
Inconsistency has been the theme of his reign as manager. Like this season, poor one week then a few games and signings that make us think he has now got it right, followed by some poor results again.
It’s all right him saying in basically every interview “ we had a mad 10 minutes” but he never stops it happening. It’s clear to me that neither of them can coach the defensive side of the game adequately, yet are great at nice to watch, effective attacking passing football. So why not bring in as a one off an experienced defensive coach for a few weeks to work with them.
Just a thought as really like AA and want him to succeed but this inconsistency is driving me mad.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:33 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:28 pm
eddie-rowles wrote:

A number of poor recruitment decisions in the summer has left the squad unbalanced and even AA clearly does not rate a number of his own signings.
Many fans said in Sept, “ give him a bit of time, lots of players will become available” etc etc and was probably fair but after 18 games it’s obvious that we are not good enough overall.
Inconsistency has been the theme of his reign as manager. Like this season, poor one week then a few games and signings that make us think he has now got it right, followed by some poor results again.
It’s all right him saying in basically every interview “ we had a mad 10 minutes” but he never stops it happening. It’s clear to me that neither of them can coach the defensive side of the game adequately, yet are great at nice to watch, effective attacking passing football. So why not bring in as a one off an experienced defensive coach for a few weeks to work with them.
Just a thought as really like AA and want him to succeed but this inconsistency is driving me mad.
Holloway was a defender who played at a very high level. Just how experienced do you want a defensive coach to be who would also offer to come in to a club at a league thats probably beneath him standards wise?
If we had lost 2-0 last night with a goal midway through each half I doubt people would be getting so worked up about it. Yes it would be disappointing but losing away to a team a few places higher in the league, who have a decent budget, squad and brand new ground, isnt the end of the world that some of you think it is.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:44 pm

loan_star wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:33 pm
Quakerlad wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:28 pm
eddie-rowles wrote:

Holloway was a defender who played at a very high level. Just how experienced do you want a defensive coach to be who would also offer to come in to a club at a league thats probably beneath him standards wise?
If we had lost 2-0 last night with a goal midway through each half I doubt people would be getting so worked up about it. Yes it would be disappointing but losing away to a team a few places higher in the league, who have a decent budget, squad and brand new ground, isnt the end of the world that some of you think it is.
The problem isn't a mad 10 minutes against Boston in isolation, and saying a standard 2-0 loss against Boston would be fine glosses over the fact that this is a constant theme.

We had a mad 10 minutes against Chester, a mad 10 minutes against Gloucester, gave Alfreton a 3 goal head start, have given Bradford Pa and Blyth a 2 goal head start, and generally looked shaky throughout games we have drawn or won narrowly. Brackley and Kettering away were very good results, as were Guiseley and Telford at home, but the problem is the manner in which we keep repeating mistakes with seemingly zero improvement. The next 4 league games are going to be extremely tough and if we keep making these errors we will be lucky to get any more points before the new year.

For me we are not solid enough in midfield. We have missed the strong Hatfield / Wheatley partnership of the last 2 seasons. I think with those two playing in front of a combination of Ellis / Cooper / Lawlor in a 4 man defense will make us more solid. The problem then is how to fit Cassidy an Lambert into a team and keep width.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:01 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:44 pm

For me we are not solid enough in midfield. We have missed the strong Hatfield / Wheatley partnership of the last 2 seasons. I think with those two playing in front of a combination of Ellis / Cooper / Lawlor in a 4 man defense will make us more solid. The problem then is how to fit Cassidy an Lambert into a team and keep width.
Wheatley isnt the Wheatley of previous seasons, he has looked lethargic this season and seems to have put on a bit of beef too.
As for the defence, 2 of the players you mentioned have only been at the club for the last month or less, and neither have played much for whatever reason. You cant expect it to just click when they try something out, especially after a couple of training sessions.
People were calling out for Ellis to return for last night, yet neither Cooper or Lawlor deserved to be dropped. So then you either keep 4 at the back and drop one of them or play one as a full back. Either way if you bring Ellis back then its forming a new partnership which can take time to gell.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:00 pm

Why is our focus so poor from the kick-off? Not just this game but lots of others. Agreed we just can't keep a settled side, what with red cards, injuries ( both short & long term), loanees & triallists coming & going then all the baggage of Covid /part-timers - no wonder we play like a bunch of individuals, never a team with a plan (or better still, alternative plan B if A doesn't work!). AA still doesn't change things through timely subs or tactics when the game is going against us. Chester was an example of subs coming into a winning side at 2-0 and disrupting it so we scraped a draw in the end. Unfathomable logic by AA. The most annoying thing is that in the squad, there are some really talented footballers but they never manage to make the side function. Arrgghh the frustration of being a Darlo fan!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:08 pm

jjljks wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:00 pm
Why is our focus so poor from the kick-off?
Straight after halftime kickoff on Saturday, 2 goals down. Straight after kickoff last night, 2 goals down. I don't know the answer to your question though, I took it as a rhetorical question.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:30 pm

Have to say I am beginning to doubt whether Armstrong and Holloway have the tactical nouse to be successful at this level. You would think that a former striker and former defender would be an ideal mix in a management team but it doesn’t seem to be working.
This is the third season they have had to produce a team capable of mounting a playoff challenge and we seem as far away as ever from a sustained challenge at the top end of the league. Of course the last two seasons have been disrupted but nevertheless it is disappointing.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:07 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:30 pm
Have to say I am beginning to doubt whether Armstrong and Holloway have the tactical nouse to be successful at this level. You would think that a former striker and former defender would be an ideal mix in a management team but it doesn’t seem to be working.
This is the third season they have had to produce a team capable of mounting a playoff challenge and we seem as far away as ever from a sustained challenge at the top end of the league. Of course the last two seasons have been disrupted but nevertheless it is disappointing.
:problem: I think the reasoned nature of this says much about the respect the fans have for the management - see other posts too - but in a way its more telling than a wtf slag off. We've all wished them success but you don't need the old crystal ball to see it's not going to happen now. Poor refs are common in our league and will affect every one, as has Covid - we have a good support base and good enough players so why have we been so bad at times? I agree that the result last night isn't the end of the world but it might signal the point where AA loses our faith in him - it can't have been Holloways choice to set up like that at the back. So, let's see this season as 'transitional' as we're not going up and shouldn't go down but maybe we should take some tough decisions next May.