Southport V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Emdubya
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport V Darlington

Post by Emdubya » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:09 pm

1-1 Charman

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:49 pm

Lost 5-4 on pens

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:51 pm

Anyone want to buy 2 train tickets to London Sunday 22nd May?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:50 am

Game was played in horrible wind and rain, part of the pitch was waterlogged so we were all in the stand. After the shocking non closing down for their goal we played well for the rest of the half. We matched them in the second but to be fair they did hit the bar twice! Disappointing to lose on penalties but the lads gave everything in terrible conditions and it was a decent game. Well done to the hard core support only thirty or so but really behind the team.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:15 am

Had a couple of good chances to wrap it up in normal time, but didn't take them. Neither did they & rattled the bar twice. Decent enough display from the lads but guess we can concentrate on the league😐

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:53 am

At least it seems like a better effort than the league game so credit is due for that. We will have no option but to concentrate on the league now. However, we only have 1 more game between now and Boxing Day, unless we arrange one for Saturday 18th.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:11 am

Last nights game pretty much summed up the season so far. Soft early goal conceded, actually played well in spells with some nice football, lots of chances at both ends, but didn’t win ! Could apply that to any number of games. As you could AA comment “ the full back didn’t close the cross down and the 3 centre halves let them have a free header” . Really Alan, that’s a surprise then! ( and these include your “nasty experienced” defenders which you repeatedly said was all we needed to be a good team)

For me, a disappointing season (sure some will say I’m negative and try and spin a positive): out of both cups in first round, won 5/19 games, bottom half or lower in league when others play games in hand. Yet we have a squad of 25+ with a number nowhere even near the squad which must be costing us financially. ( my guess is we have the biggest part time squad in league comfortably). How can that be anything other than disappointing?

Only thing now is to go on a run of I don’t know 6/8 wins, create some excitement and really push up the league. Really hope that can happen, let’s see🤞.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:53 am

Terrible weather, but some good football played at times, Charmers goal an excellent solo effort. Both teams could have won the game to be honest. We struggle at the back when players attack the ball in the air and there goal was an easy gift. Saying that I thought Ellis was awesome after there goal. Lambert looked good and impressed a Southport fan I was talking too in front of me. Felt for Headley, he had a good game imo and looked devastated when he walked off. We did miss the physical presence of Cassidy mind so hope we can get a game sorted for the 18th so he is available for the busy Chrismas New year period.

Couple of things for me:-
When we head a ball it is rarely to one of our players (southport seemed to manage it a fair number of times, and clearances inevitably went to Southport players. So awareness of where all players rather than those close by when under pressure an issue?

Seem to be ball watching at times rather than
awareness of opposition players, Purver was just outside the 18yard box on one of there corners when he noticed a Southport player on the goal line at the back post, and quickly ran back to cover him with 3 centre backs and 2 full backs you would have thought they would have noticed and called out for cover?

Overall though, given the weather an entertaining game although disappointing. Also we now have time to get the "new" formation of 3 centre backs sorted in training (we did look better when we went 4 at the back halfway through the second half).

As to Quakerlads comments on squad size, we have injuries and loans (plus we are part time so there will be times when players are not available), take those out and we would be down to bare bones of a squad for games, so personally happy with squad.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:49 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:11 am
Last nights game pretty much summed up the season so far. Soft early goal conceded, actually played well in spells with some nice football, lots of chances at both ends, but didn’t win ! Could apply that to any number of games. As you could AA comment “ the full back didn’t close the cross down and the 3 centre halves let them have a free header” . Really Alan, that’s a surprise then! ( and these include your “nasty experienced” defenders which you repeatedly said was all we needed to be a good team)

For me, a disappointing season (sure some will say I’m negative and try and spin a positive): out of both cups in first round, won 5/19 games, bottom half or lower in league when others play games in hand. Yet we have a squad of 25+ with a number nowhere even near the squad which must be costing us financially. ( my guess is we have the biggest part time squad in league comfortably). How can that be anything other than disappointing?

Only thing now is to go on a run of I don’t know 6/8 wins, create some excitement and really push up the league. Really hope that can happen, let’s see🤞.
Absolutely spot on we do have a larger squad than many in our league and 99.9% are AA signings need to cut free some driftwood and be less loyal to those not chipping in with goals and blaming bad luck ,if Nelson not fit for Xmas period in January have to ask if he would go to free up budget.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:28 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:50 am
Game was played in horrible wind and rain, part of the pitch was waterlogged so we were all in the stand. After the shocking non closing down for their goal we played well for the rest of the half. We matched them in the second but to be fair they did hit the bar twice! Disappointing to lose on penalties but the lads gave everything in terrible conditions and it was a decent game. Well done to the hard core support only thirty or so but really behind the team.
I am still not over the defending for that first goal, it was like the game had not started.

Never noticed it before but our coaching staff seem quiet, might be the wind that took their shouts away from my earshot though.

Apart from that great performance and full respect to all the lads that came down from Darlo, outstanding.

Wonder if we can get a home game from Jan or Feb moved into December 18th?

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:29 pm

50 years wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:53 am
Terrible weather, but some good football played at times, Charmers goal an excellent solo effort. Both teams could have won the game to be honest. We struggle at the back when players attack the ball in the air and there goal was an easy gift. Saying that I thought Ellis was awesome after there goal. Lambert looked good and impressed a Southport fan I was talking too in front of me. Felt for Headley, he had a good game imo and looked devastated when he walked off. We did miss the physical presence of Cassidy mind so hope we can get a game sorted for the 18th so he is available for the busy Chrismas New year period.

Couple of things for me:-
When we head a ball it is rarely to one of our players (southport seemed to manage it a fair number of times, and clearances inevitably went to Southport players. So awareness of where all players rather than those close by when under pressure an issue?

Seem to be ball watching at times rather than
awareness of opposition players, Purver was just outside the 18yard box on one of there corners when he noticed a Southport player on the goal line at the back post, and quickly ran back to cover him with 3 centre backs and 2 full backs you would have thought they would have noticed and called out for cover?

Overall though, given the weather an entertaining game although disappointing. Also we now have time to get the "new" formation of 3 centre backs sorted in training (we did look better when we went 4 at the back halfway through the second half).

As to Quakerlads comments on squad size, we have injuries and loans (plus we are part time so there will be times when players are not available), take those out and we would be down to bare bones of a squad for games, so personally happy with squad.
"When we head a ball it is rarely to one of our players"

I said the same thing. Ellis apart though, he went for everything. Really like him, hard nut.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:35 pm

Personally I would give Armstrong and Holloway another 10 or so games to move us up the table. If by then we are off the pace for a playoff challenge it may be time to consider a change. That would still give a new appointment some games to assess the current playing squad with a view to next season.
I know many will disagree but I am beginning to think they have had plenty of time to get it right and we need to see some progress. I believe we have a stronger squad than we have had for several years but we have hardly made any improvement in our league position since the days of Tommy Wright.
Still hoping Armstrong and Holloway can bring about the necessary improvement to our fortunes but time is running out.

Darlogramps

Southport V Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:59 pm

I’m the opposite. I’d back AA and give him free reign in the next few months to get the team right.

It was always going to be transitional this season. I’m very relaxed if we finish mid-table. Put the building blocks in place and let’s have a real go at promotion next season. I said that in the summer and I’ve been proven right so far.

I really do think the likes of Old Git and Quakerlad have underestimated just how big of an overhaul we had this summer, particularly as our pre-season was totally disrupted. Expecting a serious promotion bid in those circumstances was always going to be very optimistic at best.

We have made a lot of progress since the days of TW. The last season under him was shambolic. That season we finished 16th. In AA’s first year we finished 10th. Last season was abandoned after 11 games so you can’t judge. Now we’re 12th after a huge overhaul in the summer which is pretty creditable in my view.

Talking of getting rid of the management team, three months into a massive rebuild is an overreaction. If the defence could learn to switch on for the first 10 minutes of games we’re not that far away at all.

We’re mid-table with a solid team that still has improvement to come. I can’t see us going down and we’re only three points off the top seven. Going out of the Cup and Trophy was disappointing, but last night we played a form team away from home, did well and went out on penalties. One of those nights.

Be patient and back the team rather than undermining them. It will all come together.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:40 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:59 pm
can’t see us going down and we’re only three points off top spot.
That's a nice thought - but it's three points off the playoffs.

I'm with A.A. too, these haven't been normal times, but the season is far from over.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:52 pm

Not wanting to change horses in midstream, so I want to let the management team be judged at the end of this season.
Also don't see the point of bringing a game forward to Dec 18th, as the Saturday before Christmas has usually a depleted attendance. We have a long list of injuries and players need time to recover fitness so let them have a free Saturday.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:55 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
That's a nice thought - but it's three points off the playoffs.

I'm with A.A. too, these haven't been normal times, but the season is far from over.
Apologies, I meant “three points off the top seven”.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:22 pm

Fortunately among those who would ultimately decide on this kind of thing there is complete faith in AA and the rebuilding job that has been taking shape. And quite rightly so. It's a longer term project than a few games and we will see the benefit going forward.

There's a bigger picture here that can't be ignored just because someone missed a penalty or a couple of defenders didn't do their job properly and we missed out on three points in a particular game. After the major overhauling of the squad and everything else, what we probably need more than anything is a period of stability rather than talk of ripping it all up and starting again.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:22 pm
Fortunately among those who would ultimately decide on this kind of thing there is complete faith in AA and the rebuilding job that has been taking shape. And quite rightly so. It's a longer term project than a few games and we will see the benefit going forward.

There's a bigger picture here that can't be ignored just because someone missed a penalty or a couple of defenders didn't do their job properly and we missed out on three points in a particular game. After the major overhauling of the squad and everything else, what we probably need more than anything is a period of stability rather than talk of ripping it all up and starting again.
Excellent post

bga

Post by bga » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:27 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
I’m the opposite. I’d back AA and give him free reign in the next few months to get the team right.

It was always going to be transitional this season. I’m very relaxed if we finish mid-table. Put the building blocks in place and let’s have a real go at promotion next season. I said that in the summer and I’ve been proven right so far.

I really do think the likes of Old Git and Quakerlad have underestimated just how big of an overhaul we had this summer, particularly as our pre-season was totally disrupted. Expecting a serious promotion bid in those circumstances was always going to be very optimistic at best.

We have made a lot of progress since the days of TW. The last season under him was shambolic. That season we finished 16th. In AA’s first year we finished 10th. Last season was abandoned after 11 games so youm can’t judge. Now we’re 12th after a huge overhaul in the summer which is pretty creditable in my view.

Talking of getting rid of the management team, three months into a massive rebuild is an overreaction. If the defence could learn to switch on for the first 10 minutes of games we’re not that far away at all.

We’re mid-table with a solid team that still has improvement to come. I can’t see us going down and we’re only three points off the top seven. Going out of the Cup and Trophy was disappointing, but last night we played a form team away from home, did well and went out on penalties. One of those nights.

Be patient and back the team rather than undermining them. It will all come together.
I like many have been frustrated by the performances this season. Rightly or wrongly at the start of the season I like many felt with the success of Boost the Budget and a competitive playing budget we might be higher up the table. The Board appeared to present this view as well? I am however persuaded now by the arguments about this now being a transitional season. I just hope that the "building blocks" that you refer to are still going to be with us this time next season i.e. they are on 2-year contracts or get offered a new contract at the end of the year otherwise this would have been a wasted season and we would be back to square one. It is clear at least two contracted players are not part of the plans. Hopefully the club is doing all it can behind the scenes to free up the wage bill though I accept this must be difficult mid-season and mid contract.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:31 pm

The frustrating thing is, had it not been for our defensive frailties this season we could actually well be 3 points off top!

We are promotion chasers at one end but relegation fodder at the other, never known a team like the one we have this season not sure if Icarus and wax wings is the right comparison but our defence has been as effective as a chocolate fireguard on too many occasions already.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:52 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Fortunately among those who would ultimately decide on this kind of thing there is complete faith in AA and the rebuilding job that has been taking shape. And quite rightly so. It's a longer term project than a few games and we will see the benefit going forward.

Excellent post and completely correct.

Remember the Northern League season. We actually didn’t properly click until after Christmas. Before that we had some bad results at Guisborough, Team Northumbria and Newton Aycliffe. We’d started from scratch and just needed some time to get things right.

We’ve built a new team that needs time to settle in, particularly given the problems in pre-season, and getting our initial defensive recruitment wrong.

I’d only be contemplating a managerial change if our form totally collapses and we get dragged into the relegation fight. Right now, I don’t see that happening.

Until then, like you say, a period of stability is what’s needed. A couple of decent additions in the summer and I think we’ll be set up well for the new campaign. There can be no excuses in that instance though.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:40 pm

Quakerlad wrote:

For me, a disappointing season (sure some will say I’m negative and try and spin a positive): out of both cups in first round, won 5/19 games, bottom half or lower in league when others play games in hand. Yet we have a squad of 25+ with a number nowhere even near the squad which must be costing us financially.
Just don’t see how anyone can say that this season has been anything other than disappointing to be honest.

Get the “transition”, building a new team etc but what’s he been doing for the last 2/3 seasons then? These are basically all his players now.

Personally not advocating a new manager just saying that too many things have been consistently wrong and AA has to shoulder his fair share of the blame.

Like I said, hopefully he can put it right in next few games, but it’s a fingers crossed rather than any confidence.

Darlogramps

Southport V Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:06 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:

For me, a disappointing season (sure some will say I’m negative and try and spin a positive): out of both cups in first round, won 5/19 games, bottom half or lower in league when others play games in hand. Yet we have a squad of 25+ with a number nowhere even near the squad which must be costing us financially.
Just don’t see how anyone can say that this season has been anything other than disappointing to be honest.

Get the “transition”, building a new team etc but what’s he been doing for the last 2/3 seasons then? These are basically all his players now.
With respect, you’re being disingenuous with that paragraph. He built a team right away in his first season. We were very much in the mix for the play-offs before COVID hit.

Last season we had 11 games. It’s hard to draw any conclusions on the basis of that.

And then he tore it up this season and started again. He said some players had lost the fight. Some players also asked to leave so we rebuilt.

So I don’t have any time for the “He’s had three seasons” argument. At best it’s reductionist. At worst it’s wilful ignorance. Two of them were finished early, with one scrubbed out! And the third he’s had to rebuild.

We’re only at the start of December so let’s give it time before labelling the season disappointing. Plus it’s only disappointing if you expected us to be consistently in the play-offs. Is that really what you were expecting in August? In which case I’d love to hear your justification for why you thought that.

This might sound harsh but you only have yourself to blame if you expected us to be top five or top three. Given the overhaul and the pre-season COVID outbreaks, it’s no surprise to me we’re where we are. And in fairness, I said exactly this in August and you had a go at me.

I’m not disappointed because it’s played out near enough exactly how I expected. You can’t set your sights too high and then complain if we don’t meet them.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:08 pm

Think some people are massively over estimating what the Boost the Budget gives us by the way.

Certainly is never a guarantee of success and also don't we also know there is budget left as Armstrong didn't want to waste it when he couldn't get the players in of the calibre he wanted.

Bit disingenuous to assume that just because a budget was raised which puts us in the top 10 means it provides any form of guarantee...particularly in penalty shootouts.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:41 am

Never got this assumption that because we’ve raised XXX amount, that means we should be fighting for promotion places.

Are we forgetting what kind of sides we are up against in this league with huge budgets?
Boston, Spennymoor, Brackley, Fylde, York, Gateshead.

Chorley have got good money from the FA Cup run too.
Aren’t Gloucester FT too, and they are scrambling at the bottom.

I’m as frustrated as anyone with how some of these games have panned out, but it’s Darlo. Surely, we are all used to it by now?!

Personally, I still think we will be fighting towards those Play-Off spots come the end of May. All we can do in the meantime is to continue to back those in charge and be the 12th man for those 11 on the field.

In this together! #UpTheDarlo

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:00 am

This might sound harsh but you only have yourself to blame if you expected us to be top five or top three. Given the overhaul and the pre-season COVID outbreaks, it’s no surprise to me we’re where we are. And in fairness, I said exactly this in August and you had a go at me.

I’m not disappointed because it’s played out near enough exactly how I expected. You can’t set your sights too high and then complain if we don’t meet them.
[/quote]

AA & DH over the previous two seasons have complained, explained , highlighted whatever you want to call it with Ray in countless interviews that players were not keeping to the gameplan, either it was hoofing it forward to Campbell, Maquire or keepers not commanding their box, defenders not coming for balls, ball watching not staying with runners or or getting in shape during transition whatever that means. There was endless chin rubbing by AA or sighs when Ray stated we played well after going 2-0 down etc, these are all tactics, coaching that AA is an expert in and this season with different players the frailties are still there, yes were part time but something is not right in coaching .
Yes we can score goals and AA has always said that his mantra was win 5-4 but we are not great in keeping teams out only Blyth and Gloucester have conceded fractionally more so you don't need to be a tactician to view problem, however can AA & DH solve it?
If we do finish bottom half then I would like to see a different manager next season.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:24 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:06 pm
Quakerlad wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:

I get it, your not disappointed, I am, that’s football and we all have different views and levels of expectancy and that’s always going to be the case.

I had no huge level of expecting us to be up at top competing with many of the richer clubs, of course not. Equally though, I didn’t expect us to be out of both cups first round, bottom part of league, only won 5 games all with an unbalanced squad of over 25 players all before December.

Dissapointing to me and many others, expected by you and others, that’s being a Darlo supporter I guess.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:38 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:06 pm
Quakerlad wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:

I get it, your not disappointed, I am, that’s football and we all have different views and levels of expectancy and that’s always going to be the case.

I had no huge level of expecting us to be up at top competing with many of the richer clubs, of course not. Equally though, I didn’t expect us to be out of both cups first round, bottom part of league, only won 5 games all with an unbalanced squad of over 25 players all before December.

Dissapointing to me and many others, expected by you and others, that’s being a Darlo supporter I guess.
What did you expect? At the start of the season, knowing we’d changed 2/3s of our squad and had a wretched time with COVID in pre-season, what were your expectations this season?

Please don’t tell me what you weren’t expecting. I’m interested to hear what you thought was realistically achievable?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:40 am

eddie-rowles wrote: If we do finish bottom half then I would like to see a different manager next season.
Feels a bit arbitrary doesn’t it? As in, if we finish 12th you want AA sacked, but if we finish 11th he keeps his job. Not sure I follow that logic TBH.

For me the big indicator is progression. If we’ve progressed come March/early April and look like we’re just a couple of additions away from a sustained challenge next season, that would do for me.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:37 pm

Theres a lot of bed wetting going on in this thread. Fortunately as Lucan said, we have people in charge who arent trigger happy with the sacking option. Imagine if Archie Heaton had a pair of balls and hadnt sacked one of the best managers we have ever had.