Graeme Lee

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JasonDeVos
Team Supported: Darlington

Graeme Lee

Post by JasonDeVos » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:35 pm

Man not paid his wages by Singh when at Darlington agrees to be his manager.

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Graeme Lee

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:46 pm

It wouldn't be for me that's for sure! Fool me once/fool me twice, and all that.

A quick look on The Bunker confirms that this has split opinion with HUFC fans. Some expressing, shall we say 'surprise' ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:11 pm

A playing legend and a local lad could work in his favour however hes been coaching the kids at Middlesbrough for last few year. I know hes been wanting to get into management for a while, once applied for gateshead job
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:21 pm

Micky Nelson has done well to get the assistant's job there after getting the push at Blyth following their horrendous run of results. I get the feeling Raj has had a big eye on the managerial wage bill in his appointments. The fact that the new boss has no experience as a manager or assistant manager of a club might ring some alarm bells.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:35 pm

Alarm bells are a ringing.

After Darlo won The Trophy things looked good and there was a platform to build on........

After H'pool won promotion things looked good and there was a platform to build on........

The world of football sure is a strange one. There is no way that I would work for someone who had previously stitched me up financially.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:42 pm

Hopefully Graeme will be able settle old debts and restore our old friends up the road to their rightful place in the National League ;)
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:15 pm

I believe he was in for the Darlington manager’s job when we appointment Martin Gray in 2012. Thank goodness he didn’t succeed as we enjoyed our greatest ever era under Gray and Atkinson between 2012 and 2017.
Not sure how Poolie fans will feel about the appointment as Lee and Nelson were excellent players for them but are completely lacking managerial experience at EFL level. Could it be the beginning of a new era of austerity under Singh as he tries to cut costs ?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:29 pm

Gray did a great job there's no doubt about it but "our greatest ever era" is pushing it a bit as I don't think that little period of time can be compared to normal times.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:37 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:29 pm
Gray did a great job there's no doubt about it but "our greatest ever era" is pushing it a bit as I don't think that little period of time can be compared to normal times.
My thoughts exactly.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:14 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Gray did a great job there's no doubt about it but "our greatest ever era" is pushing it a bit as I don't think that little period of time can be compared to normal times.
To be fair, I can’t recall a period where we’ve as consistently successful than under Gray. It was five years where we were competing at the top every season and it was refreshing.

Possibly Brian Little’s era gets close given we had consecutive titles, but that was two seasons and we came straight back down.

Now winning the Conference and Division Four trumps winning the Northern League and NPL.

But I can’t remember finding a period as exciting as it was under Gray.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:18 pm

What I loved about Gray's teams was the mentality of expecting to win games. All through my life as a darlo fan defeats have been greeted with a roll of the eyes rather than genuine frustration, so it felt extraordinary to be expecting to win every week, and that came not just because we were playing lower tier opposition but because gray gave us a team that just always wanted and expected to win.

We'll never have another period like it, and, for me, gray earned the right to be discussed alongside our all time great managers.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:55 am

I did enjoy that era for the reasons mentioned above, it was certainly a novelty as a Darlo fan to turn up to every game expecting to win but would definitely not call it the greatest ever era.
With our fanbase and budget we were expected to win and only dropped 16 points in the northern league season. I wasn’t aware at the time how strong our current league is but for me anything other than consecutive promotions would have been a massive failure. That Ramsbottom game still gives me nightmares but was just a blip!

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:08 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:14 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Gray did a great job there's no doubt about it but "our greatest ever era" is pushing it a bit as I don't think that little period of time can be compared to normal times.
To be fair, I can’t recall a period where we’ve as consistently successful than under Gray. It was five years where we were competing at the top every season and it was refreshing.

Possibly Brian Little’s era gets close given we had consecutive titles, but that was two seasons and we came straight back down.

Now winning the Conference and Division Four trumps winning the Northern League and NPL.

But I can’t remember finding a period as exciting as it was under Gray.

Agree, that 5 year period, even at the level it was, was just brilliant. Turning up home and away knowing that you would be entertained and that every player would be giving 100% every single minute was a joy to watch at the time. Particularly after years of mainly the opposite.
Common things though between Little and Gray teams were that both teams were deliberately full of strong, often physical, leaders in most areas of the pitch and helped make that winning mentality.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:42 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:18 pm
What I loved about Gray's teams was the mentality of expecting to win games. All through my life as a darlo fan defeats have been greeted with a roll of the eyes rather than genuine frustration, so it felt extraordinary to be expecting to win every week, and that came not just because we were playing lower tier opposition but because gray gave us a team that just always wanted and expected to win.

We'll never have another period like it, and, for me, gray earned the right to be discussed alongside our all time great managers.
Gray gave us a team? Or we gave him a team?

We paid for it, and then paid off the debt he racked up signing all these players, if I remember rightly?

Not doubting he assembled a very talented bunch of players and motivated them to deliver some great results but I'm sure many other could've done the same, especially with Harry Dunn's connections and knowledge of the local non-league game to draw upon.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:36 pm

Spyman wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:42 pm
tdk1 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:18 pm

Gray gave us a team? Or we gave him a team?

We paid for it, and then paid off the debt he racked up signing all these players, if I remember rightly?

Not doubting he assembled a very talented bunch of players and motivated them to deliver some great results but I'm sure many other could've done the same, especially with Harry Dunn's connections and knowledge of the local non-league game to draw upon.
For goodness sake give credit where it is due. If we had not enjoyed so much success in Gray’s era the club might not have survived. I for one will always be grateful to him for pulling up our club from the depths of oblivion to where we are now. Make no mistake he was the right man at the right time to turn our club around.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:00 pm

I have given credit where it's due.

The Fans
Martin Gray
Harry Dunn
The Players

All played a big part in getting us back to where we are now, along with many other contributors along the way.

Jason Ainsley also showed that with a big pot of cash it's possible to get multiple promotions in non-league, as did the chaps at Salford, South Shields and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples. What Gray achieved was important for us as a club but wasn't unprecedented, and wasn't achieved without significant support from others.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC