Darlington v Fylde

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington v Fylde

Post by Old Git » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:41 am

Obviously a tough test on Saturday against the team at the top of the league, but hopefully we can produce one of our better performances and take something from the game. Cassidy is still suspended which is a blow as you need experienced players in games like these, but presumably Charman will play up front with support from Lambert. Elsewhere on the pitch some interesting selection decisions to be made. Both Smith and Griffiths will have fitness tests but if they are both fit will Hedley be dropped or play at right back? If we play 2 central defenders it’s 2 from 3 out of Cooper Ellis and Lawlor and decisions to be made on the midfield shape and personnel. It could be 2 wide men in Rivers and De Santos with 2 central players, which means Hatfield, Wheatley, Purver and Rose competing for those spots. Or perhaps AA will go with 3 in midfield and sacrifice some width.
The good news is plenty of options and players competing for places in the starting eleven. No doubt we have a stronger squad now than earlier in the season, we just need to start finding some more consistency. Saturday provides an opportunity to show that we really can compete with the best in this division.

Darlopartisan

Re: Darlington v Fylde

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:14 am

442 for me, we seem to get over run in midfield if we only play 3 in the middle, the same at the back if we only play 3 there.
Smith has been out for some time now, so maybe start with Hedley and give Smith 30 minutes in the second half .
Taylor.
Griffiths Ellis Lawlor Hedley.
Rivers Hatfield Purver Dos Santos.
Charman Lambert.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:44 pm

I fancy a score draw and have taken a couple of micro bets to back this up.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:56 pm

Hope we give up on the 3/5 at the back. I don't think we have the right players to play it well, Griffiths and Hedley aren't wing back and non of the CBs are what you'd call proper ball playing defenders and if non of your CBs are willing to step out then you end up just playing infront of the opposition.

We know it's going to be a tough game. I'd expect Fylde to be good on the ball with the likes of Perkins, Joyce, Haughton in the center of the park so I'd rather we got some bodies in there out of possession to defend. Thought we looked excellent in the 2nd half v Kettering in a 4-4-1-1 so that's what I've gone for.

---------------------------- Taylor ---------------------------
Griffiths ------- Lawlor ---- Ellis ----------- Smith
Rivers --------- Purver ----- Rose ------ Lambert
-------------------------- Hatfield ---------------------------
------------------------- Charman --------------------------

Sub: Hedley, Cooper, Wheatley, Dos Santos, Nelson/Mondal

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:41 pm

Rose not available on Saturday still suffering the after effects of covid.
AA has said that Wheatley is raring to start ,after looking sharp in training, great news that .
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:10 pm

The lads usually put on a great display when we play the top teams. Obviously we will miss Cass & Rose, but having a fit Wheatley is a bonus. C'mon Darlo - turn it on for an early Christmas prezzie!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:24 pm

Team for today:

Taylor, Hedley, Lawlor, Ellis, Cooper, Purver, Wheatley, Hatfield, Rivers, Lambert, Charman.

Subs: Storey, Smith, Dos Santos, Mondal, Nelson

Looks like 4 at the back with Hedley and Cooper as full backs. Infront of that looks like it will be some variation of 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1.

Plenty of height in that team if we can get some decent set pieces into the box.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:39 pm

See David Perkins is on the bench for them. He absolutely ran the show in our play off match at Rochdale, a fantastic midfield performance.

The sod.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:38 pm

Weather is atrocious but we're playing brilliant 1-0 up, cracker of a goal. Not sure who scored.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:03 pm

Cracking goal from Charman 1 up

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:08 pm

We need a second, not feeling confident of defending a one goal lead. Weather is shocking.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:43 pm

Heroic back to the wall stuff by Darlo. I'm expecting lots of injury time, as we've done a bit of time wasting. Blinding save by Tommy Taylor.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:37 pm

Great backs to the wall effort by all the lads fully deserved a win with that goal alone and Taylors save.They looked tidy on the ball but we harrassed them for 80 mins then it was a case of would we hold out as we tired but great 3 points.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:59 pm

That's the performance of the season so far. They are a good team passing from them very good accurate. However Darlington restricted them to 3 shots.
An all round good display today from the team. More of the same against spennymoor and gateshead please. And we could be in with a shout come new year.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:01 pm

Well done to all the lads today for giving a really hard working performance and sticking to the task so well. Shows what we can do as we have beaten the top 2 teams in the league.
Somehow we look a better team when Ellis is in defence and to be fair to AA I think he got the selection and tactics bang on today. Special mention to Tommy Taylor for a great save and Luke Charman for a very taken goal. They were the crucial moments in a game that was short on goalmouth incidents.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:12 pm

A brilliant display by all the Darlo players.

I got a cracking view of our goal, it was Gabbiadiniesque in it's execution :clap: :clap:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:17 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:01 pm
Well done to all the lads today for giving a really hard working performance and sticking to the task so well. Shows what we can do as we have beaten the top 2 teams in the league.
Somehow we look a better team when Ellis is in defence and to be fair to AA I think he got the selection and tactics bang on today. Special mention to Tommy Taylor for a great save and Luke Charman for a very taken goal. They were the crucial moments in a game that was short on goalmouth incidents.
Agree with that, also I thought Wheatley was outstanding today, been out for awhile so a great comeback, in fact right across the team they all deserve the plaudits 👍

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:45 pm

For the first half, with a fresh Wheatley, we more than matched them across the pitch. We stopped one of the highest scoring teams from putting the ball in the net, thanks to a brilliant save by Taylor & solid defence. Ran out of steam against the full-timers in 2nd half & needed a bit of luck to take all 3 points. The 1302 who braved the weather were treated to our best performance this season so far. Hope this is a turning point & if repeated, will see us push towards the play-offs. Well done, everyone!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:03 pm

Honest and fair assessment from the Fylde boss....

https://www.afcfylde.co.uk/darlington-f ... m-bentley/

I liked the way we did both sides of the game really well today. We passed the ball well and carved out chances in the first half coupled with a fantastic strike. And in the second half we were defensively excellent when on the back foot and restricted them to scraps in front of goal because we were so solid. When they did get a great chance Taylor produced a world class save.

They have got some very good players, who are operating below the level they should be at, and we more than matched them. It bodes well for the rest of the season if we can maintain that level of performance.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:19 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:38 pm
Weather is atrocious but we're playing brilliant 1-0 up, cracker of a goal. Not sure who scored.
Darlo Pete back to his absolute best his first post about a football match starts with the word WEATHER!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:26 pm

Very typical of us. We beat Brackley and Fylde, but lose to sides like Bradford PA and Southport when they were bottom (admittedly they were in a false position but you get my point - they hadn’t won all season when we lost to them).

Thought we were excellent today. Had to hang on at times but then Fylde are one of the best sides in the division.

Hopefully it keeps the “AA has 10 games to save his job” merchants quiet for a few weeks at least.

The key for us in the second half of the season is consistency. String a run of results together and we’ll be up there challenging for a play-off spot. But today’s result is meaningless if we don’t now build on it. We’ve got a tough few games coming up. Spendymore have their two Cup Finals of the season against us, and Gateshead are a very good team for this level.

I do wonder if having a fortnight without a game, where AA can work on the team, particularly defensively, has had its benefits. I also hope Wheatley can keep up the form he showed today, particularly in the first half. It’ll give AA a headache over what to do with Cassidy when he’s back from suspension.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:45 pm

:) As Billy Elliot might have said - the keeper earned his corn. What does that mean actually? Who would be a Darlo fan though? Talk about inconsistent but if the management can turn out a performance like today the right stuff must be there somewhere. I'll be happy to be wrong if we make the play offs. Brilliant outcome today. :angel: :o

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:13 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:26 pm
Very typical of us. We beat Brackley and Fylde, but lose to sides like Bradford PA and Southport when they were bottom (admittedly they were in a false position but you get my point - they hadn’t won all season when we lost to them).

Thought we were excellent today. Had to hang on at times but then Fylde are one of the best sides in the division.

Hopefully it keeps the “AA has 10 games to save his job” merchants quiet for a few weeks at least.

The key for us in the second half of the season is consistency. String a run of results together and we’ll be up there challenging for a play-off spot. But today’s result is meaningless if we don’t now build on it. We’ve got a tough few games coming up. Spendymore have their two Cup Finals of the season against us, and Gateshead are a very good team for this level.

I do wonder if having a fortnight without a game, where AA can work on the team, particularly defensively, has had its benefits. I also hope Wheatley can keep up the form he showed today, particularly in the first half. It’ll give AA a headache over what to do with Cassidy when he’s back from suspension.
If we can find a level of consistency myself and others will be delighted to give AA as long as he wants in charge. No question we are capable of beating anyone in this league when the team are well organised and motivated. Surely a major part of the managers job is to make sure that the team perform at their optimum level as often as possible.
A standard has been set, more of the same please.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:56 am

Followed Loidlucan's link to Jim Bentley's summary & was struck by the number of times he referred to the crowd getting behind Darlo. I am sure if we were top of the league, we would have brought more than 1 coach-full. Nice to see our support was appreciated by AA & the whole team at the end of the game.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:09 am

Stunned by the lack of credit given to AA and his management team , when we are beaten he gets pelters and shouts for him to be sacked!

Yet we turnover a side top of the league and limit them to 2-3 shots on goal and only a couple of comments, everything goes a little quiet

Looks to me like AA got his tactics spot on by bring Wheatley back into the side and strengthening the middle of the park, he then switched to 5 at the back during the game to soak up the pressure the Fylde would undoubtedly have at some point during the game

For me huge credit to AA and his management team , and the players for carrying out the game plan 👏👏👏

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:54 am

Agree that consistency is the key to where our season go,s. The way we pressed Fylde until we tired was exactly what the lower teams do to us to stop us playing and was a fantastic effort across the whole team. Make this the standard and we have enough flair players to win us games.

Difficult to pick anyone out really but personally thought Ellis set the example today and was outstanding. Hope we hold on to Charmen in January as been a while since we had a centre forward who can score a goal out of nothing and his work rate was again outstanding.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:01 am

jjljks wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:56 am
I am sure if we were top of the league, we would have brought more than 1 coach-full.
Had Fylde been a club formed in 1883, based in a town with a population the size of Darlington and had spent the majority of the last 30 years in the Football League I suspect they would have as well.

Building a fan base is not a short term activity.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:12 am

Quakerlad wrote:Agree that consistency is the key to where our season go,s. The way we pressed Fylde until we tired was exactly what the lower teams do to us to stop us playing and was a fantastic effort across the whole team. Make this the standard and we have enough flair players to win us games.

Difficult to pick anyone out really but personally thought Ellis set the example today and was outstanding. Hope we hold on to Charmen in January as been a while since we had a centre forward who can score a goal out of nothing and his work rate was again outstanding.
It’s a good point on Charman as if he went, I’m not sure who scores the goals for us. Cassidy, Rivers, Dos Santos and Lambert are good but don’t offer what Charman brings. Mondal has been disappointing and Nelson’s fitness means you can’t rely on him.

Having said that, I’ll be stunned if Charman is here next season. Bound to get picked up by a higher ranked club sooner rather than later.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:16 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:01 am
jjljks wrote:
I am sure if we were top of the league, we would have brought more than 1 coach-full.
Had Fylde been a club formed in 1883, based in a town with a population the size of Darlington and had spent the majority of the last 30 years in the Football League I suspect they would have as well.

Still a very poor effort from a club targeting the EFL by 2022. Noticed about half a dozen of their fans looking for a bit of trouble at the end of the game near the far exit. They looked about 15 or 16 and clearly thought they were hard cases but would have got eaten alive if anyone could have been bothered with them. Did hear there was a little bit of bother in the corner of the stand earlier in the game but didn’t see anything personally.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:21 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:01 am
jjljks wrote:

But they aren't.
They are a team in a small town with very few fans,very little history and lots of owners money.
The point was that if Darlo were in their position then several busses and probably several hundred supporters would have travelled.
If Darlington had as many visiting fans from all clubs as they take to their grounds. Our average gate would be up by 200 to 300 by the end of the season.. Regardless of where we finish.