Darlington v Fylde

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Fylde

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:25 am

It does sometimes make you wonder what it's all about at Fylde. The chairman has spent millions on the club, they're in the third ground since he's been there, they've had a big, full-time squad for years now and the other week, while top of the league, they pulled in around 850 home fans against Blyth. Yesterday they had a handful of fans, plus a drum. He must sometimes get the feeling that he's dropped a bollock and is just flogging a dead horse.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:50 am

My opinion wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:21 am
lo36789 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:01 am
jjljks wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:56 am
I am sure if we were top of the league, we would have brought more than 1 coach-full.
Had Fylde been a club formed in 1883, based in a town with a population the size of Darlington and had spent the majority of the last 30 years in the Football League I suspect they would have as well.

Building a fan base is not a short term activity.
But they aren't.
They are a team in a small town with very few fans,very little history and lots of owners money.
The point was that if Darlo were in their position then several busses and probably several hundred supporters would have travelled.
If Darlington had as many visiting fans from all clubs as they take to their grounds. Our average gate would be up by 200 to 300 by the end of the season.. Regardless of where we finish.
Exactly my point. Cheers

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:36 pm

Even given our league position we'd have taken a minimum of 300 over to Fylde. But we've always had a great away support.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:10 pm

What a result, did not expect that.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:42 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:10 pm
What a result, did not expect that.
Why not? :roll:

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:46 pm

LoidLucan wrote:It does sometimes make you wonder what it's all about at Fylde. The chairman has spent millions on the club, they're in the third ground since he's been there, they've had a big, full-time squad for years now and the other week, while top of the league, they pulled in around 850 home fans against Blyth. Yesterday they had a handful of fans, plus a drum. He must sometimes get the feeling that he's dropped a bollock and is just flogging a dead horse.
I stood with a couple of their older fans in the first half. He told me they average about 1100. They picked up a lot of disgruntled Blackpool fans during the Olson regime that have now deserted them and gone back now hes gone.

The ground is in the middle of nowhere and not close to any major population centre. Just another millionaires vanity project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:52 pm

But what a ground! We wouldn't complain if we had one like Fylde's.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:56 pm

Great day all round yesterday both for the team and myself as I hadn't witnessed a Darlo victory since we played Solihull in the FA Trophy in January last year!

It boiled down to two pieces of individual brilliance in the end from both Luke Charman and Tommy Taylor, had Taylor not made that worldy save late on it could have been a very different story, if they'd got one they could well have gone on and got another. The lads absolutely worked there socks off from start to finish and they left nothing out there it was gritty, scrappy and ugly at times but in the end it was almost like the perfect away performance at home.

It was a real moral booster with some tough games coming up hopefully we can build on it on boxing day and spoil Jonno and Morley's homecoming party, we haven't seen enough of the Darlo we saw yesterday and had we been as solid defensively as we were against Fylde (who I think will go on and win the league this season) we'd be in a far better position than we are currently but there's no point crying over spilled milk, hopefully this will be a catalyst and we can push on from here.

We are currently only 4 points off a play off place and there is only 7 points between 7th and 17th place, the league is incredibly tight you only have to look at Southport to see how quickly things can turn around, they were bottom when they played us back in October and they are now in the play off places and are now unbeaten in their last 9 games and have won their last 4 consecutively.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:17 pm

I just don't really get the obsession or comparisons with others travelling support ie its a poor effort etc. etc.

We would take more. We are a club with the benefit of years of history which has generated a much larger fan base.

Anyone who commits to follow their sides away deserve credit...but equally those who don't are entitled to do that there are no points for it.

It's possibly understandable when you look at the economics as well. Pretty sure 8 out of the top 10 most deprived wards in the country are in Blackpool ie. the biggest town near Fylde and where as has been said they have to look towards to grow their fan base.

Owner seems happy to have the club as a hobby. The Mill Farm site seems to get new tenants...you can only assume the site is strategically placed it is pretty easy to get to off the M55.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:27 pm

The Fylde massive (small bunch of kids) were outraged at the final whistle when T.T. gave them a two second reply to the 'banter' that they had been dishing out to him for a large part of the game. :D
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:32 pm

lo36789 wrote:I just don't really get the obsession or comparisons with others travelling support ie its a poor effort etc. etc.

We would take more. We are a club with the benefit of years of history which has generated a much larger fan base.

Anyone who commits to follow their sides away deserve credit...but equally those who don't are entitled to do that there are no points for it.

It's possibly understandable when you look at the economics as well. Pretty sure 8 out of the top 10 most deprived wards in the country are in Blackpool ie. the biggest town near Fylde and where as has been said they have to look towards to grow their fan base.

Owner seems happy to have the club as a hobby. The Mill Farm site seems to get new tenants...you can only assume the site is strategically placed it is pretty easy to get to off the M55.
Drove past their ground recently, it is based in Kirkham and approx a couple of hundred yards from the M55.Pretty sure they have Aldi and KFC as tenants amongst others.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:32 am

Drove past their ground recently, it is based in Kirkham and approx a couple of hundred yards from the M55.Pretty sure they have Aldi and KFC as tenants amongst others.

We are literally 100 yards from Route A66, got KDS & had Liddle on the staff🙃

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:29 am

Not sure which one is best to watch, the goal or the save! Might have to watch them again😁.
Both players deserve huge credit for two individual game changing bits of skill.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:04 am

As a fan that was what I wanted to observe everyone in the team putting in a shift working hard, trying to play football and I would have gladly taken a draw. Yes we rode our luck at the end and were blowing a bit but how often have we been on the otherside b0mbarding the goal but just couldn't break them down or managed the game out. If we can hang onto Cooper and possibly Lawlor(but have Storey) after January we have a chance to keep more clean sheets . Really looking forward to the Evenwood Utd games.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:22 am

eddie-rowles wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:04 am
As a fan that was what I wanted to observe everyone in the team putting in a shift working hard, trying to play football and I would have gladly taken a draw. Yes we rode our luck at the end and were blowing a bit but how often have we been on the otherside b0mbarding the goal but just couldn't break them down or managed the game out. If we can hang onto Cooper and possibly Lawlor(but have Storey) after January we have a chance to keep more clean sheets . Really looking forward to the Evenwood Utd games.
If we want to push on its vital that we hang on to Lawlor and Cooper.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg