Why did the keeper earn his corn ?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Why did the keeper earn his corn ?

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:39 pm

Taylors display on Saturday - and earlier games - made me remember Billy Elliot saying 'the keeper earned his corn' after a good game from the goalkeeper. Can anyone say what this means ? He also said of a player waiting for some surgery that he was 'ready for the knife' which is more straightforward, unless you're the player. I'm pretty sure it was John Stalker who mysteriously lost form soon after.
He was a quixotic man in many ways who turned out some decent Quaker teams, but what was he on about with this corn business - any answers ?

joejaques
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Why did the keeper earn his corn ?

Post by joejaques » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:59 pm

Definition of 'earn your corn'
earn your corn
[British]
to be successful and therefore justify the money that has been spent, for example on training
The back four got us through the match. They earned their corn against Middlesbrough and that's why we came off with a win.

Thought this was pretty widely known, certainly was in common use when I was a lad. :roll:

banktopp
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Why did the keeper earn his corn ?

Post by banktopp » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:04 am

Wiseacre wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:39 pm
Taylors display on Saturday - and earlier games - made me remember Billy Elliot saying 'the keeper earned his corn' after a good game from the goalkeeper. Can anyone say what this means ? He also said of a player waiting for some surgery that he was 'ready for the knife' which is more straightforward, unless you're the player. I'm pretty sure it was John Stalker who mysteriously lost form soon after.
He was a quixotic man in many ways who turned out some decent Quaker teams, but what was he on about with this corn business - any answers ?
Back in the day a team of two heavy horses could on average plough 2 acres a day.
When this was achieved they were said to have earned their corn.