Games over festive period

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Games over festive period

Post by onewayup » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:10 pm

With covid variant getting out of control and weather forecasting not good I really hope the festive period games get the go ahead, snow forecast for Christmas day , covid rules not set and could change at a moment's notice ,I hope these games are on,

Old Git

Re: Games over festive period

Post by Old Git » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:11 pm

Will leave the weather forecasting to Pete and he has not yet given his Christmas forecast.
Don’t think Pete is a member of the SAGE Committee so I doubt he will be able to predict the Covid situation but I suspect more restrictions are likely soon after Christmas.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:30 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:11 pm
Will leave the weather forecasting to Pete and he has not yet given his Christmas forecast.
Don’t think Pete is a member of the SAGE Committee so I doubt he will be able to predict the Covid situation but I suspect more restrictions are likely soon after Christmas.
Already behind close doors in Wales, and near enough in Scotland (500 limit). Boris is late to the party again, but sure to catch upafter Christmas. :roll:

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:32 pm

New Years Day game got to be in doubt for spectators.

Hope announcements made soon, so unnecessary money is not wasted, eg catering , programmes etc

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:09 pm

joejaques wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:30 pm
Old Git wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:11 pm
Already behind close doors in Wales, and near enough in Scotland (500 limit). Boris is late to the party again, but sure to catch upafter Christmas. :roll:
Sadly it seems as soon as wee krankie and the mad welsh leader introduce draconian measure the dirty old piece of shyte follows. F00k what they do, should be no more bliddy lockdown with vacines, if he outs them in after xmas may as well make them a yearly thing
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:10 pm

spen666 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:32 pm
New Years Day game got to be in doubt for spectators.

Hope announcements made soon, so unnecessary money is not wasted, eg catering , programmes etc
Same could be said for the whole of hospitality. Order more food and beer and waste it or dont order any and if by some miracle the fat dirty old man is not pressured into more restrictions by the scientist that run this country then they places will run short
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

lsb

Post by lsb » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:14 pm

Can’t let these anti-science remarks pass with comment. Scientists don’t run the country, they provide analysis, to the best of their knowledge on the situation and predictions as to what will happen under various assumptions. Without modern science and technology, medical or otherwise, we would at best be a pre-industrial farming and artisan/merchant based society at the mercy of far worse diseases.
As it happens I really hope that outdoor events like non-league football can be kept going as the scientific evidence around transmission in outdoor settings is that it is massively reduced and it is not a significant contributor to the wave of infection (supposing that keeping down hospital admissions is the goal) balanced against the community benefit of keeping some events going. However I doubt very much such details are considered by the current decision makers in government.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:43 pm

lsb wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:14 pm
Can’t let these anti-science remarks pass with comment. Scientists don’t run the country, they provide analysis, to the best of their knowledge on the situation and predictions as to what will happen under various assumptions. Without modern science and technology, medical or otherwise, we would at best be a pre-industrial farming and artisan/merchant based society at the mercy of far worse diseases.
As it happens I really hope that outdoor events like non-league football can be kept going as the scientific evidence around transmission in outdoor settings is that it is massively reduced and it is not a significant contributor to the wave of infection (supposing that keeping down hospital admissions is the goal) balanced against the community benefit of keeping some events going. However I doubt very much such details are considered by the current decision makers in government.
The taffys and jocks clearly dont share your views on outdoor e events

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:54 pm

My lads just tested positive so trying to avoid him like the plague as dont want to be isolating ( couple of sniffles) Boris piss balling about and now the weather being a potential problem.

Bloody hell, they better win if I come up from Mancland on Boxing Day.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:24 am

lsb wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:14 pm
I think the main reason ffor the ban on outdoor sports is not so much the ground itself, but the congregations in pubs beforehand and on public transport to and from the venues. :roll:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:04 am

I am not sure its as much a case of Sturgeon / Drakeford act and Boris follows. They have access the same SAGE advice, get the same COBRA outcomes...

It is just consistently Boris deliberately waits until the eleventh hour to announce anything. As many have said all this does is cost people as they buy in supplies that end up going to waste.

He doesn't want to impose restrictions which then make people entitles to government support, he would rather the rumour and uncertainty destroyed their business instead so he isn't blamed.

I am waiting for football can go ahead with fans but "clubs must encourage spectators not to attend" which was the stance last time - embarrassing.

The first time was naive, possibly in hope that things would change and it wouldn't be needed, it is now the MO of Boris Johnson. Act late, let everyone else pick up the pieces.

He is utterly spineless.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:03 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:04 am
I am not sure its as much a case of Sturgeon / Drakeford act and Boris follows. They have access the same SAGE advice, get the same COBRA outcomes...

It is just consistently Boris deliberately waits until the eleventh hour to announce anything. As many have said all this does is cost people as they buy in supplies that end up going to waste.

He doesn't want to impose restrictions which then make people entitles to government support, he would rather the rumour and uncertainty destroyed their business instead so he isn't blamed.

I am waiting for football can go ahead with fans but "clubs must encourage spectators not to attend" which was the stance last time - embarrassing.

The first time was naive, possibly in hope that things would change and it wouldn't be needed, it is now the MO of Boris Johnson. Act late, let everyone else pick up the pieces.

He is utterly spineless.
And on top of that - he’s got his nutty brigade of renegade MPs that want him to do even less. They’ve been threatening to oust him if he doesn’t bend to their will.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:49 am

I am not a conservative or a Boris lover. But, let's be right about this.
He is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
I am sure the BBC will already have an interview with someone lined up with an alternative view of whatever he does.
Someone will say he was too slow to react, or too quick with his decision making..
This is the world all over.. No country has got it right.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:35 am

Agree with post above whoever was in power would have a problem as the world has never faced anything like this since the spanish flu.
Hope football does continue but looking 50/50 at the moment.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:57 pm

My opinion wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:49 am
I am not a conservative or a Boris lover. But, let's be right about this.
He is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
I am sure the BBC will already have an interview with someone lined up with an alternative view of whatever he does.
Someone will say he was too slow to react, or too quick with his decision making..
This is the world all over.. No country has got it right.
Bang on mate.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:28 pm

lo36789 wrote:
He is utterly spineless.
I disagree.

I think Boris has shown more bollocks than a certain few and if certain opposition parties had their way we would still be stuck in perpetual restrictions with no way out of them.

I think following the data rather than imposing draconian restrictions as soon as Chris Whitty and his mates at SAGE start flapping is a prudent approach, if the data and SAGE modelling do not match then there should be no need for further restrictions, they are and always should be an absolute last resort.

It's easy for you to sit on an internet forum under the shroud of anonymity that brings and call him spineless but I know for a fact put in his position like myself and many others you would be yet another fine example of the Dunning-Kruger effect and be beyond useless. Patience is waning, as is compliance and it'll be two years in March since the first lockdown began and you have to ask yourself how much more economic and sociological damage we can withstand from yet more scaremongering scientists and rolling lockdowns before a line has to be drawn in the sand and we have to learn to start living with this virus.

If the doors are open on the 28th I will be at the Gateshead game, I've been double jabbed and also had a booster so I'm protected as I'm ever going to be and as far as I'm concerned I've kept my end of the bargain, we were told vaccinations were the way out of this so it's up to the government to keep their end unless this latest variant, which South African health officials have said we've overreacted to is as lethal as it is made out to be.

Just be thankful you will be able to enjoy something close to a normal Christmas this year and spare a thought for those who for a second consecutive year will not be able to celebrate at all.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:58 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:28 pm
lo36789 wrote:
He is utterly spineless.
I disagree.

I think Boris has shown more bollocks than a certain few and if certain opposition parties had their way we would still be stuck in perpetual restrictions with no way out of them.

I think following the data rather than imposing draconian restrictions as soon as Chris Whitty and his mates at SAGE start flapping is a prudent approach, if the data and SAGE modelling do not match then there should be no need for further restrictions, they are and always should be an absolute last resort.

It's easy for you to sit on an internet forum under the shroud of anonymity that brings and call him spineless but I know for a fact put in his position like myself and many others you would be yet another fine example of the Dunning-Kruger effect and be beyond useless. Patience is waning, as is compliance and it'll be two years in March since the first lockdown began and you have to ask yourself how much more economic and sociological damage we can withstand from yet more scaremongering scientists and rolling lockdowns before a line has to be drawn in the sand and we have to learn to start living with this virus.

If the doors are open on the 28th I will be at the Gateshead game, I've been double jabbed and also had a booster so I'm protected as I'm ever going to be and as far as I'm concerned I've kept my end of the bargain, we were told vaccinations were the way out of this so it's up to the government to keep their end unless this latest variant, which South African health officials have said we've overreacted to is as lethal as it is made out to be.

Just be thankful you will be able to enjoy something close to a normal Christmas this year and spare a thought for those who for a second consecutive year will not be able to celebrate at all.
Hallelujah to that👍🏻

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:49 pm

It's the lack of definitive action. It's constant teetering on the edge and basically creating uncertainty.

Remember before the first lockdown "we encourage people to not go to bars" whilst offering no financial support.

Wait until the instruction comes out that football clubs must "actively encourage spectators not to attend".

The government don't have to provide any support as they haven't closed anything down they will just remove all their custom through other means and make them insolvent.

In the same way they bring in restrictions on distance and capacity. Effectively makes businesses uneconomical but as they havent closed them down then they offer no financial support.

On the 21st December "there will be no new restrictions before Christmas". Boxing Day is massive in the hospitality industry do bars and restaurants buy in stock for boxing day when all they have is an assurance that there won't be restrictions before that day.

Some bars, I know decided not to chance it they couldn't risk purchasing stock for a boxing day party because they were concerned that the no restrictions before Xmas message meant restrictions on boxing day. As a result they have now lost one of their biggest trading days of the year.

It's go to work, don't go to work but go to work back all over again.