Spennymoor game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Spennymoor game

Post by poppyfield » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:48 am

Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

JE93

Re: Spennymoor game

Post by JE93 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:16 pm

poppyfield wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:48 am
A message from Brad.

https://spennymoortownfc.co.uk/2021/12/ ... arlington/
I'd like to take it at face value and say credit Mr Groves. But in reality its 2 years too late. They knew they'd made these mistakes on the day, why not apologies after the game. Not 2 years later. As has always been the Spenny way they can't be seen to be the guilty party.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:56 pm

JE93 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:16 pm
poppyfield wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:48 am
A message from Brad.

https://spennymoortownfc.co.uk/2021/12/ ... arlington/
I'd like to take it at face value and say credit Mr Groves. But in reality its 2 years too late. They knew they'd made these mistakes on the day, why not apologies after the game. Not 2 years later. As has always been the Spenny way they can't be seen to be the guilty party.
It's an apology! If you ever want people to accept your apologies then show some maturity and accept theirs.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:05 pm

Better than nothing but I don’t think he need to have said that a small contingent of Darlington fans let the club down with their behaviour. The responsibility for the situation lies entirely at Spennymoor’s door and I did not see any of our fans behaving unreasonably in the circumstances. If you are going to apologise Mr Groves have the good grace to it properly and without reservations.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:50 pm

Could of got a ticket (as a season ticket holder) but I didn’t as I said before on here, I won’t go to that ground again.
Does my memory serve me correctly, hadn’t their stewards been on training courses , wonder if any of them have finally passed?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:11 pm

Old Git wrote:Better than nothing but I don’t think he need to have said that a small contingent of Darlington fans let the club down with their behaviour. The responsibility for the situation lies entirely at Spennymoor’s door and I did not see any of our fans behaving unreasonably in the circumstances. If you are going to apologise Mr Groves have the good grace to it properly and without reservations.
Disagree, I think it’s quite accurate.

Yes Spennymoor got things wrong (which they’ve belatedly admitted) but let’s not pretend all of our fans were perfectly behaved either.

If you think there was no misbehaviour from Darlington fans, then your recollection of that day is sadly wrong.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:47 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:11 pm
Old Git wrote:Better than nothing but I don’t think he need to have said that a small contingent of Darlington fans let the club down with their behaviour. The responsibility for the situation lies entirely at Spennymoor’s door and I did not see any of our fans behaving unreasonably in the circumstances. If you are going to apologise Mr Groves have the good grace to it properly and without reservations.

Yes Spennymoor got things wrong (which they’ve belatedly admitted) but let’s not pretend all of our fans were perfectly behaved either.

If you think there was no misbehaviour from Darlington fans, then your recollection of that day is sadly wrong.
My recollections are quite clear about what I saw as I was standing close by. What I clearly remember is the Spennymoor stewards pushing our supporters back from behind the goal area into an already densely populated area at the side of the pitch. As a result of this a barrier collapsed which could easily have caused injuries, although fortunately no one was seriously hurt. Of course some of our fans resisted the pressing back as they had nowhere to go. The whole episode was ridiculous as there was plenty of room for the home supporters and our fans were already much more tightly packed in.
If you witnessed something different or was involved in something I did not see then please enlighten us on what you experienced.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:33 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:47 pm
Darlogramps wrote:

My recollections are quite clear about what I saw as I was standing close by. What I clearly remember is the Spennymoor stewards pushing our supporters back from behind the goal area into an already densely populated area at the side of the pitch. As a result of this a barrier collapsed which could easily have caused injuries, although fortunately no one was seriously hurt. Of course some of our fans resisted the pressing back as they had nowhere to go. The whole episode was ridiculous as there was plenty of room for the home supporters and our fans were already much more tightly packed in.
If you witnessed something different or was involved in something I did not see then please enlighten us on what you experienced.
Got to agree with Gramps. We have some responsibility for that day. Firstly, the fact that people took it on themselves to stand past the 'pointless' tape that was unmanned. I did see someone move the fence, but when I say this, it was to show his mate how loose it was. It wasn't until later that it gave way. Plenty of goading between BOTH sets of fans as well. But most of what was said could have been contained better.

Fair enough statement and I'm sure it'll be miles better this time around

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:37 pm

It started badly with one turnstile only open and then requiring exact money as they had no change. A gate was wrongly unlocked and several entered without paying indicating a lack of competent stewards. Many did not get in until after kick off. The plastic tape separating fans behind the goal was a joke along with stewarding I spoke to a steward near the dugouts about the barrier moving long before it collapsed and was told to "mind my own business" but not so pleasantly. I gave this info to Spennymoor and Darlington but never got the promised outcome. Yes Darlo fans were pushing back against those stewards pushing older fans back, was a complete disaster.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:51 pm

Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

- Fans getting in without paying (and before you say it, yes the stewarding should have been better, but getting without paying is still a dishonest thing to do).

- Fans being abusive to steward.

- Darlington fans trying to goad Spennymoor supporters and stir up trouble, both inside and outside the ground.

- I saw some of our fans throwing things at Spennymoor fans too.

As I say, I’m not absolving Spennymoor of blame. They managed the whole thing very badly, which Groves has acknowledged and apologised for.

However I do not agree with you saying all the blame lies with them. Our supporters do bear some responsibility for what went on that day. Don’t try to claim everyone was a saint because they weren’t, far from it. And indeed my view has been backed up by D_F_C as well.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:10 pm

Ok Gramps you win the Darlo fans were a disgrace. Enjoy the game on Boxing Day which I am guessing you will be watching in the seats with the Spennymoor fans as you won’t want to stand with the rabble.

Darlogramps

Spennymoor game

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:47 pm

Old Git wrote:Ok Gramps you win the Darlo fans were a disgrace. Enjoy the game on Boxing Day which I am guessing you will be watching in the seats with the Spennymoor fans as you won’t want to stand with the rabble.
Dear me, I was expecting something much more intelligent than that. Once your Chardonnay hangover has worn off, you’ll re-read this and realise you could have come up with a little less desperate.

You’ve lost more face with that embarrassing reply than just holding your hands up and admitting you were wrong.

Good tip for you, leave the partisanship at the door and not everything is an absolute. It is possible for Spennymoor to have managed things badly AND for some of the Darlo lot to have misbehaved of their own accord. Nuance is a wonderful thing.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:41 am

Merry Christmas Gramps 🥂

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:53 am

Brad groves must have forgotten how memorable the last visit was when these clubs last met,
With his statement, Brad groves it was memorable for all the wrong created by your club, with no forethought going into that particular day's game, then your club blatantly trying to squirm out of any responsibly by blaming it all on the Darlington fans, I think it is an attempt to partly apologize but it's to little to late, and yes a small minority of Darlington fans are not angels but the aftermath of fencegate was contemptible on spennymoor towns part.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:56 pm

Time to put the past behind & look forward to this Boxing Day, although for myself will have to rely on Darlo Fans Radio. Hope the lads produce another performance like we did against Fylde.
Got to keep the 2 Jakes for a decent season

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:07 am

jjljks wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:56 pm
Time to put the past behind & look forward to this Boxing Day, although for myself will have to rely on Darlo Fans Radio. Hope the lads produce another performance like we did against Fylde.
Got to keep the 2 Jakes for a decent season
Another performance like we managed against Fylde would very likely see us win, but it all depends which Darlington turns up on the day. Hopefully we can now hit a more consistent run of form to move us up the table in 2022.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:36 am

Is Cassidy back after this game?

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:11 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:36 am
Should be available for the Heed game.Whether he plays or not is a different matter.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:30 am

Emdubya wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:11 am
Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:36 am
Should be available for the Heed game.Whether he plays or not is a different matter.
Has to for me but let’s get Sunday done before we need to think about that.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:47 pm

The most astonishing thing about this Boxing Day game is that Spenny passed up the chance of the money from 500-600 extra Darlo fans and refused requests for extra tickets. There can't be many/any other clubs at this kind of level that would have done that. Most clubs would have milked the game as much as possible and moved heaven and earth to get as many fans into the ground as possible by shuffling things around. It would have made sense to allocate us at least half of the seats behind the goal as well as one side of the ground. I guess income from the game hasn't played a part in deciding the allocations and, put bluntly, they don't need the money.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:24 pm

Hmmm, about £7000 - possibly more.

I'm not going, football should be enjoyable and feel safe - but the events from two years ago were far from that and it has left a bitter taste in my mouth. I wasn't directly involved in the shenanigans but I saw it all unfold and it was unpleasant to see and so avoidable!!

If anyone needs reminding of what happened Beatroute66 wrote a very good and accurate description of events @ 2 Jan 2020. These can be found on the thread "Spennymoor Away' from that time.

I'm sure I will go back to S'moor at some time, maybe for a summer game at some point, but this Sunday, no thanks. :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:59 pm

There has been quite a lot of rain around today and possibly a bit more to come by Boxing Day. I assume that the drainage at the Brewery Field has improved since the work done to improve the pitch and the game will not be in any danger.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:11 pm

Possibly snow on high ground, whether Spennymoor constitutes to be on high ground, is debatable.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:38 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Possibly snow on high ground, whether Spennymoor constitutes to be on high ground, is debatable.
Like old times with the weather forecasts Pete, welcome back.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:05 pm

Anyone got a dog that needs walking around Wood Vue? Google maps says SpennyFC "less busy than usual". Hope it stays that way on Boxing Day for our defence😅

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:15 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:38 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:Possibly snow on high ground, whether Spennymoor constitutes to be on high ground, is debatable.

Ron, I'm there tomorrow with my dad and my 2. Are you there with the little soldier?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:20 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:38 am

Ron, I'm there tomorrow with my dad and my 2. Are you there with the little soldier?
Yes, both got tickets Adam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Post by polarbear » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:03 am

Old Git wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:59 pm
There has been quite a lot of rain around today and possibly a bit more to come by Boxing Day. I assume that the drainage at the Brewery Field has improved since the work done to improve the pitch and the game will not be in any danger.
It will take some waterlogging the pitch at Spennymoor with all the drainage that's been done, the pitch is looking fantastic

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:41 am

polarbear wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:03 am
Old Git wrote:
It will take some waterlogging the pitch at Spennymoor with all the drainage that's been done, the pitch is looking fantastic
Good news let the best team win

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:00 am

polarbear wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:03 am
Old Git wrote:
You forgot to mention the qualified snow clearers