Spennymoor game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Re: Spennymoor game

Post by polarbear » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:04 am

spen666 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:00 am
polarbear wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:03 am
Old Git wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:59 pm
There has been quite a lot of rain around today and possibly a bit more to come by Boxing Day. I assume that the drainage at the Brewery Field has improved since the work done to improve the pitch and the game will not be in any danger.
It will take some waterlogging the pitch at Spennymoor with all the drainage that's been done, the pitch is looking fantastic
You forgot to mention the qualified snow clearers
Qualified snow ❄ clearers on standby

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by spen666 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:21 am

polarbear wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:04 am
spen666 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:00 am
polarbear wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:03 am
Old Git wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:59 pm
There has been quite a lot of rain around today and possibly a bit more to come by Boxing Day. I assume that the drainage at the Brewery Field has improved since the work done to improve the pitch and the game will not be in any danger.
It will take some waterlogging the pitch at Spennymoor with all the drainage that's been done, the pitch is looking fantastic
You forgot to mention the qualified snow clearers
Qualified snow ❄ clearers on standby
Amazing the number & breadth of courses the academy run

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:08 am

If it was my decision I think I would stick to the same starting 11 that played so well against Fylde. Could be a similar type of game with us having to work really hard without the ball and breaking at pace to create chances. Likely Rose Smith and Griffiths will be in contention for starting places but wouldn’t be fair to drop anyone after the latest performance.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:18 pm

I see the matchday car park at Spenny is out of action today due to bad weather. Any recommendations of where to park near the ground?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:50 pm

I usually park in the car park in town centre. Has always been free and barely 10 minutes walk to the ground.
See Gateshead v Blyth off due to waterlogged pitch.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:30 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:08 am
If it was my decision I think I would stick to the same starting 11 that played so well against Fylde. Could be a similar type of game with us having to work really hard without the ball and breaking at pace to create chances. Likely Rose Smith and Griffiths will be in contention for starting places but wouldn’t be fair to drop anyone after the latest performance.
Cooper, Wheatley, Hatfield "all missing for various reasons" states Club site. Not very informative team news.....

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:30 pm

1-0 op Charman scores and we're kicking up the mountain in the first half as well.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:03 pm

With the missing personnel I'd certainly have taken a point beforehand but it's a game we should have won. They very rarely threatened our goal and Tommy Taylor had very little to deal with. Their keeper was the man of the match, making some great saves. Biggest fall-out from the game is losing Charman who should not have lashed out after Curtis got him in a headlock and wrestled him to the ground and, of course, escaped any sort of punishment. The photo showing what Curtis did is particularly damning. An entertaining and incident-packed game in which we played the better football.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:25 pm

Let's take the point, appeal Charman & add any clip we have from QTV that supports our case, move on & crack the Heid.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:34 pm

I wouldn't bother appealing because Charman did seem to lash out and shove Curtis. The ref obviously has deemed that throttling someone with a headlock is perfectly OK.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:43 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:03 pm
With the missing personnel I'd certainly have taken a point beforehand but it's a game we should have won. They very rarely threatened our goal and Tommy Taylor had very little to deal with. Their keeper was the man of the match, making some great saves. Biggest fall-out from the game is losing Charman who should not have lashed out after Curtis got him in a headlock and wrestled him to the ground and, of course, escaped any sort of punishment. The photo showing what Curtis did is particularly damning. An entertaining and incident-packed game in which we played the better football.
Very reasonable assessment. We should have won as we created the better chances and were far and away the better football team. Charman has to learn not to be provoked into taking the law into his own hands but how Curtis escaped without punishment is completely unjust. If the referee missed him grabbing Charman by the neck hauling him down and putting him in a headlock, then why didn’t the linesman intervene. I was stood very close to him and he must have had a clear view. Don’t think an appeal will exonerate Charman but might get Curtis into trouble. Not sure about Thommo’s red card from the angle I was at but seemed a bit harsh.
As for Spennymoor’s management of the occasion it was again an absolute farce. No doubt Gramps will blame Darlington supporters, as will Spennymoor but why didn’t the stewards maintain a gap between supporters. A fence behind the goal 10/15 metres from the corner would have stopped fans facing each other and prevented things being thrown by both sets of fans. Absolutely basic measures could have been put in place to prevent a flashpoint and would have prevented any clash from happening. On a positive note at least the fence didn’t collapse this time.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:28 pm

Wasn't Curtis famously the Boston Strangler?

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=58 ... 9039005665

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:54 pm

Re trouble today,

Ask why Head of Safety from Spennymoor Town remains in post after repeated failures to ensure crowd safety?

Vs Darlo 2 years ago
Vs York City FC this season, & then todays farcical stewarding, especially when fans were segregated today.

He is Unfit for Head of Safety Role

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:21 pm

spen666 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:54 pm
Re trouble today,

Ask why Head of Safety from Spennymoor Town remains in post after repeated failures to ensure crowd safety?

Vs Darlo 2 years ago
Vs York City FC this season, & then todays farcical stewarding, especially when fans were segregated today.

Just as well we only sold tickets to club members and season ticket holders. We will probably only get 10 tickets next season and be confined to the toilet block.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:21 pm

Shocking decision not to at least give Curtis a yellow card, pretty certain he had already been booked which surely tells you the clown in black completely bottled it on purpose.Also on at least 4 occasions the ref was surrounded by Spenny players trying to get cards given to Darlo players whether yellow or red.They really are a horrible bunch and hope they get the reception they deserve on NYD

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:26 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:43 pm
LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:03 pm
Very reasonable assessment. We should have won as we created the better chances and were far and away the better football team. Charman has to learn not to be provoked into taking the law into his own hands but how Curtis escaped without punishment is completely unjust. If the referee missed him grabbing Charman by the neck hauling him down and putting him in a headlock, then why didn’t the linesman intervene. I was stood very close to him and he must have had a clear view. Don’t think an appeal will exonerate Charman but might get Curtis into trouble. Not sure about Thommo’s red card from the angle I was at but seemed a bit harsh.
As for Spennymoor’s management of the occasion it was again an absolute farce. No doubt Gramps will blame Darlington supporters, as will Spennymoor but why didn’t the stewards maintain a gap between supporters. A fence behind the goal 10/15 metres from the corner would have stopped fans facing each other and prevented things being thrown by both sets of fans. Absolutely basic measures could have been put in place to prevent a flashpoint and would have prevented any clash from happening. On a positive note at least the fence didn’t collapse this time.
I bet that Gramps will probably give his opinion and I'd bet it'll be similar to mine. There were faults on both sides again. You can't truly believe that all of our fans in that stadium today went for a good time with no intention to cause issue. Plenty were happy to kick off. Not nearly enough stewards/security company again. Should have been a bigger distance between the fans. Not sure what started it and heard differing opinions.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:29 pm

Re the actual game.

I'd say we were marginally the better side overall. 3 saves and 2 close misses in the second half. Spenny got in close a couple of times, but don't remember Taylor having to make a save. Pen looked debatable, but would like to see again. Getting a point away to a promotion hopeful with Hatfield, Wheatley, Cassidy, Cooper and Nelson all missing

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Post by polarbear » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:30 pm

spen666 wrote:
Re trouble today,

Vs Darlo 2 years ago

Who is Head of safety, a lot of genuine Spennymoor fans were denied entry because they didn't know a season ticket holder, absolutely disgraceful

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:53 pm

polarbear wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:30 pm
spen666 wrote:
Re trouble today,

Vs Darlo 2 years ago

Who is Head of safety, a lot of genuine Spennymoor fans were denied entry because they didn't know a season ticket holder, absolutely disgraceful
Peter Storey

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:16 pm

spen666 wrote:
Re trouble today,

Vs Darlo 2 years ago

Looks like every reason I decided not to bother going occurred.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:18 am

JasonDeVos wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:16 pm
spen666 wrote:
Re trouble today,

Vs Darlo 2 years ago

Looks like every reason I decided not to bother going occurred.
TBH security wasn’t brilliant but there were dick heads from both sets of fans.

uncovered
Site Admin

Spennymoor game

Post by uncovered » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:45 am

Trouble wise it was handbags that lasted two minutes. All totally avoidable though by having police or even more than one steward in the section between the stand and the concrete plinth we were allocated to stand on.

As soon as bricks were thrown from outside the ground into the Darlo fans then a reaction was bound to occur. Bizarrely police were outside the gate of the ground but the stewards wouldn’t let them in to start with. Once inside there was no issues.

In reality that ground cannot cope with any form of away fans. But no reason why, just poor safety management. I also don’t understand the bad blood some of their fans have towards us, spenny are nothing to me. I like their attempts at creating some type of feature stadium and like their tv screen in the stadium. But they are spennymoor town and I have no history with them other than our rise through the lower leagues.

Two points definitely dropped though yesterday. Spennymoor are really poor and I can’t think of Taylor having a save to make, penalty aside.

The two red cards, maybe the match highlights will change my mind but I thought they were both red, based on the referee. Thompson’s wasn’t malicious but sliding in when not needed and the ref must have deemed him not in control. Would have said a yellow but have seen many a red given. For Charmans, from my position I thought I saw Charman get up and push Curtis in the chest, at that point I said he would get a red card. He did. If he didn’t push him in the chest and was trying to still wriggle free from the wwe fighter Curtis then fair enough. I thought I saw him push he chest. The fact though that Curtis got away with nothing is absolutely a disgrace. I have never seen anything like it and there is no way the ref didn’t see anything. The neck hold went on for over 5 seconds and he literally slammed luke to the floor before tussling with him. It was a nigh on assault. And spenny got a free kick!

Oh and joe Tait, what an awful attitude to football and possibly life. His approach is to try and wind up the opposition through childish comments and then try and get people sent off. Waving imaginary cards at the referee and celebrating a sending off like he has scored a goal. Terrible attitude towards the game. I love a player with a bit of a dark art but this approach, terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:58 am

Sounds like Spennymoor Town still can't organise a game. If they are serious about getting to the Football League, they will have to get used to coming across decent sized followings where there are a minority of idiots attached - it's the reality of football at a decent level. We have a minority of idiots who follow us, but so do Spennymoor Town, whether they want to admit it or not (and considering their media output would put North Korea to shame, I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to admit it).

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:18 am

uncovered wrote:Trouble wise it was handbags that lasted two minutes. All totally avoidable though by having police or even more than one steward in the section between the stand and the concrete plinth we were allocated to stand on.

As soon as bricks were thrown from outside the ground into the Darlo fans then a reaction was bound to occur. Bizarrely police were outside the gate of the ground but the stewards wouldn’t let them in to start with. Once inside there was no issues.

In reality that ground cannot cope with any form of away fans. But no reason why, just poor safety management. I also don’t understand the bad blood some of their fans have towards us, spenny are nothing to me. I like their attempts at creating some type of feature stadium and like their tv screen in the stadium. But they are spennymoor town and I have no history with them other than our rise through the lower leagues.

Two points definitely dropped though yesterday. Spennymoor are really poor and I can’t think of Taylor having a save to make, penalty aside.

The two red cards, maybe the match highlights will change my mind but I thought they were both red, based on the referee. Thompson’s wasn’t malicious but sliding in when not needed and the ref must have deemed him not in control. Would have said a yellow but have seen many a red given. For Charmans, from my position I thought I saw Charman get up and push Curtis in the chest, at that point I said he would get a red card. He did. If he didn’t push him in the chest and was trying to still wriggle free from the wwe fighter Curtis then fair enough. I thought I saw him push he chest. The fact though that Curtis got away with nothing is absolutely a disgrace. I have never seen anything like it and there is no way the ref didn’t see anything. The neck hold went on for over 5 seconds and he literally slammed luke to the floor before tussling with him. It was a nigh on assault. And spenny got a free kick!

Oh and joe Tait, what an awful attitude to football and possibly life. His approach is to try and wind up the opposition through childish comments and then try and get people sent off. Waving imaginary cards at the referee and celebrating a sending off like he has scored a goal. Terrible attitude towards the game. I love a player with a bit of a dark art but this approach, terrible.

I could be wrong but if police are outside the ground then they don’t have to pay. But there is a cost for police inside the ground

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:19 am

One aspect of this has so far been overlooked and that is the selling of alcohol to be consumed on the terraces while the game is in progress. I thought there was a rule which prevented alcohol being drunk when the game is in progress at NLN level but clearly can’t be the case.
Not sure exactly when the outside bars closed but someone said yesterday that the police had closed the bar in the away section after trouble flared up. If the match was such a high security game that it was deemed necessary to make it all ticket and restrict away fans to 600, then was it wise to make alcohol so readily available inside the ground. I know some will argue that not selling it is punishing responsible fans as well as the less responsible but I think it would have been the best thing to do yesterday.
Surely it works much better at Blackwell Meadows where alcohol can only be consumed inside the clubhouse and not brought on to the terraces. It does mean that when we have a segregated match the away fans are prevented from buying alcohol, but they can always go to the pub first.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:31 am

Old Git wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:19 am
One aspect of this has so far been overlooked and that is the selling of alcohol to be consumed on the terraces while the game is in progress. I thought there was a rule which prevented alcohol being drunk when the game is in progress at NLN level but clearly can’t be the case.
Not sure exactly when the outside bars closed but someone said yesterday that the police had closed the bar in the away section after trouble flared up. If the match was such a high security game that it was deemed necessary to make it all ticket and restrict away fans to 600, then was it wise to make alcohol so readily available inside the ground. I know some will argue that not selling it is punishing responsible fans as well as the less responsible but I think it would have been the best thing to do yesterday.
Surely it works much better at Blackwell Meadows where alcohol can only be consumed inside the clubhouse and not brought on to the terraces. It does mean that when we have a segregated match the away fans are prevented from buying alcohol, but they can always go to the pub first.
I’m sure when we moved to Blackwell the RC wanted to sell alcohol around the ground but the DFC decided against it. I’d enjoy a pint in summer but appeal is a lot less when it’s cold.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:55 am

quakersfan wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:31 am
Old Git wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:19 am
I’m sure when we moved to Blackwell the RC wanted to sell alcohol around the ground but the DFC decided against it. I’d enjoy a pint in summer but appeal is a lot less when it’s cold.
I’ll give the same answer every time this “drinks on the terraces” topic comes up.If you can’t go a couple of hours without a pint you have a bit of a problem.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:03 am

Spennymoor are such a strange club. Have all the resources in the world but every time you go there it feels like the place is ran by children, in respect to security and safety of the spectators in the ground.

As mentioned by other people, if they have any serious ambition of playing football league they have a massive amount of work to do off the pitch to make their ground suitable and be able to handle fixtures with decent crowds.

In respect to the game we were the better side and its disappointing we couldn't capitalise on our man advantage. Having said that I think a point is good on the road and we should be feeling confident of beating them at home.
Craig Liddle is God!!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:39 pm

I'm pretty sure most of us enjoy a pint or two and that was evident at Chester -our support was boisterous but well contained by stewards, solid walls and a couple of police officers. The only problem I saw was the wannabee kiddy hooligans on the road after. Fylde a few years ago was a different matter, well contained but more than boisterous. The behaviour in the pub beforehand was impeccable.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:36 pm

The away section is a bad as ours, awful view with so many Darlo fans there.

Will be interesting to see the highlights as didnt think Thomos was a Red and thought Charmans was harsh when you consider he was assaulted.

Thought Darlo played some lovely stuff, good chance of the play offs.