Spennymoor game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Spennymoor game

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:52 pm

Spennymoor's pumped up attitude is only going to get worse with the gruesome twosome now in charge. Personally when games get too nasty and too extreme I find them not enjoyable, the Ramsgate/Darlo match at Heritage Park springs to mind here.

I like to watch sport, not a battle. I wasn't there yesterday but I listened to DFR and the picture our commentator painted of Joe Tait was :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:10 pm

I'll bet the Spennymoor Strangler's not looking forward to his BM date and I can imagine Tait will also be in for a warm reception. Am I right that Charman and Tommo can both play in the rematch?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:31 pm

Yes, as it'll be 6 days. Regarding Charman though, isn't a second straight red in a season 5 matches?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:27 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:31 pm
Yes, as it'll be 6 days. Regarding Charman though, isn't a second straight red in a season 5 matches?
Maybe Charman less likely to leave the club in January if he is suspended. Personally I think he has been a bit unlucky to get 2 red cards as he has been assaulted on both occasions before retaliating. He will have to try harder not to react to the physical treatment but that is not so easy to do when you are being strangled. It is a measure of how well he has done this season that opposition defenders are targeting him and will try roughing him up to stop him playing. Sadly the standard of refereeing in the NLN is so poor that he is not getting much protection from the officials. Curtis was elbowing him in the back throughout the game but kept getting away with it. In the end I just think he lost his head and assaulted Charman.
What an ugly pair Curtis and Tait are at the centre of Spennymoor’s defence.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:41 pm

Did Gabbiadini continually get fouled and roughed up? I can't remember too much rough stuff but it was League 2 I suppose.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:38 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Spennymoor's pumped up attitude is only going to get worse with the gruesome twosome now in charge. Personally when games get too nasty and too extreme I find them not enjoyable, the Ramsgate/Darlo match at Heritage Park springs to mind here.
Can’t remember us ever playing Ramsgate. You mean Ramsbottom, of course.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:14 pm

Just watched the highlights, absolutely shocking refereeing, as said on disgraceful behaviour from Curtis .

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:42 pm

Don’t think much needs to be said, ref is staring straight at it watching Curtis Choke Charman awarding us a free kick and it ends up as spenny freekick, curtis no action and charman sent off.

Also, how did we not get a penalty first half for hand ball, Thompson red card was harsh in my book, penalty was very soft. Ref would be lucky to get 10/100 if I was his assessor.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:43 pm

Yeah the replay is damning. Just embarrassing behaviour. I’d imagine that should be overturned if we appeal it. I don’t think anything Charman does is unreasonable, he’s shoving someone who has him in a stranglehold around his neck.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:43 pm

Wow Charman’s sending off is even harsher than I thought. He is wrestled to the ground and his reaction is really quite restrained. Complete miscarriage of justice. Hopefully the referee will rightly be embarrassed when he sees it. Absolutely incompetent piece of refereeing. Also on a second look I can see why he did give Thommo a red card as he lead with his studs up.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:59 pm

Old Git wrote:Wow Charman’s sending off is even harsher than I thought. He is wrestled to the ground and his reaction is really quite restrained. Complete miscarriage of justice. Hopefully the referee will rightly be embarrassed when he sees it. Absolutely incompetent piece of refereeing. Also on a second look I can see why he did give Thommo a red card as he lead with his studs up.
What the hell was Curtis doing on the ground pretending to be injured when it was him trying to strangle Luke.Looking at the highlights, we should without a doubt have been awarded that pen in the first half.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:13 am

Tim Hickman's excellent photographs of the Curtis/Charman incident are even more damning than the video evidence. Curtis should be held to account for this terrible assault.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:47 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:38 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Spennymoor's pumped up attitude is only going to get worse with the gruesome twosome now in charge. Personally when games get too nasty and too extreme I find them not enjoyable, the Ramsgate/Darlo match at Heritage Park springs to mind here.
Yeah, Ramsbottom - what was I thinking! I hated that match and the way it made me feel, not because we lost though but because of the horror tackle on Scott, the injustice and the awful feeling that seemed to engulf the whole event.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:07 am

Whilst I’m not defending the decision, the choking was the wrong side of the ref and there was no linesman on that side either. Also it’s more on Curtis faking like he’d been punched as it’s very difficult for a ref to see him faking it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:21 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:47 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:38 pm
Yeah, Ramsbottom - what was I thinking! I hated that match and the way it made me feel, not because we lost though but because of the horror tackle on Scott, the injustice and the awful feeling that seemed to engulf the whole event.
Absolutely spot on. Rammy had no intention of trying to play football, just premediated violence to stop us. Spenny seem to have similar tendencies together with Oscar worthy acting and lobbying of officials. Disgraceful.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:02 am

Just watched the highlights and thought I'd share my two pennies worth,

Regarding our penalty shout in the first half had it been given it would have been very harsh to say the least, miscontrolled the ball with his head and the ball may have brushed his arm slightly but there was no intent there so no penalty IMO, with regards to Spennymoor's penalty it was very soft indeed Taylor felt the contact (which was minimal at best) with Ellis and went down and unfortunately managed to con the ref.

Thommo's red card also looked harsh it seemed like a genuine attempt to win the ball and it appears he did get a foot on it but took a bit of Kallum Griffiths in the process a booking would have sufficed for me but obviously the referee deemed it as dangerous. As for the Charman/Curtis incident I'm just at a loss, how Curtis has escaped without punishment there I'll never know although it may be a controversial point of view for some as far as I'm concerned they both should have been sent off Curtis quite literally wrestles with him and has him in a headlock whilst Charman clearly retaliates.

Out of principle, I do think we should appeal as the referee has got it completely wrong even if it means Charman's red card isn't overturned Curtis should at least be brought to book for his behavior. It was a bit of a shame that happened as it seemed we were on top towards the end and we were knocking on the door, however it might only be a point but it's a good point and one that I'd have taken before the match, it also should speak volumes for our performance that Spennymoor had to resort to thuggery and the "dark arts" to get anything out of the game.

No time to dwell on it though, we've got another tough game against an in form Gateshead today.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:16 am

You seem to be suggesting that Charman was guilty of violent conduct. Do you really believe that having seen this?

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:46 am

Charman does no more than push Curtis in the back in an effort to get clear of what was a pretty ugly assault. If that kind of push is worthy of a red card then every corner at every football match should produced a hat full of red cards as the shoving that goes on there is frequently more violent than what Charman did to Curtis.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:56 am

I have watched the incident 6 times charman was assaulted by curtis fact, charman pushes curtis to try to clear himself from curtis, curtis goes down as if a tank had felled him conning the referee who was immediately got at by Tait imitating a punch was thrown by charman really poor actions from a so call footballer to another player, curtis should be band for his actions. Ref should take a step back from the game for a few weeks and retrain, pathetic performance from all officials.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:57 am

VIOLENT CONDUCT. Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:13 am

en passant wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:46 am
Charman does no more than push Curtis in the back in an effort to get clear of what was a pretty ugly assault. If that kind of push is worthy of a red card then every corner at every football match should produced a hat full of red cards as the shoving that goes on there is frequently more violent than what Charman did to Curtis.
Have to agree. At the time I thought Charman must have reacted more vigorously than in fact he did. I would argue that his shove on Curtis is minimal and he is simply trying to get away from the situation. Curtis is at fault 3x in my opinion.
1. He wins the ball but blatantly hauls Charman to the ground.
2. Whilst on the ground he holds him in a headlock.
3. He then feigns a head injury that is completely unjustified.
All 3 of these offences are worthy of a yellow card in their own right. Added to the fact that he is already on a booking, that is 4 yellow card offences. Referee a complete joke and does not even speak to Curtis.
The plus side is that because the referee took no action, I believe retrospect action can be taken to punish Curtis. Presumably the ref will claim he did not see what Curtis did, but only saw the retaliation, thus allowing the incident to be reviewed on appeal. Hope I am correct in my assessment of what will happen.

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:33 am

The referee didn't see it. Mmmmmmmmm :think: :think:

You can see from the still above and in the highlights that the referee did see it as a foul by Curtis as he is pointing in the direction of a foul for us and is whistling to give us that.

I thought that at the time at the game and the pictures confirm it. He was giving us a free kick.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:39 am

Old Git wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:13 am
en passant wrote:
Have to agree. At the time I thought Charman must have reacted more vigorously than in fact he did. I would argue that his shove on Curtis is minimal and he is simply trying to get away from the situation. Curtis is at fault 3x in my opinion.
All 3 of these offences are worthy of a yellow card in their own right. Added to the fact that he is already on a booking, that is 4 yellow card offences. Referee a complete joke and does not even speak to Curtis.
The plus side is that because the referee took no action, I believe retrospect action can be taken to punish Curtis. Presumably the ref will claim he did not see what Curtis did, but only saw the retaliation, thus allowing the incident to be reviewed on appeal. Hope I am correct in my assessment of what will happen.
I am waiting for our resident defender of all refereeing decisions to come on here and tell you why you are wrong..
Mind, I think you are correct on every point.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:47 am

My opinion wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:39 am
Old Git wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:13 am
en passant wrote:
I am waiting for our resident defender of all refereeing decisions to come on here and tell you why you are wrong..
Mind, I think you are correct on every point.
Yes the all knowing one is very silent.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:34 pm

Let's not forget the spennymoor players actions in this sending off they claimed Charman throws a punch as tait demonstrates several times while getting at the referee with other spennymoor players also having their twopenth.poor judgement from referee as he can clearly be seen blowing for a foul on Charman then changed his mind with spennymoor players surrounding him .
THE REFEREE WAS NOT UPTO THE JOB REQUIRED TODAY.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:46 pm

onewayup wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:34 pm
Let's not forget the spennymoor players actions in this sending off they claimed Charman throws a punch as tait demonstrates several times while getting at the referee with other spennymoor players also having their twopenth.poor judgement from referee as he can clearly be seen blowing for a foul on Charman then changed his mind with spennymoor players surrounding him .
Their manager stated after the game that he new the referee would even it up, it was a clear tactic by Spennymoor players to put pressure on the referee to make sure that it happened.and it worked.
The referee was not smart enough to work that out and succumbed to that pressure..

murtonquakerfan

Post by murtonquakerfan » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:01 pm

JE93 wrote:Image

Don’t think much needs to be said, ref is staring straight at it watching Curtis Choke Charman awarding us a free kick and it ends up as spenny freekick, curtis no action and charman sent off.

Also, how did we not get a penalty first half for hand ball, Thompson red card was harsh in my book, penalty was very soft. Ref would be lucky to get 10/100 if I was his assessor.
I work for a Wrestling Promotion, The Ginger one wouldn't look out of place in our ring

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:32 pm

My opinion wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:46 pm
onewayup wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:34 pm
Their manager stated after the game that he new the referee would even it up, it was a clear tactic by Spennymoor players to put pressure on the referee to make sure that it happened.and it worked.
The referee was not smart enough to work that out and succumbed to that pressure..
"Great win against a spiteful little team who were outfought and fortunately got nothing for their continual bitching and moaning and gamesmanship."

- A Southport fan after their game against Spennymoan in October.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:47 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:02 am

Regarding our penalty shout in the first half had it been given it would have been very harsh to say the least, miscontrolled the ball with his head and the ball may have brushed his arm slightly but there was no intent there so no penalty IMO, with regards to Spennymoor's penalty it was very soft indeed Taylor felt the contact (which was minimal at best) with Ellis and went down and unfortunately managed to con the ref.

Thommo's red card also looked harsh it seemed like a genuine attempt to win the ball and it appears he did get a foot on it but took a bit of Kallum Griffiths in the process a booking would have sufficed for me but obviously the referee deemed it as dangerous. As for the Charman/Curtis incident I'm just at a loss, how Curtis has escaped without punishment there I'll never know although it may be a controversial point of view for some as far as I'm concerned they both should have been sent off Curtis quite literally wrestles with him and has him in a headlock whilst Charman clearly retaliates.

Out of principle, I do think we should appeal as the referee has got it completely wrong even if it means Charman's red card isn't overturned Curtis should at least be brought to book for his behavior. It was a bit of a shame that happened as it seemed we were on top towards the end and we were knocking on the door, however it might only be a point but it's a good point and one that I'd have taken before the match, it also should speak volumes for our performance that Spennymoor had to resort to thuggery and the "dark arts" to get anything out of the game.

No time to dwell on it though, we've got another tough game against an in form Gateshead today.

Watching the highlights I thought our penalty shout looked absolutely nailed on. He seems to lean into the ball and only plays it with his arm.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:56 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:47 pm
quaker4life wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:02 am

Watching the highlights I thought our penalty shout looked absolutely nailed on. He seems to lean into the ball and only plays it with his arm.
Completely agree. You can see this in how sheepishly the offender jogs away.

I think the Spenny pen decision was correct, and only the ginger strangler should have been sent off as I don’t think Thompson’s slide is too bad.