Farsley game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Farsley game

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:58 am

Kidderminster will probably be exhausted from all the goals they are going to score against Farsley tomorrow night.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:01 am

Might be worth giving them a guard of honour in recognition of their FA Cup exploits. Get them feeling mellow and contemplating West Ham ... and then hit them with everything we've got :twisted: ;) :D

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:27 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:48 am
Just watched the goals and they were great, but lets not get ahead of ourselves Farsley looked terrible.

I recognised the ref from previous games at Blackwell - he is clueless.
The same Farsley that recently put 3 past the "the best team we have played at Blackwell this season" and who also held Brackley to a 0-0 at the same venue?
They may have had an off day or maybe we were just too good for them after the first 20 minutes? Why take the glass half empty viewpoint?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:37 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:29 pm
Haha you'd need my password.

Kev's footage might have a different angle and Farsley might not publish the incident...will see tomorrow morning.

Kev's footage is indeed higher resolution, from a slightly higher angle and further to the left and does show that it was indeed a penalty.
Having seen Kevs footage the FA need to be demoting that ref for sheer incompetence. I think the diverting of the ball you mentioned is just a bobble on the awful pitch. Their player was nowhere near it.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:02 pm

loan_star wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:37 pm
I think the diverting of the ball you mentioned is just a bobble on the awful pitch.
Haha agreed it does notably kick up.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:18 pm

After looking at the penalty I go back to my previous statement of what is the point of linesmen. He was on the far side near to where I was stood, but was obviously looking across the line, so had a better angle to view the incident then I did and he still didn't have the bottle to overturn the refs decision.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:26 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:18 pm
After looking at the penalty I go back to my previous statement of what is the point of linesmen. He was on the far side near to where I was stood, but was obviously looking across the line, so had a better angle to view the incident then I did and he still didn't have the bottle to overturn the refs decision.
He is not able to unilaterally overturn a decision though. It's not a question of 'bottle' it's a question of process.

All you have landed on here is a potential situation where a referee 20 yards says "I thought this" and an assistant 35 yards away, looking through two other defenders saying "I thought this".

Why would a referee then decide to overturn his own decision based on assistants perspective who is ultimately less credibly positioned than he is?

That challenge is the referees decision. Every second of every minute of every day of every week a tackle at the far side of the penalty is the referee's to make. If he gets it right or wrong it is entirely on his shoulders.

Darlogramps

Farsley game

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:41 pm

loan_star wrote:
Just watched the goals and they were great, but lets not get ahead of ourselves Farsley looked terrible.

The same Farsley that recently put 3 past the "the best team we have played at Blackwell this season" and who also held Brackley to a 0-0 at the same venue?
They may have had an off day or maybe we were just too good for them after the first 20 minutes? Why take the glass half empty viewpoint?
Let’s not kid ourselves, Farsley are a poor side and I don’t think it’s a “glass half empty viewpoint” to point out that fact.

They also conceded four against Gateshead in that game you referenced. That’s 17 goals they’ve conceded in five matches, a run where they’ve taken one point.

They’re second-bottom having won one game since October.

However, it doesn’t change the fact we played very well. It can be true that we played excellently and Farsley are terrible.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:46 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:26 pm
Darlo_Rob wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:18 pm
He is not able to unilaterally overturn a decision though. It's not a question of 'bottle' it's a question of process.

All you have landed on here is a potential situation where a referee 20 yards says "I thought this" and an assistant 35 yards away, looking through two other defenders saying "I thought this".

Why would a referee then decide to overturn his own decision based on assistants perspective who is ultimately less credibly positioned than he is?

That challenge is the referees decision. Every second of every minute of every day of every week a tackle at the far side of the penalty is the referee's to make. If he gets it right or wrong it is entirely on his shoulders.
It still begs the question of how anyone could possibly judge that it wasn't a penalty and then compound the whole thing by booking someone who had been chopped down. Yes, we all make mistakes and sometimes it's not always clear cut but this just looks a routine decision for the ref to make.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:04 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:46 pm
It still begs the question of how anyone could possibly judge that it wasn't a penalty and then compound the whole thing by booking someone who had been chopped down. Yes, we all make mistakes and sometimes it's not always clear cut but this just looks a routine decision for the ref to make.
Well quite only he knows what view he had / what he thought he saw.

Don't disagree that looking at it it's a penalty and moreso the actions of Rivers aren't overly flamboyant / choreographed which would suggest simulation.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:58 pm

If he didn't have a good view of it, which is likely because two bodies were in the way, then the linesman should come into play. Your previous point about the linesman having to look though other defenders isn't valid because he didn't, his view wasn't obstructed. Also if a linesman can't make a decision from the other side of the pitch, how do they make decisions on corners?

It just seems like there's always an excuse whether the officials are too close, or too far away, or all their views are obstructed. Maybe sometimes they're just incompetent.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:07 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:58 pm
If he didn't have a good view of it, which is likely because two bodies were in the way, then the linesman should come into play. Your previous point about the linesman having to look though other defenders isn't valid because he didn't, his view wasn't obstructed. Also if a linesman can't make a decision from the other side of the pitch, how do they make decisions on corners?
They generally don't if it is the other side.

AR and referee lead each other in with subtle signals below the waist for goal-kicks and corners in order to communicate and ensure that they signal as a team, but yeh corners and goal-kicks on the far side are generally lead by the referee. AR will be responsible for ball crossing the line where it is tight with a vertical signal only and then directionally will be lead by the referee.

The same as throw-ins that are down the other half as well...FWIW.

Assumed people knew this thus the shouts of "make your own decision" on the cases where they are leading one way and then delay to ensure ref is coming with them before signalling...or in the cases where they change and go with the ref.

My pre-match to assistants was to lead me in and let me then decide to take your signal or not. If I am going to go with you I will switch downstairs so we can go together.

On fouls it was don't give anything until you look at me first - if I am not looking at you it's because a foul would be a surprise so don't flag anything, if I am looking at you it's because I think I've missed something. "And you will know I need help because I will look even more confused that I do usually"

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:35 pm

I don't suppose Mr Urwin will be using that video when he's coaching aspiring refs at the Durham FA Centre Of Refereeing Excellence.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:48 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:41 pm
loan_star wrote:

Let’s not kid ourselves, Farsley are a poor side and I don’t think it’s a “glass half empty viewpoint” to point out that fact.

They also conceded four against Gateshead in that game you referenced. That’s 17 goals they’ve conceded in five matches, a run where they’ve taken one point.

However, it doesn’t change the fact we played very well. It can be true that we played excellently and Farsley are terrible.
Of course its a glass half empty viewpoint to focus on the opposition having a bad day rather than saying we played really well after the first 20 mins.
"We won 6-0, yeh but the opposition were shite" rather than "we won 6-0 and made the opposition look shite".
Brackley couldnt break them down and Gateshead won with a very late goal whereas we battered them.

Darlogramps

Farsley game

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:49 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:41 pm
loan_star wrote:

Of course its a glass half empty viewpoint to focus on the opposition having a bad day rather than saying we played really well after the first 20 mins.
"We won 6-0, yeh but the opposition were shite" rather than "we won 6-0 and made the opposition look shite".
Brackley couldnt break them down and Gateshead won with a very late goal whereas we battered them.
I don’t agree with your logic regarding individual matches. Farsley have also lost to bottom of the table AFC Telford this season, one of only two sides to do so. Why are the Brackley and Gateshead results more important than that one?

Individual games can’t be used as a determiner for a team’s quality. Look at us. We’ve beaten AFC Fylde and Brackley, but lost to Bradford PA and failed to beat Blyth or Gloucester, all in the bottom third.

Or look at our defeat to Southport in late October. It looked bad at the time, but they’re now in the play-offs and haven’t lost since, so the result looks a little different with hindsight.

That’s why you have look further at the context and judge the broader trends. And ultimately Farsley are second-bottom, in dreadful form and fighting to avoid relegation. They’re a bad team, and drawing 0-0 with Brackley on one occasion doesn’t change that.

I don’t think PierremontQuaker03 is trying to devalue our win or performance in any way. More pointing out we were playing a poor side, which we were.

To adapt your phrasing, I’d say it was a case of we played very well, Farsley are a s*** team and we made them look that way.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:12 am

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:58 pm

It just seems like there's always an excuse whether the officials are too close, or too far away, or all their views are obstructed. Maybe sometimes they're just incompetent.
Noted three FA jacketed officials with clipboards in the clubhouse before kick off; hopefully they were assessors reporting on the standard of refereeing
Agree it could easily been 3-8 and pleased Syers was not fit to play against us. Enjoyed game stood with two Goole fans and impressed with our away following (were expecting a smaller crowd).
Fingers crossed we can put a run together and not bemoaning another hammering next week.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:23 pm

Just watched the highlights, looking at the state of the pitch they may as well have played on Tommy Crooks park and there was certainly some Sunday League defending from Farsley.

You can't take anything away from the lads though, you can only beat what's in front of you and we were clinical in the end there were some moments of individual brilliance from KDS, Jarret Rivers and Jack Lambert plus it was also good to see Ty O'Neill get off the mark.

Tough test on Saturday against Kiddy (who funnily enough just beat Farsley tonight) so lets hope it's more than just a flash in the pan.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly