Fans Forum Postponed

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakerste
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Fans Forum Postponed

Post by quakerste » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:18 pm

Personally think it's more to do with waiting for the transfer window to close and knowing where we are with Charman rather than the ground.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:43 pm

beatroute66 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:31 pm
Everyone hold their horses! I'll share Chris Stockdale's tweet from earlier today:

"No one should be reading anything into forum date move and any land/ground announcement. Far more mundane reasons for date change."

Doesn't mean that good work isn't ongoing in the background, just that this date change has nothing to do with any land/ground announcements.
Look, at this time of year we need , rumours and speculation, don't you start bringing facts into this :lol:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:12 pm

Imminent announcement of a ground move? Really? How much are we expected to get for Charman?
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:05 pm

No ground news yet, the reason for the fans forum postponement is a lot less exciting unfortunately.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:48 am

poppyfield wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:43 pm
Look, at this time of year we need , rumours and speculation, don't you start bringing facts into this :lol:
If transfer rumours re: Charman, Ty coming back and a 6-0 away win all in one week isn't enough for you, then we've no chance... ;)

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:27 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:45 pm
Are we not bound to a 20 year lease at BM?
I was told it’s 15 years as is the DRFC lease renewal for Blackwell Meadows and the new car park so all leases finish at the same time with DBC. Be great if we could buy DRFC out and develop the whole area as there are all the pitches behind the tin shed as well that could be utilised.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:29 pm

Today, Oxford United have announced plans to move from the Kassam Stadium and build a new ground on edge of Oxford
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59936961

The relevance of this to Darlington is that Oxford are only tenants of the Kassam Stadium and their lease is up in 2026. They will get no money from the Kassam site, so will have to build a new ground from scratch, with no funds from their old site.

The document linked below is from a meeting to be held by Oxford City council who own the land Oxford United want to lease and develop. Reading that gives some clues how they intend to fund the ground..ie sublease part of site for retail and hotel developments. Can't be housing as is Greenbelt land. Also the land currently is used by other clubs, but Oxford will have to rehome them, and pay running costs for new facilities for term of the lease.

I suspect that similar sorts of ideas are being considered for Darlington to get a new ground.

https://tinyurl.com/y59sehys

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:08 am

spen666 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:29 pm
Today, Oxford United have announced plans to move from the Kassam Stadium and build a new ground on edge of Oxford
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59936961

The relevance of this to Darlington is that Oxford are only tenants of the Kassam Stadium and their lease is up in 2026. They will get no money from the Kassam site, so will have to build a new ground from scratch, with no funds from their old site.

The document linked below is from a meeting to be held by Oxford City council who own the land Oxford United want to lease and develop. Reading that gives some clues how they intend to fund the ground..ie sublease part of site for retail and hotel developments. Can't be housing as is Greenbelt land. Also the land currently is used by other clubs, but Oxford will have to rehome them, and pay running costs for new facilities for term of the lease.

I suspect that similar sorts of ideas are being considered for Darlington to get a new ground.

https://tinyurl.com/y59sehys
I know oxford dont own the ground but still Seems a odd move from a adequate ground thats barely 20 year old
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:35 am

We need the council on side, in fact a partnership with the council, to get a new ground. Until the people of Darlington elect some people that actually care about the club this will not happen.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:42 am

shildonlad wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:08 am

I know oxford dont own the ground but still Seems a odd move from a adequate ground thats barely 20 year old

The lease is up on ground in 2026.

Oxford are paying a large amount in rent every year ( £650k -£1.2m pa figures being quoted)

Owner would like them to move so can redevelop site for housing and make a huge profit.

That however is a different issue, it was the note for the council meeting that was of interest as it shows to some degree how Oxford are financing a new ground from a starting point of nothing. Unlike most clubs, they are not selling a ground, nor are they becoming tenants at a purpose built ground on a new development.

The funding needed for a new ground is mind blowing. Given Darlington's financial record over the last 40 years, it is inevitably going to make lenders more wary than they would be lending to say Manchester United.

It took Bishop many years to get a new ground, even after selling the part of Kingsway they owned.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:50 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:35 am
We need the council on side, in fact a partnership with the council, to get a new ground. Until the people of Darlington elect some people that actually care about the club this will not happen.
A good shout.

Charlton Athletic did something along these lines by setting up "The Valley Party" and contesting local elections. This was in support of plans to get Charlton back to The Valley

https://tinyurl.com/y3lb6h66

https://tinyurl.com/y3vnr22e

https://www.castrust.org/2013/07/if-you ... ley-party/

It seems to have been successful for Charlton

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:58 pm

spen666 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:50 am
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:35 am
A good shout.

Charlton Athletic did something along these lines by setting up "The Valley Party" and contesting local elections. This was in support of plans to get Charlton back to The Valley

https://tinyurl.com/y3lb6h66

https://tinyurl.com/y3vnr22e

https://www.castrust.org/2013/07/if-you ... ley-party/

It seems to have been successful for Charlton
Selling the likes of rob lee for good money also helped but i get your point. The valleys now a smart ground, hard to imagine it was once condemmed
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:58 pm

spen666 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:42 am
shildonlad wrote:

Oxford are paying a large amount in rent every year ( £650k -£1.2m pa figures being quoted)

Owner would like them to move so can redevelop site for housing and make a huge profit.

That however is a different issue, it was the note for the council meeting that was of interest as it shows to some degree how Oxford are financing a new ground from a starting point of nothing. Unlike most clubs, they are not selling a ground, nor are they becoming tenants at a purpose built ground on a new development.

The funding needed for a new ground is mind blowing. Given Darlington's financial record over the last 40 years, it is inevitably going to make lenders more wary than they would be lending to say Manchester United.

It took Bishop many years to get a new ground, even after selling the part of Kingsway they owned.
I thought a plan must be in place for the present stadium, would be useless standing empty, no other clubs in area big enough to take it on

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:39 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:58 pm

Selling the likes of rob lee for good money also helped but i get your point. The valleys now a smart ground, hard to imagine it was once condemmed
It wasn't so much the money, it was getting the Council to back the return to Charlton. The Council were not supporting Charlton, hence the fans standing for election to force the Council to look favourably on club or risk losing power.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:51 pm

spen666 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:42 am
shildonlad wrote:

I think a major stumbling block is that there is no real appetite in Darlington for further out-of-town development. There's going to be more demand for Oxford building something with hotels, Darlington doesn't need them out of town. Unless there is some announcement that they're going to build some new treasury offices there, any demand is likely to be for investment in the town centre which is clearly in decline. That doesn't really help the club, unfortunately, there's quite obviously nowhere big enough to hold a ground.

I suspect the most feasible option would be building something else at Blackwell as the council own some of the land around there I believe, and it's a short walk to the town centre. I don't expect anything to change at all in the short to middle term tbh.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:22 pm

https://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/198375 ... gigg-lane/

If only something like this was still an option for Feethams eh?

Pleased for Bury mind!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly