Luke Charmans value

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Luke Charmans value

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:10 am

And as I said, the context surrounding those deals was very different to League 2 now. We’ve had a global financial crisis and a pandemic since then time.

Plus as it later transpired, Houghton’s running of the club was entirely unsustainable. Not many current League Two , if any at all, would be able to spend £100k on a player untested in the EFL.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:52 am

Whilst I agree with a lot of the lower expectations here. However one team possibly interested is Rochdale, manager is Robbie Stockdale who was at our home game v Spenny (he still lives local so could have been just taking in the game). However they have just sold Beesley to Blackpool for an alleged £300k + £100k in add ons.

Now £100k + add-ons for Charman on that basis from Rochdale if they want and need a striker like Charman then it isn't out of the realms of possibility. Again though I think this would mean we have done a very good deal at this stage and history of Charman's career, he is full of massive potential and if he improves as hoped he could play much higher than league two.

In all honesty I don't want to lose Charman but he probably shouldn't be playing at this level too long and it's nice in one sense to actually have this kind of speculation and interest.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:12 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:52 am
Whilst I agree with a lot of the lower expectations here. However one team possibly interested is Rochdale, manager is Robbie Stockdale who was at our home game v Spenny (he still lives local so could have been just taking in the game). However they have just sold Beesley to Blackpool for an alleged £300k + £100k in add ons.
Possibly - though not always that simple.

£300k transfer fee in football doesn't necessarily mean £300k in the bank it might be an asset on the balance sheet only and as we saw with Burn, Ferguson, Heaton and Saunders sales...extra cash doesn't necessarily equate to extra spends!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:24 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:10 am
And as I said, the context surrounding those deals was very different to League 2 now. We’ve had a global financial crisis and a pandemic since then time.
Even if it hadn't my reason to compare was to illustrate the difference in those players to Charman.

Both were in effect proven players from higher levels.

Abbott was pretty much the best striker in the division at the time.

There was other context with Joachim in that it was pretty much entirely engineered by Jon Sotnick. I'm not sure it was evidence of market forces at full play.
Last edited by lo36789 on Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:40 am

darlo reborn wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:50 pm
With that comment above would you like to be his agent old git !!!!
If I was his agent I would tell him to stay put and not consider moving until a Premier League club were willing to pay at least 10 million quid for his services. Oh sorry must have dozed off and been in dreamland again 😴😴😴

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:50 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:12 am
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:52 am
Possibly - though not always that simple.

£300k transfer fee in football doesn't necessarily mean £300k in the bank it might be an asset on the balance sheet only and as we saw with Burn, Ferguson, Heaton and Saunders sales...extra cash doesn't necessarily equate to extra spends!
Well, yes, that is how virtually all transfers involving a fee works, it’s paid in instalments.

Just like any transfer fee we will receive for Charman will be paid to us in instalments.

So you can totally see what Super_Les is saying, Rochdale have received/will be receiving (regardless of how & when it is paid) £300k for a centre-forward, therefore they may have that scope to pay that bit extra (i.e. £100k) for Charman. This obviously wouldn’t be upfront, but neither would be a fee for £50k/£75k either.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:29 pm

Erm...so that is only one aspect of what I said...on each occasion we have sold players recently all it has done is covered a budget deficit / paid off debt.

EFL clubs have, based on what chairmen have said, incurred quite substantial costs and increased their debts due to two covid impacted seasons.

A windfall could get swallowed quite easily depending on the terms of their credit.