Kidderminster Game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Game

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:42 pm

Darlobill wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:13 pm
At the moment we are one step forward two steps back.
Yes we can blame Covid but lots of teams doing better week in weeks out under Covid. Where are we going as a club on the pitch and off the pitch will hopefully be discussed at next forum.
Who is blaming covid?

Sounds like we about matched one of the top sides in the division and were beaten by a late goal...disappointing - yes, unexpected and a step backwards - not for me

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:19 am

I think yesterday proved why we are where we are in the league really. Lacking a cutting edge upfront without Charman and a defensive lapse that cost us right at the end.

We need another centre half to come in (would Singh turn down a fee for Lawlor?) and for Charman to be replaced with a more potent goal threat if, or when, he leaves.

Jacob Hazel has been scoring for fun at Whitby in the league below. He has just signed a new contract until May 2023 (but then again, so did Charman). He is Bradford based so we could possibly offer a better travelling alternative for him and a step up in league.

Cassidy/O’Neill are similar target/hold-up men, with the former not being a huge goal-threat (we all know however the fantastic foil like/dogged work which Cassidy does) and with Rivers not typically being a goal threat either, and Nelson’s injury problems, it leaves a bit of a deficiency in the front 3.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:15 pm

If you'd offered me a point and a clean sheet ahead of the game yesterday I'd have happily taken it, although it was like watching glue set at times I couldn't complain about our performance we more than matched them for much of the 90 minutes on a sticky looking pitch. What did irk me though was Kiddy hardly exerted themselves throughout and we didn't seem to lay a glove on them, also giving Dinanga that kind of space inside our penalty area was absolutely criminal.

On a more positive note though we have what on paper are a good run of fixtures coming up starting away at Telford next week, lets at least try and keep this season alive!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:11 pm

Still a difficult decision upfront for me.
Really like Cassidy and applaud his commitment and work rate but think we see why he is playing at this level, it’s only because he doesn’t score enough goals. For me, you cannot play him on his own with two wide men as nobody picks up his flick ons etc, which he is very good at and he isn’t a Charmen type who can create something himself.

To get the best out of him there surely has to be two up front. It was crying out yesterday for O’Neill to come on alongside him to try something different as we had very little goal threat, but don’t think AA was brave enough with his subs. O’Neill was also lost on his own and barely got a kick.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:22 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:11 pm
Still a difficult decision upfront for me.
Really like Cassidy and applaud his commitment and work rate but think we see why he is playing at this level, it’s only because he doesn’t score enough goals. For me, you cannot play him on his own with two wide men as nobody picks up his flick ons etc, which he is very good at and he isn’t a Charmen type who can create something himself.

To get the best out of him there surely has to be two up front. It was crying out yesterday for O’Neill to come on alongside him to try something different as we had very little goal threat, but don’t think AA was brave enough with his subs. O’Neill was also lost on his own and barely got a kick.
Lambert got on to the end of a very good flick on and sent the ball closer to Barton than the goal despite being in acres of space

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:51 pm

Bemused that Storey got MOTM ahead of Taylor, Rose or Ellis. I was still wondering why when he gave the ball away & they broke away to score.
TBF Kiddie denied us time & space all through the game, not tiring after their FA Cup & midweek games even so, we deserved a point.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:53 am

jjljks wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:51 pm
Bemused that Storey got MOTM ahead of Taylor, Rose or Ellis. I was still wondering why when he gave the ball away & they broke away to score.
TBF Kiddie denied us time & space all through the game, not tiring after their FA Cup & midweek games even so, we deserved a point.
I think it was a sympathetic one

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:32 am

MB86DFC wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:53 am
jjljks wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:51 pm
I think it was a sympathetic one
To be fair to the lad he did play well.
MOTM was announced long before possession was lost due to a misplaced pass..
Also, misplaced passes are part of the game. Any player that never misplaced a pass would not be playing in our league.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:02 am

Storey also involved in the most bizarre incident of the game when he clearly hauled back one of their attackers who still managed to find the back of the net with his shot. Mystifying the referee disallowed the goal and indicated a free kick to Darlington, before changing his mind and instead awarding it to Kidderminster. It looks like we got lucky because there was nothing wrong with the goal and it should have stood. I think we would have been fuming if it was the other way around. Having said that overall I didn’t think the ref had a bad game apart from that incident.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:44 am

:D Yes OldGit we saw this from the far end and were baffled by it. But - I heard the whistle straight after the incident, I heard it clearly at the time the boot hit the ball, so possibly T.T. would have saved it if he'd been activated, he is a good goalie and all that
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:52 am

It hasn't felt like it, but they say bad refereeing decisions even themselves out over the season, the disallowed goal seems like we got one back. It'll interesting Lo's take on it because it appears the ref just got it wrong and would have been in more focus if the game had finished 0-0.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:47 am

That disallowed goal for Kiddy was a disgrace.

On the flip side, they were very lucky to keep 11 men on the pitch when their lad went in high on Hatfield just before half time. Surely that was a red?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:49 am

Re the phantom goal - there wasn't a great deal of aggro with the K'minster players though.

Imagine if we had been playing Spennymoor :roll: Tait would have exploded, the other players would have pushed the ref around and Chandler - well, best not say about him :oops:

After seeing this on the highlights the refs decision is baffling, we were lucky here!
Last edited by theoriginalfatcat on Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm

For what its worth I thought the game was pretty even in terms of possession, but Kidderminster created the better chances. Lambert should have taken a touch instead of hitting first time as he had loads of room. In his post match interview you can clearly hear that Alun does not fancy Storey, and I think Wheatley has gone down the pecking order as well, so I would not be surprised if these two are out along with a few of the other duff signings that Alun has made.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:21 pm

Gateshead are still far and away the best side we have played this season and looked a couple of notches above Kiddy.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:25 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm
For what its worth I thought the game was pretty even in terms of possession, but Kidderminster created the better chances. Lambert should have taken a touch instead of hitting first time as he had loads of room. In his post match interview you can clearly hear that Alun does not fancy Storey, and I think Wheatley has gone down the pecking order as well, so I would not be surprised if these two are out along with a few of the other duff signings that Alun has made.
I can’t see Wheatley going anywhere. He’s one of 4 and we often play 3 in the middle so need the cover. Same with storey, we’re light so even if another is brought in he is cover.

I would like to see another striker, as much as Cassidy does he isn’t a goal scorer.

I expect I’ll be another couple of weeks before we see much movements as league clubs will be waiting until the transfer window closes before agreeing loans, etc.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:41 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:52 am
It'll interesting Lo's take on it because it appears the ref just got it wrong and would have been in more focus if the game had finished 0-0.
I have absolutely no idea, well no idea about one part of it...

At its core Tommy Taylor has done him no favours.

I think he makes the decision to blow the whistle at the point the player appears to have been held and another player makes a challenge - the point where I suppose it appears the initial advantage has gone (he is positioned very centrally and looking down the barrel through players).

I don't think it is definitely a red card due to covering players, lack of control on the ball and distance from goal. I think a red or yellow can be justified really they are individual perspectives.

For me it is a Kiddy free kick and a minimum yellow card for preventing a promising attack.

Taylor's error sort of makes the unexpected happen, reality is in 999/1000 playing an advantage there doesn't lead to any advantage being accrued so can sympathise slightly with it.

If Taylor had heard the whistle and just let it go I don't think there is much to talk about.

I can't explain the initial signal for a defensive free kick.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:12 pm

I doubt Taylor just let it go. I think he just makes a mess of the save and we got extremely lucky. Why the referee initially signaled a free kick to Darlington is a complete mystery.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:36 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:41 pm
Darlo_Rob wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:52 am
It'll interesting Lo's take on it because it appears the ref just got it wrong and would have been in more focus if the game had finished 0-0.
I have absolutely no idea, well no idea about one part of it...

At its core Tommy Taylor has done him no favours.

I think he makes the decision to blow the whistle at the point the player appears to have been held and another player makes a challenge - the point where I suppose it appears the initial advantage has gone (he is positioned very centrally and looking down the barrel through players).

I don't think it is definitely a red card due to covering players, lack of control on the ball and distance from goal. I think a red or yellow can be justified really they are individual perspectives.

For me it is a Kiddy free kick and a minimum yellow card for preventing a promising attack.

Taylor's error sort of makes the unexpected happen, reality is in 999/1000 playing an advantage there doesn't lead to any advantage being accrued so can sympathise slightly with it.

If Taylor had heard the whistle and just let it go I don't think there is much to talk about.

I can't explain the initial signal for a defensive free kick.
It’s genuinely a very poor bit of refereeing. Call it out for what it is.

To say that “Tommy Taylor has done him no favours”, or that “Taylor’s error made the unexpected happen”, is clutching at straws at the finest. It was hardly’s a weak shot and Taylor hardly’s chucked the ball in his own net.

The referee dropped a huge clanger. There is no excuse for not letting it develop, and then he has panicked and signalled for a Darlo free-kick once the ball hit the back of the net. He’s then reversed his original decision, and then compounded the original mistake by not booking Storey for the easiest yellow card a referee will ever have to give.

Seen a lot of poor refereeing decisions over the last 10 years, but that one is definitely up there in the top 3.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:51 pm

I think it's a mess but, if the question is why has he got to that place, what is the process. It is an awful lot easier from your armchair with hindsight and a video replay.

Put it this way if that was a Darlo player felled you and many other would have likely been screaming for a foul not "play advantage ref", equally had the shot gone straight at the keeper or missed the post would you have been saying "fair enough great advantage"? Remember once the shot is taken it cannot be pulled back.

One attacker versus three defenders with the ball barely under control, outside the penalty area isn't normally a fruitful advantage situation to be fair - especially at our level. I can't work out why the whistle doesn't seem to come until a lot later when he looks like he's already blowing it when he comes into view...https://ibb.co/bztPHv1

Of course had he let it play out then no caution would have been correct. The law was changed two years ago to say you can't go back and caution for fouls where an advantage is played unless it is a reckless tackle.
Last edited by lo36789 on Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:34 pm

That disallowed Kidderminster goal was absolutely surreal. There is absolutely nothing there to justify it .

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:27 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:51 pm
I think it's a mess but, if the question is why has he got to that place, what is the process. It is an awful lot easier from your armchair with hindsight and a video replay.

Put it this way if that was a Darlo player felled you and many other would have likely been screaming for a foul not "play advantage ref", equally had the shot gone straight at the keeper or missed the post would you have been saying "fair enough great advantage"? Remember once the shot is taken it cannot be pulled back.

One attacker versus three defenders with the ball barely under control, outside the penalty area isn't normally a fruitful advantage situation to be fair - especially at our level. I can't work out why the whistle doesn't seem to come until a lot later when he looks like he's already blowing it when he comes into view...https://ibb.co/bztPHv1

Of course had he let it play out then no caution would have been correct. The law was changed two years ago to say you can't go back and caution for fouls where an advantage is played unless it is a reckless tackle.
I think you may have missed your true vocation as you would make a typical politician. I can just imagine you waffling on trying to defend Boris as you seem to enjoy defending the indefensible.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:33 pm

Don't get me wrong it's a mess. I do think it's a slightly unfortunate mess. I would suggest that the same situation more often than not (therefore odd are) the ball isn't in the back of the net and there is no fuss.

If he'd blown probs about 1/8 of a second earlier I just think the ball would bounce out towards Ellis.