James Beauchamp

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

James Beauchamp

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:30 am

has gone back to Darlington Town - shame he never got much of a chance.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

eddie-rowles

Re: James Beauchamp

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:04 am

Got 2 minutes on Saturday have no understanding of why he was brought on at that time, not as if we wanted to run down the clock?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:22 am

eddie-rowles wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:04 am
Got 2 minutes on Saturday have no understanding of why he was brought on at that time, not as if we wanted to run down the clock?
Correct and I believe Darlington Town are rather disappointed with what happened on Saturday. They had a top of the table clash with Gateshead Leam Rangers which they lost 3-1. They were expecting James to be available to play for them, but he was wanted by AA to be part of our match day squad. Naturally, the lad was not going to pass up on the opportunity to be involved in the first team.
I don’t know the details of the arrangements between the two clubs but it seems a bit daft to only use him for 2 minutes when he could have had 90mins for Town. It seems reminiscent of a situation a couple of years ago when O’Neill was recalled by Boro for benchwarming duty, when I believe we had an FA Cup tie against Walsall. At the time many of our supporters were critical of Woodgate, while others said he was their player and it was up to them to do what they liked.
I should point out that I am not a spokesperson for and have no connection to Darlington Town.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:08 pm

Think there’s a big difference between us and Darlington Town, and the situation between us and Boro.

Whilst I agree it was frustrating to only see him get 2 mins of the game when we were chasing the game, we did the right thing in recalling him back to the squad irrespective of Darlo Towns league position.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:10 pm

Had Beauchamp ever played for us in a competitive game to that point?

Suspect AA was looking after his interests and having the best squad available he could.

The 2 minutes does almost feel like a sympathy 2 mins but also throwing on a striker at the end is a legitimate last roll of the dice.

Beauchamp himself may have had a frank conversation afterwards that he needs / wants to be playing and has decided to go back to Darlington Town.

Darlogramps

James Beauchamp

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:14 pm

Some people seem to have forgotten that Beauchamp has been playing 5 levels below the National League North.

All well and good complaining about a lack of game time, but if he had been given half an hour or whatever, are we really expecting a lot from someone playing Wearside League football? You could end up doing more harm than good for someone who’s never played at the level before.

Just strikes me that the usual suspects are searching for any stick they can to beat AA with.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:14 pm

For me, the thing that I could not see any sense in at all was bringing him on literally with 2 mins of injury time to play.
Surely we wasted our own time doing it and if AA believed that he was going to influence the game then we do have a problem. As it was, don’t think he even kicked the ball.
O’Neill was pretty awful throughout so why not have given him at least 15/20 mins when we were losing and creating very little.
Only logic to me is that he only gets paid if he sets foot on the pitch? Strange decision for sure.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:25 pm

He must have been o the bench for an emergency that never came however It was a ridiculous substitution. Give him ten minutes at least, or nothing at all. Was it just a box ticking exercise to say that he'd had "a start" for Darlo?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:53 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:25 pm
Was it just a box ticking exercise to say that he'd had "a start" for Darlo?
That's what I wondered tbh give him some game time then let him go. He would have been paid to be in the matchday squad regardless - that's normally how it works.

I do wonder what the response would have been here had we not named a full bench "because James Beauchamp had a crucial Wearside League game".

He was always going to be a bit of a free hit - I am not sure it's even classed as a gamble if you don't stake anything. It hasn't paid off and he goes back to Darlington Town where he can play.