Lol Morgan

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

polam
Team Supported: Darlington

Lol Morgan

Post by polam » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:21 pm

Apologies if I have missed it, but have not seen anything on the sad death of Lol Morgan announced on Friday by Rotherham United (his home town). He can fairly be described as a legend; he was only 35 years old when he managed DFC to the club's first ever Div 3 promotion in 1965/66, an achievement matched only by Cyril Knowles and Brian Little.

https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2022/ ... 1931-2021/

Old Git

Re: Lol Morgan

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:56 pm

After managing Darlington he left to manage Norwich City from 1966/69. What he did after that I have no idea. I am guessing he left football management after that but if anyone knows what happened to him it would be interesting to know.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:39 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:56 pm
After managing Darlington he left to manage Norwich City from 1966/69. What he did after that I have no idea. I am guessing he left football management after that but if anyone knows what happened to him it would be interesting to know.
According to the Eastern Daily Press, after leaving Norwich, where he was succeeded by Ron Saunders:
"Morgan turned down the chance to become manager of Bradford City and never took another managerial job again.
A spell as a scout at Tottenham Hotspur followed before he left football entirely to work as an advertising representative for the Rotherham Advertiser.
After leaving football he worked at Arthur Lee’s Steel in Sheffield before he became a rep for Bass Breweries."

Didn't know he'd played in the League Cup final for Rotherham in 1961, losing to Aston Villa AET over two legs. (Funnily enough another future DFC manager, Peter Madden, played for RUFC in that final too).

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:41 pm

I think Morgan's achiev
ment is so noteworthy because it was just over 40 years on from the legendary Quakers 'push and run' team of the mid-nineteen twenties.
Our manager then was Jack English who is technically our best ever having got us to a fifhteenth finish in division 2. He came back briefly in the 40's but I don't think he's available any more. Hard to imagine that we went down then after being held 2-2 at Feethams by Chelsea.

Feethams 1965

Post by Feethams 1965 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:41 pm

Really sorry to hear about the death of Lol Morgan at the age of ninety. He managed one of the most successful squads we have had and fans were dismayed when he left after the end of the 1966/67 promotion season. Without him at the helm we came straight back down the following year. His team played fast entertaining football and were unlucky to lose 2-0 to Arsenal in the Cup.
RIP Lol Morgan and thanks for the memories.