Luke charman

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Luke charman

Post by onewayup » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:17 pm

There was an awful lot of talk about Luke yesterday, so much contrived that it was difficult to know for sure what is happening at this stage, this next week should get some clear indication as to his future playing plans,

Emdubya

Re: Luke charman

Post by Emdubya » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:37 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:17 pm
There was an awful lot of talk about Luke yesterday, so much contrived that it was difficult to know for sure what is happening at this stage, this next week should get some clear indication as to his future playing plans,
Pointless post of the week.Well done.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:17 pm

Thanks Emdubya.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:55 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:37 pm
onewayup wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:17 pm
Pointless post of the week.Well done.
A bit harsh there

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:32 pm

Sounding like Charman to Rochdale all but confirmed :thumbdown:

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:36 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:32 pm
Sounding like Charman to Rochdale all but confirmed :thumbdown:
Heard the same thing earlier, wasn’t sure how true it was like.

Deserves his chance, so if he does go.. all the best to him :clap:

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:50 am

Rochdale fans are devising new chants as we speak :crazy:

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/ ... 0/4368555/
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:24 am

Rochdale is apparently where he is going and has played his last game for us. Thanks for the memories Luke and good luck with the rest of your career. A million pound move to the Championship in a couple of years would be nice if it means we pocket a nice little earner 😀

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:04 pm

Old Git wrote:Rochdale is apparently where he is going and has played his last game for us. Thanks for the memories Luke and good luck with the rest of your career. A million pound move to the Championship in a couple of years would be nice if it means we pocket a nice little earner Image
If they pay the release clause then there won’t be any future clauses for us, but depends what we agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:40 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:04 pm
Old Git wrote:Rochdale is apparently where he is going and has played his last game for us. Thanks for the memories Luke and good luck with the rest of your career. A million pound move to the Championship in a couple of years would be nice if it means we pocket a nice little earner Image
If they pay the release clause then there won’t be any future clauses for us, but depends what we agree

Really?? We can negotiate forwards surely, otherwise surely no small clubs would ever have 'add ons'.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:07 pm

Probably depends on the terms of the release clause, which could stipulate all sorts - we don't know.

It may only give the buying club permission to speak to the player. It might be £41k (rumoured) with future add-ons.

We can only hope that any clause does give us some kind of opportunity to receive a percentage of any future transfers, or bonus payments for other achievements.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:44 pm

Spyman wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:07 pm
Probably depends on the terms of the release clause, which could stipulate all sorts - we don't know.

It may only give the buying club permission to speak to the player. It might be £41k (rumoured) with future add-ons.

We can only hope that any clause does give us some kind of opportunity to receive a percentage of any future transfers, or bonus payments for other achievements.
I would have faith that DJ and AA will have had enough nouse not to have given Charman a contract that did not allow for a scenario for add-ons to be negotiated in the event of him moving on. After all he was given a new contract last summer to tie him down for 2 years so surely this eventually would have been considered.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:00 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:44 pm
Spyman wrote:

I would have faith that DJ and AA will have had enough nouse not to have given Charman a contract that did not allow for a scenario for add-ons to be negotiated in the event of him moving on. After all he was given a new contract last summer to tie him down for 2 years so surely this eventually would have been considered.
I’m hearing no additional add on clauses

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:02 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:00 pm
Old Git wrote:
Spyman wrote:

That would be rather unfortunate.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:27 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Spyman wrote:

If that’s correct, then that’s an absolute ludicrous decision.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:46 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Who from?

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:08 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Spyman wrote:

This may either be completely correct or utter rubbish, let’s wait and see what happens before any unhelpful speculation

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:00 pm

Without speculation this board would wither and decline!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:12 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:27 pm
Negotiations are a two way thing not a unilateral decision.

Alternate universe we don't agree a new contract when we did with Charman because he doesn't want to agree to our demands for a non-standard release clause (it's hard to bake in anything too complex) as he feels it would be prohibitive in getting a full time move...

Where would that have left us now?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:48 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:12 pm
AndyPark wrote:

Alternate universe we don't agree a new contract when we did with Charman because he doesn't want to agree to our demands for a non-standard release clause (it's hard to bake in anything too complex) as he feels it would be prohibitive in getting a full time move...

We would be getting £40k for him rather than nowt if he decided not to sign the contract he was offered.
Hard to take but £40k is better than nowt for a lad who cost us nothing.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:18 pm

We can't in all good conscience stop the lad from taking his chance of a career in pro football. No guarantees for anyone, so let's wish him all the best and stick any dosh in the future home ground fund.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:00 pm

loan_star wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:48 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:12 pm
AndyPark wrote:

We would be getting £40k for him rather than nowt if he decided not to sign the contract he was offered.
Hard to take but £40k is better than nowt for a lad who cost us nothing.
Exactly. It is what it is.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:52 am

jjljks wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:18 pm
We can't in all good conscience stop the lad from taking his chance of a career in pro football. No guarantees for anyone, so let's wish him all the best and stick any dosh in the future home ground fund.
Home ground fund, have I missed something?

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:46 am

Let’s hope there are sell ons as will be a poor deal for the club if not.

However, thinking back to last summer in the clubs defence. We had a largely untried youngster who at the time kept getting injured, probably didn’t look quite fit enough to play regularly and had not played very many games. Maybe at the time faced with losing his undoubted potential versus maybe getting £40k+ then there was not a lot of choice really.

Let’s hope “rumours “ are wrong as can certainly see him going on to bigger and better things and would be a blow if no benefit to us.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:54 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:46 am
Let’s hope there are sell ons as will be a poor deal for the club if not.

However, thinking back to last summer in the clubs defence. We had a largely untried youngster who at the time kept getting injured, probably didn’t look quite fit enough to play regularly and had not played very many games. Maybe at the time faced with losing his undoubted potential versus maybe getting £40k+ then there was not a lot of choice really.

Let’s hope “rumours “ are wrong as can certainly see him going on to bigger and better things and would be a blow if no benefit to us.
Lets hope they are wrong.
Don’t really follow your reasoning on this one. If as you say Charman was an untried youngster who kept getting injured and lacking the fitness to play regularly, how then did he,or more likely his agent,manage to negotiate a new contract for him that allowed him to leave for peanuts. I understand that we can not hold him back but if he is allowed to leave for £40k with no potential extras it will be daylight robbery and those that have allowed it to happen have been very naive.
Still have faith that our hierarchy have more nouse than to let that happen but I guess we may never know.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:44 am

Old Git wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:54 am
I understand that we can not hold him back but if he is allowed to leave for £40k with no potential extras it will be daylight robbery and those that have allowed it to happen have been very naive.
Hypothetically what if Charman had said well if you won't agree to £40k I'll just take my chances on a free transfer next summer.

Basically one more year guarantee isn't enough for me to risk being prevented from a move because the price is too high for a buyer.

Why would that be naive? We protected our asset by getting him to sign the contract...both parties have their own motivations for what sits in that contract.

It is way too simplistic to just think it was allowed to happen through naivity.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:21 am

lo36789 wrote:
Old Git wrote:
I understand that we can not hold him back but if he is allowed to leave for £40k with no potential extras it will be daylight robbery and those that have allowed it to happen have been very naive.
Hypothetically what if Charman had said well if you won't agree to £40k I'll just take my chances on a free transfer next summer.

Basically one more year guarantee isn't enough for me to risk being prevented from a move because the price is too high for a buyer.

Why would that be naive? We protected our asset by getting him to sign the contract...both parties have their own motivations for what sits in that contract.

It is way too simplistic to just think it was allowed to happen through naivity.
Completely agree.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:26 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:44 am
Old Git wrote:

The point I am trying to make is that on the one hand Charman is described as a young inexperienced rather injury prone striker and yet he is given a new 2 year contract that allows him to leave for a modest fee. We took a chance on his potential and should be able to get a better reward.
Don’t forget last season he did well in cup competitions, mainly against teams from lower leagues eg Tadcaster, City of Liverpool etc. In fact he failed to score a single goal in any NLN games. However, he did show plenty of potential and I think most fans were happy he signed a new deal, which presumably was on better terms for himself and gave him some more security. Surely part of the reason for this was to make sure we would not lose out financially if he did well and attracted the attention of other teams. Personally I think it was a mistake to allow that get out clause, if indeed that was the case. Was Charman really in such a strong position that we had to allow this to happen?
Look at the case of Andrew Nelson in contrast to this one. Of course we took a punt on him knowing he was getting over a long term injury, but we have paid him for the last 5/6 months with virtually nothing in return. It seems the club has to bear the risk and when it pays off like it has with Charman we do not get a big reward.
If the rumours are true about him leaving on the cheap, surely lessons have to be learned for the future. It is fine that we want to be a club that helps young players forge a pathway into the professional game, but we need to be in a position to benefit when this happens, because for every Charman there will be plenty that don’t make it.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:40 pm

Everything on here is pure speculation until the deal is done ,even then it would be for the club to release as much of the deal they feel is necessary and right for the fans to know, that is why they are in trusted positions within the club.David Johnson is a very shrewd businessman and will do the best for the football club of that I'm sure.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:11 pm

onewayup wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:40 pm
Everything on here is pure speculation until the deal is done ,even then it would be for the club to release as much of the deal they feel is necessary and right for the fans to know, that is why they are in trusted positions within the club.David Johnson is a very shrewd businessman and will do the best for the football club of that I'm sure.
Agreed