Luke charman

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Luke charman

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:44 pm

Hope the lad stays injury free & stops picking up red cards. Rochdale is another stepping stone club, so best of luck in making it further up the leagues.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:55 pm

I notice the “Why’s it an undisclosed fee? As a fan-owned club we have a right to know” mob are out in force across social media.

These will be the same fans who don’t attend AGMs or fans’ forums, don’t volunteer, don’t vote in elections and instead spout off on social media about wanting the manager sacked every time we lose a match.

For the avoidance of doubt, being “fan-owned” doesn’t entitle every single supporter to business-sensitive information. Rochdale may not want to reveal the fee. And it may affect our attempts at signing a replacement (by driving up the price if clubs know we’ve got money).

Let’s call it out for what it is, plain nosiness. There’s no need for every fan to know the fee. It’s interesting but nothing more than that.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:56 pm

Spyman wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:10 pm
Old Git wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:55 am
No just a realistic assessment of where we stand. I am happy to keep supporting my team as I have done for 55 years but I know progression under our current ownership model is unlikely. What I personally would like to see is Darlington Football Club regain EFL status at some time in the future. Nothing wrong with that aspiration but in the meantime we will have to just have to live in hope.
Over your 55 years "progress" has been very limited. Aside from the last decade it's been the very occasional promotion (or challenge for), followed by struggle. That was the case under previous ownership models - problem being that on at least 4 occasions, that ownership model nearly resulted in the club going bust.

10 years ago almost to the day we came as close as ever to losing the club and essentially had to start again. Pretty sure that if you'd said to most of us 10 years ago we'll be a stable club playing at the level we're now at, with minimal risk of getting plunged into financial insecurity again because we're generating money through the sustainable source of developing and selling players, we'd have taken that.

Getting back to the Football League might seem attractive, but once you're there what then? Do we constantly yearn for progress at all costs, even if it means risking the clubs future? Or do we accept that we have a team to support and to give the town some identity week after week, season after season? There will always be a ceiling - ours is now a couple of divisions below what it was 20 years ago but at least the floor beneath us is not made of paper.
I doubt we will get back to the FL in the time I have left, but I do not see any point in playing the next game if the AMBITION is not to go as far as we can.
Surely you start every season with the aim of being promoted do you not? If we manage that, great, if not, we go again next season, but again, the aim would be to get promoted.
I do not see how that stops as you go up a level.
I would not want us throwing money at it that we do not have, but if it comes along, great.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:55 pm
I notice the “Why’s it an undisclosed fee? As a fan-owned club we have a right to know” mob are out in force across social media.

These will be the same fans who don’t attend AGMs or fans’ forums, don’t volunteer, don’t vote in elections and instead spout off on social media about wanting the manager sacked every time we lose a match.

For the avoidance of doubt, being “fan-owned” doesn’t entitle every single supporter to business-sensitive information. Rochdale may not want to reveal the fee. And it may affect our attempts at signing a replacement (by driving up the price if clubs know we’ve got money).

Let’s call it out for what it is, plain nosiness. There’s no need for every fan to know the fee. It’s interesting but nothing more than that.
Wow Gramps. We agree 100%.
Well said.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:06 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Wow Gramps. We agree 100%.
Well said.
Yep Gramps on the money again. I don’t think I’ve disagreed with anything he’s said in the last year or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:23 pm

Good luck To Charman, he’s signed a good 2 and half deal, gives him and his family some security for the future, he’s got the chance to fulfill his potential 👍

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:25 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

Quite right. And they really want the figure so they can immediately shout: "We've been ripped off. He's worth twice that. No ambition. Hate fan-owned, we need a rich owner NOW."

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:37 pm

Good luck to Luke Charman, he fully deserves his move.

Now, how do we replace someone that has scored over a third of our goals this season? Jacob Hazel at Whitby hopefully.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:54 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
And it may affect our attempts at signing a replacement (by driving up the price if clubs know we’ve got money).
I recall DJ saying the exact same thing at a fans forum a while ago now (pre covid) it is prudent to keep our cards close to our chests, it would seem some of our fans have forgotten that we are no longer in the dog and duck leagues where we were able to out compete virtually every other club and be able to sign more or less anyone we wanted.

I am sure the money will be reinvested into the playing budget and Alun will find a replacement, naturally it's disappointing to lose Charman but with the transfer fee in the bank and a solid BTB in the summer we may yet come out in a stronger position.

I'm more bothered that we invest whatever amount we received wisely than knowing how much we got.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:13 pm

Wonder if we need a fix to the end of the season Boro would let us have Callum Kavanagh.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:29 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:13 pm
Wonder if we need a fix to the end of the season Boro would let us have Callum Kavanagh.
Would definitely do a job , scored 3 at the weekend for the under 23’s

I’d like a bit of pace up top if we could get it

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:31 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

If the clubs involved wish to keep the fee a secret then it is up to them. Don’t really follow your argument about pushing up the price of a potential replacement as other teams will know we have sold Charman. They may even assume that the fee is higher than it actually was which could work against us.
As for fans being nosey I think that is understandable as we probably all have our own ideas of what we think he is worth. If nobody was interested we wouldn’t have a football club.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:35 pm

Good luck to Luke Charman and his new challenge. Also welcome back jake lawlor ' jake you have a platform to show your talents and prove yourself. Showcase your talents and improve. Good luck both of the lads.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:01 pm

Sad to see Luke go, of course getting in the playoffs now is going to be even tougher now. We’ve struggled for consistency all season, however we’ve unearthed another gem in Jack Lambert. I would like Tyrone to be given a few games now, he is playing for his future and needs to give his career a kickstart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:23 pm

quaker4life, I must disagree that some of our fans have forgotten what league we're in. They're just as thick as pig shite.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:37 pm

Old Git wrote: If the clubs involved wish to keep the fee a secret then it is up to them. Don’t really follow your argument about pushing up the price of a potential replacement as other teams will know we have sold Charman. They may even assume that the fee is higher than it actually was which could work against us.
No football club “assumes” how much a club has made from a transfer. Otherwise you totally knacker your own negotiation and business.

As for not following the argument, maybe you banged your head this morning because it’s pretty easy to follow. If a club knows you have XX thousand pounds in the bank, when you come to negotiate they ask for more.

Look at the problems Newcastle are having with Diego Carlos for example. Sevilla know Newcastle have loads in the bank so are holding out for more money. (OK, not exactly the same scenario but the principle is the same. If a club knows you have money in the bank, they’ll try and squeeze more out of you).

Old Git wrote: As for fans being nosey I think that is understandable as we probably all have our own ideas of what we think he is worth. If nobody was interested we wouldn’t have a football club.
I’ve got nothing wrong with fans being curious.

It’s using the warped logic of “We’re fan-owned so everyone should know business-sensitive information”, that I take issue with. No fan-owned club has ever been run like that. That is not a sensible way of running any sort of business.

Some fans seem to think we’re run like Ebbsfleet were when MyFootballClub.co.uk owned them, where everyone who put anything in was able to help choose the starting XI or decide on transfers.

We’re not and never have been like that. If people want to know the fee, sign up to the DFCSG to get the accounts, or even better, stand for election to the DFCSG board. Get involved and change things if you’re not happy.

It’s much better than some of the lazy keyboard warriors you find on the Tin Shed Facebook group, who would rather criticise everything the club does, safe in the knowledge they have no responsibility at all, because they contribute nothing to the club.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

bga

Post by bga » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:54 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:54 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
And it may affect our attempts at signing a replacement (by driving up the price if clubs know we’ve got money).
I recall DJ saying the exact same thing at a fans forum a while ago now (pre covid) it is prudent to keep our cards close to our chests, it would seem some of our fans have forgotten that we are no longer in the dog and duck leagues where we were able to out compete virtually every other club and be able to sign more or less anyone we wanted.

I am sure the money will be reinvested into the playing budget and Alun will find a replacement, naturally it's disappointing to lose Charman but with the transfer fee in the bank and a solid BTB in the summer we may yet come out in a stronger position.

I'm more bothered that we invest whatever amount we received wisely than knowing how much we got.
I think you hit the nail on the head with your quote "I'm sure the money will be re-invested in the playing budget" that is actually the crucial question for me not the amount involved. Hopefully the Fans Forum shortly will clarify where the funds or part of them are going?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:20 pm

Jesus, what do we want, a breakdown of where each penny will be spent?

The club operates on a model where it puts as much as feasibly possible into the playing/management budget. We elect individuals (that are volunteers) to carry out their roles responsibly, and this includes supporting Alun as much as they can with a competitive budget, but not putting the club at financial risk.

The constant calls of “how much did we get” or “where will this specifically be spent” every-time we sell a player is grinding a bit now. We don’t have an owner taking money out, we don’t pay dividends to shareholders, the board aren’t on commission for every player sold. Transfer fees are declared in our very transparent accounts. Every penny that comes in goes back to directly & indirectly supporting Alun with a competitive budget.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:49 am

Let’s not forget that we’ve not had a cup run this season as we have in prior years which has helped balance the books and the narrative at the start of the season was that the playing budget set would see us run at a sustainable loss (cash reserves from prior season in bank allowed this) before any unexpected revenue ie cup runs and player sales.

Therefore don’t be surprised if we don’t spend a significant amount on replacing Luke. The reality is to have a budget that will challenge the play off places we need to generate these sorts of revenues over the course of a season just to balance the books.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:41 am

divas wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:49 am
Therefore don’t be surprised if we don’t spend a significant amount on replacing Luke. The reality is to have a budget that will challenge the play off places we need to generate these sorts of revenues over the course of a season.
"But B2B..." "What is my B2B money being spent on..." etc. etc

In all seriousness that is my expectation also and you know what there is also a risk / return playoff here.

Spend on a short term fix for this season or hold back and invest in the spine of the squad early for next.

It is getting to the time of year where the big clubs will know whether they are offering players new deals. We could always use it as a try before you sign. Given the duty of care the big clubs have to their academy players not to let them drop off a cliff once released (quite a big thing at the moment) it could be a positive option for a number of parties regardless. We could get someone destined for the EFL once their existing contract runs out for a few months to really show themselves off. Like Nelson in his first stint, Charman or O'Neill.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:08 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Jesus, what do we want, a breakdown of where each penny will be spent?

The club operates on a model where it puts as much as feasibly possible into the playing/management budget. We elect individuals (that are volunteers) to carry out their roles responsibly, and this includes supporting Alun as much as they can with a competitive budget, but not putting the club at financial risk.

The constant calls of “how much did we get” or “where will this specifically be spent” every-time we sell a player is grinding a bit now. We don’t have an owner taking money out, we don’t pay dividends to shareholders, the board aren’t on commission for every player sold. Transfer fees are declared in our very transparent accounts. Every penny that comes in goes back to directly & indirectly supporting Alun with a competitive budget.
This.....100%

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:36 am

Well done Luke on your move.

As for the fans wanting to know what we got, well, like every other fan that puts in at the gate, buys the shirts, B2B, monthly draws etc, no doubt like me you don’t volunteer. You pay your money to allow others to do all the stuff you don’t want to do. As long as they’re not dipping the pot and give me a club to follow every year then I really don’t care about the minutiae of the exact penny from a transfer fee.
I pay them and trust them to do that for me.
Does the white noise brigade demand to know the exact income and expenditure of any business they deal with on a minute by minute basis? Thought not.
They should wind their necks in, trust that the club got the best deal they could, and wait for the accounts to come out.
I’ve not had a problem with the board for a long long time so why start now?
Divvies!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:45 am

For those who were concerned that the fee for Luke was a one off with no potential for future sell on payments, there was a hint in last night's interview with AA that there was more than just the bare fee that was agreed.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:05 am

You're right. Referring to the release clause, AA said: "Obviously we've got stuff that needed to be added on to that."

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:08 am

en passant wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:45 am
For those who were concerned that the fee for Luke was a one off with no potential for future sell on payments, there was a hint in last night's interview with AA that there was more than just the bare fee that was agreed.
Yep.

There was also a pretty clear hint about the position we were in when negotiating Luke's contract. Clearly there wasn't a clause in last year and were therefore able to reject the advances of EFL clubs for him. It doesn't sound like Luke was particularly happy about this and he basically had his head turned.

That would have basically meant carrying a disheartened player for another season until his existing contract ran out.

The compromise was a new contract with a release clause inserted. If we got £40k+ clauses that really isn't far off the £50k+ that I think many hoped for without knowledge of a release clause.

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:20 am

I may be in the minority that thinks we've done really good business on several levels with Charman.

1) By adding an alleged release clause, we were able to retain an extremely talented player for NLN level rather than lose him on a free and guarantee a reasonable income for the club should another club meet it.
2) By incorporating alleged future resale clauses, we were able to protect ourselves for the future in the (in real terms, unlikely) event he is the next Jamie Vardy. (who was significantly more proven).
3) We have advertised to all players without our catchment that we do indeed follow through our promise to showcase them for Football League clubs; both Luke and Harvey Saunders are great examples of this and may be the factor that encourages players to join us rather than for more vibes.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:24 am

Looks like some extra payments are part of the deal which is good news.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:25 am

Charman had at least one offer in the summer to go full time a division above, AA convinced him to stay with us and he would have better opportunities. He wanted to go full time (who blames him) but AA has used his management style/skill to get the best out of Luke and he then had a lot more offers.

Testament to having a good player, a manager who can look after a player whilst having a great relationship, and also a Board/Chairman who look out for the interest of the club, manager and player.

If I was a young player being released by say Newcastle, Sunderland, Boro, Leeds then Darlo certainly look like a club I would like to speak to.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

Far too many people agreeing with DG so I’d like to wholeheartedly disagree…..for no reason whatsoever other than to be contrary…😄

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:10 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:25 am
Charman had at least one offer in the summer to go full time a division above, AA convinced him to stay with us and he would have better opportunities. He wanted to go full time (who blames him) but AA has used his management style/skill to get the best out of Luke and he then had a lot more offers.

Testament to having a good player, a manager who can look after a player whilst having a great relationship, and also a Board/Chairman who look out for the interest of the club, manager and player.

If I was a young player being released by say Newcastle, Sunderland, Boro, Leeds then Darlo certainly look like a club I would like to speak to.
This just shows to me that Luke, AA and the board have all acted very professionally. Each party has conducted themselves well and everyone has come happy (obviously we'd have liked to have kept him but this realistically wasn't going to happen)