Jake Lawlor

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Jake Lawlor

Post by Spyman » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:56 pm

Released by Hartlepool by all accounts.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlopartisan

Re: Jake Lawlor

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:36 pm

Be most welcome back at the club 👍

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:47 pm

He has impressed me whenever I have seen him play.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:02 pm

IMO we need Lawlor more than we need Charman. Hope we can get him back into BM asap.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:33 pm

Signed up for rest of the season 👍

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:51 pm

jjljks wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:02 pm
IMO we need Lawlor more than we need Charman. Hope we can get him back into BM asap.
That has to be one of the daftest comments I’ve seen posted on here 😂😂😂

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:39 pm

Old Git wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:51 pm
jjljks wrote:
AA must be as daft as me then! :wave:

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:26 pm

Great to have Lawlor back. The slight disappointment is that he is only on a contract until the end of the season.

Taylor, Ellis, Lawlor, Hatfield, Rose, Purver, Cassidy; we need to try and build the squad around these next season. A fully fit David Wheater would be a bonus.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:34 pm

jjljks wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:39 pm
Old Git wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:51 pm
jjljks wrote:
AA must be as daft as me then! :wave:
Sorry must have missed the interview where he said he wanted to get rid of Charman and replace him with Lawlor!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:45 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:26 pm
Great to have Lawlor back. The slight disappointment is that he is only on a contract until the end of the season.

Taylor, Ellis, Lawlor, Hatfield, Rose, Purver, Cassidy; we need to try and build the squad around these next season. A fully fit David Wheater would be a bonus.
Yep hoping and expecting AA to start working on next seasons squad a lot earlier than last season, I appreciate it was difficult last summer but we have to be locking down the spine of the team in advance and then adding to it.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:38 am

Darlofan97 wrote:

Agreed. I've seen enough that we ought to be signing him up for a longer spell because like Charman he may turn us another profit. I wonder if we've maybe agreed an option in the contract. Hope so. Welcome back Jake!

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:58 am

Echo the above, great to have Lawlor back, also would like him to sign longer but maybe he is holding out for full time etc

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:40 am

H1987 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:38 am
Darlofan97 wrote:

Agreed. I've seen enough that we ought to be signing him up for a longer spell because like Charman he may turn us another profit. I wonder if we've maybe agreed an option in the contract. Hope so. Welcome back Jake!
Lawlor is 31 this year so has probably already been the best he’s going to get, so any thoughts of sell ons is pie in the sky.Delighted we’ve got him till the end of the season though.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:43 am

H1987 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

I think Lawlor has been ok since he came but I doubt very much he is going to be a player we will turn another profit on. He is not a young goal scorer with bags of potential. He is a decent central defender who turns 31 before the end of the season, so highly unlikely to be on the radar of many other teams.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 am

I get the feeling Lawlor won't be with us next season, I hope he is but I think not.

I am guessing the fact he has received a pay out from Hartlepool and a contract from us, means his wage hasn't dropped at this point. So sensibly from his point of view he will be looking for the best offer and possibly full time football, if he can during the summer.

Maybe we can get somewhere near a good deal for him but listening to his interview, the fact he signed until the end of the season, money situation and full time football - then I think the odds will be against it happening.

Hopefully Wheater can get fit and give us a couple of years, alongside Ellis.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:08 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 am
I am guessing the fact he has received a pay out from Hartlepool and a contract from us, means his wage hasn't dropped at this point.
See I assumed the reason he was released by Hartlepool was to make sure that he wouldn't be contracted when the window closed.

If he did receive a pay-off I guess he has bought himself 4 months to weigh up his options and if he wants to eek another 1 or 2 years of full time football or get himself a secure full time job and play part time.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:47 am

Heaton out wrote:Echo the above, great to have Lawlor back, also would like him to sign longer but maybe he is holding out for full time etc
It may have been us only wanting to give him 6 months.

That gives us time to take a look at Wheater, who is potentially a better option if he's still got 'it'. We probably can't justify going into next season with Ellis, Wheater and Lawlor all on the contracts they'd want, so this means we can make a call in the summer once we see how fit Wheater is.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:50 am

Looking at other news on the central defender front I see that Jake Cooper was back playing for Rotherham reserves this week. I think Brandon Taylor must be back with us after his one-month loan ended at South Shields and the manager who took him there got the push.

I don't think Taylor anticipated he would be coming back this way but I think he only played one game for them. When he signed for them, he said: “I’m over the moon to be here. I know how big the club is and how big the fanbase is, and I’m also well aware about the ambition of the club and where it wants to go, which is very exciting. I’m really happy to be part of that now and just want to help the club get where it wants to be and deserves to be. This very much feels like the right place for me now and as soon as I got the chance to come here I took it with both hands. I can’t wait to get started.” Sounded like he felt that was where his future would be..

Maybe another loan will be on the cards as I can't seem him troubling the first team squad any time soon the way things have panned out.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:28 pm

Beeden to Billingham Town until the end of the season is confirmed now.

That’s the last we’ll see of him I’d imagine, ahead of his inevitable release at the end of the season.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:50 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:43 am
H1987 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

I think Lawlor has been ok since he came but I doubt very much he is going to be a player we will turn another profit on. He is not a young goal scorer with bags of potential. He is a decent central defender who turns 31 before the end of the season, so highly unlikely to be on the radar of many other teams.
Centre backs play a lot longer these days, and the division above has some teams who will doubtless look at the divisions below for next year. If he’s under contract, he can command a fee regardless of his age. I acknowledge not the same as Charman, but still!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:19 pm

H1987 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:50 pm
Old Git wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:43 am
H1987 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Centre backs play a lot longer these days, and the division above has some teams who will doubtless look at the divisions below for next year. If he’s under contract, he can command a fee regardless of his age. I acknowledge not the same as Charman, but still!
I think a dose of reality needs to be applied. Lawlor is nearly 31 and has spent the vast majority of his career in non league football. Personally I think taking him for the rest of the season is the right move for all concerned. It gives AA a suitable period of time to assess the player and decide whether he is going to be a part of the team moving forward. It also gives Lawlor a chance to play regularly and decide whether he wants to stay for longer.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:36 pm

from what Alun is saying Lawler negotiated with Hartlepool to have his contract terminated - so he won't have been paid up for all of his contract - so fair play to the lad - he just wants to get games in until the end of the season. Shows he's got plenty of desire.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:08 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:28 pm
Beeden to Billingham Town until the end of the season is confirmed now.

That’s the last we’ll see of him I’d imagine, ahead of his inevitable release at the end of the season.
Agreed.

He has no opportunity to impress and in reality if he was particularly impressing then Whitby, Marske, Stockton or Shildon would have taken an interest.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:06 pm

Assume that both Lawlor and AA have sensibly agreed till the end of the season with a view to reviewing at the end of the season. If he's enjoying it and no other full time clubs come in then he'll stay. Don't think there's any question that he's a step above what we had at the start of the season. I don't agree with Old Git that he's just been ok, he's been a lot better than that and he wasn't match fit at the start so has been building up as well

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:58 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Beeden to Billingham Town until the end of the season is confirmed now.

I was watching him on Saturday during the pre match warm up routine. He didn’t join in during the keep ball session preferring to stand on the touch line encouraging the others. It was almost as if he was pretending to be a coach. I must say I found it rather baffling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:41 pm

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... arlington/

Apparently Pools playing silly buggers - but very much in character from the man at the top.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:53 pm

Not like Radged Strings to spit his dummy out.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:56 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:06 pm
Assume that both Lawlor and AA have sensibly agreed till the end of the season with a view to reviewing at the end of the season. If he's enjoying it and no other full time clubs come in then he'll stay. Don't think there's any question that he's a step above what we had at the start of the season. I don't agree with Old Git that he's just been ok, he's been a lot better than that and he wasn't match fit at the start so has been building up as well
Agree that he is better than Storey, Beedon and Taylor, but that isn’t really saying a great deal. For me his distribution needs to improve and at times I would like to see him being a bit more aggressive. He is 6 ft 4ins tall and really should be more dominant in the air. Having said that he hadn’t played for a while before he signed for us, and I expect there is more to come from him.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:15 pm

Surely Singh wouldn't go back on his word :D

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:07 pm

No doubt Singh is not a man to have much trust in. However, if we were Poolie fans we might think differently.
Fact 1. Under his leadership Hartlepool have regained their Football League status.
Fact 2. They have progressed to the 1/4 finals of the EFL Cup and are 2 games from Wembley.
Fact 3. They are looking forward to a money spinning FA Cup 4th Round tie at Crystal Palace.