Telford V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Telford V Darlington

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:14 pm

Hang on? We've had a total rebuild.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:18 pm

Yes I will get accused of over reacting again, but getting really fed up with us at moment.

No excuses for AA this time. Like I said yesterday, this team is now full of hugely experienced players yet we deliver performances and discipline like that again today. Won 2 out of last 11 and we show no level of consistency whatsoever and that is a trend of AA,s stewardship of the club.

To play one up front, who is not even a goal scorer, against a team who hasn’t won for months is just another poor tactical decision. I believe that we have a squad full of experienced, decent players who should be doing much much better, but need knocking into a well organised system of playing and he just isn’t doing that. It’s not just todays game, but take Farsley out of it, ( where actually we could easily have been 2-0 down in first 15) when did we actually last play well?

Answers on a postcard.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:20 pm

Oh, and his first comments to Ray will be……….We just didn’t see that coming Ray, we trained well……we are better than that!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:21 pm

Send for a sports psychologist? We know they can perform, so why do they sometimes not perform? Is it something to do with being part time? Is something happening behind the scenes? Did Wheatley fancy a little rest?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:29 pm

Last edited by real_darlo_85 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:30 pm

It may contradict my tone, but I'd be willing to give AA at least another summer purely because I don't know who would be suitable should he step away and he hasn't yet had a full season until this one. Maybe we have to take a step back and be realistic but I think a fans forum is needed at some point to know where we stand and where we want to go as a club. If it is out there that it is all about sustainability and not totally playoffs and promotion then at least the fanbase know and it's up to us to raise what we want to help the club maintain its position in NLN. It may be a turn off for some but at least we can be realistic.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:33 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:03 pm
Nothing to look forward to now. Time for a total rebuild
We cant just keep having rebuilds every season otherwise we will never go anywhere.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:35 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:12 pm
jjljks wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:03 pm
Nothing to look forward to now. Time for a total rebuild
It can only be that now. Start planning for next season...pretty sad when it's only January! :thumbdown:
The big question is who is going to be put in charge of the re-building for next season. Will DJ back AA and allow him a third attempt to do it or will he decide it’s time for a change at the top. If a change is to be made it could come soon, or he may decide to wait until the end of the season, when it might be easier to get someone in. The problem is that if he waits it could have an adverse effect on BTB.
My gut reaction is that DJ will not want to make a change and will support AA in the hope things will improve. If we don’t beat Kettering next week it could be an interesting Fans Forum coming up.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:37 pm

I’d like to rebuild Wheatley’s footballing brain! How many times has he been sent off whilst playing for Darlo?

Anybody ?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:42 pm

Today may only have been the 2nd time after Kiddy away as the last 2 seasons were curtailed by COVID. If the question is how many times has he given referees a chance to send him off, the answer is 37.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:45 pm

I've been very much in the AA in camp to date, but got to say I'm wavering more and more. On paper (before the Charman sale) this was the strongest squad we've had since we've been at this level. But we've never looked like consistent challengers even after we've brought in the likes of Ellis, Cooper and Lawlor. We have plenty of NLN experience (and above) in that team and plenty of talent, but time and time again its meek performances against teams that we should be beating even if we are just a mid table side.

I had no issues with the team played today, as they showed at Farsley they're capable of scoring goals and winning matches. But this isn't the first time this type of result has happened this this season that we've seen it at Southport and Boston.

Turned it off after 3-0 today but no surprises to see it get worse with another couple of goals and a red card. Sounded like players should be refunding any travelling fans after that performance. We'll all keep supporting financially and willing the club on come what may but this result feels very raw right now.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:54 pm

Pointless getting rid of AA now but we need to re assess at the end of the season. Sounds like we downed tools second half. It’s time for Wheatley to go as he has done nothing this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:06 pm

I think we need to be careful about singling out Wheatley for too much personal criticism. The lad has been through a really tough time in his personal life and we need to tread carefully with him. It is correct to say he has not been on top form this season but we know he can be a very decent player on his day. Lets give him a chance to rebuild his career and find his form again before we right him off.
It may be at the end of the season he decides to seek a fresh challenge somewhere else but in the meantime let’s get behind him and give him a chance to find his way.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:12 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:45 pm
I've been very much in the AA in camp to date, but got to say I'm wavering more and more. On paper (before the Charman sale) this was the strongest squad we've had since we've been at this level. But we've never looked like consistent challengers even after we've brought in the likes of Ellis, Cooper and Lawlor. We have plenty of NLN experience (and above) in that team and plenty of talent, but time and time again its meek performances against teams that we should be beating even if we are just a mid table side.

I had no issues with the team played today, as they showed at Farsley they're capable of scoring goals and winning matches. But this isn't the first time this type of result has happened this this season that we've seen it at Southport and Boston.

Turned it off after 3-0 today but no surprises to see it get worse with another couple of goals and a red card. Sounded like players should be refunding any travelling fans after that performance. We'll all keep supporting financially and willing the club on come what may but this result feels very raw right now.
“We’ll all keep supporting financially “

But will we?.At the moment my grandkids account looks more worthy of 30 quid a month.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:18 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:12 pm
JE93 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:45 pm
We'll all keep supporting financially and willing the club on come what may but this result feels very raw right now.
“We’ll all keep supporting financially “

But will we?.At the moment my grandkids account looks more worthy of 30 quid a month.
More worthy is a weird take on it. The football club isn't seeking to challenge your grandkids for your affection. End of the day you can spend your money where you want to spend your money.

The football club will effectively settle at the level that it's support warrants - as many have said before. That will be determined quite organically.

If you don't want to support the club anymore because they lose games that says a lot more about you than anything else.

It's a really bad result, but the idea we've gone from "let's push on the playoffs" to "good job only one side goes down" really illustrates the nature of football fans. We are still just terribly inconsistent and our squad still feels a little unbalanced.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:29 pm

It’s amusing seeing people have concern about why should they continue to B2B when the team is so inconsistent yet on another thread people are having a laugh at Raj Singh being tight at Hartlepool.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:33 pm

It's quite simple really, Do you or don't you want to support your team, No,you don't BTB ,yes you do BTB, without it Darlington fc become also rans,your choice, how the club community pull together I will personally always put as much as I can into BTB ,It's a life line it's my club it's my Saturday entertainment whatever the result, I in 2011/12 was at an all time low believing Darlington FC was finished ,I couldn't put monies into saving the club quick enough, I remember the bad days,
But I have a team to support come what may. Onwards and onwards, :thumbup:

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:36 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:33 pm
It's quite simple really, Do you or don't you want to support your team, No,you don't BTB ,yes you do BTB, without it Darlington fc become also rans,your choice, how the club community pull together I will personally always put as much as I can into BTB ,It's a life line it's my club it's my Saturday entertainment whatever the result, I in 2011/12 was at an all time low believing Darlington FC was finished ,I couldn't put monies into saving the club quick enough, I remember the bad days,
But I have a team to support come what may. Onwards and onwards, :thumbup:
:clap:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:57 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:06 pm
I think we need to be careful about singling out Wheatley for too much personal criticism. The lad has been through a really tough time in his personal life and we need to tread carefully with him. It is correct to say he has not been on top form this season but we know he can be a very decent player on his day. Lets give him a chance to rebuild his career and find his form again before we right him off.
It may be at the end of the season he decides to seek a fresh challenge somewhere else but in the meantime let’s get behind him and give him a chance to find his way.
Okay O.G. I will take onboard your POV - I’m unaware of any side issues.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:00 pm

I think it's fair enough for people to be engaged or 'inconsistent' in their reactions when they do so much to support the club. Keeping Quakers going asks a lot so there will be some strong views. Incidentally, I was intrigued by the notion of a team settling 'organically' at its natural level - I can now come to terms with our ups and downs - it will all work out like a referees decisions, nothing you can do about them

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:13 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:00 pm
Incidentally, I was intrigued by the notion of a team settling 'organically' at its natural level
You get the team / level that the fan base pays for. It is as simple as that.

People can respond however they want whether they put money in or not - but their response can be challenged and ridiculed if people like but equally so can that perspective. That's life.

We have a top 10 budget as far as I am aware (with Boost the Budget). One or two places either side of that comes with the territory. I think we are in touching distance and could well achieve it, but we definitely seem to be a hot and cold rather than a steady away.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:42 pm

Armstrong isn’t good enough and has to go, we can’t be good or decent one week then horrendous the week after, he’s a good youth team coach that is good at resurrecting local kids careers & that’s about it… Disgraceful today!
Last edited by Heaton out on Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:47 pm

This result has really made me deeply question Alun and his team for the first time.

We’ve blown hot and cold for quite a while but today is completely unacceptable.

Personally, if this isn’t improved by the end of the season, I’d shake hands and move on.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:24 pm

A lot of people will kneejerk tonight out of anger at a dreadful result, or after they’ve sunk a few jars.

Two weeks ago we were ecstatic at a 6-0 win, so to go from that to “Alun Out” is a bit wild. Calm heads are needed here. Bad results like this can happen and so long as they’re not repeated, we’ll be fine.

I don’t see any logic in AA leaving now. I said at the start of the season it was going to be transitional. Top half with the building blocks in place for a real crack at the play-offs next season would have left me happy, and we’re not a million miles away from that.

The only time we should be sacking AA is if we’re involved in the relegation fight, which to me we’re not. Only one team will go down and there’s definitely more than one team worse than us. This is one low point in a season that’s been generally a bit meh. Some high points, some low points.

However I would say that for AA to continue into next season; between now and the end of the season, there needs to be something to suggest we’ll be with the movers and shakers next season.
We need more consistent performances, winning more games than we have been and just the feel that we’re only a couple of pieces away over the summer. I’d also say AA definitely needs to buy a striker too. Cassidy isn’t a goalscorer and it’s a lot to put on O’Neill, given he’s barely played since September.

Fully accept people will disagree but to me it’s a time for not overreacting, however awful today’s result was, and holding our nerve.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:53 pm

Thing is that each season he has been here is said to be “transitional” for whatever reasons. There comes a point though where we have to see progress. Yes, progress has been made recently with experienced signings but we equally shouldn’t forget the 5/6/7 out on loan because he messed up in signing them not long ago.

We don’t even have a style of play now, it changes all the time as does his formation. Cassidy for all his great commitment isn't and never will be a goal scoring forward yet he continues to play him on his own. Hatfield has been tremendous for us in his true position as a hard running central midfielder yet he plays him as an attacking midfielder and often looks slightly lost. He continues with Rivers every game yet Santos was coming good and scoring at the time he left him out.

In my view, we have players who should get us comfortably in the top 10 or higher but not sure AA (as much as I like the guy, a lot) has the tactical and organisational nous to match.

Yes we can give him more time or make a change and give someone half a season to see what needs to be done ready for next. My worry is that we could be saying the same things in a years time, really hope not.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:57 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:53 pm
Thing is that each season he has been here is said to be “transitional” for whatever reasons.
What season? He still hasn't had a season yet unless I'm mistaken?

I agree with darlogramps in terms of no need to over react.

To be honest I want to see what happens if we actually give a manager a bit of time...and that isn't one summer to build it is 3-5 years to put their stamp on things.

If we are constantly a top half team as that happens then that is sort of ok, but if we still get no closer to threatening the playoffs then that is the time to rethink.
Last edited by lo36789 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:01 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:57 pm
Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:53 pm
Thing is that each season he has been here is said to be “transitional” for whatever reasons.
What season?

He still hasn't had a season yet unless I'm mistaken?
19/20 was pretty close, it was over 75% complete and we don’t look any better now than we did then. I don’t buy all these covid interruption excuses. Every team has had the exact same problems.

We’ve been told we’ve had a playoff budget but never have we looked like a playoff team. We’ve been playing catch up all year due to the poor recruitment over summer

Darlogramps

Telford V Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:05 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Thing is that each season he has been here is said to be “transitional” for whatever reasons. There comes a point though where we have to see progress.
That’s not correct. Maybe his first season where we was removing TW’s dreck and building a new squad of his own.

But in season two I think there was an expectation for us to be more competitive. And both of those seasons were ended early, particularly season two so it’s harder to make any judgements.

Quakerlad wrote: Yes, progress has been made recently with experienced signings but we equally shouldn’t forget the 5/6/7 out on loan because he messed up in signing them not long ago.
Which are the seven he messed up on?

I can only think of Beeden and B.Taylor (and even then I can understand why he signed B.Taylor when he did). Are you really classing Hope and Martin as bad signings, given how young they are?

Who are the seven you’re naming as failed signings this summer?

Quakerlad wrote: We don’t even have a style of play now, it changes all the time as does his formation. Cassidy for all his great commitment isn't and never will be a goal scoring forward yet he continues to play him on his own. Hatfield has been tremendous for us in his true position as a hard running central midfielder yet he plays him as an attacking midfielder and often looks slightly lost. He continues with Rivers every game yet Santos was coming good and scoring at the time he left him out.
Fair points in here, particularly around Hatfield. And I said similar about Cassidy’s goalscoring in the summer when he signed.

I don’t like singling players out but Rivers is so frustrating. Needs to show much more for me. I guess Dos Santos offers less defensively which is why he prefers the tried and tested Rivers. But with Charman gone, Rivers has to step up more than he has in three seasons he’s been here.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:39 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:05 pm
Who are the seven you’re naming as failed signings this summer?
Suspect Mondal is included

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:40 pm

It's hard to believe that we walloped Farsley 2 weeks ago 5-0 & now we get thumped 5-0. I feel really sorry for all the fans that made the longish trip to Telford today. They deserve better & I am now questioning whether Alun is up to the job. We have one of the better budgets in our division & probably the best amongst the non-professional sides. Hopefully Alun will turn things around quickly, as we can't continue along like we are doing at the moment for much longer.