Telford V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Loopingheader
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Telford V Darlington

Post by Loopingheader » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:48 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:19 pm
Spyman wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:00 pm
Loopingheader wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:49 am
Well over 36 hours after that shambles and I've let the emotion subside. For my two-penneth I would definitely stick with Alun - he clearly gets the club and the caution required with funds and the need to develop and sell on in a way many other managers might not. He's also shown he can get his teams playing good football and going on long unbeaten runs which in these league might be all it takes to get into the playoffs. In terms of players he can certainly claim to develop the attackers into better players (Sousa, Charman, Donowa, Lambert) BUT....

I do think a change is required and whilst its nothing personal I'd question DH as his right hand man - For me the assistant needs to complement the manager and cover his deficiencies and I'm not sure we are getting this here - for all the development of attackers you can't say the same for defenders with most standing still and not developing or even worse arguably going backwards; equally the defensive setup even with experienced heads coming in is sorely lacking. Equally the wider tactical nous of the team is often lacking - yes players on the pitch need to be picking this up and leading (and not getting so many red cards!!) but the guidance to adjust things mid match from the side lines often appears lacking, having stood behind the dugouts away at Spenny there was nothing more than fairly basic instructions such as "launch it"!

I wonder if a more experienced assistant could be of real benefit in bringing some new ideas to the club as well as hopefully increasing the hit rate of recruits which at the moment is patchy at best (Breedon, Taylor, Saltmer to name but 3) - I appreciate Alan and Darren clearly know each other well and get on but a different perspective and healthy challenge might be the change we can all see is needed
This is a decent shout if you ask me - I like Armstrong and think there's more to managing a non-league club in our situation than just results on the pitch. You need someone who buys in to the fan-owned element and can engage with the community. These things are arguably as important to a proper community club as just chasing promotion after promotion.

Maybe the coaching set-up is worth looking at. Our squad clearly has some talent and experience. Maybe Armstrong just needs a bit of help in coaxing the best out of it on a consistent basis.
Think this idea of changing the No2 is simply ridiculous. Surely Armstrong and Holloway come as a pair and you keep them both or release them both. Can you imagine DJ telling AA he can stay on as manager but his mate has to go and be replaced by someone else as he needs help. Nobody with an ounce of self respect would tolerate that and I can’t see Armstrong staying under those circumstances.

I agree they are friends but do work partnerships need to be friends and if it can work for top managers who have changed their tried and tested number 2 (I think Sir Alex did this on 3 or 4 occassions for example to freshen up his own thinking) then isnt it worth considering??

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:55 pm

Nobody is saying that AA is a terrible manager, he will win games for sure, it's just that he can't get any consistency out of his players and whatever he tries doesn't seem to work, moreover the same problems keep cropping up. Nothing I've read has persuaded me that he ever will be able to make it work, given that consistent teams are build on solid defences. Solid teams can scrap out a 1-0 win when they play badly rather than getting spanked 3-0 or 4-0. I don't think there is an urgent need to replace AA right now and I'm sure that are managers out there who would do a lot worse. But if the team are under-performing based on the budget, then that's a fail. All managers have a limited time to make things work.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:15 pm

Loopingheader wrote:
Well over 36 hours after that shambles and I've let the emotion subside. For my two-penneth I would definitely stick with Alun - he clearly gets the club and the caution required with funds and the need to develop and sell on in a way many other managers might not. He's also shown he can get his teams playing good football and going on long unbeaten runs which in these league might be all it takes to get into the playoffs. In terms of players he can certainly claim to develop the attackers into better players (Sousa, Charman, Donowa, Lambert) BUT....

I do think a change is required and whilst its nothing personal I'd question DH as his right hand man - For me the assistant needs to complement the manager and cover his deficiencies and I'm not sure we are getting this here - for all the development of attackers you can't say the same for defenders with most standing still and not developing or even worse arguably going backwards; equally the defensive setup even with experienced heads coming in is sorely lacking. Equally the wider tactical nous of the team is often lacking - yes players on the pitch need to be picking this up and leading (and not getting so many red cards!!) but the guidance to adjust things mid match from the side lines often appears lacking, having stood behind the dugouts away at Spenny there was nothing more than fairly basic instructions such as "launch it"!

I wonder if a more experienced assistant could be of real benefit in bringing some new ideas to the club as well as hopefully increasing the hit rate of recruits which at the moment is patchy at best (Breedon, Taylor, Saltmer to name but 3) - I appreciate Alan and Darren clearly know each other well and get on but a different perspective and healthy challenge might be the change we can all see is needed
What's clear is that they have worked together in football management/coaching for years and trust each other and come as a team. Would the board realistically say to AA "we've fully assessed this and decided this is where the problem lies so this is what you have to do". Can't see that happening and I'm not sure that there is hard evidence to show that this is really at the heart of the issue anyway. This is the partnership that got Blyth promoted and took them into the playoffs.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:12 pm

Loopingheader wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:48 pm
I agree they are friends but do work partnerships need to be friends and if it can work for top managers who have changed their tried and tested number 2 (I think Sir Alex did this on 3 or 4 occassions for example to freshen up his own thinking) then isnt it worth considering??
That is AA's decision to make nobody else's. The top man chooses his own backroom team.

It is a non-starter for anyone else to be choosing his backroom staff.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:40 pm

Old Git wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Loopingheader wrote:

This is a decent shout if you ask me - I like Armstrong and think there's more to managing a non-league club in our situation than just results on the pitch. You need someone who buys in to the fan-owned element and can engage with the community. These things are arguably as important to a proper community club as just chasing promotion after promotion.

Maybe the coaching set-up is worth looking at. Our squad clearly has some talent and experience. Maybe Armstrong just needs a bit of help in coaxing the best out of it on a consistent basis.
Think this idea of changing the No2 is simply ridiculous. Surely Armstrong and Holloway come as a pair and you keep them both or release them both. Can you imagine DJ telling AA he can stay on as manager but his mate has to go and be replaced by someone else as he needs help. Nobody with an ounce of self respect would tolerate that and I can’t see Armstrong staying under those circumstances.
Sorry I'm not suggesting Holloway needs replacing, purely that it may be more productive to look at bringing in some extra backroom support to fill skill gaps rather than changing the whole lot and sacking Armstrong.

There's always this belief that a change in manager will bring a positive change in results. It's usually not that simple. Sometimes an extension is better than a house move.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:30 pm

Spyman wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:40 pm
Old Git wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Loopingheader wrote:

Sorry I'm not suggesting Holloway needs replacing, purely that it may be more productive to look at bringing in some extra backroom support to fill skill gaps rather than changing the whole lot and sacking Armstrong.

There's always this belief that a change in manager will bring a positive change in results. It's usually not that simple. Sometimes an extension is better than a house move.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Sorry but do you really think we can/should afford more backroom staff? I don't think that is the answer. The problems are there for all to see. Time for the Players to step up they have to take responsibility. I feel sympathy for AA.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:30 pm

Quote bga “time for the players to step up” -

Too bloody right. Perhaps this particular match, or even just the second half of it should be treated as a one off event. The players out on the pitch were capable and experienced, but for reasons unbeknown to us (and it would seem A.A.) they appeared to simply give up.

I wasn’t at the match, I’ve only watched the lowlights, but here is a question for anybody who went - did any of our players put on a decent display at Telford?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:50 am

Agreed, some responsibility from the players would be nice as well rather than just holding the management to account. These bad results out of nowhere happen far too often, and the mindset and fight just seem to be wrong for certain games. It's very frustrating. I agree with comments highlighting the poor defensive work. It has undoubtedly been a pattern over AA's tenure and needs to change. I don't know the answer but the player turnover has been high again, and I don't think starting the season in disarray helped matters. Backlines benefit from mutual understanding, practice, and time together. At least the keeper situation looks better, but I would suggest the rest of this season ought to be most preoccupied with sorting out the defence and getting things organised so we stop conceding (as many) stupid goals and look more like a unit, rather than players cobbled together. This is especially problematic for a part-time team as our players don't get the same time in training as other sides in the league to build this understanding.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:56 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:30 pm
Quote bga “time for the players to step up” -

Too bloody right. Perhaps this particular match, or even just the second half of it should be treated as a one off event. The players out on the pitch were capable and experienced, but for reasons unbeknown to us (and it would seem A.A.) they appeared to simply give up.

I wasn’t at the match, I’ve only watched the lowlights, but here is a question for anybody who went - did any of our players put on a decent display at Telford?
To be fair in the first half we were confident on the ball, passed it around well and created a few chances. If Charman had been playing
he would have converted a couple. Going in one down at half time I thought we would still have enough to win the game, having made Telford
look like what they were, a team at the bottom of the league. But with that second dreadful goal we gave them the confidence to pass the ball
around and make us look like a bottom of the table team.
I suppose O'Neill tried his best when he came on, but then he should have been on from the start.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:41 am

Agree with the above in regards to Saturday.

I think AA has done a great job at turning the defence around this season, however our lack in some games of a killer instinct allows the opposition to work out we can at times be a bit toothless (without Charman) and go at us. If we score first we do ok, if not we struggle.

The loss of Charman and the fact Nelson has in reality not been part of the squad is where we are now seeing an issue. If Nelson had been the Nelson from 3 years ago, we probably wouldn't be having any issues/questions. Not a dig at the lad but we all know the small gamble has backfired in terms of output, I don't blame AA for taking that risk at the time.

So after spending 3 months sorting the defence and improving midfield, AA now has the problem of sorting our attack out again, maybe this won't happen until summer. We however should still be a lot better than we were on Saturday.

So do people trust AA and team to work on these issues, I wasn't happy after Saturday but not sure the current thought of some of change is the answer.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:10 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:41 am

I think AA has done a great job at turning the defence around this season, however our lack in some games of a killer instinct allows the opposition to work out we can at times be a bit toothless (without Charman) and go at us. If we score first we do ok, if not we struggle.

The loss of Charman and the fact Nelson has in reality not been part of the squad is where we are now seeing an issue. If Nelson had been the Nelson from 3 years ago, we probably wouldn't be having any issues/questions. Not a dig at the lad but we all know the small gamble has backfired in terms of output, I don't blame AA for taking that risk at the time.

So after spending 3 months sorting the defence and improving midfield, AA now has the problem of sorting our attack out again, maybe this won't happen until summer. We however should still be a lot better than we were on Saturday.

So do people trust AA and team to work on these issues, I wasn't happy after Saturday but not sure the current thought of some of change is the answer.
One thing for sure is that we need to see a positive response on the field against Kettering. I imagine some harsh words and home truths to be delivered at training tonight and we need to see that lessons have been learned. I would expect the fans will get behind the lads on Saturday and if they graft and can get a win much will be forgiven. The most frustrating thing is that we can beat Brackley and Fylde and get thumped by the bottom of the league. If we have any aspirations to become a top 7 team we must be able to get results on a regular basis.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:35 pm

He still has my backing but I’d contend the defence isn’t sorted yet. Lawlor is a step in the right direction for sure, but we can’t concede 5 to Telford and be blaming the Charman-less attack.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:45 pm

If Nelson had been fit and was the player he was 3 years ago then I think we'd be top 4. As it is, I trust AA to bring in an effective striker more than I trust him to bring in an effective defender.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:37 pm

Yarblockos wrote:

If Nelson had been fit and was the player he was 3 years ago then I think we'd be top 4. As it is, I trust AA to bring in an effective striker more than I trust him to bring in an effective defender.
I think we’d be no better off as Nelson would be with a league two club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Telford V Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:56 pm

Yarblockos wrote:

That must be quite highly then, as he’s brought in several effective defenders this season.

You do enjoy a good carp, don’t you? No solutions, no constructive suggestions. Just boring old fence sitting.

You won’t commit to backing a replacement because that could backfire. You can’t commit to backing Armstrong because, well you can’t sound off then, can you? So you adopt this middle ground of relentless complaining instead.

It’d be much more fun if you’d actually have a point to make, something to commit to. Instead you whine on incessantly while taking as many positions as you can so you can claim to be right all long.

This below is a perfect example of what I mean:
Yarblockos wrote:Nothing I've read has persuaded me that he ever will be able to make it work, given that consistent teams are build on solid defences. Solid teams can scrap out a 1-0 win when they play badly rather than getting spanked 3-0 or 4-0. I don't think there is an urgent need to replace AA right now and I'm sure that are managers out there who would do a lot worse. But if the team are under-performing based on the budget, then that's a fail. All managers have a limited time to make things work.
You’re not persuaded he will ever be able to make it work (which is disingenuous in itself as you have no intention of being persuaded), yet you see no need to replace him. Those positions aren’t reconcilable. Either you think he is able to make it work, or if he isn’t surely you want him replaced?

After that it’s all non-committal claptrap, vague bullshittery about managers having limited time etc.

Lots of words, lots of whinging, but lots of contradictions and woolly nothingness. There’s no real substance to what you’re saying.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:53 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:56 pm
Yarblockos wrote:

That must be quite highly then, as he’s brought in several effective defenders this season.

You do enjoy a good carp, don’t you? No solutions, no constructive suggestions. Just boring old fence sitting.

You won’t commit to backing a replacement because that could backfire. You can’t commit to backing Armstrong because, well you can’t sound off then, can you? So you adopt this middle ground of relentless complaining instead.

It’d be much more fun if you’d actually have a point to make, something to commit to. Instead you whine on incessantly while taking as many positions as you can so you can claim to be right all long.

This below is a perfect example of what I mean:
Yarblockos wrote:Nothing I've read has persuaded me that he ever will be able to make it work, given that consistent teams are build on solid defences. Solid teams can scrap out a 1-0 win when they play badly rather than getting spanked 3-0 or 4-0. I don't think there is an urgent need to replace AA right now and I'm sure that are managers out there who would do a lot worse. But if the team are under-performing based on the budget, then that's a fail. All managers have a limited time to make things work.
You’re not persuaded he will ever be able to make it work (which is disingenuous in itself as you have no intention of being persuaded), yet you see no need to replace him. Those positions aren’t reconcilable. Either you think he is able to make it work, or if he isn’t surely you want him replaced?

After that it’s all non-committal claptrap, vague bullshittery about managers having limited time etc.

Lots of words, lots of whinging, but lots of contradictions and woolly nothingness. There’s no real substance to what you’re saying.
Oh, that's persuaded me then!

I said there was no need to replace him RIGHT NOW. I don't think he'll make it work but if he does then I'll be persuaded. I'll change my mind if there is evidence. As it is, its pretty pointless to change at this stage in the season so lets see if he can make a case for keeping his job.

If the guy needs six goes to find a decent defender then no, I don't trust him to find an effective defender. We still have one of the worst defensive records in the NLN and just shipped 5 to bottom of the league Telford. So I'm not exactly convinced those defenders are as effective as you think and that our defensive woes are sorted. I don't think Smith is really an improvement on Liddle either.

I'd like to believe AA will turn it around but I'd like to believe in a lot of things.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:34 pm

Having watched the full highlights, even the fourth goal was totally avoidable, following on from needless & petulant challenge by Hatfield on the edge of our own box.

Wheatley’s challenge was a shocker.

I agree with the calls for the players to step up and take some responsibility. We have had 5 red cards this season in 26 matches, all for bad challenges or violent conduct. This isn’t how Alun sets up his sides to play. These red cards impact the final result, but also future games too through suspension (where we might have gained a couple more points with these players available).

Alun has been more than fair & loyal to his players. Time for some of them to step up, starting on Saturday.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:36 pm

Looking at Yorks scoreline so far tonight seems to show that sacking or changing a manager mid season and having a nice big full time budget, doesn’t always make a difference. Sometimes it’s better to stick with what you know for all his faults, the good stuff outweighs the bad with AA.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:05 pm

loan_star wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:36 pm
Looking at Yorks scoreline so far tonight seems to show that sacking or changing a manager mid season and having a nice big full time budget, doesn’t always make a difference. Sometimes it’s better to stick with what you know for all his faults, the good stuff outweighs the bad with AA.
In summary. Better to stick with the failure you know than the failure you don’t.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:18 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:05 pm
loan_star wrote:
In summary. Better to stick with the failure you know than the failure you don’t.
I certainly wouldn’t regard Alun’s tenure as a failure.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:54 pm

Old Git wrote:
loan_star wrote:
So you are saying AA is a failure Old Git....you need to wind your neck in with stupid comments like that

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:55 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:18 pm
Old Git wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Nor would I. Things are a bit up and down a at present though ;)

Swapping and changing all the time isn't a shrewd move. Over ten years York are now on their 10th manager, we are on our 3rd and at present sit above them in the league table, and look where we both started from 10 years ago and compare our respective budgets.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:44 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:55 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Old Git wrote:
loan_star wrote:

Swapping and changing all the time isn't a shrewd move. Over ten years York are now on their 10th manager, we are on our 3rd and at present sit above them in the league table, and look where we both started from 10 years ago and compare our respective budgets.
A rather pointless comparison with York. There are many different factors at play regarding York and I suspect the number of managerial changes there is more of a symptom than a cause of the problems they have. Even managers with previously good records such as Gray and Watson failed to make a mark under Mr McGill.
By the way, poor as York are, I wouldn’t be certain we will finish above them in the League. Even after last nights poor result they are only 1 point behind us with still 3 games in hand.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:33 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Oh, that's persuaded me then!

I said there was no need to replace him RIGHT NOW. I don't think he'll make it work but if he does then I'll be persuaded. I'll change my mind if there is evidence. As it is, its pretty pointless to change at this stage in the season so lets see if he can make a case for keeping his job.
Again, this is all disingenuous nonsense. All you’ve done is taken a position that means you can claim you were right either way. If AA and the team improve, you’ll claim sticking with him was right.

If they don’t you can say: “Ah my doubts were correct.”

So to be claiming you’re open to changing your mind is utter nonsense, because all you’re actually doing is hedging your bets. Spouting off enough to appear critical, while backing him enough to give you cover if results become more consistent.

You’re not looking to be persuaded on anything so I don’t know why you’re pretending you are. All you’re doing is covering as many positions as you can so you claim you were right all along.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:34 pm

Old Git wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Can we replace Old Git with someone who’s not as much as a failure at trolling?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:38 pm

Let's hope we have learned lessons from this game & draw up a plan to put things right. End this thread

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:44 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:44 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:55 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Old Git wrote:
loan_star wrote:

A rather pointless comparison with York. There are many different factors at play regarding York and I suspect the number of managerial changes there is more of a symptom than a cause of the problems they have. Even managers with previously good records such as Gray and Watson failed to make a mark under Mr McGill.
By the way, poor as York are, I wouldn’t be certain we will finish above them in the League. Even after last nights poor result they are only 1 point behind us with still 3 games in hand.

i think it's a fair comparison. York for quite some time have ploughed the same furrow as us and I have simply pointed out that their solution to the getting a spell bad results is to continuously change their manager, over and over again - and this hasn't worked.

They may well finish above us but you know, they should, bearing mind they are full time and have a bigger budget.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!