Telford V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Loopingheader
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Telford V Darlington

Post by Loopingheader » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:49 am

Well over 36 hours after that shambles and I've let the emotion subside. For my two-penneth I would definitely stick with Alun - he clearly gets the club and the caution required with funds and the need to develop and sell on in a way many other managers might not. He's also shown he can get his teams playing good football and going on long unbeaten runs which in these league might be all it takes to get into the playoffs. In terms of players he can certainly claim to develop the attackers into better players (Sousa, Charman, Donowa, Lambert) BUT....

I do think a change is required and whilst its nothing personal I'd question DH as his right hand man - For me the assistant needs to complement the manager and cover his deficiencies and I'm not sure we are getting this here - for all the development of attackers you can't say the same for defenders with most standing still and not developing or even worse arguably going backwards; equally the defensive setup even with experienced heads coming in is sorely lacking. Equally the wider tactical nous of the team is often lacking - yes players on the pitch need to be picking this up and leading (and not getting so many red cards!!) but the guidance to adjust things mid match from the side lines often appears lacking, having stood behind the dugouts away at Spenny there was nothing more than fairly basic instructions such as "launch it"!

I wonder if a more experienced assistant could be of real benefit in bringing some new ideas to the club as well as hopefully increasing the hit rate of recruits which at the moment is patchy at best (Breedon, Taylor, Saltmer to name but 3) - I appreciate Alan and Darren clearly know each other well and get on but a different perspective and healthy challenge might be the change we can all see is needed

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:20 am

We all know that we have some decent footballers at the club, but for some reason our spirit and confidence is very brittle. Notice AA no longer refers to a great team spirit in the dressing room, wonder if all the changes in personnel have had an adverse effect.
What is apparent is that scoring the first goal is crucial to our performances and results. The contrast between Farsley and Telford could hardly be greater. At Farsley we had to weather some early pressure, but grew into the game, took the lead and went on to win easily. At Telford we seemed to be the better team for most of the first half, but failed to score, conceded a goal and fell apart. You would expect a team with plenty of experienced players such as Ellis, Lawlor, Hatfield, Rose and Cassidy to be able to overcome some setbacks during a game. These lads are hardly a bunch of raw youngsters and should be capable of stepping up when needed. Can Armstrong pull this round ? I don’t know.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:21 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:23 am
The defence has and is the issue that has held us back this season - we are one of the top goal scorers in the league.
We have not progressed from when Tommy Wright was in charge.
Storey must be looking at Saturdays game and be thinking what do I have to do to get in this team.
The defence was largely fine for 40 minutes on Saturday and were in control of the game, however we had more ball and a few half chances but didn't massively look like scoring and knocking Telford's confidence.

The second half was an abomination in which we lost our heads ar being 1-0 down after being fairly strong, made a change at half time and within 30 seconds were 2-0 down. We then made an instant changes and went from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 and Telford with everyone showing more than an extra yard, swamped us all over the pitch.

Telford players were giving the old 110%, whilst ours looked like the would rather be anywhere but at the game.

Basically we didn't give Telford enough to worry about and the fact this was a must win game as their manager said then they took advantage massively.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:24 am

Loopingheader wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:49 am
Well over 36 hours after that shambles and I've let the emotion subside. For my two-penneth I would definitely stick with Alun - he clearly gets the club and the caution required with funds and the need to develop and sell on in a way many other managers might not. He's also shown he can get his teams playing good football and going on long unbeaten runs which in these league might be all it takes to get into the playoffs. In terms of players he can certainly claim to develop the attackers into better players (Sousa, Charman, Donowa, Lambert) BUT....

I do think a change is required and whilst its nothing personal I'd question DH as his right hand man - For me the assistant needs to complement the manager and cover his deficiencies and I'm not sure we are getting this here - for all the development of attackers you can't say the same for defenders with most standing still and not developing or even worse arguably going backwards; equally the defensive setup even with experienced heads coming in is sorely lacking. Equally the wider tactical nous of the team is often lacking - yes players on the pitch need to be picking this up and leading (and not getting so many red cards!!) but the guidance to adjust things mid match from the side lines often appears lacking, having stood behind the dugouts away at Spenny there was nothing more than fairly basic instructions such as "launch it"!

I wonder if a more experienced assistant could be of real benefit in bringing some new ideas to the club as well as hopefully increasing the hit rate of recruits which at the moment is patchy at best (Breedon, Taylor, Saltmer to name but 3) - I appreciate Alan and Darren clearly know each other well and get on but a different perspective and healthy challenge might be the change we can all see is needed
Someone like Phil Turnbull ?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:37 am

I would say that this season the only way we will be looking for a new a manager is if AA decides himself that he doesn't want to carry on. And he did look very down. I just don't think there'll be a kneejerk from DJ and the board after one awful result, bad though it was. There are too many other positives to AA's managership as outlined very well by Gramps above. And hopefully AA takes a long, hard look at things, keeps the more irrational, extreme, yelling voices in perspective and moves forward with a plan of action after a heart-to-heart with the players who let him down so badly on Saturday. I reckon that way forward is in the best interests of the club as a whole after a bad weekend.

Loopingheader

Post by Loopingheader » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:38 am

Certainly seemed to have a good football brain during his playing days with us though to be honest I was thinking more of someone who has been around the block a bit more, perhaps even with no Darlo experience necessary

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:45 am

Loopingheader wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:38 am
Certainly seemed to have a good football brain during his playing days with us though to be honest I was thinking more of someone who has been around the block a bit more, perhaps even with no Darlo experience necessary
With Gary Brown was in charge for a few matches before Tommy Wright. I would have liked to have seen them get more time.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:53 am

There is an obvious candidate. Someone who lives locally, not currently in management, loves our club and has a proven track record in NLN. Unfortunately he wouldn’t be acceptable to some of our fans, and certainly wouldn’t work under Armstrong. However, he would be able to sort out the defence and motivate our players into giving 100% on the field. You know who I mean.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:55 am

banktopp wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:45 am
Loopingheader wrote:
With Gary Brown was in charge for a few matches before Tommy Wright. I would have liked to have seen them get more time.
I will have to disagree with you here banktop ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:17 am

Old Git wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:53 am
There is an obvious candidate. Someone who lives locally, not currently in management, loves our club and has a proven track record in NLN. Unfortunately he wouldn’t be acceptable to some of our fans, and certainly wouldn’t work under Armstrong. However, he would be able to sort out the defence and motivate our players into giving 100% on the field. You know who I mean.
If you're talking about Gray, I would question whether he could sort out the defence. This season we have coneceded 37 in 23, or 1.61 a game. In the 16/17 season when we finished 5th under Gray, we conceded 67 in 42, or 1.60 a game.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:25 am

Old Git wrote:
If you're talking about Gray then its a big no from me. Didn't perform at York, completely misread the situation when trying to bring back Raj, spent more money than we had, and left in poor circumstances stating that he had "taken the club as far as it can go, given the current club structure and funding".

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:31 am

Old Git wrote:
Unfortunately he wouldn’t be acceptable to some of our fans
More than a minor problem..............
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:34 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:55 am
banktopp wrote:
Loopingheader wrote:
We are talking about an assistant here, not for one minute suggesting we get rid of Armstrong.
We have been poor defensively for a long time now and would have expected more from DH in this respect.
Turnbull and Brown won their last game in charge with a much better display than we had seen in previous games.
Had they been given longer they couldn't have done any worse than Tommy Wright.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:44 am

banktopp wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:34 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
banktopp wrote:
Loopingheader wrote:
We are talking about an assistant here, not for one minute suggesting we get rid of Armstrong.
We have been poor defensively for a long time now and would have expected more from DH in this respect.
Turnbull and Brown won their last game in charge with a much better display than we had seen in previous games.
I see your point but the one thing that Gray/Wright and Armstrong all have in common is that they were pro players of a good standard and have spent all their working time from a young age, in the world of football - thereby learning from others better than them, and encountering all sorts of different situations.

We all liked Gary Brown as a player but personally I don't feel he'd have enough experience to help cut through, even as an assistant.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:10 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:21 am
Never saw this coming mind despite the scoreline on tuesday telford did give gateshead a scare early on which indicated they are improving with the new manager. Clearly loosing charman has hit the club badly
That defeat had nothing to do with Charman leaving.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:16 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:44 am
banktopp wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:34 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
banktopp wrote:
Loopingheader wrote:
I see your point but the one thing that Gray/Wright and Armstrong all have in common is that they were pro players of a good standard and have spent all their working time from a young age, in the world of football - thereby learning from others better than them, and encountering all sorts of different situations.

We all liked Gary Brown as a player but personally I don't feel he'd have enough experience to help cut through, even as an assistant.
I feel sure Phil Turnbull may be a candidate though.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:17 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:17 am
Old Git wrote:
If you're talking about Gray, I would question whether he could sort out the defence. This season we have coneceded 37 in 23, or 1.61 a game. In the 16/17 season when we finished 5th under Gray, we conceded 67 in 42, or 1.60 a game.
You said it “We finished 5th”, and we have not threatened the playoffs since.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:18 pm

There was talk that apparently DJ was seen meeting with Graham Fenton at Washington services, obviously be a load of shite.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:45 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:21 pm
He’s previously taken Blyth into the play-offs so has done it before. He had us competing in and around the play-offs in our first season under him before the pandemic hit.

He clearly has a decent eye for players given what he’s done for the likes of Charman. And I do think he can identify problems in the team and come up with solutions (he did it in his first season, plus has fixed some issues this season too - yesterday’s result aside, our defence is much better than the opening four matches). I know the counter to that is he got it wrong in the first place, but he fixed it with signing Ellis, Cooper and Lawlor.

And we’ve seen we are capable of getting results. The last step is to string it altogether. People will laugh, but I do genuinely believe we’re just a couple of pieces of the jigsaw away from being a very good team.

I can understand the reaction to yesterday’s appalling result. However I do believe the some of the comments we’ve seen are a social media-fuelled overreaction based on one very bad result. Hardly anyone was talking about a managerial change on Friday night, so to change who is running the team on the basis of one result seems like a bad way of running things.

And where is the guarantee someone else coming in mid-season, with new ideas, new staff and working with players they didn’t sign, is all of a sudden going to find the consistency we’re wanting? Particularly as we don’t have a huge budget so will be limited to who we can bring in mid-season.

AA gets the club, he gets what we’re about, he understands the limitations we have and does have a decent enough track record at this level (one play-off finish with Blyth, plus a top 10 finish and a PPG top 10 finish in his first season with us).

On that basis, right now I think AA is our best chance for achieving our aims. I didn’t realistically expect us to go up this season. Indeed I said I’d be happy with a year of consolidation, a few tweaks in the summer and a play-off push next season.

If our inconsistency becomes a prolonged negative run, then I’ll shift my position. But right now I don’t think a change of manager would benefit us.
If you can put forward one candidate who will change things up for the better, by all means, let us know. Would be good to hear as I haven’t seen any credible names put forward by those complaining loudest.
Not often we agree on things but this is spot on in my opinion.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:52 pm

From the highlights if Ellis and Griffiths start Saturday ahead of Storey and Hedley then they might as well not stay with the club because they will never get a better chance of standing in for two players who looked 100% they hand planted the white flag and were thinking about what they would have for tea. Yes Wheatley got it completely wrong for his red card but hate to see Rose and Lambert shy out of tackles annoys me just as much.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:53 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:17 pm
al_quaker wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:17 am
Old Git wrote:
You said it “We finished 5th”, and we have not threatened the playoffs since.
I wasn't disputing that point though (although of course that was with a team we couldn't really afford). I was just commenting on your point that Gray would be able to sort the defence out. We finished 5th that season because we scored a lot of goals, not because we had a good defence.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:25 pm

Always recall the Gray approach was to outscore the opponent over anything else. Play direct and score goals.

We haven't no but we also had a number of what are now EFL level players on our books at that point and were financial crippled by the budget at the time. I hope that point isn't conveniently forgotten when making a comparison.

We finished in the bottom place of the playoffs and we couldn't afford the team that we had.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:44 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:18 pm
There was talk that apparently DJ was seen meeting with Graham Fenton at Washington services, obviously be a load of shite.
Jesus Christ :lol:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:49 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:18 pm
Washington Services :lol: These days clandestine meetings can take place over that new fangled internet thingy, but even so I don't think D.J. is a Washington Services type of guy.

On the Echo site someone has been banging on about Fenton.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:18 pm

Hence why I said it was a load of shite, love a good rumour :lol: :lol:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:44 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:18 pm
So do I almost as much fun as a good windup 😂

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:04 pm

AndyPark wrote:

Hmmm, well in that case I heard a rumour that D.J. (his very self) is on the verge of gaining permission from the supporters trust to sell the club to a consortium containing of the following people; Marco Gabbiadini, Gary Lineker, Martin Gray, Graham Nash (singer, Crosby, Stills and Nash) and Andy Burnham (Mayor of Manchester)

Quite impressive, if true...
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:00 pm

Loopingheader wrote:

This is a decent shout if you ask me - I like Armstrong and think there's more to managing a non-league club in our situation than just results on the pitch. You need someone who buys in to the fan-owned element and can engage with the community. These things are arguably as important to a proper community club as just chasing promotion after promotion.

Maybe the coaching set-up is worth looking at. Our squad clearly has some talent and experience. Maybe Armstrong just needs a bit of help in coaxing the best out of it on a consistent basis.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:19 pm

Spyman wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:00 pm
Loopingheader wrote:

This is a decent shout if you ask me - I like Armstrong and think there's more to managing a non-league club in our situation than just results on the pitch. You need someone who buys in to the fan-owned element and can engage with the community. These things are arguably as important to a proper community club as just chasing promotion after promotion.

Maybe the coaching set-up is worth looking at. Our squad clearly has some talent and experience. Maybe Armstrong just needs a bit of help in coaxing the best out of it on a consistent basis.
Think this idea of changing the No2 is simply ridiculous. Surely Armstrong and Holloway come as a pair and you keep them both or release them both. Can you imagine DJ telling AA he can stay on as manager but his mate has to go and be replaced by someone else as he needs help. Nobody with an ounce of self respect would tolerate that and I can’t see Armstrong staying under those circumstances.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:25 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:04 pm
AndyPark wrote:

Hmmm, well in that case I heard a rumour that D.J. (his very self) is on the verge of gaining permission from the supporters trust to sell the club to a consortium containing of the following people; Marco Gabbiadini, Gary Lineker, Martin Gray, Graham Nash (singer, Crosby, Stills and Nash) and Andy Burnham (Mayor of Manchester)

Quite impressive, if true...
Quite impressive barring Andy Burnham....

I didn't think anything could be worse than getting hammered 5-0 by the bottom team, but the prospect of compulsory mask wearing at BM is even more painful.

He shares a weird obsession with masks along with Sadiq Kahn, although neither really have the authority to enforce them and on a related note I can't imagine catching Covid these days is as bad as being at Telford on Saturday, thankfully I was at work.

Alun's post match interview told me all I needed to know I have no interest in watching the "highlights" or the goals it needs to be forgotten about quickly and everything must be focused on the Kettering game a swift response is needed, as for the predictable knee jerking and bed wetting I think those calling for Alun's head need to take a breath and step back a couple of good results and he'll be a hero again.

Saturday is history now and there's still a long stretch ahead of us til May, let's see where we are later down the line before we start making any rash judgements.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly