Fans Forum

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Fans Forum

Post by Old Git » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:56 pm

onewayup wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:23 pm
Rome wasn't built in a day. I think everything is going in the right direction all at a pace that DFC can handle.
Yes that very much came across tonight. Clearly we don’t have the infrastructure in place at this moment in time to take advantage of promotion, even if we were good enough. DJ mentioned a time frame of at least 2 and half years before we could be in our own ground, and we would need that to be in place before we could compete at a higher level.
As for AA he did seem more laid back and upbeat than he has for a while, which is good to see. Clearly his relationship with DJ is still strong and he will be given more time.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:18 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:08 pm
He was very scathing about the critics who slagged him off for meeting with Nadine Dorries, saying he would meet with The Monster Raving Loony Party if it furthered the interests of Darlington FC.
Exactly.

It was embarrassing and maddening reading the comments aimed towards the club and Nadine Dorries - I want to say so much more but will leave it :silent:

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:39 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:18 pm
Old Git wrote:
He was very scathing about the critics who slagged him off for meeting with Nadine Dorries, saying he would meet with The Monster Raving Loony Party if it furthered the interests of Darlington FC.
Exactly.

It was embarrassing and maddening reading the comments aimed towards the club and Nadine Dorries - I want to say so much more but will leave it :silent:
Think we’d need to know how that meeting did further interests of Darlo FC. You have to read the room sometimes.

Val McDermid has withdrawn her financial support from Raith Rovers following their signing of David Goodwin.

Totally different circumstances- but Raith Rovers not reading the room…

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:08 am

That is an absolutely terrible comparison.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:48 am

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Exactly.

Think we’d need to know how that meeting did further interests of Darlo FC. You have to read the room sometimes.

Val McDermid has withdrawn her financial support from Raith Rovers following their signing of David Goodwin.

This is the problem when the general public are allowed to say what they want, when they want. You get idiots like you saying stupid things like this.

Raith Rovers signed a footballer who was named in a civil case as raping someone.

Darlington FC spoke to the Secretary of State for sport.

There is no comparison between the two, and in trying to make the comparison, you look stupid.

This is nothing to do with “reading the room”. This is a handful of people on social media (including this forum) projecting their own political biases onto the club. They don’t like Nadine Dorries or the Conservatives, so don’t want the club talking to them. That is childish and self-defeating, and I’m glad David Johnson behaved like a grown-up.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:52 am

For those of you that missed last night's fan's forum that want to catch up...

👉🏻 https://yourclub.darlingtonfc.co.uk/202 ... -1-feb-2nd

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:10 am

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:39 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Exactly.

DJ explained very clearly why he met with her. As Bury accessed around £1million in grants for their return to Gigg Lane the reasons for the meeting are obvious.

You’re clearly just pissy that someone dared speak to a person you don’t like. Pathetic

Santino

Post by Santino » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:42 am

I must say, I was very impressed with everyone who spoke on the webinar.

Results on the pitch are the bread and butter of any football club, of course. But it's easy to get bogged down in patches of form and forget about the wider picture of the club as a whole. It sounds like things are moving in a promising direction, it will just take a bit of time to get there. DJ, Chris and Alun all spoke eloquently about what progression they want to make and what is planned in order to try and get us there.

The new ground situation, whilst lacking in concrete details for obvious reasons, sounds very promising. There is obviously a hell of a lot of work going on behind the scenes to try and make it a reality. If we have to tread water at Blackwell for a few years in order to get set up in our own ground and kick on from there, that's fine by me. There is clearly a long-term goal.

I was particularly impressed with Alun. He's come in for some stick recently (and some performances have warranted criticism, for sure), but he clearly cares about the club, he understands the workings of a part-time, fan owned club and the limitations that ultimately has, and he also has ideas about how to try and kick on further. Pushing for the extra day of training should be a big help to him and the staff, and if I remember rightly it was also Alun who suggested moving training to Catterick in order to try and cast the net further in terms of player recruitment. He is obviously working extremely hard to improve the team and the club and he deserves the backing of the fans while he does so.

I think this webinar was just what was needed, to remind fans (certainly myself, to be honest) of the wider picture of the club's circumstances and the work that is going on to progress the club forward. Don't let a few shite results cloud your enthusiasm for the club and all of the hard work that is going on. In 3-4 years time we could be in our own ground, playing full-time football. Keep the faith!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:45 am

Very impressed with the webinar. DJ calls a spade a spade which is what I like. I am more optimistic than ever with his connections and knowledge that a new ground is on the horizon, although it will be a few years away.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:25 am

Santino wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:42 am

Results on the pitch are the bread and butter of any football club, of course. But it's easy to get bogged down in patches of form and forget about the wider picture of the club as a whole. It sounds like things are moving in a promising direction, it will just take a bit of time to get there. DJ, Chris and Alun all spoke eloquently about what progression they want to make and what is planned in order to try and get us there.

The new ground situation, whilst lacking in concrete details for obvious reasons, sounds very promising. There is obviously a hell of a lot of work going on behind the scenes to try and make it a reality. If we have to tread water at Blackwell for a few years in order to get set up in our own ground and kick on from there, that's fine by me. There is clearly a long-term goal.

I was particularly impressed with Alun. He's come in for some stick recently (and some performances have warranted criticism, for sure), but he clearly cares about the club, he understands the workings of a part-time, fan owned club and the limitations that ultimately has, and he also has ideas about how to try and kick on further. Pushing for the extra day of training should be a big help to him and the staff, and if I remember rightly it was also Alun who suggested moving training to Catterick in order to try and cast the net further in terms of player recruitment. He is obviously working extremely hard to improve the team and the club and he deserves the backing of the fans while he does so.

I think this webinar was just what was needed, to remind fans (certainly myself, to be honest) of the wider picture of the club's circumstances and the work that is going on to progress the club forward. Don't let a few shite results cloud your enthusiasm for the club and all of the hard work that is going on. In 3-4 years time we could be in our own ground, playing full-time football. Keep the faith!
Totally agree. Great to hear that current circumstances were put in perspective and like you say, if plateauing on the pitch is a necessary part of building a longer terms strategy then we do need to look at the bigger picture.

If Armstrong has the patience, contacts and managerial ability to keep the ship steady (which lets be honest, despite disappointing results recently is exactly what we've been since he came in) until we're ready to kick on to that next level as a club, then it seems pointless hounding him out to bring in another unknown quantity who will ultimately have to work within the same set of constraints.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:48 am

It was really clear from the Webinar that we are in a period of consolidation on the pitch, while things behind the scenes are starting to take shape. I think most of the people who tuned in last night probably understand that, but what concerns me is that a large number of our fans are still expecting us to be more competitive on the pitch and will not see the bigger picture.
I make no secret of my own frustration with some of our performances, so I can understand others feeling the same way. I suppose patience is the key word, but football fans are not noted for that. Hopefully, there will be something positive to announce on a new ground by the end of the season. Otherwise BTB could be a hard sell this year, especially with energy prices spiralling and inflation rising.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:56 am

MB86DFC wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:10 am
Comfortably_numb wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:39 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Exactly.

DJ explained very clearly why he met with her. As Bury accessed around £1million in grants for their return to Gigg Lane the reasons for the meeting are obvious.

You’re clearly just pissy that someone dared speak to a person you don’t like. Pathetic
not really. was just querying the benefit of speaking to a controversial character - thats now been explained so all good.

the comparison with raith was poor - absolutely accept that - was more trying to flag associations with certain folk can be controversial. not sure how well publicised it was the reasons for meeting with dorries.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:44 pm

Santino wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:42 am

Great post/sentiments.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:47 pm

The SJW's on this board who are crying for everyone to "read the room" should look at the bigger picture.

Imagine in years to come we were looking to get funding for further development at BM or a new ground and we had turned down a meeting with the secretary of the DCMS because a few jumped up Labour voting fans were up in arms about liaising with a Tory MP? Just how favourably do you think that would that reflect on us?

Whether or not you are of the same political persuasion is irrelevant it was done for the right reasons.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:50 pm

Calm cool heads are called for here, we are in a good position club finance wise, it was explained a long term plan is the main objective to allow the club to grow and get back into the EFL ,albeit in the fullness of time. Bed wetters need to be patient as I have said Rome wasn't buin a day. I personally am very happy after hearing what is in store over the next 3/5years. All very positive.
DJ, CHRIS STOCKDALE, AND EVERY OTHER VOLUNTEER I APPLAUD YOU ALL.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:55 pm

Thanks Beatroute, didn't attend as I was working so great to catch up. Really refreshing , transparent and open with every question answered. What a group of people we have in charge in addition to all the brilliant volunteers! Maybe in future some people could take a breath, think about how they would feel when their integrity was questioned and make more considered responses. Social media is a great tool but horrible at times. Thankfully DJ sees beyond this.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:04 pm

Interesting that the Rugby Club won't let us develop the ground to EFL standards, and there's no point in developing it any further. If we did happen to get promotion in the next couple of years, the contingency plans would be interesting.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:23 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:04 pm
Interesting that the Rugby Club won't let us develop the ground to EFL standards, and there's no point in developing it any further. If we did happen to get promotion in the next couple of years, the contingency plans would be interesting.
Your last point is an easy one we would of course ground share with Pools!

bga

Post by bga » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:26 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:55 pm
Thanks Beatroute, didn't attend as I was working so great to catch up. Really refreshing , transparent and open with every question answered. What a group of people we have in charge in addition to all the brilliant volunteers! Maybe in future some people could take a breath, think about how they would feel when their integrity was questioned and make more considered responses. Social media is a great tool but horrible at times. Thankfully DJ sees beyond this.
Agree with all of that we have some very talented people in charge.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:18 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:47 pm
The SJW's on this board who are crying for everyone to "read the room" should look at the bigger picture.

Imagine in years to come we were looking to get funding for further development at BM or a new ground and we had turned down a meeting with the secretary of the DCMS because a few jumped up Labour voting fans were up in arms about liaising with a Tory MP? Just how favourably do you think that would that reflect on us?

Whether or not you are of the same political persuasion is irrelevant it was done for the right reasons.
I'd best ask the question then - what's an SJW pls?

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:29 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:18 pm
quaker4life wrote:

Social justice warrior.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:14 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:29 pm
Comfortably_numb wrote:
quaker4life wrote:

Social justice warrior.
cheers. a new one on me, every day's a school day.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:44 pm

One other thing to note was alun is in for and trying his best to fill the gap left by Luke Charman.finding a replacement striker is the most difficult of situations. As everyone is looking for a good striker. Hopefully alun manages to fill the void sooner rather than later. He's trying all over at the moment.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:54 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
quaker4life wrote:

Social justice warrior.
Thats the polite version :lol:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:33 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Social justice warrior.
Did it become a slur to be seen to fight for social justice.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:24 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:48 am
Comfortably_numb wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Exactly.

This is the problem when the general public are allowed to say what they want, when they want. You get idiots like you saying stupid things like this.

Raith Rovers signed a footballer who was named in a civil case as raping someone.

Darlington FC spoke to the Secretary of State for sport.

There is no comparison between the two, and in trying to make the comparison, you look stupid.

This is nothing to do with “reading the room”. This is a handful of people on social media (including this forum) projecting their own political biases onto the club. They don’t like Nadine Dorries or the Conservatives, so don’t want the club talking to them. That is childish and self-defeating, and I’m glad David Johnson behaved like a grown-up.
Couldn't have said it better.

Some of our fans are an embarrassment sometimes.

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:02 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
We had to leave Bishop otherwise we would have been demoted by the league. If the Rugby Club won’t let us develop to EFL that’s definitely a new stance as they previously would.

So if a new ground may take at least 5-7 years to happen why not move to an actual football stadium in the town the Arena.
At one point the DFCSG board were contemplating it so not sure why thats not discussed anymore. I’ll now hide behind the sofa for the brickbats.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:19 pm

Darlobill wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:02 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
We had to leave Bishop otherwise we would have been demoted by the league. If the Rugby Club won’t let us develop to EFL that’s definitely a new stance as they previously would.

So if a new ground may take at least 5-7 years to happen why not move to an actual football stadium in the town the Arena.
At one point the DFCSG board were contemplating it so not sure why thats not discussed anymore. I’ll now hide behind the sofa for the brickbats.
Because we don’t need to be in an EFL ground until we get to the EFL, which we won’t do until we have our own ground. Why pay rent on Blackwell and the Arena when it isn’t needed?

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:07 pm

Darlobill wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:02 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:

I thought DJ made it abundantly clear last night that we can't generate the revenue necessary to go full-time without a ground of our own that would generate income 7 days a week, rather than the current 6 hours twice a month.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:18 pm

Darlobill wrote: So if a new ground may take at least 5-7 years to happen why not move to an actual football stadium in the town the Arena.
The Arena is a Rugby Stadium and has been for the better part of the last decade.

Moving there, at best, would be a step to the side, we would be leaving one Rugby ground which we rent to then rent another, also the Arena is in a relatively poor state of repair these days.

Fat Josh may have been on to something when he claimed it won't pass it's next 10 year inspection.