Darlo v Kettering

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo v Kettering

Post by JE93 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:16 am

So the chance finally comes around for Alun and the team to start to right the wrongs of the Telford performance. It feels like it's been a long week and I think we'll all be looking not just for a good result but a good performance to go with it.

Ketterings prep for this game has involved a narrow midweek defeat vs Kidderminster on Tuesday night, during which they lost their first choice keeper to injury. Also during the week they lost their form player and top scorer Callum Powell who has signed for Southend. Their new boss Ian Culverhouse (who seems like a decent appointment based on what he achieved at Kings Lynn) takes charge for the second time.

In his echo interview Armstrong says there will be changes to the team and formation, but to be honest i don't really see much that we can change with the players we have available. We could move to 4-4-2 but I don't see how playing Cassidy and O'Neill as a two adds anything, they're too similar in terms of playing back to goal, neither will run in behind and stretch the game. It may be something worth trying if Mondal returns from his loan spell later this season. I really hope we don't go back to trying 3 at the back again with (3-5-2), I don't think it suits our CBs, none of them are good enough on the ball and I don't think our FBs are quick enough to play WB.

Personally I'd be tempted to stick with 4-2-3-1 and move some people around and make some changes to personnel. Bring in Hedley and Storey, hard keep the back 4 the same after such a poor show vs Telford. Drop Hatfield back into CM next to Rose and give Lambert a free role behind the CF. Bring in Dos Santos for Purver hopefully to give us someone with enough pace that we can stretch the game when we need to. Bring in O'Neill for Cassidy, I like Cassidy and his work rate but he really does need to get into the box and between the posts more to give us more attacking threat. O'Neill is a different type of striker we'll need to get the ball to his feet more than we would with Cassidy, give him a chance to use his skills to roll his defender and get a shot away. Bench is mainly those who are falling out of the starting 11 but if Sanyang is still in dual registration then I'd be tempted to bring him in. Scored plenty of goals for Pickering, albeit 2 levels below but worth a look.

------------------------ Taylor ------------------------
Hedley ----- Storey --- Lawlor ----- Smith
-------------- Hatfield --- Rose ------------------
Rivers ---------- Lambert ----- Dos Santos
----------------------- O'Neill -------------------------

Subs: Griffiths, Ellis, Purver, Sanyang (if we can have him), Cassidy

eddie-rowles

Re: Darlo v Kettering

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:30 am

JE93 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:16 am
So the chance finally comes around for Alun and the team to start to right the wrongs of the Telford performance. It feels like it's been a long week and I think we'll all be looking not just for a good result but a good performance to go with it.

Ketterings prep for this game has involved a narrow midweek defeat vs Kidderminster on Tuesday night, during which they lost their first choice keeper to injury. Also during the week they lost their form player and top scorer Callum Powell who has signed for Southend. Their new boss Ian Culverhouse (who seems like a decent appointment based on what he achieved at Kings Lynn) takes charge for the second time.

In his echo interview Armstrong says there will be changes to the team and formation, but to be honest i don't really see much that we can change with the players we have available. We could move to 4-4-2 but I don't see how playing Cassidy and O'Neill as a two adds anything, they're too similar in terms of playing back to goal, neither will run in behind and stretch the game. It may be something worth trying if Mondal returns from his loan spell later this season. I really hope we don't go back to trying 3 at the back again with (3-5-2), I don't think it suits our CBs, none of them are good enough on the ball and I don't think our FBs are quick enough to play WB.

Personally I'd be tempted to stick with 4-2-3-1 and move some people around and make some changes to personnel. Bring in Hedley and Storey, hard keep the back 4 the same after such a poor show vs Telford. Drop Hatfield back into CM next to Rose and give Lambert a free role behind the CF. Bring in Dos Santos for Purver hopefully to give us someone with enough pace that we can stretch the game when we need to. Bring in O'Neill for Cassidy, I like Cassidy and his work rate but he really does need to get into the box and between the posts more to give us more attacking threat. O'Neill is a different type of striker we'll need to get the ball to his feet more than we would with Cassidy, give him a chance to use his skills to roll his defender and get a shot away. Bench is mainly those who are falling out of the starting 11 but if Sanyang is still in dual registration then I'd be tempted to bring him in. Scored plenty of goals for Pickering, albeit 2 levels below but worth a look.

------------------------ Taylor ------------------------
Hedley ----- Storey --- Lawlor ----- Smith
-------------- Hatfield --- Rose ------------------
Rivers ---------- Lambert ----- Dos Santos
----------------------- O'Neill -------------------------

Subs: Griffiths, Ellis, Purver, Sanyang (if we can have him), Cassidy
Good line up, if Ellis and Griffiths start Hedley and Storey may as well look for another club. Cannot believe AA stating we have a small squad with limited numbers to change things?? Yes we have lost Charman but we still have more numbers than Gateshead who sit top of the league or perhaps he's been listening to Nadine Norries and just deny anything and everything.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:51 am

Pivotal game, if we win all will be OK, if we lose the knives will be out as effectively the season will be over. I personally want him to stay at least until the end of the season as he is a manager who could could put a run together.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:45 pm

I think Hedley deserves a start at right back. Personally I thought he did well earlier in the season and I find it surprising he has not played recently. For me Griffiths has been pretty average and Hedley should be given an opportunity. I would also give KDS a start ahead of Rivers and play Tyrone a start up front with Cassidy.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:46 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:30 am
Cannot believe AA stating we have a small squad with limited numbers to change things??
Did he not state in almost the same breathe the acknowledgement of young lads on loan but they aren't ready.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:18 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:46 pm
eddie-rowles wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:30 am
Cannot believe AA stating we have a small squad with limited numbers to change things??
Did he not state in almost the same breathe the acknowledgement of young lads on loan but they aren't ready.
Wouldn't call Mondal, Taylor and Beeden young lads in same breath as Hope, Omar and Martin but atleast he admits recruitment not good as some have been too sheltered by academy football and not been able to step up.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:45 pm

I think bringing in Ellis, Rose and Lawlor was an 'admission' if that is the right word?

Pretty sure he has said from the outset he didn't get the players in he was ideally after.

This isn't some 'gotcha' moment.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:59 pm

According to an article in today’s Echo AA admits he considered resigning in the wake of last week’s defeat but after speaking with DJ he was reassured that the Board are100% behind him.
What we need now is the players to show they feel the same. Important game tomorrow as a good performance and victory will go some way to restoring faith among the fans. Over to the players to put things right.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:32 pm

Looks like it’s going to be a tad breezy tomorrow.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:46 pm

AA has said O’Neill will start alongside Cassidy tomorrow 👍

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:27 am

Seems like the wind will dictate the result of today's game, even playing the ball on the ground is going to be very difficult to control where the ball will end up,

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:59 am

onewayup wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:27 am
Seems like the wind will dictate the result of today's game, even playing the ball on the ground is going to be very difficult to control where the ball will end up,
Yep, not good conditions for a classic. Sometimes when it's windy the goalies have trouble just to distribute the ball - something freaky could well happen.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:28 pm

Remember Jameson at Bishop trying to kick the ball (from a goal kick) up in air it would go and come straight back to him 😀
It did take him quite awhile to realise it wasn’t working, hopefully Taylor is a bit more savvy👍

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:34 pm

onewayup wrote:
True but the same for both teams. Hope you are not looking to provide excuses before the game is played. I am expecting a win, wind or not, no excuses today.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:46 pm

Kettering also forced into changes with their striker transferred out so should be chances for mistakes to be exploited. Give KDS the start ahead of Rivers as he is more likely to shoot.
Glad AA decided against resignation as finding a decent replacement for him mid-season would be a problem.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:52 pm

Could the game be under threat if the wind stays high.

Darlogramps

Darlo v Kettering

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:22 pm

Old Git wrote:
onewayup wrote:
True but the same for both teams. Hope you are not looking to provide excuses before the game is played. I am expecting a win, wind or not, no excuses today.
Precisely. That way you win either way. Victory and everyone is happy. Fail to win and you can have your little moan post-match from the comfort and safety of your keyboard.

I bet you’re secretly hoping we don’t win, given how much of a doom and gloom merchant you’ve become recently.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:30 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:46 pm
Glad AA decided against resignation as finding a decent replacement for him mid-season would be a problem.
No reason for him to. It was an awful result, agreed.

Two games earlier we won 6-0 way from home. Nobody was questioning him then.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:42 pm

1 down ☹️

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:36 pm

That was truly awful and it felt like a bit of a watershed. AA didn't get the reaction he demanded and I don't know how he'll react personally, especially with some of the fans shoutiting their displeasure at the end. Mind the winner was two yards offside and Cassidy should have won it for us with a simple header but missed the goal.

Difficult to know where we go from here.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:38 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:22 pm
Old Git wrote:
onewayup wrote:
Precisely. That way you win either way. Victory and everyone is happy. Fail to win and you can have your little moan post-match from the comfort and safety of your keyboard.

I bet you’re secretly hoping we don’t win, given how much of a doom and gloom merchant you’ve become recently.
Yes I was there today secretly wishing the team I have supported since I was a young lad would get beat. As for being a keyboard moaner I bow to your superior knowledge.
For the record I thought we played quite well in the first half and on several occasions put good attacks together, only to be let down by the final pass. Unfortunately, the longer the game went on the more disjointed we became. No doubt the wind spoiled the game and I actually think that can be used as a valid reason for writing off today’s result.
My gripes today against the manager are just limited to the following 2 questions.
1. Why take off De Santos when he looked our most dangerous player?
2. Why bother bringing Beauchamps on in injury time? Bit of an insult to give him a whole 2 minutes. Don’t think I would have bothered taking my tracksuit off !

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:51 pm

Disingenuous to take the most productive player off de Santos has never say die attitude. I wish some of the others had .the wind did play a significant part in the game however we had more than enough chances to win the commitment in the first half was excellent. It dipped on 73min when they scored. I won't join in the AA out brigade. I actually think he can get us going in the right direction again. We have had blips before. Com,on we are Darlington FC if you have followed DFC as long as I have it is a big part of being a DFC supporter come back week after week for more that is a true supporter come hell or high water you turn up.its your club it's your free time life line.
Last edited by onewayup on Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:51 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:36 pm
That was truly awful and it felt like a bit of a watershed. AA didn't get the reaction he demanded and I don't know how he'll react personally, especially with some of the fans shoutiting their displeasure at the end. Mind the winner was two yards offside and Cassidy should have won it for us with a simple header but missed the goal.

Difficult to know where we go from here.
I agree. Was a poor performance barring a few semi threatening attacks in the first half, although we never looked like scoring. That’s 3 games without a goal. We’re back to last seasons fancy passing play with zero end product.

Second half was much worse, which makes you think, what are they being told at half time? I’m not arsed if Alun stays or goes now. We’re going nowhere this season but I do worry for next.

DarloJason

Post by DarloJason » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:56 pm

For me the key issue is motivation, at the close of the season AA moved players on who didn't have the drive and desire to play for the club. I question how the players are motivated and encouraged. On paper we have a big improvement from the previous season. We started with some signings that didn't perform as expected. We built on these are brought in some experienced players. Still though we have the common theme of the lack of hunger and desire. For me today was a turning point to see how we bounced back. Sadly we performed like we were on a trampoline with broken springs.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:57 pm

Admittedly the wind spoilt the game, but you cannot just write it off. Even loyal AA backers around me had turned the other way by end of game.
I have said before that he lacks tactical nous and today was yet another example. Would love to ask him these questions:
1. What impact on the game did he think replacing Santos with Rivers would have?
2. Why when he himself said O’Neill wasn’t ready for 90 mins did he keep him on when he was having absolutely no impact. In fact he looked like he couldn’t have cared less at some points.
3. Why actually waste our own time by bringing Beauchamp on with literally 2 mins left. Seriously, again what impact did he think that would have on the game.
4. Why not change formations when we went 0-1 down or at least last 15 mins.
5. Why not send one of our big centre forwards up top for last 10 when everything else wasn’t working.
6. Why after scoring for fun have we hardly had a shot on goal in 3 games.

Today was perfect for the players to show they were fully behind AA yet many looked lost and clueless at times.

Like I have said before, I, like others really like AA and desperately want it to work and him to succeed but it’s just not.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:00 pm

I don't know what the problem is but we didn't look a poper unit today against a side we demolished just a few weeks ago. It was all very flat rather than looking like a team determined to make amends, which is what I was expecting to see against very average opponents.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:10 pm

That was awful. The wind spoilt it (as I knew it would) but even so……..…
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:27 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I don't know what the problem is but we didn't look a poper unit today against a side we demolished just a few weeks ago. It was all very flat rather than looking like a team determined to make amends, which is what I was expecting to see against very average opponents.
They seemed to want it more, far quicker to the ball, winning all the 50/50 balls, had more attacks,more corners,and were the better of 2 bang average sides.We were awful up front, Cassidy could not even hit the target with a 6 yard header and we wouldn't have scored if we played till midnight.Where is our next win coming from, in fact where is our next goal coming from, AA has to bring someone in,but in all honesty it's season over even in January.Thank god only 1 team gets relegated but we could easily get dragged into a relegation scrap if we fail to bring in 1 or 2 signings.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Darlo v Kettering

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:28 pm

Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Old Git wrote:
onewayup wrote:

Yes I was there today secretly wishing the team I have supported since I was a young lad would get beat. As for being a keyboard moaner I bow to your superior knowledge.
ImageImage
That’s funny, given the amount of posts you’ve made in the last few weeks talking the club down, speaking negatively about the club.

Are you sure you’ve actually supported the club since being a young lad? Because from the never ending misery of your posts, it doesn’t seem that way.

Funny way of supporting the team given you’re always sticking the boot in. Wind it in with the doom and gloom act.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:28 pm
Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Old Git wrote:
onewayup wrote:

ImageImage
That’s funny, given the amount of posts you’ve made in the last few weeks talking the club down, speaking negatively about the club.

Are you sure you’ve actually supported the club since being a young lad? Because from the never ending misery of your posts, it doesn’t seem that way.

Funny way of supporting the team given you’re always sticking the boot in. Wind it in with the doom and gloom act.
I only want my team to be successful and I get frustrated when I think they should be doing better. Believe it or not I wanted Armstrong to succeed but it has become more and more obvious as the weeks have gone by that it is not working. I said on this forum before Christmas that I would give him another 10 games before making a decision on his future. You were one who criticised me at the time, but guess what? I was right in saying that. Truth is it looks like it would be better for the club if he did go.