New Ground Location

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

New Ground Location

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:58 am

If I was a betting man I would say its going to be Faverdale - its going to have to be on the outskirts of town.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

onewayup

Re: New Ground Location

Post by onewayup » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:25 pm

Guess again it's not there, wait until a formal notice is released, it could be anywhere.but isn't faverdale, keep your money.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:25 pm

If the Borough plan that DJ referred to last night is publicly available presumably scrutinising that might give an idea as to what the Landscape might look like in a couple of years time and the potential location?

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:34 pm

Another punt would be near Amazon - lots of opportunity around that location
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

darlosince65

Post by darlosince65 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:13 pm

Gonna be a green field site for definite. But where ?

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:28 pm

Total guess but I'm thinking Cleveland bridge site or area, anyway we will find out in time.

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:26 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:34 pm
There has just been a planning application for a 24 acre industrial park next to Amazon. My guess is possibly Skerningham which has just been ruled “sound in principle” it will have a community requirement no doubt so a possibility. Have to say Cleveland Bridge could be a good shout if land was cleared.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:42 pm

Darlobill wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:26 pm
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:34 pm
There has just been a planning application for a 24 acre industrial park next to Amazon. My guess is possibly Skerningham which has just been ruled “sound in principle” it will have a community requirement no doubt so a possibility. Have to say Cleveland Bridge could be a good shout if land was cleared.
That would cost a fortune to re-develop and as far as I know the administrators are trying to sell Cleveland Bridge as a going concern. Nobody has mentioned the new ground could go on a different part of BM. There is plenty of land where a ground could be built.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:41 pm

The Darlington Local Plan was passed by the council last week and has a section on sporting facilities. The Plan says the main focal points for outdoor sports pitches have been "the three managed hub sites at Blackwell Meadows, Eastbourne Sports Complex and Longfield Academy." The council says it intends to "protect, enhance and extend the sporting offer in the Borough" and regarding football pitches "there are there are insufficient pitches of the right type to meet projected demand". It says "there is a need to provide additional capacity" covering both grass and artificial playing areas in the town. My money would be on land at BM.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:32 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:41 pm
The Darlington Local Plan was passed by the council last week and has a section on sporting facilities. The Plan says the main focal points for outdoor sports pitches have been "the three managed hub sites at Blackwell Meadows, Eastbourne Sports Complex and Longfield Academy." The council says it intends to "protect, enhance and extend the sporting offer in the Borough" and regarding football pitches "there are there are insufficient pitches of the right type to meet projected demand". It says "there is a need to provide additional capacity" covering both grass and artificial playing areas in the town. My money would be on land at BM.
Good man or woman for researching that so no mention of the Arena?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:14 pm

No mention of the Arena. I think some of the things that maybe point towards BM include that the council own land there, there is plenty of space, it already has car parking, is away from housing and has public transport and car links. The Local Plan says that the Council is currently updating the Darlington Playing Pitch and Sports Facility Strategy which will identify particular areas of need and opportunities for providing new sports facilities. Don't know when this comes out.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:45 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:14 pm
No mention of the Arena. I think some of the things that maybe point towards BM include that the council own land there, there is plenty of space, it already has car parking, is away from housing and has public transport and car links. The Local Plan says that the Council is currently updating the Darlington Playing Pitch and Sports Facility Strategy which will identify particular areas of need and opportunities for providing new sports facilities. Don't know when this comes out.
Thanks for all that.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:55 am

Hope it is a green field, I hate that blue grass

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:59 am

Could actually be anywhere within the Darlington council areas , my belief is that it will more to the northern end of Darlington, there are quite a few future developments in the offering, Both housing and industrial /retail infrastructure are all being looked at over the next 2/3 years which fits the time scale required to get everything in place. My quesstimation,

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:18 pm

bga wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:32 pm
The Arena is a housing estate in waiting ;)
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:16 pm

It could be possible to fit a smallish, Feethams sized ground next to the college alongside the railway lines but whether that land is available and residents would want a stadium there is questionable.

I'd rather attempt to buyout Blackwell and mould it into a decent venue considering the investment and grants received just to play there now plus it isn't a million miles away from the town center. Anywhere else, new, would be further out of town and just as far as those who objected to the location of the Arena.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:22 pm

One thing is a certainty no matter where it ends up you won't suit everyone. There will be the usual gripers not happy .you can't do right for doing wrong.sometimes
Last edited by onewayup on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:34 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:18 pm
bga wrote:
What a great idea. Move the Feethams Estate to the Arena, rebuild Feethams and take the Tinshed back to it's true home. Simples. :D :roll:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:35 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:16 pm
It could be possible to fit a smallish, Feethams sized ground next to the college alongside the railway lines but whether that land is available and residents would want a stadium there is questionable.

I'd rather attempt to buyout Blackwell and mould it into a decent venue considering the investment and grants received just to play there now plus it isn't a million miles away from the town center. Anywhere else, new, would be further out of town and just as far as those who objected to the location of the Arena.
I agree with this (apart from the spelling of "centre" ;) ) Blackwell would be good for me, on our own bit.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:57 pm

joejaques wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:34 pm
quaker4life wrote:
bga wrote:
What a great idea. Move the Feethams Estate to the Arena, rebuild Feethams and take the Tinshed back to it's true home. Simples. :D :roll:
You know what, your suggestion is so far beyond absurd it could actually work out.

Feethams here we come :clap:
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:25 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:57 pm
joejaques wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:34 pm
quaker4life wrote:
bga wrote:
You know what, your suggestion is so far beyond absurd it could actually work out.

Feethams here we come :clap:
As the song says, "If you don't have a dream how you gonna have a dream come true" :roll:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:31 pm

Gladman Developments have asked for outline planning permission for 985 homes at Coniscliffe Park, a 48.5 hectare site off Staindrop Rd. Also included are schools, doctors surgery, shops and sports pitches. I wonder if the sports pitches could include a site for a NLN team for a new football pitch?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:56 pm

That's been rumbling on for 5 years.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:46 am

Old Git wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:31 pm
Gladman Developments have asked for outline planning permission for 985 homes at Coniscliffe Park, a 48.5 hectare site off Staindrop Rd. Also included are schools, doctors surgery, shops and sports pitches. I wonder if the sports pitches could include a site for a NLN team for a new football pitch?
I've heard that eventually 1500 homes could be built on that site, I very much doubt they'd want to include a football stadium in the plans. I still fancy it will be built somewhere at Blackwell Meadows, in a different location from where we play at the moment.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:15 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:46 am
Old Git wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:31 pm
I've heard that eventually 1500 homes could be built on that site, I very much doubt they'd want to include a football stadium in the plans. I still fancy it will be built somewhere at Blackwell Meadows, in a different location from where we play at the moment.
This "being built at Blackwell meadows" thing seems to be constantly in the air. I hope it does prove to be correct.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:49 pm

After all the hullaballoo about blackwell being the wrong place since we moved in can you really believe that it's now the right place, many post over the years regarding blackwell as a not fit for purpose, only one way in and out, many other gripes for one reason or another, my personal belief is a completely new area for the next ground.. but hey who knows.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:38 pm

onewayup wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:49 pm
After all the hullaballoo about blackwell being the wrong place since we moved in can you really believe that it's now the right place, many post over the years regarding blackwell as a not fit for purpose, only one way in and out, many other gripes for one reason or another, my personal belief is a completely new area for the next ground.. but hey who knows.
Disagree regarding the Blackwell Meadows being the wrong location for a new ground. It could be an excellent site for a new ground if the right infrastructure was put in place. If I remember correctly there was supposed to be a road in and a new road out constructed as part of the original development but it never happened.
Most fans gripes relate to the problems with the current stadium but I am sure these could be addressed if a new ground was purpose built.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:40 pm

If we have control of the new ground, then Blackwell Meadow would be a very good location. But if the rugby club are involved then I would be against it.