Guiesley Away

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Guiesley Away

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:38 pm

We made their number 4 look like Pirlo today.
The second half was crying out for something different like Mondal.
Listening to Aluns post match interview, yes we missed some chances, but we didn’t dominate the game and didn’t deserve to win. Like the Kettering game a 0-0 would have been a fair result. Major rebuild needed as this team is no where near getting to the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:33 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:38 pm
We made their number 4 look like Pirlo today.
The second half was crying out for something different like Mondal.
Listening to Aluns post match interview, yes we missed some chances, but we didn’t dominate the game and didn’t deserve to win. Like the Kettering game a 0-0 would have been a fair result. Major rebuild needed as this team is no where near getting to the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just be grateful there aren't play-offs at the bottom, like in Scotland. :roll:

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:48 pm

Same old interview, same words, “ the lads gave everything” “ they took on board the things we discussed” etc etc, but we lost yet again Alan!
“We just aren’t shooting”, yes Alan we have barely had a shot on target in 4 games.
2 wins out of last 13 games with this group of players is unacceptable and yet he said the other night that he wants to keep most of this squad next season. Why?
Do we really trust him to spend our £130k wisely next time?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:59 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:48 pm
Do we really trust him to spend our £130k wisely next time?
No, I don't. I'm really beginning to question the wisdom of giving my money to BTB and hoping that AA somehow gets it right this time. Cassidy has never been a regular goalscorer, Nelson gamble failed, (now AA takes another gamble with O'Neill), Mondal is garbage, centre-back signings were appalling, how anyone could sign Breedon I don't know, and the full backs are no improvement on last season.

So no, I definitey don't trust AA to spend our money wisely. The only thing keeping him in a job is that we clearly can't afford to go up for at least another 2 years, so in that regard AA is perfect for us.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:25 pm

Apparently Craig Elliot was there today (former Boston manager) wonder if Alun goes he could be a name to look at.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:35 pm

Just not what I expected today.
Last edited by onewayup on Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:55 pm

There is a lot of talk about “next season” :thumbdown: Next season this/next season that - from fans and management alike, but this annoys me.

There’s a third of this season to play for yet, and if everyone is thinking it’s all over this time round, then no wonder the players are thinking about their holidays and their other jobs.

There is a malaise, but apart from the loss of one player, what’s changed? Are the players letting A.A. down, or is A.A. not giving the players the right instructions? I know where my money is.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:03 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:55 pm
There is a lot of talk about “next season” :thumbdown: Next season this/next season that - from fans and management alike, but this annoys me.

There’s a third of this season to play for yet, and if everyone is thinking it’s all over this time round, then no wonder the players are thinking about their holidays and their other jobs.

There is a malaise, but apart from the loss of one player, what’s changed? Are the players letting A.A. down, or is A.A. not giving the players the right instructions? I know where my money is.
Not sure it matters that much which way round it is. Either way the only solution is to change the manager. We have tried changing players, time and again, and still it gets worse.
If the manager can’t organise and motivate the players, he should go. If they are not following his instructions, clearly they don’t respect him. They are his players, no excuses.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:06 pm

The fans forum stated that we are in a decent position financially and we have some money from the Charman deal, but Alun seemed very reluctant to spend on players who won’t have a potential financial return in future. This was in respect to Hazel from Whitby. Now I’m not saying he is the right person, but ruling out paying for any player who won’t have much or any resale value seems shortsighted. A drop in attendances due to watching goalless, poor football over the remaining 8 home games could cost more than the transfer fee.

I appreciate the prudent financial oversight but we need a little ambition and hope even with the playoffs miles out of sight, which we’re not getting with the current strikers.

Darlogramps

Guiesley Away

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:32 pm

Old Git wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Not sure it matters that much which way round it is. Either way the only solution is to change the manager. We have tried changing players, time and again, and still it gets worse.
If the manager can’t organise and motivate the players, he should go. If they are not following his instructions, clearly they don’t respect him. They are his players, no excuses.
“The only solution” - talk about reductionist thinking.

You weren’t complaining when we beat Farsley 6-0 so I fail to see how you can get to the conclusion AA is the only problem in a few weeks. You’re just a reactionary bag of hot air.

Again, if you want AA, you need to name who should replace him. And don’t say Fenton. Someone who’s failed with a big budget in the division below and has no experience in the NLN cannot be the right answer.

For me, AA needs to look at the striking situation. We’re not getting that right and it’s clear we need a new face in there.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:36 pm

MB86DFC wrote:The fans forum stated that we are in a decent position financially and we have some money from the Charman deal, but Alun seemed very reluctant to spend on players who won’t have a potential financial return in future. This was in respect to Hazel from Whitby. Now I’m not saying he is the right person, but ruling out paying for any player who won’t have much or any resale value seems shortsighted. A drop in attendances due to watching goalless, poor football over the remaining 8 home games could cost more than the transfer fee.

I appreciate the prudent financial oversight but we need a little ambition and hope even with the playoffs miles out of sight, which we’re not getting with the current strikers.
The other point with this is, how many of the current players (all of whom AA has brought in) have a potential future financial return, a la Charman?

Lambert and maybe Tommy Taylor. KDS potentially if he ups his level. After that I’m struggling.

So I agree with you in that, if that is AA’s policy, that would be self-defeating. We badly need a fresh face in the forwards department in my opinion.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:47 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:32 pm

You weren’t complaining when we beat Farsley 6-0 so I fail to see how you can get to the conclusion AA is the only problem in a few weeks. You’re just a reactionary bag of hot air.

Again, if you want AA, you need to name who should replace him. And don’t say Fenton. Someone who’s failed with a big budget in the division below and has no experience in the NLN cannot be the right answer.

For me, AA needs to look at the striking situation. We’re not getting that right and it’s clear we need a new face in there.
Why does he NEED to name a replacement? What team is in a position to cherry pick a new manager before they sack the current one? And if he can't name a replacement does that mean there isn't anyone out there who would be interested who is better than AA?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:52 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Old Git wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Ok let’s just keep him and stay on a downward spiral. At what point do you suggest we need a change? Perhaps if we lose 10 in a row that would be too much or if we drop into the bottom 3 you would consider that to be the correct time.
As to who should replace him it depends who wants the job. I have already suggested we may need to look at an interim appointment. What I do know is that the longer this goes on, the less appealing we will look to prospective replacements.
By your logic we would still have Tommy Wright in charge. We would probably be back in the Northern League, but obviously nobody else would be up to the job, so that would be fine.
I notice you say AA needs to bring a new face up front but you don’t suggest any names. So I have to name a potential new manager, but you don’t have to name a potential new striker. Wiff of hypocrisy there don’t you think 🤔
Last edited by Old Git on Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:03 am

The weather was awful, I was wet and cold by the end. We were not playing a good team, but they were big!!

Unlike most people on this thread, I thought the team played well for 80mins of the game, they all run, and put in effort and a shift, without really putting pressure on the goal I accept, but much better than the last few games. Although we had several good chances.

We played the same formation as the last game but with more passion imo. Lambert kept going for the full 90mins, O'Neil looked sharper, but still a bit of match fitness to go. Rivers is struggling to make an impact and forward movement improved when KDS came on. May be we need a few games for that formation to bed in.

Shooting is a problem as several players had a chance to unleash a shot but looked to pass so they did not have the responsibility. We know Cassidy is not a goal scorer but his contribution was good during the game and need the others to exploit this.

Disappointing I accept but not downhearted, confidence is a big issue in the team I feel, and not sure how we get out of that just at this time but we have some decent players in the team.

I noticed late on in the game we seemed to have players who were getting frustrated, and then they had a 10min spell, where the defence went to pieces with numerous corners and the goal.

Not sure why our goal was flagged offside, but video will show I am sure.

Difficult for AA now to pull this around without the players pulling together and having confidence in themselves.

Still we are Darlo and it has always been difficult with ups and downs, currently a down I accept, but a long way to go still.

Up the Quakers😁

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:23 am

Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:47 pm
Darlogramps wrote:

Why does he NEED to name a replacement? What team is in a position to cherry pick a new manager before they sack the current one? And if he can't name a replacement does that mean there isn't anyone out there who would be interested who is better than AA?
Exactly this. What an absolutely feeble argument that is to persist with an under-performing management team - oooh, well name someone better? I'm in no way shape or form overly familiar with which managers are punching above their weight across the non-league spectrum because, funnily enough, that's not my job. Clearly they are out there though and I'm sure there'd be more than just one or two who could be attracted to Darlo that would deliver an improved return on the point per game train wreck this season is turning into given what is widely recognised as a competitive budget at their disposal.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:31 am

First off, I honestly can't recall the last time I attended a match in such atrocious conditions the wind and rain was relentless all afternoon, being soaked through and cold to the bone to witness a 1-0 defeat to a late goal was a kick in the b******s to say the least.

Although we didn't deserve to win today, we certainly didn't deserve to lose particularly in the second half where we had them pinned back into their defensive third for long periods but for all of our possession and pressure we never looked like scoring, the closest we came was from a cross come shot from Jack Lambert (that may have had a little help from the wind) which seemed to be dipping in forcing their keeper to tip it over the bar.

Although neither keeper had a great deal to do theirs was certainly the busier of the two and was forced into a few saves, Tommy hardly saw the ball at the other end as we dealt with everything they threw at us until the last five minutes. In truth although there was plenty of effort and industry from the lads we were huffing and puffing in the end, Guiseley always looked a threat on the counter and had a spell themselves towards the end winning a succession of corners, one of which they eventually scored from.

Can I say it was a bad performance? Overall, no but the fact is we lost yet again without scoring, it has eerie echos of that 2003/04 season when we had a succession of 1-0 defeats. There was plenty of desire there but we couldn't score to save our lives and unless Alun performs a Hodgy-esque miracle we are headed for our lowest league position since that ill fated 2011/12 season.

We are now 16th and only 6 points clear of 20th placed Gloucester who we play in a couple of weeks time, I understand we have now won just twice in thirteen games and have now lost four on the spin without a goal in over six hours of football. It's relegation form and the ugly truth is for all the pretty football this team plays they're just not good enough, Alun can bang the drum for them as much as he wants but the longer this dreadful run of form continues he is doing nothing more than blowing hot air.

Kiddy aside, out of Farsley, Telford, Kettering and now Guiseley we have taken 3 points from a possible 12 all games on paper we could and should have got something from, our current form is utterly inexcusable and we must stop the rot quickly before we drop any further towards the bottom but at this stage I just don't see where our next goal or our next win is going to come from.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:05 am

AA has had great difficulty fielding a settled side due to factors beyond his control, Covid, red cards, injuries, transfers out to secure cash and loanee signings who return to their own club at inopportune moments. Can accept all that, yet we lost to a team also struggling but with 5 teenagers & several recent signings who kept plugging away & took one of their few chances late on in the game. We have got to improve our concentration, tactics & game management.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:15 am

Overall I thought we played well at times , moving the ball up to there penalty area, then we were just lacking that final shot on goal or half chance into a goal.
Lambert Hedley Smith and Lawlor played well.

The only short term solution in our lack of goals might be to put Lambert along side Cassidy, he clearly has the ability and knows where the goal is,then use KDS O’Neill or Rivers out wide it’s certainly worth it a try .

Darlogramps

Guiesley Away

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:46 am

Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Old Git wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Ok let’s just keep him and stay on a downward spiral. At what point do you suggest we need a change? Perhaps if we lose 10 in a row that would be too much or if we drop into the bottom 3 you would consider that to be the correct time.
As to who should replace him it depends who wants the job. I have already suggested we may need to look at an interim appointment. What I do know is that the longer this goes on, the less appealing we will look to prospective replacements.
By your logic we would still have Tommy Wright in charge. We would probably be back in the Northern League, but obviously nobody else would be up to the job, so that would be fine.
I notice you say AA needs to bring a new face up front but you don’t suggest any names. So I have to name a potential new manager, but you don’t have to name a potential new striker. Wiff of hypocrisy there don’t you think Image
Given I was one of the leading anti-TW voices on here, you might need to check your facts. Once again you’re at the stage of exaggeration so have no argument, no logic or clue, just insults.

And I’ve already said when I would make a change. Once we’re dragged into a relegation battle. We have nine points on the bottom spot so we’re not there yet in my opinion.

“It depends who wants the job” - so you haven’t got anyone. You don’t even have a name for an interim replacement. You want us to sack AA but have no idea about what comes next. Not even the type of manager you want, or style, or type of football. You’re just an empty sack.

There is no logic to that position whatsoever. If you’re going to get rid of manager, there has to be a plan as to what comes next. It’s reasonable to ask me for your ideas about that change.

Forgive me, but why do I have to name the exact striker? You want to sack AA but have no idea what comes next. All I’ve said is a fresh face up front will benefit us.
You’re getting desperate now.

Once again Old Git, you’ve got absolutely nothing to say. It’s the same tedious ranting. No constructive contributions about what comes next, or how we move forward. Just “sack AA” on repeat. You talk a lot but have very little to contribute.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Guiesley Away

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:52 am

Wijnhard's_Schlong wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Exactly this. What an absolutely feeble argument that is to persist with an under-performing management team - oooh, well name someone better?
Erm, how is that a feeble argument? Surely if you want rid of a manager, there needs to be a discussion about what the next steps are.

Also, I’ve previously given other reasons as to why I think sticking with AA is a better option than changing manager. I don’t need to repeat them every single time this discussion crops up.

It’s not enough to just say “Get rid of the manager”. All you’re doing with that is taking the easy option. It’s perfectly reasonable to ask of those wanting a change about the type of change they want. It says a lot that people like you, Yarblockos and Old Git get so defensive when people ask you that question.

Do you want a manager with a passing style? Someone who promotes youth? Someone with a more pragmatic or direct style? North East-based or further afield? Just something about what you’d like to see.

You can’t say you want change but have no idea about the change you want. There’s nothing constructive in that at all. There’s not a sensible or reasonable position.

If you don’t know enough to be able to do that, well I would suggest you find Google and do a bit of researching, instead of whining like a snowflake every Saturday when someone dares disagree with you.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:56 am

Yarblockos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I would suggest it’s perfectly reasonable to ask someone wanting a change of the type of change they want.

This is my issue, we never get anything constructive from those wanting AA gone. It’s just “He’s got to go”, on a loop (which has only started in the last two or three weeks).

No discussion of the type of manager they’d want to see. Nothing about the type of football they want from a new manager, or style, or what they could do for the club.

Ultimately, if you want change but can’t say what change you want, there’s nothing worthwhile in that discussion.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:06 am

Old Git wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:52 pm
I notice you say AA needs to bring a new face up front but you don’t suggest any names. So I have to name a potential new manager, but you don’t have to name a potential new striker. Wiff of hypocrisy there don’t you think 🤔
Well no.

It would be hypocritical if people we simultaneously said we should sack / get rid of Cassidy.

In fact for me the striker situation is why I have some sympathies with Alun. It is a notoriously difficult position to get players in for within budget, he has had his star man effectively taken.

Telford was as much of a car crash and Farsley was a false dawn. Beyond that what we basically have is a lot of late defeats by a single goal. Given the accusations about defensive frailty we have addressed that I think we look reasonably solid if entirely toothless.

4 wins in 14 is bad, but before the recent run it was 2 defeats in 10 with a notable change of goals scored and subsequent results post Charman departure.
Last edited by lo36789 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:20 am

Honestly, how on earth can any of us mere football fans be qualified to say which manager is the right one to replace AA if he went.
That’s why I believe people like Steve McLaren , David Hodgson have been asked to support DJ in the past because they are clearly qualified to do so.
I terms of what change we would want, said many times, a manager who is more tactically aware, can change formations when clearly not working, motivate his players etc, Currently AA is struggling to do any of these.
Accept that he is a nice guy, gives 110% personally to the job and fully buys into the Fan owned concept, but these are not good enough reasons to keep him.
Results, wins, entertainment, shots on goal, players giving the same level of commitment as him are needed and he hasn’t got that all season apart from odd spells.
Remember you Gramps saying early season that we needed to give him more than 12 games to get it right. Well the last 12 have been worse and we are on a downward spiral, so much as I like the guy, we need new ideas.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:22 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:20 am
Honestly, how on earth can any of us mere football fans be qualified to say which manager is the right one to replace AA if he went.
That’s why I believe people like Steve McLaren , David Hodgson have been asked to support DJ in the past because they are clearly qualified to do so.
I terms of what change we would want, said many times, a manager who is more tactically aware, can change formations when clearly not working, motivate his players etc, Currently AA is struggling to do any of these.
You aren't astute enough to identify someone with those qualities but you can determine someone who doesn't have them?

That is quite the skillset.

Those people you mentioned were involved, and they judged AA to be all of those things.

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:26 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:52 am
Yarblockos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Exactly this. What an absolutely feeble argument that is to persist with an under-performing management team - oooh, well name someone better?
Erm, how is that a feeble argument? Surely if you want rid of a manager, there needs to be a discussion about what the next steps are.

It’s not enough to just say “Get rid of the manager”. It’s perfectly reasonable to ask of those wanting a change about the exact change they want. It says a lot that people like you, Yarblockos and Old Git get so defensive when people ask that question.

Do you want a manager with a passing style? Someone who promotes youth? Someone with a more pragmatic or direct style?

You can’t say you want change but have no idea about the change you want. There’s nothing constructive in that at all.

If you don’t know enough to be able to do that, well I would suggest you find Google and do a bit of researching, instead of whining like a snowflake every Saturday.
Two Saturdays running now constitutes every Saturday does it? Interesting. I've specifically withheld any major criticism up to this point for numerous reasons but there gets to a point when enough is enough. How long are you happy to let the same patterns repeat themselves? Slow start to the season, hugely inconsistent results, inabilities to bring in the correct personnel, nothing changing when on bad runs of form. All synonymous with AA's tenure. If calling the current malaise out for what it is, shite, means I'm a snowflake then so be it.

I haven't the time nor inclination to scour the non-league scene for possible managerial candidates, particularly if it's only to appease your point of view. Serious question - do you think there's nobody who could be attracted to the club that could achieve a better return of 27 points from 25 games given our budget?

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:29 am

The question needs to be ask, if we lose next week, then what? How many defeats? The stats don't lie, the form is awful, the stats are no better than Tommy Wright, we haven't progressed. The season is over. We need to be trying something different with personnel, we need to be getting in loan signings.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:42 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:29 am
The stats don't lie, the form is awful
They don't, but equally surely nobody just takes stats as read and doesn't look at the reasons why? Stats are just numbers, their value is in the subsequent analysis.

Pre Charman unavailability we were 4W 4D 2L.

If a new manager could bring a 20 goal a season striker with him immediately then I think he could potentially get more out of our current budget / set of players.
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:26 am
Serious question - do you think there's nobody who could be attracted to the club that could achieve a better return of 27 points from 25 games given our budget?
Armstrong was 27 points from 21 games. This was a top 10 position which was about right for our budget. Lost our (in all likelihood) biggest earner so is effectively now operating well within expected expenditure.
Last edited by lo36789 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:43 am

Presumably the type of manager we want wins games and the occasional championship --and is available. I won't name names of course but could we .do worse ?

Darlogramps

Guiesley Away

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:49 am

Quakerlad wrote: Remember you Gramps saying early season that we needed to give him more than 12 games to get it right. Well the last 12 have been worse and we are on a downward spiral, so much as I like the guy, we need new ideas.
I have never said that. Can you point me to that please?

Old Git said he needed 10 more but I’ve never said give him 12 more.

And which new ideas do we need? Do you want to see a new style? Focus on youth players? To go completely direct and play long ball? To bring in experienced old heads instead? Switch to three at the back?

Why won’t any of those angling for change tell us about the sort of change they want to see?

Surely it’s not because they’re happy to sound off from behind a keyboard, but have given no thought to what comes next Image
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:01 am

All opinions are personal to whoever posts them it doesn't mean that they are right or wrong in any given situation they are just opinions, I trust DJ and AA to see us through this sticky patch,
I personally don't think we are that bad my personal frustration sometimes get the better and I post something off target, then rethink after cooling down and see a different picture.
O'Neil did find the net, I think he's getting there but alun does need another striker we are Darlington FC.We have been here more than once before, be positive it will come right.its more frustrating to AA and management at this time because they know that the team are better than the results .
I will as always give them 100% backing to get it sorted. I will BTB as usual my club my choice Darlington FC. The fans ownership club ,