Martin Gray

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darloed19
Team Supported: Darlington

Martin Gray

Post by darloed19 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:59 pm

What is he doing now? I’d have him back managing us in a heart beat

AndyPark

Re: Martin Gray

Post by AndyPark » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:03 pm

No thanks.

1. We can’t afford him and his budgets.
2. Some haven’t forgiven him for the way he left us so quickly to piss off to York.
3. Let’s also not forget, he tried to entice Radged Strings back.

Grateful for all he did in his tenure and gave me my best moments following Darlo, but I wouldn’t want him back.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:06 pm

if he comes, I won't be watching anymore.
And I stop my BTB.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:11 pm

Is there any evidence that Martin Gray can work on a restricted budget?

Failed to get promoted from Evostik Div One at first attempt despite the biggest budget in the division.

Failed at York despite being full time in NLN.

I won't stop my BTB or anything like that. I am after all an owner and putting money into the club but I am not convinced his record makes him a good fit for the club.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:32 pm

I have made no secret of the fact that I think he would do a better job, but I have to say I think it is a nonstarter. Some of our fans including members of the DFCSG Board would never take him back, regardless of whether he could help or not.
Personally, I think with DJ and CS running the financial aspects of the club and MG concentrating on the playing side, it would be a strong combination. People are critical of him for not sticking rigidly to the playing budget, but that simply would not happen with DJ in charge.
Makes sense to me to have the best of both worlds, on and off the pitch, but I don’t think it will happen.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:35 pm

lo36789 wrote:Is there any evidence that Martin Gray can work on a restricted budget?

Failed to get promoted from Evostik Div One at first attempt despite the biggest budget in the division.

I won't stop my BTB or anything like that. I am after all an owner and putting money into the club but I am not convinced his record makes him a good fit for the club.
Everybody’s failed at York ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:54 pm

Old Git wrote:I have made no secret of the fact that I think he would do a better job, but I have to say I think it is a nonstarter. Some of our fans including members of the DFCSG Board would never take him back, regardless of whether he could help or not.
Personally, I think with DJ and CS running the financial aspects of the club and MG concentrating on the playing side, it would be a strong combination. People are critical of him for not sticking rigidly to the playing budget, but that simply would not happen with DJ in charge.
Makes sense to me to have the best of both worlds, on and off the pitch, but I don’t think it will happen.
We have a manager in AA or have you forgotten.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:00 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:11 pm
Is there any evidence that Martin Gray can work on a restricted budget?

Top 5 of NLN with a budget smaller than what both TW & AA have had, granted he had significant momentum from the previous year & return home bounce.

It was the start of the season after which went a little pear-shaped with an over-stretched playing budget after some poor signings on expensive contracts.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:05 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Old Git wrote:I have made no secret of the fact that I think he would do a better job, but I have to say I think it is a nonstarter. Some of our fans including members of the DFCSG Board would never take him back, regardless of whether he could help or not.

Given his contributions on this board today, I think it’s fair to say Old Git is living in a world of his own, devoid from any sort of reality at all. Hence why he’s so out of touch.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:57 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:54 pm

Indeed we do. There is no point in speculating on any future managerial change. I just hope that AA can get a result soon and prove the doubters wrong.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:54 am

Because some still have good memories of Martin Gray they think he's the man ,
I have news for you We have a good manager in AA things aren't going for him at the moment but I think he will turn it around, for me it's a big no no for your out of touch choice.
I say again we have a manager who will turn it around. I believe you would destroy the integrity and trust built up since his petulant departure. We are at present a midd table team, I am happy with that this season,

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:25 am

I agree that I think we may as well give AA until the end of the season and possible the start of next. Sadly I am not convinced he is the right man long term but I would be really happy if he proves me wrong as I like the bloke and I know he has our best interests at heart. one thing, BTB may not be quite what is has been in previous seasons as I think the fan base is becoming split towards AA.

Regarding Gray I have heard rumours' from a good source that he has been contacted, possibly as a would you step in if AA was sickened off and resigned, rather than AA being sacked. I don't think Gray is the man to take us forward at all but I do think he would steady the ship and instill some missing passion. To summarise I think we should stick with AA for the foreseeable (unless he resigns of course)and pray he starts to get it right.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:06 am

Heaton out wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:25 am

Regarding Gray I have heard rumours' from a good source that he has been contacted, possibly as a would you step in if AA was sickened off and resigned, rather than AA being sacked.
I find this impossible to believe. The only person who should be lining up Gray is our chairman and because of the way Gray left, and what happened before and after this point, our chairman was not happy about the way things panned out, and he said as such - so I hardly think he’s going to revisit this situation.
Last edited by theoriginalfatcat on Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:31 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:06 am
Heaton out wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:25 am

Regarding Gray I have heard rumours' from a good source that he has been contacted, possibly as a would you step in if AA was sickened off and resigned, rather than AA being sacked.
I find this impossible to believe. The only person who should be lining up Gray is our chairman and because of the way Gray left, and what happened before and after this point, our chairman was not happy about the way things planned out. He said as such - so I hardly think he’s going to revisit this situation.
Well fatcat, for one I wouldn't lie, but maybe Gray has made it up as it came from his mouth at a Teesside based youth football match that his partners child was playing in at the weekend.

Maybe Gray is talking rubbish expecting a call etc

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:17 pm

In that case has Hodgy been approached.
Seems like some are visiting old teams management.. really just rubbish don't believe everything you here .

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:20 pm

What we have in Armstrong is someone who is willing to work within the restrictions created by our circumstances - a fan-funded club without its own ground.

You can argue all day long about whether he's getting good enough results given the circumstances he works within.

What we had in Gray, and would most likely get if we returned to him, is a manager that was very good at getting results but was not willing to work within the financial restrictions of our circumstances. This meant that to achieve success he put our financial position at risk at least once and then tried to tear down the fan-owned status of the club in an effort to achieve more instant results.

I'd take mediocrity under Armstrong for a few years if it means we get progress off the pitch over more "win or bust" under Gray with no progress towards off-field sustainability because all of the money has been spent on players.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:31 pm

Spyman wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:20 pm
What we have in Armstrong is someone who is willing to work within the restrictions created by our circumstances - a fan-funded club without its own ground.

You can argue all day long about whether he's getting good enough results given the circumstances he works within.

What we had in Gray, and would most likely get if we returned to him, is a manager that was very good at getting results but was not willing to work within the financial restrictions of our circumstances. This meant that to achieve success he put our financial position at risk at least once and then tried to tear down the fan-owned status of the club in an effort to achieve more instant results.

I'd take mediocrity under Armstrong for a few years if it means we get progress off the pitch over more "win or bust" under Gray with no progress towards off-field sustainability because all of the money has been spent on players.

Well said spyman and I agree with all above, after the fans forum I am happy to accept a few years of possible on field mediocracy while important off field plans that will shape the clubs future take place.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:46 pm

Heaton out wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:31 pm
on field mediocracy
I mean on field mediocrity is our bread and butter.

We had 26 years in the fourth tier of the EFL last time out and pestered the playoffs on what 3 occasions?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:59 pm

Gray apologised for his insensitive bucket-rattlers slur but essentially he eventually had major issues with how our club was set up, run and financed. His increasingly unreasonable demands put the club in real jeopardy and I'm sure in the end there was some relief when he jumped ship for a place where he thought the grass was greener.

It was ironic that when he finally realised his dream of running a full-time club where he was allowed to throw the money around and sign loads of players he completely bombed, had the entire fanbase against him and was sacked.

He's moved on, we've moved on with a manager who gets us and this Gray nonsense should be put to bed for good.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:19 pm

Spyman wrote:

Pleased to read that you admit Martin Gray was “Very good at getting results “. Pity the same cannot be said for his successors.
He made a big mistake at the infamous fans forum and should have kept out of the financial running of the club. I believe he would not make the same mistakes again. With respect to the people running the club at that time, we now have much more stringent financial controls in place under DJ and CS, and they should be left to get on with that.
Make no mistake MG is passionate about the club and would work his socks off to improve results and performances. If both parties stick to what they do best and focus on the common goals of progress on and off the field we would all benefit.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:43 pm

I’ve never understood why MG is blamed for overspending, isn’t it the boards job to not allow him to do so?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:43 pm

Old Git wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Pleased to read that you admit Martin Gray was “Very good at getting results “. Pity the same cannot be said for his successors.
He made a big mistake at the infamous fans forum and should have kept out of the financial running of the club. I believe he would not make the same mistakes again. With respect to the people running the club at that time, we now have much more stringent financial controls in place under DJ and CS, and they should be left to get on with that.
Make no mistake MG is passionate about the club and would work his socks off to improve results and performances. If both parties stick to what they do best and focus on the common goals of progress on and off the field we would all benefit.
As others Including myself have said,AA is currently our manager,and will be into next season as he alluded to on the recent webinar.He admitted he will not quit so all this talk of Martin Gray is just an utter waste of time and should be put to bed

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:26 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:43 pm
I’ve never understood why MG is blamed for overspending, isn’t it the boards job to not allow him to do so?
Correct.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:28 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:26 pm
CrazyDarlo wrote:
Correct.
Weren't there some promised payments to players which only came to light once MG had left?

FWIW this isn't totally unexpected and from people I speak to seems to happen at every team in non-league when managers leave, guess it could just be a tactic employed by players when regimes change.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:31 pm

Old Git wrote:
Spyman wrote:

You can't compare Gray and Armstrong in terms of ability to get results.

Gray had pretty much free-reign to bring in the best north-east talent in the semi-pro game. He got results with them, but he was working in ideal circumstances (from his point of view) with a board of volunteers who were completely new to running a football club.

Gray left not long after Johnstone came in and gave some experienced leadership. Ironically it was Gray that was instrumental in bringing DJ on board.

Since Gray left, we've had much stronger controls in place to avoid overspending. Wright and Armstrong have both had to work within completely different constraints to Gray, and also at a level where you are starting to compete with bigger clubs in the region for talent.

I don't think it's at all fair to compare Gray's ability to get results with Armstrong. They're working in totally different circumstances and we will never know if Armstrong could have succeeded in Gray's shoes or vice-versa.

What I will concede is that Tommy Wright wouldn't have done as well in either situation.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:33 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:19 pm
Spyman wrote:

I agree with OG here but I'm a Gray ultra anyway. I find it odd that people ask for names of alternatives to AA and also for evidence of competence at our level then get cross about MG's name coming up, again. Would fans really stop going to see the team if he came back, and if he got them winning. Aren't they more likely to stay away if they get seasons of 'mediocrity' I mean honestly are people really happy with that now ? Are seasons of mediocrity really the right spring for better times ? Gray was intemperate but ambitious I also thought he was daft to go to York but after the farce of seat gate you can't blame him and are people really so sensitive they can't forgive and forget ? I would actually be surprised to see him back but if it happened and he could cope with the budget what are the real objections ?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:35 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:I’ve never understood why MG is blamed for overspending, isn’t it the boards job to not allow him to do so?
We hadn't an inexperienced board of volunteers who were tasked with overseeing a manager who had a strong personality and had a career in professional football on and off the pitch.

It's not surprising that he threw his weight around and got what he wanted. You can't entirely blame him but a responsible manager aware of the club's circumstances may have taken a different approach.

I wouldn't have fancied telling him 'no', especially with the fans desperate for the steamroller to continue. Really difficult situation for the volunteer board if you ask me.

DC

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:39 pm

Paras on the above post reversed but in accord. Somebody mentioned Hodgy somewhere so at least we're getting names now. Has Wheater got his badges ?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:42 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:26 pm
CrazyDarlo wrote:
Correct.
Spyman has summed it up well. Maybe if you were on the receiving end of the incessant demands for more from, how should we put it, a challenging personality, you might be more understanding. By the end things were breaking down. MG has major issues with the structure and financing of the club and that hasn't changed.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:24 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:46 pm
Heaton out wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:31 pm
on field mediocracy
I mean on field mediocrity is our bread and butter.

We had 26 years in the fourth tier of the EFL last time out and pestered the playoffs on what 3 occasions?
It is Lo you are correct, but I do sadly miss that Div 4 feethams mediocrity you mention. a real football ground, proper local rivalry, good away followings such as Burnley etc, good away grounds to visit, automatic entry to the 1st round of the FA cup etc etc etc