Fylde v Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Fylde v Darlo

Post by JE93 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:52 am

Tough game away at Fylde tonight.

They've been solid if slightly unspectacular this season and largely seem to have been lacking striking options to support the goals Nick Haughton has been getting from Midfield. Game plan has to be the same as it was at BM, stop Haughton getting on the ball in space and we will have nullified their biggest threat. We need to then show our own quality at the other end which, despite the sale of Charman, there are still players in there capable of scoring goals. Frustration is that this team are capable of the type of performance required to win tonight but the Jekyll & Hyde nature of our performances this season are rather grating. I'd certainly take a point right now and I think a battling strong defensive performance is as important right now. Prove that we can defend effectively and are laying the foundations for better next season.

Not sure what The status of Ellis or Smith injuries are from the weekend. If neither is available to start I'd probably go for the 4-4-2 below. Although if we had a more mobile striker I think we looked better in a 4-3-3 with Hatfield, Purver and Rose, don't think there would be many better CM 3's in the league. Not sure it would work as well with our current options upfront:

---------------------- Taylor ----------------------
Griffiths - Storey --- Lawlor --- Hedley
Rivers -- Hatfield -- Rose --- Lambert
-------------- O'Neill --- Mondal -------------

Subs: Ellis, Wheatley, Purver, Dos Santos, Cassidy

PierremontQuaker03

Re: Fylde v Darlo

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:36 am

We need to start winning games, pure and simple. Has Alun done enough to convince he is the right manager for next season....not for me. We have not even flirted with the playoffs this season, most of the signings have not been up to scratch lets face it. I would take a scrappy 1-0 win and then on to the next one. We seem to do OK against the better side's in the league so I will cling on to that.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:45 am

I can’t see us getting anything tonight.

In our home win, we played to the top of our game (how often does this happen?) plus had Charman up front.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:52 am

Very tough game this, I’d take a draw right now.

Away to a full-time outfit 3 days after our longest trip of the season away to Gloucester.
Fylde will come out all guns blazing, we need to be at our best.

Hope the guys making the trip down make plenty of noise and back the lads from the off. Gutted I can’t get time off work to go mind.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:59 am

Imagine the Alun out brigade are getting ready for tonight.

They will start to position it during the day with terms such as "we must win" "must win game" etc.

In reality it's not a game we expect to win and is a bit of a free hit.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:14 am

That away game a few years back remains with me. I was behind our goal (but 100% sober :D ) and watched as Fylde continually launched rapid, precise attacks at us - switching the ball effortlessly from side to side, while we were clinging to hold on.

My position gave me a goalkeepers P.O.V. of all this and it wasn't an easy watch.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:03 am

Just back the lads 100% and maybe we can spring a shock, it's not impossible 11 against 11 ,
If the true Darlington fc turn up you never know. 👍😉

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:04 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:59 am

They will start to position it during the day with terms such as "we must win" "must win game" etc.

I am unconvinced about Alan but will not be calling for his head if we lose tonight. The reality is I don’t expect us to get anything tonight, so even a point will be a pleasant surprise. That is just where we are right now.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:07 am

lo36789 wrote:

I think it has already started on here if you read between the lines of the 2nd post.
I will be happy with a good performance.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:07 am

lo36789 wrote:Imagine the Alun out brigade are getting ready for tonight.

I think it’s more that they’ll leap on a defeat tonight as vindication of their position, when in reality, as you say, we’re away to a promotion contender so it’s a really difficult game.

We saw some of it on Saturday, after twice coming from behind on a long away trip, with two defenders injured, the AA out brigade couldn’t bring themselves to give even a little praise. It was all “Oooh it’s really apathetic and everyone I speak to agrees with me”.

When we won against Chester, some of them said nothing, some of them took a good day or two to make comment. I bet if we lose tonight they’ll be straight on here calling for AA to go again.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:33 pm

lo36789 wrote:

It's not a must win game. I would expect us to lose away to Fylde in most circumstances. But its not a free hit. This is for the simple reason that we lost at Telford and lost at Guiseley, failed to beat Gloucester twice etc, If you lose games like that then you have to make it up by winning somewhere you don't expect to win. If we lose then it just means we a poor against the bad sides and the good sides.

There does seem to be a general fizzling out of the season, which isn't good given that its February, and also a general apathy around this team (that might not be reflected on here as much as elsewhere). Are there people who genuinely feel optimistic about next season?

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:46 pm

Hope the lads do well tonight and surprise us, I'm not going to get involved in the bickering above, time will tell if AA is the right man for the job, I do feel the season is fizzling out badly, but I guess we just have to be extra patient at the moment.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:53 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:33 pm
lo36789 wrote:

It's not a must win game. I would expect us to lose away to Fylde in most circumstances. But its not a free hit. This is for the simple reason that we lost at Telford and lost at Guiseley, failed to beat Gloucester twice etc, If you lose games like that then you have to make it up by winning somewhere you don't expect to win. If we lose then it just means we a poor against the bad sides and the good sides.

There does seem to be a general fizzling out of the season, which isn't good given that its February, and also a general apathy around this team (that might not be reflected on here as much as elsewhere). Are there people who genuinely feel optimistic about next season?
My point exactly, I am not in the Alun out brigade, but has he convinced us that anything will change next season? Even with Charman we were not close to the playoffs - yes we are part time, and its always difficult Vs the full time teams, but some of the games we have lost this season have been awful. Why aren't we getting some players in on loan to freshen things up baffles me.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:10 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:33 pm
lo36789 wrote:

My point exactly, I am not in the Alun out brigade, but has he convinced us that anything will change next season? Even with Charman we were not close to the playoffs - yes we are part time, and its always difficult Vs the full time teams, but some of the games we have lost this season have been awful. Why aren't we getting some players in on loan to freshen things up baffles me.
Which areas do you feel need strengthening? I think there’s a case for maybe signing a forward, but not sure where else you think we new players.

Plus we have Mondal back looking improved, O’Neill could be about to get going and Cassidy. So we’re not exactly short of options up front. Whether they’re good enough to send us on a run of decent results is another matter.

If we’re building towards next season, signing loan players who probably won’t be here come August feels counter-productive. Surely it’s better to use this time to give players an opportunity to prove why they should be here next season.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:11 pm

Yarblockos wrote:[
Are there people who genuinely feel optimistic about next season?
Not sure anyone can answer that question at this point.

A) We’ve got around 1/3 of the season still to play.

B) We’ve no idea what the squad will look like in August.

Feels a bit excessive to be trying to put a downer on next season already.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:13 pm

It's far too early to be thinking about next season as much as it's too early to start the inquest into this one.

However, to date, it has been a poor season overall we are nowhere near in contention for the play offs and we exited both cup competitions at the first hurdle. I said back in pre-season that it would be a test of Alun's metal as a manager as many of the players who followed him from Blyth had moved on and he was effectively starting from scratch bringing in players whom he hadn't previously worked with.

There were various issues which we all know about that contributed to a poor start to the season and it probably wasn't until October/November that we had something that resembled a settled squad. We' had our moments beating Brackley and Fylde but for the most part we haven't been anywhere near good enough and our cause certainly hasn't been helped in the slightest by the loss of Luke Charman, at the end of the day though we can't dwell on players who are no longer with us and some of those who are quite frankly haven't done enough.

Regardless of tonight's result I'm maintaining my position that sacking Alun will not represent a step forward as I don't believe at this stage we could bring anyone in who will do any better than he his with this squad. My only hope for this season now is that we can finish as strongly as possible and at least inject some positivity into the remaining couple of months, as has been mentioned already there is a growing sense of apathy and it feels like the season is already over in February and we're just going through the motions.

I said in the summer I was ready to be patient and for the most part I believe I have been, hopefully this summer we'll be free of disruption and we can hit the ground running in August but until then there's a lot of football still to be played this season. The onus is very much on them tonight they're at home and it's a game they'll be expecting to win, we have nothing to lose and they'll be looking to keep in touch with Kiddy in third place as it's looking increasingly like a two horse race between Brackley and Gateshead to win the league.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:20 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:11 pm

I have little optimism because of AA's poor recruitment in the summer, therefore I think you would agree that it's understandable that people don't trust him with another.

Darlogramps

Fylde v Darlo

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:44 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I have little optimism because of AA's poor recruitment in the summer, therefore I think you would agree that it's understandable that people don't trust him with another.
I wouldn’t describe it as poor across the board. We signed some dud centre backs but AA has corrected that with Ellis and Lawlor, who are a step up. Martin Gray and Tommy Wright also made crap signings so I don’t see why that wipes out your optimism of next season for you already.

Aside from Beeden and B.Taylor, which other signings would you regard as “poor”?

We’re only in February so it feels slightly ludicrous to be talking down our chances for August. The last two performances have been better and there’s loads to come between now and then so surely the reasonable course is to see what happens.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:00 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:20 pm
Darlogramps wrote:

I'm too disappointed with the way the season has gone, as the previous two truncated ones have had us doing relatively well in the league plus cup runs. This one has had neither.

I was dubious about how far AA had taken us and whether he should continue after this season but one thing has changed this... and maybe people have quite quickly forgotten about the position the club is in after the QA forum a couple of weeks ago. This has now been more established and the question is, "is the club ready for promotion?" and by the sounds of it it's no.

So we now have to manage expectations to an extent, it's a risky balancing act, as it could turn off a few saying "well what's the point" if we're not going to be competitive towards the top half. But if we can hang on to AA then in the long run he is more than a capable manager at this level. If anything we need to do our upmost to try and keep him as long term as possible. DJ and the board have been honest about the club's current position and you have to admire that, my expectations have changed, if we can keep AA, remain upper mid-table/possibly flirt the playoffs and try to have a cup run or two each season for now then that's probably the maximum we should all start to get our heads around.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:31 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:00 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:20 pm
Darlogramps wrote:

I'm too disappointed with the way the season has gone, as the previous two truncated ones have had us doing relatively well in the league plus cup runs. This one has had neither.

I was dubious about how far AA had taken us and whether he should continue after this season but one thing has changed this... and maybe people have quite quickly forgotten about the position the club is in after the QA forum a couple of weeks ago. This has now been more established and the question is, "is the club ready for promotion?" and by the sounds of it it's no.

So we now have to manage expectations to an extent, it's a risky balancing act, as it could turn off a few saying "well what's the point" if we're not going to be competitive towards the top half. But if we can hang on to AA then in the long run he is more than a capable manager at this level. If anything we need to do our upmost to try and keep him as long term as possible. DJ and the board have been honest about the club's current position and you have to admire that, my expectations have changed, if we can keep AA, remain upper mid-table/possibly flirt the playoffs and try to have a cup run or two each season for now then that's probably the maximum we should all start to get our heads around.
Yes, I agree. We aren't in a financial position to deal with promotion at the moment and DJ was realistic about this. I guess this is one good reason for keeping AA in the job, although not exactly a flattering one.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:12 pm

I would say the overwheling majority of signings for this season have a positive tick next to them rather than a negative:

Tommy Taylor, best keeper we've had in ages.
Griffiths, solid enough, experienced full-back.
Smith, good full-back who can link up well going forward.
Rose, very good midfielder.
Purver, hard-working, decent enough.
Dos Santos, shown flashes, jury still out.
Lawlor, good defender.
Ellis, just what we needed overall.
Lambert, excellent on his day.
Cassidy, hard-working and can be effective but suffered after loss of strike partner.
Mondal, didn't work out at first for whatever reason but showing promise now.
O'Neill, we know he can be very effective and maybe now showing signs.
We also had Jake Cooper brought in by AA and he was excellent.
Nelson, most thought worth the gamble, sadly didn't work out.
AA also unearthed the gem that was Charman and we benefitted when the manager got him tied down to a new contract.
Beeden, negative after relying too much on respected recommendation and same with B Taylor.
Sanyang, non-contract, squad, not really seen.
Beauchamp, non-contract, just back up for a time.
Joey Hope, young, eye on future probably, not seen really.

Some mistakes yes but I don't think we're talking disastrous recruitment where you wouldn't trust AA in the transfer market ever again. It's easy just to say overall poor recruitment but I'm not sure that sweeping statement stands up when you look closer. We had a bad run and dropped to mid-table, doesn't mean everything now needs ripping up and start again, especially when we have a manager with a very good, long-term record. Sometimes you have to think bigger than a dip in form.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:22 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:12 pm
I would say the overwheling majority of signings for this season have a positive tick next to them rather than a negative:

Lawlor, good defender.
Cassidy, hard-working and can be effective but suffered after loss of strike partner.
AA also unearthed the gem that was Charman and we benefitted when the manager got him tied down to a new contract.
Beeden, negative after relying too much on respected recommendation and same with B Taylor.

I don't think we're talking disastrous recruitment where you wouldn't trust AA in the transfer market ever again. It's easy just to say overall poor recruitment but I'm not sure that sweeping statement stands up when you look closer. We had a bad run and dropped to mid-table, doesn't mean everything now needs ripping up and start again, especially when we have a manager with a very good, long-term record. Sometimes you have to think bigger than a dip in form.
Added to this the uncertain world with Covid and the financial impacts on everyone (investors/supporters/players), recruiting wasn't going to be as straightforward. We don't know what the future may hold, heck if it isn't a pandemic it may be something else, but with a relatively normal close season it may be easier this time round, so I do have a bit of sympathy in AA's defence for the possible duds that were signed this time around...some are young enough to turn their careers around so all is not lost on them if they are given another chance.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:57 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I would say the overwheling majority of signings for this season have a positive tick next to them rather than a negative:

Lawlor, good defender.

I don't think we're talking disastrous recruitment where you wouldn't trust AA in the transfer market ever again. It's easy just to say overall poor recruitment but I'm not sure that sweeping statement stands up when you look closer. We had a bad run and dropped to mid-table, doesn't mean everything now needs ripping up and start again, especially when we have a manager with a very good, long-term record. Sometimes you have to think bigger than a dip in form.
Good post Lucan.This season is a transitional one imo, we are building steadily and more than happy to finish mid table and look to progress more next season in terms of a stronger squad, improved league position and a decent cup run or two.We do have some good players and as AA has mentioned, another 5 or 6 really good additions could make us very strong.This league is getting tougher every year, a mid table finish is hardly a disaster, AA is moving the training base further South to widen the net for signings and in the meantime we are sourcing a new location away from BM.Patience is key here.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

DarloJason

Post by DarloJason » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:11 pm

For me you have to look at the club as a whole and the direction it is travelling in. DJ is such an asset, he is methodical, realistic and nobody's fool. If you look at the steps that he and the rest of the board have taken I am more than comfortable with where we are now with the resources, future plans and the financial stability that is in place, than when we have had success on the pitch with a club build on sand.

As for AA and his background team, they are passionate about the club, humble and honest and have the support of the board. Lets be honest, they also have a limited pool of resources to pick from. A lot of the work they are doing relies of others coming through too, like the academy lads from other clubs or recommendations from pals. I don't think for one minute DJ would rest on his laurels if he felt a change was needed.

Looking forward to the commentary, another fantastic asset.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:45 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:12 pm

Lawlor, good defender.

Some mistakes yes but I don't think we're talking disastrous recruitment where you wouldn't trust AA in the transfer market ever again. It's easy just to say overall poor recruitment but I'm not sure that sweeping statement stands up when you look closer. We had a bad run and dropped to mid-table, doesn't mean everything now needs ripping up and start again, especially when we have a manager with a very good, long-term record. Sometimes you have to think bigger than a dip in form.
So, if we have a good goalkeeper, two good full-backs, and two good central defenders, why do we have one of the worst defences in the league?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:11 pm

In part because some mistakes were made and the defence had to evolve as we went along.

Anyway, looks like all-change tonight.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:17 pm

Should be said that we conceded nine goals in our opening four games with Beeden, B. Taylor etc.

In total, we’re 16/22 in terms of goal conceded (so six teams have a worse defence than us).

And if you take it from Game 5 when we started playing something resembling our current defence, we’re nearer mid-table. So to say we have “one of the worst defences in the league” is another exaggeration.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s nowhere near the best in the league, but it’s not as bad as Yarblockos is making out either.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:21 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:11 pm
In part because some mistakes were made and the defence had to evolve as we went along.

Anyway, looks like all-change tonight.
Well, I don't think the stats will back you up there as our defensive record is no better than in the first 14 games.

Split the season in two and it's 22 in the first half and 20 in the second.

But maybe this is for another thread

No Hatfield tonight?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:05 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:17 pm
And if you take it from Game 5 when we started playing something resembling our current defence, we’re nearer mid-table. So to say we have “one of the worst defences in the league” is another exaggeration.
Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:21 pm
Split the season in two and it's 22 in the first half and 20 in the second.
Guess it depends when you take the cut doesn't it. I'd take it from whenever we brought Cooper in.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:13 pm

Surely the league table is the ultimate "Stat" - the only one that matters, and the only one that AA can be judged on.

You can't pick and choose where to start from.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!