David Wheater

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

David Wheater

Post by AndyPark » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:56 pm

Signed apparently.

Darlopartisan

Re: David Wheater

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:20 am

Excellent news

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:00 am

It would be great to see him play today at some point.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:39 am

Blimey never thought it would happen, brilliant news and may add a few to the crowd today. Welcome home Dave.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:14 am

That's a big signing for us, well done AA and the club for showing patience and waiting for Dave to fully recover from his back problem.Wonder what our CB pairing will be next season?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:03 am

Let's hope he can get himself back fully fit after his surgery, if he's anywhere near the player who was playing for Oldham not so long ago then he could be a great signing.

Definitely one we need to be patient with though. In my opinion the rest of this season will be about easing him back in and seeing if he's the type of player we need and whether he can be challenging for a starting CB spot next season.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:19 am

JE93 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:03 am
Let's hope he can get himself back fully fit after his surgery, if he's anywhere near the player who was playing for Oldham not so long ago then he could be a great signing.

Definitely one we need to be patient with though. In my opinion the rest of this season will be about easing him back in and seeing if he's the type of player we need and whether he can be challenging for a starting CB spot next season.
If we’ve signed him I would assume we’re paying him so I would hope he’s ready to go,never mind hoping and being patient.We’ve unfortunately had our fingers burnt once this season with Nelson .

Darlogramps

David Wheater

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:32 am

Emdubya wrote:
JE93 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:03 am

If we’ve signed him I would assume we’re paying him so I would hope he’s ready to go,never mind hoping and being patient.We’ve unfortunately had our fingers burnt once this season with Nelson .
Got to love the ignorance of the armchair fan who would rather talk tough than actually engage their brain.

Wheater has had from the sounds of it, pretty serious back surgery just three months ago. He last played competitively in March 2020.

If you expect the Earth from him, you’re setting yourself up to be disappointed. We have three very capable centre backs in Ellis, Lawlor and Storey so can allow Wheater time to build up his match fitness, adjust to this level. And if he impresses in the next few months, he could well be an asset for next campaign.

And you have no idea about his contractual situation (by your own admission). For all we know it could be pay-as-you-play/non-contract terms.

All seems fairly low risk to me, so don’t be worrying your pretty little head about it.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:03 pm

Hope it works out as is if he's still anywhere near the payer he was a few years ago he'll be a huge asset.

A big 'if' though after the injury he's had and at his age - but he's certainly got the potential to be the big nasty b****** at the back that we've missed for some time.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:08 pm

I don't expect DW to make starting lineup just yet, unless one or more of our current CB's is injured / banned. Could be doing his coaching badges and preparing for extending his career into management as eventual successor to AA?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:48 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:08 pm
I don't expect DW to make starting lineup just yet, unless one or more of our current CB's is injured / banned. Could be doing his coaching badges and preparing for extending his career into management as eventual successor to AA?
You may get a surprise today.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:43 pm

I was amazed he lasted the full 90 minutes, when he was feeling his back during the first half. Thought he looked really solid and won pretty well everything in the air. A great addition to the squad, well done AA.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:43 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:43 pm
I was amazed he lasted the full 90 minutes, when he was feeling his back during the first half. Thought he looked really solid and won pretty well everything in the air. A great addition to the squad, well done AA.
Bet he is feeling stiff and sore in the morning.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:44 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:48 pm
jjljks wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:08 pm
You may get a surprise today.
Yep, bit of a stunner but did not expect both Ellis & Storey to be unavailable today. Wheater loomed large over the usual big Chorley lads, brought lot of composure & professional experience to the team. Will Hatfield got MOTM but pushed hard by DW & Tommy Taylor who made 3 outstanding saves to keep ourclean sheet. Great to see DW back in a Darlo shirt.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:42 pm

Sounds like he was excellent today by all accounts. Think we might need to set up a crowd funder for some WD40 for the poor lad tomorrow, he'll be stiff as a board. We'll need to manage that and a week till the next game certainly isn't a bad thing to give him time to recover, time with Danny and more training.

If he can be the commanding CB we need along side a Lawlor or a Storey he could be an invaluable signing.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:21 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:43 pm
Bet he is feeling stiff in the morning.
If not he should get on to Numan, they have things to sort that according to the adverts :think:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:27 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:21 pm
Old Git wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:43 pm
Bet he is feeling stiff in the morning.
If not he should get on to Numan, they have things to sort that according to the adverts :think:
Can you pass on their details to me because I am stiff everywhere except where I would like to be 😂

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:57 pm

Could tell he wasn’t match fit but he’s only going to get better. Plaudits for Jake Lawlor who I thought was excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:13 pm

I spoke to somebody on Saturday morning who had been with David Wheater on Friday evening and apparently he was dead excited about playing for Darlo again.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:26 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:13 pm
I spoke to somebody on Saturday morning who had been with David Wheater on Friday evening and apparently he was dead excited about playing for Darlo again.
I might have believed this if you put it on here before the team selection on Saturday.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:47 pm

My opinion wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:26 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:13 pm
I might have believed this if you put it on here before the team selection on Saturday.
I only gleamed this bit of information whilst working on Saturday morning and I went straight from work to the game on Saturday afternoon.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:39 pm

Good news David Wheater has signed a contract until the end of next season. Hopefully a few more deals to tie up some of our players for next season will follow shortly, but this is a good start.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:55 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:39 pm
Good news David Wheater has signed a contract until the end of next season. Hopefully a few more deals to tie up some of our players for next season will follow shortly, but this is a good start.
Brilliant news 👍

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:00 pm

The captain for next season is sorted. Ideally we would be getting Jack Lambert on a contract ASAP. Big potential for him to be the next Charman.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:35 am

Great news I think Wheater has been a revelation since he joined us. Agreed that he'd make an excellent captain.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:08 am

Great news this and I agree give big wheats the armband!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:51 am

Now to just get Tommy Taylor, Lawlor, Hedley, Lambert Moke, KDS, Cassidy on new deals too.

Would love to sit Danny Rose on a permanent deal, aswell as keeping Tyrone O’Neill. I’d like to keep Cameron Thompson, but he’s a class above our level.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:37 am

It's starting to look like we have a very solid foundation for next season if we can get a few more signed up.

If we can go into next season with Taylor, and then a defensive core of Wheater, Lawlor, Ellis, Hedley, Griffiths and Smith that is a very strong pool to choose from at the back, plenty of competition and cover.

Assuming we keep the bulk of the midfielders/forwards currently on the books then really I think all we'd need to focus on is finding someone to fill Charman's boots and we'll have a very strong looking squad. A straightforward task no doubt about it!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:08 am

AndyPark wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:51 am
Now to just get Tommy Taylor, Lawlor, Hedley, Lambert Moke, KDS, Cassidy on new deals too.

Would love to sit Danny Rose on a permanent deal, aswell as keeping Tyrone O’Neill. I’d like to keep Cameron Thompson, but he’s a class above our level.
Completely agree, Moke has already signed a deal until the end of next season, which is great news. Hopefully more will follow, team spirit is really high right now so no doubt its making these discussions easier.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:10 pm

It just goes to show how much Wheater feels comfortable with us. I'd assume he feels pretty comfortable playing at our level or even the level above.