Darlo v Blyth

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo v Blyth

Post by JE93 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:01 pm

Interesting game coming up tomorrow. Blyth on a poor run (albeit a very good win against Southport the other week) which has seen them slide back down the table after a mini revival under their new boss. Plenty of ex Darlo faces in the team and players who Armstrong will know well. Lets hope its not a happy return to BM for them and we can keep our own run of form going.

No sign of that new striker signing yet, based on the squad we have available to us at the moment I think I'd make the switch from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 and play Lambert in behind O'Neill, give him the license to move where he wants. Across the rest of the team I've stuck with Wheater and Lawlor mainly because it sounds like Ellis and Storey both need fitness tests. Rose and Hatfield sounded like they were excellent last time out and with another game on Tuesday v York can see Wheatley and Purver getting 90 minutes there. Upfront, Tyrone took his goal well last weekend and made himself a nuisance for Hatfield to grab himself one so he keeps his place up top. Need to make sure Dos Santos and Lambert are running beyond O'Neill when they get the chance stretch the game and give us the chance to get behind them.

---------------------- Taylor ----------------------
Griffiths --- Wheater -- Lawlor ----- Hedley
-------------- Hatfield --- Rose ----------------
Rivers ------------ Lambert ------- Dos Santos
--------------------- O'Neill ----------------------

Subs: Martin, Ellis/Storey, Purver, Wheatley, Cassidy

Hopefully a decent crowd in BM for a local'ish game 1600+ and a 2 or 3 nil win would certainly keep the feel good factor that's developing going.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Re: Darlo v Blyth

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:57 pm

Im coming up from Mancland, looking forward to it.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:30 pm

I'm bringing one possibly two extra people to the game, hope the weather doesn't rain on our parade.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:17 pm

Key thing tomorrow is how we deal with a different type of opposition. We’ve played two sides in Chorley and Fylde where we’d be considered the underdogs. Now we’re favourites so will have to handle the game in a different way.

It’s these types of games where our performances have dropped off. This will be a good indicator of whether we have turned a corner and become more consistent, or whether we revert to the frustrating inconsistency we’ve seen so far.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

50 years

Post by 50 years » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:01 pm

York will be a hard game so may need to rest some of our players on Sat for that game. Experience is that we dont do well on Tuesday nights if full team played Sat. To be honest against lower placed team whoever we play we dont know what performance will be. York are in 7th place and they are the ones we need to catch to keep hopes alive (slim I know). So a win is really important in both games so we can keep the hope going.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:49 am

There must be a temptation for AA to go with the same starting X1 as last week with Thompson or Cassidy in for the injured Mondal. However, with 2 games in 4 days there will be a need for some squad rotation over the 2 games. I can’t see Wheater playing both games for example. Maybe he could play today to give Storey and Ellis a bit more recovery time and be rested at York. The good news is that whoever has played recently has done well and we now seem to have a stronger squad that can be rotated without weakening the team too much.
Hopeful of another good performance and win today, even though we can struggle against teams below us in the league. Time to show a greater level of consistency. Prediction 3-1 Darlo.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:30 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:49 am
The good news is that whoever has played recently has done well
I was thinking about this. I reckon it will be hard for other teams to scout us, as at present, we are so inconsistent with who we play and how we play.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:34 pm

On a side note, I’ve just noticed the new sign as I drove into the BM, with our name on it , has it been there awhile?
Or is it just me been in unobservant 😀

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:39 pm

Been there for at least 3 weeks i think

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:43 pm

Bit of a scrappy game i thought but at least we won.
Hope the guy who collapsed near me second half is ok his head didn`t half make a noise when he hit the deck.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:01 pm

I thought we played really well and deserved to win by more than one goal. Good to see a better crowd, although I couldn't hear what the actual crowd was or who was awarded MOTM, but I suspect it was Dos Santos who again was excellent. The defense looks really strong with the addition of Wheatley.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:22 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:34 pm
On a side note, I’ve just noticed the new sign as I drove into the BM, with our name on it , has it been there awhile?
Or is it just me been in unobservant 😀
Be interesting too see the uplift in attendances given we we were allegedly missing loads of walk ups previously when there wasn't a sign.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:44 pm

darlo reborn wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:43 pm
Bit of a scrappy game i thought but at least we won.
Hope the guy who collapsed near me second half is ok his head didn`t half make a noise when he hit the deck.
This was an awful event. And the referee :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: What a complete imbecile. He brought the players out and then allowed the game to restart while the poor chap involved was still getting treatment and one of our stewards had to walk on to the pitch to halt play again. Not a normal refereeing mistake this, and it could of had serious repercussions.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:46 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:01 pm
I thought we played really well and deserved to win by more than one goal. Good to see a better crowd, although I couldn't hear what the actual crowd was or who was awarded MOTM, but I suspect it was Dos Santos who again was excellent. The defense looks really strong with the addition of Wheatley.
For me the defence is stronger because of Wheater. He is composed, vocal and his experience shows through. His match fitness is improving and it is easy to see why we have not looked like conceding in our last two games.
Scrappy game today, but overall I thought we deserved to win.. it's nice to be a winner in a scrappy game for a change. We usually end up dropping points in them.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:59 pm

We passed the ball about quite well in the first half but it became a bit of a scruffy battle in the second half following the long stoppage to tend to the Blyth fan. In all honesty we should have taken one of the presentable chances that came our way prior to finally forcing the ball over the line.

Good to win scruffy sometimes especially against dogged sides like Blyth who battled away all game despite us dominating possession.

I left feeling pleased that we have moved on from the Blyth players we previously had (Maguire in particular looks a shadow of the striker he once was).

We now have the core of a good side for the rest of this season and for AA to take us forward and build on into next season. I'm optimistic about the future and feel the management of the club is in good hands.

This is now a very good run of results with the players' confidence returning and gives some added spice for the test at York where I'm sure we will have a very good following. A little patience after a dip in form is now paying dividends as we get back on track.

Darlogramps

Darlo v Blyth

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:09 pm

Sometimes you do have to win ugly, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing for the team to learn how to do. Not a classic by any stretch but we’ve won and can move on.

Interesting game on Tuesday night now. If we can get a positive result there we’ll be six unbeaten and go into a mini-break with plenty of confidence.

Interesting to hear AA post match talking about how the majority of the squad will be here next season. I’d imagine those conversations are already taking place. Like LoidLucan I think there’s a good core group, and actually a little more beyond that as well.

Hopefully the summer should be about adding a couple of quality additions in the striking department who can take us to the next level, rather than a wholesale rebuild.

And once again AA had a pop at the pitch. Third or fourth post-home game interview where he’s done that. Although I’m sure once Lo’s turned up with his watering can it’ll all be fine.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:29 pm

Yes, think there’s a decent bunch in there. Some must keeps are Taylor, Wheater, Lawlor, Hatfield, Lambert. Don’t think there is anyone I’d be desperate to get rid of but maybe a few we could potentially improve on

Thought we played some good stuff in first half, but just couldn’t get the goal. Still deserved to win and looking forward to Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:09 pm
And once again AA had a pop at the pitch. Third or fourth post-home game interview where he’s done that. Although I’m sure once Lo’s turned up with his watering can it’ll all be fine.
It is less that it will be fine more a case of making it as good as it can be.

Grass doesn't grow again in the UK until late March no amount of will power will fill in the patches in the mean time.

Not sure what miracle people are expecting beyond this.

Having seen it live I still stand by that it isn't as bad as this or a number of other League One grounds.

https://twitter.com/RedAlexCrewe/status ... 7DY6A&s=19

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:56 pm

Try telling that to my grass in the back garden if i get some dry weather i`m cutting it lol!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:15 pm

Crazy to think that if we win Tuesday then we occupy the last play off spot. Probably not for long, but just to talk about the possibility of it is a nicer place to be in than 3 weeks ago.

Darlogramps

Darlo v Blyth

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:37 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:09 pm
It is less that it will be fine more a case of making it as good as it can be.

Grass doesn't grow again in the UK until late March no amount of will power will fill in the patches in the mean time.

Not sure what miracle people are expecting beyond this.

Having seen it live I still stand by that it isn't as bad as this or a number of other League One grounds.

https://twitter.com/RedAlexCrewe/status ... 7DY6A&s=19
If you actually try listening to other people for a change, it’s fairly clear AA isn’t happy with the maintenance of the pitch. That’s at least three interviews in a row he’s complained about the condition of the pitch.

It’s nothing to do with impact of the weather. It’s been bad all season. He’s clearly not happy with how the pitch is being maintained. But apparently you know better than him.

And he’s right. Our pitch is one of the worst in the league, even during the summer months. It was bobbling all over the place during the Alfreton and Bradford PA games.

This is your biggest problem, you think you know everything. I trust AA’s view over some two-bit pub team secretary in Liverpool who tells lies to suit his purpose (I.e. claiming your Step 4 club pays £40k to a groundsman, before backtracking when it became clear that wasn’t quite the case).
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:40 pm

Well that is what it is.

No volume of unhappiness makes a pitch any better.

It would probably be more productive for him to take it up with DJ to see if we can spend money on further maintenance over complaining to a camera.
Last edited by lo36789 on Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Darlo v Blyth

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:43 pm

lo36789 wrote:Well that is what it is.

No volume of unhappiness makes a pitch any better.
Bore off with your empty and patronising comments.

We’re talking about the reasoning behind it. You’re trying to make out it’s all fine and perfectly natural and down to the weather.

It’s not, it’s because the maintenance is inadequate, but you won’t acknowledge that because you have to fall over yourself to lick the backside of anyone in authority (in this case the rugby club).
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Darlo v Blyth

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:45 pm

lo36789 wrote:
It would probably be more productive for him to take it up with DJ to see if we can spend money on further maintenance over complaining to a camera.
Do you really think he hasn’t?

AA will have made his feelings perfectly known. Whether the rugby club allow anything is another matter.

I’ve known anyone who thinks they know so much, actually know so little. You’re embarrassing yourself.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:47 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:45 pm
Whether the rugby club allow anything is another matter.
Ooo what do you know?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:53 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Ooo what do you know?
Don’t be a tit.

You know as well I do that any additional ground maintenance would need to go through the rugby club. Or perhaps you reckon we should send some groundsmen down on a Friday without telling the rugby club?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:55 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:53 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Ooo what do you know?
Don’t be a tit.

You know as well I do that any additional ground maintenance would need to go through the rugby club. Or perhaps you reckon we should send some groundsmen down on a Friday without telling the rugby club?
It would - it would also have to be paid for.

I have no idea what can be done - how much will it cost - is it worth it - do we have permission.

If it was as simple as just do more maintenance then every professional pitch in the country would be perfect but that just isn't the reality.
Last edited by lo36789 on Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Darlo v Blyth

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:59 pm

Hurray.

At least we’ve moved you from “It’s all the weather, it’s all fine, everything is OK because here’s one REALLY bad pitch.”

Congrats on acknowledging the pitch needs better maintenance. How that happens and is paid for is a separate argument.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:22 pm

It isn't just one though is it. The reality is clubs with much greater resources have problems, and if it were that simple they wouldn't

Remember Burton and Fleetwood on top of Crewe.

https://twitter.com/CambridgeUtdFC/stat ... 1jy6Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/Stuart_Watson/statu ... 46N5w&s=19

It isn't a case that "it's fine". It is that it is not as simple as just complaining week to week, or saying "it needs sorting". It's a case of determining what is actually possible and is it worth it.

I remember 2 years ago Tranmere had the worst pitch going. Their groundsman said at the time it was just a case of getting to the end of the season when they could do a proper renovation, there was nothing he could do through maintenance to fix it...they have a different, somewhat more technical approach now!

https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2 ... ch-update/

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:51 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:57 pm
Im coming up from Mancland, looking forward to it.
OK, you're welcome again now the curse has been broken ;)