York v Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

York v Darlington

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:34 pm

Well that’s a disappointment ☹️

onewayup

Re: York v Darlington

Post by onewayup » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:55 pm

Second goal was way offside never 3 goal difference between the teams

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:57 pm

On a positive note, Thompson gets his first goal for Darlo.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:21 pm

That should read 2 goal difference.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:19 pm

I have to say until that crazy spell when they scored twice in 2 minutes I thought we were doing quite well. Second goal looked miles offside but hard to tell from behind the opposite goal. Would have brought Tyrone on before we were 3 down.
It was hard not to be impressed with the new setup down there. Fabulous new stadium, great view of the pitch and an intense atmosphere, in no small part created by a vociferous away following. Really felt a world away from Blackwell Meadows and would love something similar for our home ground. Seems like a dream but you never know.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:29 pm

I have to say we played ok, until goal, they lumped ball up most of the time and we know that is a weakness in our team with a ball over the top. Was not sure about AA's formation with Cassidy instead of O"Neil and no Lambert or Rose in team, (arguably two of our better players), but when I looked at the bench after the game there was not much option for change, although strange that it is always KDS taken off when he was causing most of the problems for York.

Heard from several York fans that 2nd goal was way offside.

Disappointing, and the season now, I think, is about building for next year, so AA needs to be getting plans in now,

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:45 pm

Thought Thompson was our best player, never stopped running and he scored the best goal of the game. Great support tonight, as 616 Darlo fans made the trip.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:54 pm

Have to say the stadium was very impressive and streets ahead of anything in our league including Fylde.No complaints about the result even though we matched them for most of the game but we never tested Jameson enough.Cassidy was woeful and Rivers did very little, we were not holding the ball well enough and they seemed to have an extra man in midfield.Couldn't understand not bringing Tyrone on and badly missed Rose and Lambert .York were nothing special, playoffs pretty much beyond us now and time for AA to get planning for next season.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:03 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:54 pm
Have to say the stadium was very impressive and streets ahead of anything in our league including Fylde.
Very smart stadium indeed, if it were in Bootham Crescent's location it would be spot on, my only other gripe other than where it is situated are the prices £20 for NLN football is extortionate to say the least.

Can't complain too much, overall we didn't play badly tonight the game was lost in a couple of minutes of madness in the second half we huffed and puffed but never looked like getting back into it although the scoreline flattered them somewhat, on a positive note though it was an excellent solo effort from Cameron Thompson for our goal tonight shame it was only a consolation but nevertheless a moment of individual quality hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

Tonight's result also seems to have all but killed off our already faint play off hopes but we can take plenty of encouragement going forward it looks like things are starting to come together but unfortunately it appears we've just run out of time this season though credit must go Alun and the lads for the way we've turned it around in the last few weeks.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:02 am

Back down to earth with a bump. Seemed to have been containing York for more than an hour without us really testing Jameson at other end. Couple of mistakes by Wheater, proving 2 games in 4 days was probably a bit too much for him just now. A blatant offside missed by amateurish officials and in a mad 5 minutes we lost the game.
Couple of positives from the game, Thompson's great goal - hopefully first of many more and the stadium - this is what we should be aiming for in the future.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:26 am

Have to agree about the stadium very impressive however I do miss going on the train with a bunch of people.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:55 am

York's stadium cost nearly £45million - so I'd keep that in perspective whatever happens on the ground.

That equates to 50% of DBC annual revenue budget.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:47 am

50 years wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:29 pm
I have to say we played ok, until goal, they lumped ball up most of the time and we know that is a weakness in our team with a ball over the top. Was not sure about AA's formation with Cassidy instead of O"Neil and no Lambert or Rose in team, (arguably two of our better players), but when I looked at the bench after the game there was not much option for change, although strange that it is always KDS taken off when he was causing most of the problems for York.

Heard from several York fans that 2nd goal was way offside.

Disappointing, and the season now, I think, is about building for next year, so AA needs to be getting plans in now,
Agree never understand why Cassidy flicks the ball on when other forwards are out on the wings, might work with Tyrone but waste of time otherwise. First half we controlled game and had a few long range efforts. Second half the wheels came off, York changed the team and it worked, our distribution was at times very poor, Rivers couldnt tackle a rice pudding and was lost on the ball. AA took a chance on Wheater but unfortunately didnt work out thought he would be subbed at half time after injuring himself when he lost the ball. Lawlor was ok but York forwards closed his rightside down quickly as they realised he cannot kick with his left foot(ever) Thompson excellent my MOTM and taking KDS off instead of Rivers is my only moan. Surprised Wheatley didnt get sent off in his cameo

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:59 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:55 am
York's stadium cost nearly £45million - so I'd keep that in perspective whatever happens on the ground.

Is that just the stadium, or does it include all the leisure centre bits too? But either way, I find it hard to believe we can afford a new stadium anyway, (although trust DJ that he thinks its possible!) let alone one which is 10s of millions of pounds.

I'd prefer something more like FCUMs ground than York's anyway - all seater stadiums at ~40% capacity just feel a bit souless, and that's with a decent away following and crowd noise too.

As for the game - thought we played OK, without really threatening York too much. The second goal (which will be interesting to see back on replay as he was in so much space, so something went wrong somewhere) so soon after the first killed the game, but we were second best on the night overall, so no complaints. Thompson looks like he's got something about him though.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:39 am

al_quaker wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:59 am
lo36789 wrote:

Is that just the stadium, or does it include all the leisure centre bits too? But either way, I find it hard to believe we can afford a new stadium anyway, (although trust DJ that he thinks its possible!) let alone one which is 10s of millions of pounds.
No idea I am just going by reported figures - possibly all in.

I agree to be honest. Though FC United is 50% flat standing it just looks a bit more grand.

Theirs cost £6million, pre current inflation and that was with getting most of the expensive structural steel from Northwich Vics.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:57 am

Not the result we wanted but considering they are full time with a bigger budget than ours I’m not too downhearted. I was drinking with a York supporting friend after the match and he said a lot of their fans felt the scoreline flattered them. We’ve got a break Saturday now so Wheater can get rested in time for Hereford.

I didn’t begrudge paying £20 in the end, it felt like we were back in the league again last night, packed away end and a great atmosphere. I could hear the noise from the away end walking towards the ground and as much as I used to enjoy Bootham we could never get as much of a atmosphere going in there. Like the posters above I had definite ground envy last night.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:03 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:39 am
al_quaker wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:59 am
lo36789 wrote:

No idea I am just going by reported figures - possibly all in.

I agree to be honest. Though FC United is 50% flat standing it just looks a bit more grand.

Theirs cost £6million, pre current inflation and that was with getting most of the expensive structural steel from Northwich Vics.
I'm not sure about 'grand' but possible more appropriate for a lower league/non-league side. Actually thinking about it - some sort of combination of Fylde and FCUM would maybe be ideal for us - 1 big seater stand, 3 sides of covered terracing, but contained and not too big. That would be the dream for us I reckon....of course, building a stadium is expensive, so I will take what we can get!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:05 am

Had AA brought on the substitutes after 65 minutes I think we could have got something from the game. Our lads worked hard and were shattered flagging by then. We are part time whilst York city are fulltime. It showed later in the game .
Why our players stop when they believed that the York player was offside is indefensible because we stopped it gave their player a good 5/8 yards clear to score the second goal. We have got to learn to play to the whistle. For me alun left it to long before giving the substitutes a chance to pull it back. Just my opinion. Other than that we didn't disgrace ourselves well done
Lads.

Mission Impossible

Post by Mission Impossible » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:41 am

Back to earth with a bump.

Impressive ground. Free Wi Fi too.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:33 am

Agree re subs, few mins of madness cost us.

Cant fault the players for effort, fans just class again.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:44 am

Think we'd better start fundraising! Wimbledon 's said to be £32 million and Brentford's £71 million. I like FCUM's ground, maybe by shrinking the stand and end terrace and terracing the other bits it would be better?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:34 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:47 am
Agree never understand why Cassidy flicks the ball on when other forwards are out on the wings, might work with Tyrone but waste of time otherwise. First half we controlled game and had a few long range efforts. Second half the wheels came off, York changed the team and it worked, our distribution was at times very poor, Rivers couldnt tackle a rice pudding and was lost on the ball. AA took a chance on Wheater but unfortunately didnt work out thought he would be subbed at half time after injuring himself when he lost the ball. Lawlor was ok but York forwards closed his rightside down quickly as they realised he cannot kick with his left foot(ever) Thompson excellent my MOTM and taking KDS off instead of Rivers is my only moan. Surprised Wheatley didnt get sent off in his cameo
Makes me wonder if some people were at the same game. Rivers contributed far more than KDS who was poor after the first 20 mins or so. Rivers also set up the goal.
When Cassidy flicks the ball on he's relying on people being on the front foot looking for the flick ons, but just because he flicks it on doesnt mean we have a divine right to get the second ball before opposition. Also, other than the goal, Cassidy had our best two attempts on goal and was inches away with the second one.
If you want to be picky and name players who didnt perform then why has Wheater not been mentioned? He rarely won a header when challenged and looked slow. I think he was one that with hindsight should have sat the game out as the rush of games after so long out looked to have caught up with him.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:46 pm

loan_star wrote:
eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:47 am
Makes me wonder if some people were at the same game. Rivers contributed far more than KDS who was poor after the first 20 mins or so. Rivers also set up the goal.
When Cassidy flicks the ball on he's relying on people being on the front foot looking for the flick ons, but just because he flicks it on doesnt mean we have a divine right to get the second ball before opposition. Also, other than the goal, Cassidy had our best two attempts on goal and was inches away with the second one.
If you want to be picky and name players who didnt perform then why has Wheater not been mentioned? He rarely won a header when challenged and looked slow. I think he was one that with hindsight should have sat the game out as the rush of games after so long out looked to have caught up with him.
Having a read of the York City forum there’s several posters on there asking why they missed out on KDS as “He was head and shoulders their best player and caused us constant problems until he was subbed late on”

All about opinions I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:56 pm

m62exile wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:46 pm

Having a read of the York City forum there’s several posters on there asking why they missed out on KDS as “He was head and shoulders their best player and caused us constant problems until he was subbed late on”

All about opinions I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Compare KDS from saturday to last night, it was like two different players. When on form he has massive potential, he has all the attributes.
But you can also see why AA takes him off too, second half he was reactive rather than proactive and looked like the game was passing him by.
Rivers on the other hand, can look lightweight and can be frustrating, but you rarely see him out on a limb not contributing. I think an issue he has is that Griffiths doesnt overlap like Hedley does so he ends up being stuck for options so has to go back over. I do agree though that he sometimes tries to beat his man again despite beating him once! A bit like Drew Coverdale back in the day.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:30 pm

There's some really good comments on this thread :thumbup:

Firstly the ground - it is impressive and we decided to go up high in the big main stand as this is the position I like best when watching football, and what a great view we had. The flood lights in particular were brilliant, no pun intended.

As for the game, I thought York were the better side, but so they should be - but we put on a good display and did the best we could.

To echo some of the comments above, Wheater looked shagged out after about half an hour and at round about that time he seemed to make a mistake out to the side of the pitch when a York player very easily outfoxed him, perhaps it would have been better to rest him last night? Thompson took his goal well but Rivers to me wasn't really in the game.

Re their second goal I couldn't work out what happened, either our defence dropped a clanger or the linesman did because the ball was pumped forward into a massive hole, and the inevitable happened.

I thought York looked a good strong team, and they played as a team too. Perhaps after numerous managerial changes they've finally got it right.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:38 pm

I thought it was a really strange game the way it panned out. With 25 minutes left we had more than held our own, probably played the better football and I thought it would probably be a draw although we might nick it.

I don't think anyone (including the York fans) thought it would develop in the way it did. The first goal was a bit of a fluke in that it was just a cross but should have been defended much better, the second was way offside and you would have expected the officials to do much better with what should have been a routine decision.

In the first half their player clattered forcefully into Hatfield and got a yellow which on another day might have been a red. It was a far worse challenge than the one that Cooper was red carded for in the game against York at BM.

All in all I don't think anyone should feel too disheartened or go OTT about the result. We largely competed well and played quite well in the main against a full-time side on a terrific run but some things went against us and it shouldn't dent confidence too much. I'm hopeful we can have a fairly strong run-in.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:47 pm

........ Of course The Phantom Flare Thrower reappeared too!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:53 pm

Here is the York managers view on their 2nd goal, taken from the Yorkpress match report.

"That set us off, then there was Mitch's goal, which looked about 300 yards offside."

Case closed.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:45 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:53 pm
Here is the York managers view on their 2nd goal, taken from the Yorkpress match report.

"That set us off, then there was Mitch's goal, which looked about 300 yards offside."

Case closed.
What it looks like and what it is with offside aren't always the same. He is miles ahead when everyone looks.

If you don't believe me - the first goal on this clip was onside - but it relied on a wide angle camera on the opposite side of the pitch to prove it. The independent view on the day was that it was miles offside and would be incorrect.

https://youtu.be/g5LqbsAazDs

And the same with 05:40 on this clip

https://youtu.be/5rfiaTMC9l0

Manager on this one said in his post match interview that the goal on 50 seconds was offside, and the independent view post match was it looked incorrect but live and die by what the footage shows.

https://youtu.be/FxVge-1HYsM

I've checked and York's footage is too zoomed in to catch it. It comes from too deep depends where Kev was he might have a wider angle.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:14 pm

It was definitely off side a friend who is a York city fan was directly in line and doesn't know how the linesman allowed play to continue. He said the player was a good 5 yards offside if not more. He also said the score flattered York and a draw would have been a fairer result.