New stadium funding

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New stadium funding

Post by onewayup » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:07 pm

BTB has and will continue to be a big part of the club funding here at Darlington fc because Darlington fc are a fan ownership club, it's upto the fans how far and how quickly the club can climb up the league's .Mr David Johnson has been along with DFCSG instrumental in consolidating our position within the community whilst searching through the funding availability to ascertain from their prospective how best to move things forward with the club ,for me they are doing just fine, :thumbup:

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:42 pm

The new ground to me seems pretty redundant. Fair enough if we don’t have the budget or resources to be able to compete in the NL. however, I don’t see building a £5-7 million new ground is the right move. Surely, the repayments and the interest alone won’t allow us to move any higher in terms of becoming a professional club. Surely, the right move is to either stay at BW until we are financial stable enough to build a stadium with little or no investment or purchase BW and develop that which will be significantly less. If we played it smart and get promoted this season and didn’t go all out trying to build a NL squad, but trying to maintain the squad now it could be beneficial. No ambition, sure, but better than remaining in limbo which we are currently are in. I don’t mind coming straight back down. At least we will gain extra revenue from higher attendances and visits from ex-league 2 giants with big followings allowing us to generate more this extra revenue and potentially attracting investment to get a new ground. I rather be yo-yoing between NL and NLN, than a middle of the road NLN with the promises of a new ground which might not even bare the fruits that is promised.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:15 pm

darloed19 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:42 pm
The new ground to me seems pretty redundant. Fair enough if we don’t have the budget or resources to be able to compete in the NL. however, I don’t see building a £5-7 million new ground is the right move. Surely, the repayments and the interest alone won’t allow us to move any higher in terms of becoming a professional club. Surely, the right move is to either stay at BW until we are financial stable enough to build a stadium with little or no investment or purchase BW and develop that which will be significantly less. If we played it smart and get promoted this season and didn’t go all out trying to build a NL squad, but trying to maintain the squad now it could be beneficial. No ambition, sure, but better than remaining in limbo which we are currently are in. I don’t mind coming straight back down. At least we will gain extra revenue from higher attendances and visits from ex-league 2 giants with big followings allowing us to generate more this extra revenue and potentially attracting investment to get a new ground. I rather be yo-yoing between NL and NLN, than a middle of the road NLN with the promises of a new ground which might not even bare the fruits that is promised.
At our current ground we can only accommodate 600 away supporters. I can see only 5 or 6 of the current National League team selling that out and even then that is not a lot of money at all. A couple of those probably won’t even be in that league next season! The only way we could make money from tickets alone would be an FA Cup run ending at a premier league club.

From what I gather from the fans forum DJ has said we’ll never be able to make any money from BM but if we had our own ground we could have 3G pitches that we could rent out. We would also have several units at the ground which would make us self sufficient as match day income twice a month 9 months a year is not enough. I think he said Starbucks in particular would be rather profitable!

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:21 pm

not for me never ever been to Starbucks

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:37 pm

You can't please all the people all the time. However you can try to please most of the people most of the time.
So for me it's a yes to the plans for a new stadium and moving forward. There will be a way. I,m sure that those in charge will do their utmost to get the very best deal for Darlington FC. I trust them 110% to get the right deal.👍

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:43 pm

onewayup wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:41 pm
Not this crap again some need to do a little research before posting.
1) we will not own our own ground until it's paid for.
2)we are only able to get to this stage of present discussion because of grants funding from several areas which have,or are being sourced by the club.
People are jumping on here without any forethought as to how their posts could potentially scupper all the hard work already done by those that know what is what. It will happen it takes time. 👍
Not sure if that was aimed at me, but speculating *where* this would be hardly seems to undermine your point?

I also don't quite understand how us speculating would possibly scupper anything. No one is scouring this board for our hot takes, we really aren't that important.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:47 pm

TKOA wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:15 pm
darloed19 wrote:
At our current ground we can only accommodate 600 away supporters. I can see only 5 or 6 of the current National League team selling that out and even then that is not a lot of money at all. A couple of those probably won’t even be in that league next season! The only way we could make money from tickets alone would be an FA Cup run ending at a premier league club.

From what I gather from the fans forum DJ has said we’ll never be able to make any money from BM but if we had our own ground we could have 3G pitches that we could rent out. We would also have several units at the ground which would make us self sufficient as match day income twice a month 9 months a year is not enough. I think he said Starbucks in particular would be rather profitable!
If we go up, we would have to expand the stadium anyway. It's big enough to go up, but not to stay in the national. We need an extra 600 capacity I believe. To be completed by some point during the season. I'd imagine we would get enough from promotion to be able to cover the terracing necessary but it would certainly wipe out any attendance related benefits financially.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:59 pm

If I’m not mistaken we can’t even add to the seated stand because of that bloody pipe! We could certainly put terracing at the open end of course, not a clue how much that would be. Isn’t it nice to be able to think about the possibility of promotion again, it’s been a while!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:15 pm

I believe so. It would provide quite the conundrum if by some miracle we won the playoff this year and there's also long term stadium plans. Whether we could build something that could go to a new site, who knows.

Left field location... Teesside Airport? Throwing money at that thing seems to be popular, why not build us a nice stadium there. It even has its own railway station and plenty of parking.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:54 pm

I recall at the last Webinar DJ said that the Rugby Club would not allow any further development of Blackwell Meadows, so staying there is not really an option if we want to move up the pyramid.
As for Teesside Airport I understand that it has been considered as a possible location but dismissed as too far out of town. I can see the attraction as although it is a long way out, there are good road links in place and plenty of land available. I continue to have faith that the Board will have something to announce in the near future and we need to be patient a little longer.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:12 pm

Reading through the regulations for the ground size at NL level. It says that ground must have a capacity of 4000 with the potential to expand to 5000. Currently, BW only has a capacity of 3,300 I believe… so if we do win the playoffs does that mean we won’t be able to go up and if we are how long are we allowed to continue in the league before starting works on the ground?

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom- ... ashx?la=en

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:27 pm

darloed19 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:12 pm
Reading through the regulations for the ground size at NL level. It says that ground must have a capacity of 4000 with the potential to expand to 5000. Currently, BW only has a capacity of 3,300 I believe… so if we do win the playoffs does that mean we won’t be able to go up and if we are how long are we allowed to continue in the league before starting works on the ground?

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom- ... ashx?la=en
Apologies, we need an extra 700, not 600. This has been covered on here before. I think there's considerable leeway with the 5,000 thing because you don't actually need it to stay in the league (I think it's a requirement for the football league) so you don't actually have to put it into action (there's a good degree of interpretation of the word 'potential' I would assume). You do need to get it up to 4,000 though. Farsley and Guiseley, for example, scraped that when they went up. Currently, Wealdstone and Maidenhead just scrape a 4,000 capacity. I'd be certain we would have a plan in place for that eventuality, but of course now it sounds like we are hoping to move on, it's potentially a frustrating cost, albeit likely offset by promotion itself.

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:29 am

I reckon there’s a prospect for it to be at the new Skerningham development although I can’t see that ever going ahead to many people against and will take years. Also IMO it would be further out than the Arena.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:38 am

So how about a ground share with Stockton? Any spare land in Long Newton or Sadberge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:43 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:38 am
So how about a ground share with Stockton? Any spare land in Long Newton or Sadberge Image

Yes as already stated, loads at Teesside Airport.

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:13 am

H1987 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:47 pm
TKOA wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:15 pm
darloed19 wrote:

If we go up, we would have to expand the stadium anyway. It's big enough to go up, but not to stay in the national. We need an extra 600 capacity I believe. To be completed by some point during the season. I'd imagine we would get enough from promotion to be able to cover the terracing necessary but it would certainly wipe out any attendance related benefits financially.
Larger changing rooms required as well, Let’s have a play off run with the financials gains but we really couldn’t afford to go up with the costs of increased playing budget and ground improvements required.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:36 am

Potential ground share with spennymoor? 😂

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:11 am

A 3G pitch would never generate £200,000 a year :lol:

Breaking that down, that would be approximately £4000 a week, or just shy of £600 a day.

Even if 3 five a side pitches were created, that is still £200 per pitch per day practically every day of the year.

So you'd need 5 bookings of £40 an hour, every day for all 3 pitches.

In a town that already has 3g pitches at Hummersknott, Longfield, Carmel and Eastbourne.
Think before posting

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:05 am

Bushead, trust you to deconstruct an argument with logic, reason and evidence. It just won't do.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:40 am

Old Git wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:43 am
Quaker85 wrote:
So how about a ground share with Stockton? Any spare land in Long Newton or Sadberge Image

ground will be in Darlington as DJ stated when we moved to BM from bishiop to generate income we need to be in the town and build strong commercial relationships. Possible new shirt sponsor HM treasury with proviso we gain non dom status

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:44 am

eddie-rowles wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:40 am
Old Git wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:

ground will be in Darlington as DJ stated when we moved to BM from bishiop to generate income we need to be in the town and build strong commercial relationships. Possible new shirt sponsor HM treasury with proviso we gain non dom status
Hey, Teesside Airport is DL2 ;)

West Park / Sandringham would be an absolute nightmare for traffic. It's bad up there anyway already before they add any more developments, let alone a football ground. A dedicated, out-of-town option is possibly preferable to forcing it 'inside the town' but at such an end of it / with bad connections it becomes a nightmare to get to either driving or by public transport. It possibly also avoids the tedious NIMBYism it's bound to face.

That said, we're beggars not choosers in this situation.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:10 pm

How far is York City ground, from York city centre?
Anyone

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:28 pm

BUSHEAD wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:11 am
A 3G pitch would never generate £200,000 a year :lol:
I mean your logic is pretty sound to be honest.

I got a £200k figure from a presentation to clubs regarding 3G pitches. It is a Sutton United case study.

Admittedly it was principally a sales pitch.

"Delivered in tight 8-week schedule
Promoted to National League in first season of use 2015/16
Reached 5th round of FA Cup 2016/17 season
£200,000+ revenue p/a from pitch hire alone
Doubled crowds, generating additional revenue (tickets, food,
merch)
Promoted to League Two 2020/21"

I don't know what the hire rate is down that way.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:36 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:10 pm
How far is York City ground, from York city centre?
Anyone
3 miles approx

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:08 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:40 am
Old Git wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:

🤣 Could say we already have had non dom status since being kicked out of the Arena! Mind, we have had a shed-load of foreigners playing (well) for us over the years & it would explain a lot!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:40 pm

I think Skerningham Village is most likely to be the venue, but I think for many supporters Teesside Airport would be just as convenient to access. It all depends where you live of course, but for many it will take as long to get to Skerningham as it would to get to the Airport, and possibly cause less traffic congestion in the town.
Presumably, it will all boil down to where the Council are prepared to give us planning permission and which site is going to be most suitable from a commercial perspective. Where ever it is lets embrace the opportunity and get behind the Board and make it a success.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:14 pm

Wont please everyone unless its in town centre which wont happen. Faverdale?
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:54 pm

Teesside airport would be a nightmare. I don’t think anywhere could feel more soulless than a industrial estate / barely used airport site

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:10 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:54 pm
Teesside airport would be a nightmare. I don’t think anywhere could feel more soulless than a industrial estate / barely used airport site
Better prepare yourself for a disappointment then. I doubt pretty surroundings are going to be high on the list of priorities.

Darlogramps

New stadium funding

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:57 pm

The idea of playing near Teesside Airport is ludicrous. It’s halfway between here and Stockton so we couldn’t legitimately say we were playing in the town.

Fortunately Old Git is wrong about everything (saying Armstrong should be sacked and that our season was over in January being particular favourites) so I’m relaxed it won’t be an option. Largely as it would kill our fanbase who wouldn’t travel that far out.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY